OtakuBoards

Excel Saga

TheDarkOtaku

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Ok I saw this a couple weeks ago, at my friends house.. And it was funny at first.. But after I saw 3 episodes I had to stop.. It was just TOO CRAZY. Everything was wacked, And Excel's voice almost made me cry.. I hate it.. Its so so High picthed. I woulda liked to wacth more but I just had to stop.

Have any of you seen it and are really into it? I cant stand it AHHHH

Hey theres nothing wrong with Excel Saga, its supposed to be crazy, just as Excel is supposed to be annoying.
She's supposed to represent all of those bubbly, hyperactive girls, found in so many anime titles. But she deffinately takes those annoying qualities, to the EXTREME!!!:devil:

I own the entire series on DVD, and am a big fan. My advice to you is to give it another chance, it'll be a shame to miss such a great anime series.

But thats just my opinion.:D

WHAT!!!! Excel saga is great. The first episode cracked me up so much. It is like the funniest anime ever, i couldnt stop laughing. And menchi, menchi is the best anime pet ever. Must eat...Menchi.

Anyway though if you continued to watch the whole entire anime you would have seen that there was a plot to it. Yes its true the craziest anime had a plot to it. I just loved how it made fun of anime so much, i mean come on an anime making fun of anime how can that not be funny. The only episode that was pretty weird was episode 26 anyway, they kinda over did it with the blood a little and some other parts as well. That was still a funny episode just because they mention Steven Spelberg (however you spell his name) in it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by pbfrontmanvdp [/i]
[B]Anyway though if you continued to watch the whole entire anime you would have seen that there was a plot to it. [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]I don't believe you.

I saw the first couple episodes at a friend's house, and it was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life.

Quite funny, though. Heh.[/SIZE]

I love this anime! It's the most funny anime I've ever seen. I makes fun of everything from popular anime genre to popular American films. I mean, when you can squeeze parodies of Gundam, Titanic, and Journey To The West alltogether in only 30 seconds, that's comedy.

I only have the first 2 volumes. From what I can gather, the plot doesn't seem very thought out at all. Of course, I've only seen the first third of the series. I can't wait to see where the story goes, and how many other jokes they can possibly throw in there.

And like WW2 said, Excel's voice is supposed to be high and squeaky. In Japan, her voice is done by the actress who plays [i]the[/i] magical girl, Usagi. In North America, the dub actress got so worn out trying to make Excel sound crazy, that she strained her voice and had to be replaced before the dubbing was finished. It's all intentional.

Also, Excel Saga is the only anime I've seen where a character's dub voice is better than the original. Pedro is supposed to be a Latin foreigner, but speaks broken English in a thick Japanese accent in the original version. The dub actually made him speak Spanish.

Excel Saga kicks-***. It makes FLCL look tame. Frankly I find Excel to be annoying, but then again, that is the point. Her partner, the "Anemic Martian Princess" (since I forget her real name), is amusing simply because she cannot stand up and move at the same time. :D And let us not forget Pablo (is that his name?), the one poor sucker in the show that cannot catch a break. By far the best is Lord Illpalazo (sp?). :p

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I don't believe you.

I saw the first couple episodes at a friend's house, and it was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life.

Quite funny, though. Heh.[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Trust me Sara, there is a plot....doesnt start to come until the 20th episode but there is a plot, and its a pretty good one. Well not the best, but for a crazy anime like this it was a pretty good one. Then episode 26 comes in and that doesnt go along with the anime at all (plot wise) really so the real ending is episode 25. So basically what im trying to tell you is buy the 1st, 5th, and 6th DVD's and thats the whole part with the plot and everything.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Black_Phoenix [/i]
[B]Her partner, the "Anemic Martian Princess" (since I forget her real name), is amusing simply because she cannot stand up and move at the same time. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

LoL Hyatt she is amazing shes great when she dies 20 million times in each episode. LoL im sry but i dont think ive seen a character who has died more than Hyatt has.

I LOVE EXCEL SAGA!!! It's the funniest, most insane anime i've ever seen! I have all the DVD's and i can't wait to get the spin-off Puni Puni Poemy(sp?)! About it having no plot, thats pretty much true until about episode 20. And Episode 26....................is the [b]wierdest, scariest, most insane[/b] thing i've ever seen! I would definitely recomend watching Excel Saga.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, my school's anime club is showing this series for the month of September - the entire series, cramming so many episodes into every Friday night. Reading all the posts, this anime sounds enjoyable, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should be forewarned about before viewing. That is, is there anything that isn't in your everyday anime, or some type of mindset I should discard before watching the series?

Thanks in advance.

You should discard your brain before watching this series. If you go expecting a deep, serious plot; you will be burned, and badly. This series is pure madness, especially during the first and last episodes.

I've only seen up to episode 13, and it has really been enjoyable until now. The amount of subtle jokes pushed in every episode is ridiculous!

"Ooops, I dropped 500,000,000 yen."

Ah, Excel Saga.. A wise choice of manga for Viz to translate and ADV to dub.. Great series, a pseudo-recognizable plot and enough drama behind the doggy Mince to keep me buying the manga.. I [i]would[/i] buy the anime, but it's just so much more expensive, ya know?..

I liked the first volume (Up until the Christmas episode) so much.. I read it at least 20 times over when I was in Pittsburgh a week ago. Then I bought the second volume with a gift card.. It wasn't as weird-funny as the previous one, but it was interesting to see [spoiler]Excel and Hyatt's neighbors joining the opposing world domination crew which secretly kind of rivals ACROSS[/spoiler].. It was more of a plot-enriching set of episode for me, and not so much plotless weirdness.

Poor Mince.. She (I could have sworn the preview chapter that Viz put out at anime cons this summer said Mince was a guy) was taken in by those jail peoples.. And they all quite possibly fried..

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B]Poor Mince.. She (I could have sworn the preview chapter that Viz put out at anime cons this summer said Mince was a guy) was taken in by those jail peoples.. And they all quite possibly fried.. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think that in the anime the dog was a male. And they called him/her/whatever Menji (IIRC). Maybe mince is the translation for the dog's name.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Black_Phoenix [/i]
[B]I think that in the anime the dog was a male. And they called him/her/whatever Menji (IIRC). Maybe mince is the translation for the dog's name. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah.. I looked at that preview manga from Viz yesterday and it referred to Mince as a "he.." That would make the scene (At least in the manga) when Hyatt is in the bathtub and the dog looks sorta freaked out have more sense.

But I read the dog bowl of Mince's in the manga.. I knew enough Katakana to know it was written as "Minsu" (?~???X for those of you who have the Japanese alphabet on your computers), so that must mean that ADV changed the name some.. I'm guessing.

I have seen this anime; the Excel Saga; multiple times. A word of advice: only watch the subbed version. They ruin a lot of the comedy, jokes, and voices in the dubbed version.

Another thing is that this is pretty much nothing like FLCL(I own 'em both, and watched 'em both more than twice). Excel Saga plays on anime stereotypes so much stronger than FLCL. Also, the stereotypes in ES are about content of anime, while FLCL places the spotlight more on those who watch anime(the father knows a LOT of anime).

OH! and if you have a problem with the first 3 episodes, I caution you about watching the 26th episode; wherein the jokes become more graphically adult in nature(...not gonna even try to explain...)

Poor Menchi...I'm hungry...

They didn't damage the dub, they just made it better. Unless you live in Japan (or are a REAL hardcore Otaku) most of the jokes would fly over your head. And don't get the started on the stupid Japanese wordplay jokes. ;)

One thing I don't get is the complaints about the voices sounding cheesy. HELLO, the show is as cheesy as you can get! Pedro's dub is a masterpiece.

[color=indigo]Heh, I've seen most of the series. My brother has the entire series on DVD, and I've gotten to watch 'em except for a few in the middle of the series. Personally, I liked Excel Saga more than FLCL. Excel Saga had me practically doubled over with laughter most of the time, and to me, something that can do that is dang hard to beat. Dragon Half came close, but it was too short. :cross:

Definitely a great series--one of the funniest things I've ever watched. I don't even remember very much of the story, I just remember it was incredibly hilarious. Who cares about the story when it's that funny. :toothy:[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Turkey [/i]
[B]They didn't damage the dub, they just made it better. Unless you live in Japan (or are a REAL hardcore Otaku) most of the jokes would fly over your head. And don't get the started on the stupid Japanese wordplay jokes. ;)

One thing I don't get is the complaints about the voices sounding cheesy. HELLO, the show is as cheesy as you can get! Pedro's dub is a masterpiece. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sure....they didn't damage the dub...and the stock market crash of 1929 didn't TOUCH the economy...It's not like the CIVIL WAR changed anything either...NOW lets all go to unrealistic idealist land and be happy, where there is no racism or poverty in our world!

Fool! the jokes, and wordplay are what make it Japanese, thereby making it ANIME! Without it, the show is on par with such "greats" as Gigli, and Friends! You have no idea what you're talking about...watch the subbed version before you pass judgement, you clod.

It's fools that judge like that that make me hate most others that are too complacent in their way of life to try anything different, that will probably be better!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TheGodlyME [/i]
[B]Sure....they didn't damage the dub...and the stock market crash of 1929 didn't TOUCH the economy...It's not like the CIVIL WAR changed anything either...NOW lets all go to unrealistic idealist land and be happy, where there is no racism or poverty in our world!

Fool! the jokes, and wordplay are what make it Japanese, thereby making it ANIME! Without it, the show is on par with such "greats" as Gigli, and Friends! You have no idea what you're talking about...watch the subbed version before you pass judgement, you clod.

It's fools that judge like that that make me hate most others that are too complacent in their way of life to try anything different, that will probably be better! [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I love you too.;)

Look, if you are a purist, good for you. The dub was in no way damaged. Hell, if it is, I want some examples.