OtakuBoards

Excel Saga

TheDarkOtaku

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kinoko Shima [/i]
In the manga, Menchi's name is Mence. I don't know why they changed it, but I like the name Menchi better. Don't ask why. ^_^ [/B][/QUOTE]

Mence was named Menchi because Menchi is japanese for minced meat..........mmmmmmmmmm Menchi which is what Menchi is, food with legs who looks like a cat.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
yay! i love excel saga! its hilarious. excel is my favorite, her ramblings and odd ideas make the anime even funnier.I've never seen the anime, but I've read all of the manga that is available at the moment. I almost bought the first dvd, but my mum was like "JESSIE! this is rated 17+! You can't get it!" Needless to say, I was very angry. Does anyone know WHY it is rated 17+? [maybe if its a very small reason my mum will let me get it....lol]

Anyway....Hyatt is pretty funny also. She reminds me a lot of Mutsumi from Love Hina. The way they always faint and stuff......I feel bad for Mince...being an emergancy foos supply and all..that must really suck.....poor Mincey....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Figures that just about any show I watch that I haven't seen before ends up having a thread that's months old lol. But I suppose that this is a perfectly good thread and there's no sense in making a new one and cluttering up things.

Anyway, I've wanted to watch Excel Saga for a while now, and I recently bought the boxset. Everything I'd heard about the series suggested that it was bizarre, twisted and hilarious; in other words, right up my alley. I just finished watching the final episode, and I'm just in awe at how insane this whole series was lol.

From start to finish, the series was just hilarious. A couple episodes dragged slightly, but there are funny moments in every episode. And I think that this is the only show in which I actually watched a flashback episode (and Excel Saga has two of them lol), since Excel Saga actually presented them in a unique and bizarre fashion.

A lot of what happens in the show reminds me of what a Tex Avery cartoon would be like if it were on crack, speed and acid all at once. Excel Saga takes the funny slapstick and bizarre wit present in the old Looney Tunes cartoons and amps it up to the highest degree. Sometimes, it's a bit grating, but most of the time it proves to be a very funny formula.

I don't think I could choose a favorite character or episode; there are so many memorable examples of each. Just about every character in the show seemed to fit right in along with the others, and several of the episodes stand out among each other.

However, you can't really end an Excel Saga discussion without mention of Episode 26...that was just wild. Half the time I was cracking up with laughter and the other half was spent with me just staring at my computer screen and muttering "Holy mother of god, what did they just do?" lol

So, yeah, I like Excel Saga a lot, heh. It's a very funny series and I think that the humor can stand on its own merits enough to appeal to anime and non-anime fans alike.

I've always been wary of Excel Saga, heh. I really dislike a lot of comedic anime (such as Happy Lesson, Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl and Love Hina), particularly those which involve excessive amounts of shrieking and random slapstick. FLCL is well-made and has some surprisingly thoughtful moments, but I don't find it even mildly amusing. Keeping that in mind, would it make any sense for me to give Excel Saga a try?

~Dagger~

Well if FLCL doesn't amuse you then I doubt that Excel Saga would. I just started reading the maga nad its actually very intelligent at times and also extremely random.

Almost like FLCL.

And why don't you like Love Hina it's a great series and doesn't have too much slapstick except for the first episode.

[quote name='PNK']Well if FLCL doesn't amuse you then I doubt that Excel Saga would. I just started reading the maga nad its actually very intelligent at times and also extremely random.[/quote]

Personally, I found Excel Saga to be far funnier than FLCL.

I think that if you could possibly rent Excel Saga somewhere, Dagger, you should try that so that you can get a feel for the series (I'm assuming that you've not seen any episodes, heh). Excel Saga has a lot of witty, well thought out parodies to go along with all the random slapstick humor, and I think that contrasting humor works well in Excel Saga's favor. However, the randomness is taken to an extreme, at times, so if you're wary about Excel Saga, then I'd suggest borrowing one of the DVDs from a friend (if you know anyone who has it) or renting it from somewhere (assuming you can find it anywhere).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vixon
i know what you mean. my cousin was the first to tell me all about the anime, an i just had to high tail it over to vintage stock and buy the entire saga. my fav episode has to be either the one where elpallazo is playing that sick dating game, or the one when those little aliens are in the sewers. either one is hysterical. though, i got a little uncomfortable in the extra last episod. it got a little too skanky for my taste. another great anime, that has that afro guy in it is puny puny poemi. i didn't like it as much as excel, but it had its hilariouse parts, and alot of hidden things in the fast dialogue and backround. :D

• 6 months later...
[color=DarkGreen][size=1]Yes. He needs his own series. Nabeshin is categorically the man. Nobody who can pull that much stuff out of his hair (I counted a pump-action shotgun, two machine guns, a grappling hook and a rocket-propelled grenade launcher all in one episode) can possibly fail to be the coolest man alive.

Well, fictionally.
[/size][/color]

[center][color=DarkGreen][size=1]:faint: YOU'VE MET NABESHIN?!!? :faint:[/size][/color]
[/center]
[color=DarkGreen][size=1]
NOW I'm jealous. You've officially made my list, Kabapu :naughty:

What was he like? As wacky and zany as his [i]Saga[/i] alter ego? Or a big disappointment? I've read the interview with him on the [i]Saga[/i] DVDs, and he seemed disturbingly normal.
[/size][/color]

the guy's almost exactly like his [I]saga[/I] counterpart at times, but at other times he's almost normal. i think it revolves around what he eats for brekfast.

seriously though. he's a grat guy who's a great laugh.he gave me a hint that nabeshin saga (don't hold me to this) just [I]might[/I] be coming to anime screens!