OtakuBoards

PaintShop Pro vs. Photoshop

Shinken

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these two programs, but I'm not sure which one is better. My main plan for using them is for whatever I draw that I want to scan in (obviously), and so I'm curious as to which one will perform better overall. Please respond, I'm really confused. (i.e. [b]ZHUH!?[/b] )

[size=1] Fact one: Photoshop is about $500 or whatever and PaintShopPro is just about...$100.

PSP can be just as good as PS, even though it takes longer to create something on PSP than on PS. But like I said, they're basically almost the same and PSP is a lot cheaper. If you're willing to spend the money, though, I believe PS can be better than PSP at coloring and background designs.[/size]

[color=darkblue]
[size=1]
Well, I've tried both programs. Photoshop IMO works better than PSP. i mean really, there really has to be a reason why it's 400 dollars more. Plus, it's much more easier for me to find tutorials for Photoshop.
If you want to make those awesome backgrounds, with all those trendy effects, I'd also reccommend to get PS. (Although, you've got to be [i]really[/i] advanced to do that kind of stuff. But with practice, anyone can probably do it.)

Then again, you can always download the trial version of both and see which one you like better.

Hope that helped,
[/color]
[/size]

I'd have to agree, photoshop is not only easier and more effective, its more professional.

PSP I find is too basic, photoshop quite literally has everything. I would recommend photoshop to anyone looking for a program of that nature. Its by far the best out there, but also the most expensive.

I'd advise trying to get a copy on disk from a friend or downloading an "illegal" version from kazaa for example. I personally wouldnt even think about purchasing photoshop or PSP for the prices they charge, especially when its easier to get it for free anyway.

So yeah, if you're despret, then photoshop, if you're not too bothered, PSP, if you can live without, then do so, its much better to get a free copy anyway.

*wouldnt advise [i]buying[/i] either of them*

actually, I find PS just plain... more complex and slower (ram-eater :eek: ) than PSP.

PSP had an integrated picture cutting (for the web) way before Photoshop. Last time I attempted (Which is a while back) to save an optimized JPG in Photoshop (With the special tool whose name I can't even recall), it freezed my computer!

You might want to look at [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34238]this thread [/URL] for some personnal opinions of both programs.

[size=1]I personally prefer Photoshop over PaintShop Pro. I do not think I have ever really seen a PSP graphic I have preferred over a PS one, however, that could just be because of the people who have been creating them.

I have not really worked too in-depth with PSP, but when I did use it just to see what it was like, I was very confused. This was probably just due to the fact I am so used to PS.

I hardly use PS for graphics anymore simply because I do not have much purpose for them right now. However, I use it for anything and everything I do. Whether it be making a graphic, coloring in pictures I have drawn and scanned in to the computer, resizing and/or cropping photos, photo editing, etc.

I am sure they both are capable of the same things in general, but I have always used PhotoShop.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][size=1]I personally prefer Photoshop over PaintShop Pro. I do not think I have ever really seen a PSP graphic I have preferred over a PS one, however, that could just be because of the people who have been creating them.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
Oh, thanks. >.<
Okay, I'm just kidding. I, personally, prefer PaintShop Pro (take that!) over Photoshop. I've downloaded them both and much prefer PSP for it's simplicity.
Photoshop is complicated. Oh, and lemme tell you that I've self taught myself on PSP. Nobody's told me anything, eveything is from me. (I think that's why people like my backgrounds so much ^^).
Price. Price is the all-mighty ruler in this kind of situation. Both programs are expensive, but $400 for a paint program? That's ridiculous, no matter how good it is. You can think of it as "there goes my paycheck" (that is, if you work. I'm only 12, so I don't get a paycheck).
[url=http://www.jasc.com/shopping/catalog.asp?]Here[/url] is the offical...site for PSP. The "boxed" version, as they so call it, is only $87 at the moment.
Yeah, I'm done. What it all comes down to, however, is how much you're willing to shell out for a paint program. Good luck.

Photoshop is a MUCH more powerful program than Paintshop Pro for your basic needs PSP would suffice. Another program to think about (which I only have breif experience using) is Adobe Illustrator I do believe it is cheaper than Photoshop yet a tad more expensive than PSP (i'm not 100% sure on that :P). But basically PSP has a more user friendly userface especially compared to that of Photoshop 7.0 or C.S. what you might want to do is see if you can get a hold of Photoshop 6.0 (once again im not sure of the price but it is cheaper than 7.0 =P) and be happy with that (Photoshop 6.0 has a much better interface than that of Photoshop 7.0 =\).

That $500 price tag is like when Photoshop was first released: you're really getting ripped off if that's what you buy PS for now.

I've seen PS go for as low as 30 bucks at some websites. I think it's because 1. it's been out for so long, and 2. there are newer versions (or there will be newer versions soon). Anything around 50-100 dollars would be a reasonable price today, IMO.

As for which one I prefer, I never used PSP, so I can't give an unbiased opinion. However, Dark Death used to say that while PS is harder to learn, you do get significantly better with time. He added that PSP users don't tend to improve all that much.

I thought that was an interesting comment - something you might want to think about before you decide.

[quote]I've seen PS go for as low as 30 bucks at some websites. [/quote]

While your right about it probably not being 500 bucks anymore (CS may still be around that price range -_o maybe more towards 300-400) For as low as 30 bucks something is seriousley not right here... I just thought i'd add that because that is extremely rare to find any worthwhile design program even if it has been out for a while for that low...

I prefer Photoshop over PaintShop Pro by far. I am only able to use PSP at home and PS at school. I bought PSP7 about 2 years ago for $90. I really would prefer to have PS though, but I don't have that kind of cash and I can't d/l it on this computer. I have PS quite simple actually, like anything else it takes practice to get the hang of.

[color=red]I myself am used to PSP, and I can work with it well, while I can hardly work with PS (in my opinion)

My vision would be that PS is more profesional but that PSP is a bit clearer in the use of it.

Ex. (PS) [IMG]http://apoco.250free.com/01.PNG[/IMG]

It is very sharp and clear and stuff. This was only made in a few so eh... Its not hard to make something like this. I was messing with a foto for about 10 mins ^_^[/color]

If you're actually thinking about being legal, all you can really bother with is Paintshop Pro. The newest version of Adobe Photoshop is CS, and it's nearly $800, I believe.

Otherwise, there's always Gimp. It's opensource, so it's free. It's not quite as streamlined as those two programs, but you will get used to it. It can pull off pretty much anything the other two will.