OtakuBoards

Dubbing or Subtitle?

Sweet Pie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally prefer subtitles hearing the same american voice actors used over and over again in many anime series is quite annoying. There have been some 'liveable' dubs such as Rurouni Kenshin but then you must look on the opposite end at something like DBZ and you fall over in pain. The truth behind why I prefer subtitling over dubs is that with subtitling you often get a better atmosphere when your watching the anime as I feel the Japanese Seiyuu (sp?) convey their emotions better in their tone of voice. The subtitling is often more true to the original Japanese script aswell. The downside is that for many people (at times even including myself) reading the subtitles and what not can make a famous line less memorable. For others subtitling can also be a pain to read (I honestly never understood this complaint... In fansubbing there are times when this is true they might flash a screen then flash a new one with different words, but in corporate subbing this is a rare occasion.). But all in all I think subbing just outweighs dubbing in that it is more true to the natural form of anime.

[COLOR=coral]I'm not angry. I just felt that maybe some people don't even know the name of the seiyuu. Dubbing not much of a problem but you got to just give a thought on the [B]original seiyuu[/B]. I'm not saying that japanese name should be associated here. It's just that you should put [B]some[/B] of their names here because they deserve it. Didn't they?

*p/s: I'm not a guy, ok ^_-?[/COLOR]

In general, if I had the choice I'd prolly take the sub over the dub. I've really got nothing against the dub but it just tends to be whenever I watch them, the english voices don't seem to match their characters too well. This isn't the case for all shows like Ranma 1/2 where the japanese voices were alright and the English ones were the same quality so I had no preference. For shows like Cowoby Bebop or Kenshin, I really like the subtitled version better because I tend to feel the japanese versions on Kenshin's and Spike's voice fit better. I don't know if i'm littled biased for those though because I heard the Japanese voices first and the dubbing just sounded awkward after that.

I've heard some of the people who prefer dubs say they have trouble reading the subtitles and catching the action on screen at the same time. It's definitely something you gotta get used to but I know it's something everyone can manage. I've been a very slow reader in school but when I watch subs, I don't have any trouble reading subtitles and watching the rest of the screen. It's a matter of personal preference but I like the japanese version better because I prefer the authencity and the voice acting.

Guest Teammayhem
A lot of people perfer subs, but it depends for me. Some dubs suck, but some are good. The Cowboy Bebop dub is excellent. That's why I perfer watching anime on DVD. You can choose between the two.

[quote]A lot of people perfer subs, but it depends for me. Some dubs suck, but some are good. The Cowboy Bebop dub is excellent. That's why I perfer watching anime on DVD. You can choose between the two.[/quote]

Going along with what Teammayhem here said it is possible to watch an anime dubbed with subtitles, although honestly I do find that to be more tedious and subtracting from the anime experience instead of adding to it x_X.

• 2 weeks later...
Most times, I have found that it depends on the anime. I find the dub of Cowboy Bebob the verbal equivalent of chinese water torture. It just sounds so cheesey at times. On the other hand, the dub of Dai-Guard is great because the V.A.'s are able to easily convey the comedy and/or the drama of a scene.

I dont really perfer one to the other. I enjoy watching either way, but i do fink its really unfair that some dubbed stuff is changed.
Its easier to watch anime when its dub but i always wonder wot the original voice sounded like.

• 5 months later...
When I was watching Trigun in Japanese I found that the Japanese Vash seemed less emotional and passionate than the english Vash who not only yells love and peace but gets it stuck in your brain for weeks. Along with that I have an opinion that the Japanese Rem is better at the role than her English counter-part because she just seems more into the part.
This is just my opinion.

If you have seen any anime where you think one person is better at a role than another please tell me which anime and why you think that way.

The only example that I can remember is Serena from Sailor Moon. In the English dubbed version, she sounds really annoying. In the subbed version, she her voice is a whole lot more tolerable and nice to listen to.

[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]Ryo_Sagara, it seems a little strange just trying to point out which dub a person thought was better in some random anime. I think it'd be cooler if we talked about "the state of the dubs" instead: you know, what your title implies. There's a lot to talk about with how English dubbing compares to its original counterpart, rather than just stating a simple opinion. In addition, people will make references to certain animes and how their dubbings contrast, so your question will be covered as well.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]So, is it ok to shift gears and talk about that, instead of comparing two dubbings of one anime?[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Part of the reason why the Japenese original sounds so different is because during the process of dubbing from one language another things such as scene length and animation of mouths has to be changed so that it doesn't look off (anyone who has seen monkey magic will know what I mean). This means that once you watch an English dubbed anime in Japanese it doesn't seem quite the same.[/color][/font]

I usually like to just watch both. There are some anime's that I like better in Japanese, and some I like better in English. Fruits Basket, for example, I like both ways, but I think it's funnier in English. Then there's Chobits ehich I can't stand in English. A lot has to do with the company that licences it. Some are good, while others are horribly bad and make you want to stab your self in the face repeatedly with a fork *cough4kidscough*

When an anime's dub is well acted and accurately written, I'll usually choose to watch the show in English. Artwork is very important to me, and I'm better able to enjoy high-quality animation when there aren't any subtitles to obscure parts of the screen. I am, however, an extremely fast reader, so a hideously bad dub won't convince me not to buy a series that I know is good.

I'm glad you mentioned Fruits Basket, moogle, because it has one of the best dubs [i]ever[/i] made (in my opinion, at least). I much prefer the English version to the original. The Big O's dub is also superb.

gumby: I don't think I quite understand what you're suggesting. As far as I know, most companies (with the exception of 4Kids and Nelvana) don't edit their anime in order to prevent lip flaps or whatnot. Could you please give some examples of this--or, better yet, offer me links to a couple of reliable sources that back up your assertions?

~Dagger~

I myself usually go for the subs. Simply because I know in every 9 out of 10 anime I watch the sub will be better. Part of it is because the Seiyuu are always just way more into it, and usually have more emotion and really bring the character to life more so than the english voice actors. But, then again, it's a bit easier for them to be good in some aspects because they usually record at the same time, so it's easier for them to feed of each other. An other advantage is that most fans over here can't understand the language, so all we pick up is the general emotion and can't tell if they stressed the wrong words and what-not.

Sometimes though a dub will appeal to me though, such as the case of Cowboy Bebop (I hated Ed's Seiyuu and thought the Dub Actress just had wayy more energy, suiting the way I see Ed more) or Evangelion (Though the *** track is still better, I just like the english track). The crew for the Slayers dub was fantastic (A lot of VAs changed during/after the first season, so think NEXT), and I really wish they had all been brung back for Premium (But all we got was Crispin Freeman. One of my favorite English VAs, but I still end up putting on the sub track everytime I watch). I miss David Moo, Lisa Ortiz, Veronica Taylor, and especially Eric Stuart!:(

English VAs are also just too quiet for me sometimes when they need to be louder and bigger. Or when they are supposed to be quiet, they end up sounded bored and emotionless, or it's very clear that not only do they have no idea what they're talking about, but they have no confidence in their speech either. Sometimes it's not really their fault though, as certain companies didn't bother to get professional VAs in the past and instead just used people from the company. Glad that doesn't happen very often anymore (Though it'd kind of sad when they do get proffessionals and it still sounds bad).

When getting a new anime, I usually try to listen to both tracks and pick which ever I like best. I don't do it by watching an episode in one language then watching it again in another though, as you will naturally be inclined to go with whatever you heard first because you've grown used to hearing the character like with that voice. I switch every minute or two. It may detract a bit from my experience, but I always do research to find out if I'll like a series, or I do a coin toss if it's a movie and maybe I'll switch to the other track for a bit near the beginning.

Overall though, I usually prefer the subs. Dubs aren't bad, and I even have a ew favorite English VAs, but rarely do I prefer the dub over the sub. :)

[color=darkblue]It depends.

I usually enjoy the subs much better. They are more graphic, for one thing. The dubs tend to be more edited. I like seeing a ****** or a "****" or spurting blood or nudity every now and then. It's the animal in me (sorry Asuki). Plus, I find that with the dubs, they sometimes change things.

But, then again, it can get annoying reading the words at the bottom of the screen. I can't focus as much on the action if I'm reading the whole time.

If I'm really familiar with the story, it's a moot point, though.

The voices: Vegeta, I have to say, sounds much sexier in English. Sorry, that's just the way it is.[/color]

[quote name='Lady Macaiodh][color=darkblue']I usually enjoy the subs much better. They are more graphic, for one thing. The dubs tend to be more edited. I like seeing a ****** or a "****" or spurting blood or nudity every now and then. It's the animal in me (sorry Asuki). Plus, I find that with the dubs, they sometimes change things.[/color][/quote]

Unless you're referring to series released by 4Kids or Nelvana (Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.), I can assure you that the shows in question are only edited for TV. Nowadays the vast majority of anime is available fully uncut, even if censored versions do exist--as in the case of Yu Yu Hakusho. Most DVDs are bilingual, with both the Japanese and English versions completely unedited.

If anything, anime dubs are sometimes racier and more explicit than the original. ADV's Saiyuki dub script, for example, ramps up the show's homoerotic undertones and cursing.

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1][color=deeppink]I have to say, that overall I prefer dubs. Quality is getting a lot better, and quite frankly, many Japanese voices kind of annoy me. That, and my attention is very easily distracted, so sometimes I'll be paying attention to what they're actually saying, and I'll miss the translation and have to go back, or I'll be reading the translation but I won't be able to focus on what's going on otherwise.

With English, it's a lot easier for me to understand the emotion they are trying to portray, and I'm not distracted by anything. Of course, I'm not saying that I don't prefer a sub to a dub every now and then, but overall, I like my English.

-Karma[/color][/SIZE]

Yeah, I'd have to echo Dagger's comments. With shows like DBZ, you can get them unedited for official home use last I saw. Meaning from the real companies and not some awful fansub distribution channel that adds more swearing to the anime than was even there in the first place. Just because something is edited for TV does not mean it's edited on tapes and DVDs.

I don't have a preference. If the dub is god awful, then I use the sub. If I find the Japanese voices overly grating, I watch the dub. Honestly, I don't understand Japanese and I don't pretend to. For all I know, some Japanese voices that we like are considering absolutely terrible in Japan. In general, I like to watch things in their defaul language, Japanese, German, Italian or whatever it may be.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
In the end I think it depends on the quality of the voice acting. Even if you do not understand a language you can tell by intonation and tone what emotion the actor is trying to convey. If the English voice acting outshines the Japanese, then it makes perfect sense to watch something dubbed. Otherwise, subbed will be higher quality.

One dubbed anime that I can't really stand is Sailor Moon. Compared to the Japanese version, it is really bad. Also, Inuyasha,Ranma 1/2, and yugioh dub isn't to good. Some dub that I think is okay, are Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star. Mostly anime on Adult Swim are the better dubs, in my opinion.

[color=darkblue]I'm pretty much in line with Tony here. It all depends on which track sounds better to me. Though it's sometimes hard to choose with some animes with me (i.e. Yu Yu Hakusho. I love John Burgmeier's voice with Kurama, but Kuwabara's seiyuu cracks me up, lol.)

Although, I tend to watch both tracks, just to see how the subtitles differ from the English voice-overs. Just a weird thing I do, I guess.[/color]