OtakuBoards

Do you consider yourself a real Otaku?

Moor_Child

I've been wondering this for a while, how many of the people here at the OB consider themselves to be real Otakus. Perhaps I should have started this thread in the Anime Lounge, but I know more people come to the Otaku Lounge than the Anime Lounge, and I didn't think it was all that anime related, but I could be wrong.

What I mean by real Otaku is do you watch a lot of anime? Do you know some anime vocab? Do you own lots of anime? Stuff like that. I've read in some peoples profiles that they don't even really watch anime. I know some of us are just here for fun.

Well anyway, I'm not really trying to get at anything. And I'm not trying to be rude either, not at all. I'm just doing this out of curiosity. I myself wouldn't exactly call myself an Otaku, even though anime is all I watch.

So, what I'd like to know is do you consider yourself a real Otaku?

[color=blue][size=1]In all honesty, I don't consider myself to be an Otaku. I do know plenty of Anime 'Vocab', but not enough to understand everything.

I watch plenty of anime as well, but not NEARLY as much as others. I'm limited to what's on TV. I normally watch DBZ (even though it's old), Kenshin and other things on Cartoon Network. Does anyone here watch Tech TV's 'Anime Unleashed'? That's where I watch a lot of different animes like 'Boogiebop Phantom'.

Anywayz, I'm close, but not a full Otaku yet. I'd say.... 'bout another couple months before I become an Otaku. Dunno... maybe longer or sooner, it all depends.

~Likes To Read Manga Out The Yin-Yang~[/color][/size]

I guess to answer your question, I'd have to say to some extent I am. I absolutely love anime, but I wish I could watch more. I am also limited to the stuff on TV, because DVD's are really expensive ($75 for an Outlaw Star box set!). I'm not as much of an otaku as my ex-girlfriend though. She has watched anime I've never even heard of. I never really noticed really how many anime shows there were. Everything from Excel Saga to Cowboy Bebop. On the bright side, there are more genres to choose from :D

[size=1][color=chocolate]Putting it as that, I don't consider myself as a real Otaku. I do know a bunch of anime, but some of them I haven't seen.
Another reason is that I own no anime *cries*, including no anime movies. I want to badly get Spirited Away for I've heard it's a great movie. Also, not what you included, but I have no manga either. *cries again* I just watch TV.

I do know a little anime vocab, although not much.
I was pretty happy once I joined the OB because it was anime related and I watched anime and how learn about other animes myself. Since I joined here, I decided to watch .hack//sign more. And I did, and I am very glad. I go here for leisure time or if I'm bored.
So I don't consider myself as a real otaku, sadly. A new goal.[/size][/color]

The real "otakus" are usually the crazy insane cosplaying fans who buy more than just anime dvds. They buy anything anime, from anime cels to anime shirts, to anime eating utensils. Yep or something like that =P. I wouldn't really consider myself an anime otaku, i'd be a big anime fan but not one of these "otaku" that you speak of.

[COLOR=green][B]I really have no interest in anime of any kind.[/B]

Many of my friends like anime, and often discuss it in my presence. I could probably identify anime style drawings or anime paraphernalia, but own none of my own. Unless you count the Animatrix...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ReTarr [/i]
[B]So, what I'd like to know is do you consider yourself a real Otaku? [/B][/QUOTE] [COLOR=333333]Absolutely not.

*shrugs* I don't even watch anime. The exent of my knowledge comes from occasionally browsing threads here, and doing some mild research when I want to start drawing a new character.

In general, I like the art, and I'm a fan of Miyazaki stuff. That's about it. [/COLOR]

I used to like anime. Of course, it never compared to random people here. I know a decent amount about the larger films and have tried the (mostly awful) series people rave about on here.

Over time I just came to realize that most anime sucks... quite badly, at that. There's some large exceptions, which I give respect to since they deserve it. Overall, I just can't say I care anymore. I used to be heavy on manga too, but I've stopped paying attention to that in favor of Western comics. To me, there's just little comparison.

In either case, I was never an otaku. I never wanted to be one and I don't know why anyone else would be either. It's obsessive and weird... it's well beyond the simple hobyy and interest stage, at least based on how people currently use it. I think it's safe to say that most Japanese people would find so-called "otaku" pretty laughable.

[COLOR=darkred][QUOTE]What I mean by real Otaku is do you watch a lot of anime?[/QUOTE]
Yes.
i watch a lot. :3 i love anime.

[quote]Do you know some anime vocab?[/quote]
Yes.

[quote] Do you own lots of anime?[/quote]
Well i'd like to say No i dont. i am too cheap. i borrow from other otaku friends of mine. XD its easier if we all share.

i'd hafta consider myself a real otaku.. but.. i don't know i am always learning more and more. I enjoy a lot.. of anime.. drawing and everything ^^;
anyways yeah.. i guess

[/COLOR]

I'd assume it also consists of putting the letter s on words like anime and ninja for plurals, despite the fact that Japanese doesn't differentiate between the two. It's not ninjas, it's ninja. Just like it's not animes, it's anime.

I'd probably throw the people in there who type Japanese words with a US keyboard, thinking that typing "hello" in English means the same thing in Japanese. That makes sense.

Anyway, I shall remove myself from this thread heh.

[quote]Overall, I just can't say I care anymore. I used to be heavy on manga too, but I've stopped paying attention to that in favor of Western comics. To me, there's just little comparison.[/quote]

LOL it's completly the opposite for me there was a time a while back when I liked western styled comics and what not but when you compare them in terms of storyline and charater development for the most part they all pale in comparison to their japanese counter parts =\. There are very few exceptions but just all in all I prefer manga over western comics, it probably has something to do with the different drawing styles as well =O.

[quote]In either case, I was never an otaku. I never wanted to be one and I don't know why anyone else would be either. It's obsessive and weird... it's well beyond the simple hobyy and interest stage, at least based on how people currently use it. I think it's safe to say that most Japanese people would find so-called "otaku" pretty laughable.[/quote]

I'd have to agree with you in the last part that native Japanese people probably would laugh at these anime obssessed fans out there but then again what anime is to them and to people out of Japan are two different things =P. Anime is commonplace for them wherever you turn, it's probably more of a childrens thing over there than it is in the rest of the world. But I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with being an "otaku" if anime is something your passionate about than so be it. I do find it a little odd at times that people can be so absorbed into it but then I compare it to something like all those [i]crazy[/i] sports fans out there who go to all the home teams games and paint letters on their stomachs -_o'.

Short answer: no. Long answer: hell no.

I watch anime occasionally, but the anime I've seen is pretty much whatever Cartoon Network decides to show. I don't suscribe to the Anime Network, I don't buy much manga, I don't know that much generally about anime and often get confused when people decide to pull random facts out of their *** when talking about anime.

So, yeah, I enjoy watching some anime when it comes on every once in a while, but it's hardly my foremost area of enjoyment. I pretty much treat it like any other form of entertainment, heh.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hittokiri Zero [/i]
[B]LOL it's completly the opposite for me there was a time a while back when I liked western styled comics and what not but when you compare them in terms of storyline and charater development for the most part they all pale in comparison to their japanese counter parts =\. There are very few exceptions but just all in all I prefer manga over western comics, it probably has something to do with the different drawing styles as well =O.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think at one point I would have agreed with you... heh. There are still random manga I enjoy, but not all that many. Honestly, I find most manga rather shallow by comparison, but that's me. Obviously there are examples that don't fit that at all -- such as most of Shirow's work.

You just have to find comics that suit what you're looking for. Contrary to popular belief, they're not all about invulnerable superheroes with no human qualities.

I have no idea what "Otaku" means. Seriously, I don't, lol.

I am not a fan of any anime whatsoever, apart from this parody I saw recently...called Golden Boy, I think, and Powerpuff Girls, but I guess they're considered "Anime Lite."

Frankly, I really dislike anime. The writing from what I've seen is godawful, horribly overwritten and sounds totally...ridiculous. I mean, it's just so outrageously blah to the point that I can't stand it and avoid it wherever I can.

Dillon, Paul, and Jenn had to essentially strap me down so I wouldn't get up during Golden Boy.

And yes, I realize the irony of me being on OTAKUboards, lol. I signed up here to post about video games and movies, so I do not consider myself an anime fan in the least.

Haha, to illustrate, I was in the Anime Lounge once because I saw someone viewing a "Favorite Villain" thread in Who's Online. I clicked over and was in the Anime Lounge. I was ready to post my favorite villain as HAL-9000 (Yes, he [i]is[/i] the villain of 2001, acting in self-defense or not. He is potrayed as a totally creepy entity who kills the crew. Villain.).

Yippee! 401.

To a certain extent, I do call myself an anime otaku. I know the vocab, I've seen a wide variety of anime and fansubs that are not yet licensed in the US. I own several manga books and a few video tapes and DVDs. I have pokemon pencil tops, Gundam Wing models, posters covering my bedroom walls and drawings galore. My friends in real life who like anime, also call me an anime otaku. People often come to me for advice on what anime is best to see and what they should save there money on. Also, before my computer was reformatted last year, I had over 50 anime MP3's and 120 anime midi's. I had like almost all of the music from every Gundam series ever shown in the US. I also had some DBZ midis as well. I also know several anime vocab words. I use 'baka,' 'jaa ne,' 'sayonara,' and 'dame' practically everyday...Though I know those words and plently more because I am taking Japanese. lol I also own a few Yu-Gi-Oh cards as well. I guess that I can say that I am an anime otaku. heh

[color=#006699]No. I watch an anime here and there, but nothing insane. It's hard for me to find an anime I enjoy now. I can only say I even remotely like 4 or 5 series. Cowboy Bebop, Lain, Noir, and Evangelion are probably my main favorites. Most other anime is just stupid. When I look at something like Trigun or Fooly Cooly, I just can't understand why someone would even dream of liking that.

So other than the series' I mentioned and a few movies (Batlle Angel Alita, Ghost in the Shell, ect.). I really don't care much for anime.[/color]

Umm... Well I tried to be at one point! I tried to be an anime fan just because I saw a few cool things here and there. I actually stumbled across this site cus I thought it was some Gundam thing...heh...
Well, I'm not really an anime freak, just a "certain anime" freak (err...something). Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Gundam, DBZ, and a little Zoids are all I really know anything about (and even there, not much)!

Um...so basically, my answer's no.

[size=1][color=darkblue]Well, as far as I think, no. I don't consider myself a real Otaku. I am limited to only so much. Such as only seeing what I can on t.v. I never have any money to buy anything, so I don't have but maybe... four DVD's? Sure, I may have plenty of manga, but not as much as alot of people. I have in the range of about 25-30 manga book and that's why I am normally broke. I only have a few CD's and posters too. But the only reason I have some of those things is because I save for Anime Iowa. The most recent Anime Iowa, I had plenty of money to spend, so I got myself a good handful or more of nice anime/manga things. And yes... I do know some Japanese, but not enough to be in a real conversation. But it is interesting to listen to DVD's in Japanese.
I am not a total anime freak, I just really enjoy it. It's a nice hobby and interest for me. Sure as I grow older I will get more things, know more anime and manga... maybe one of those days I can be proud to acheive and say "I am an Otaku!" to the world! ^^ Just a dream....[/color][/size]

I love anime (that's why I first started coming here ^_~), but I wouldn't call myself an otaku. To me, the term implies that you don't have a life outside of Japanese pop culture. It also seems to indicate that you love everything which might fall under the category of "anime," regardless of its quality. Despite the fact that I [i]am[/i] a big fan, I'm fairly picky about what I watch, much less what I choose to spend good money on.

In Japan, isn't the word "otaku" sometimes used as derogratory slang for someone who stays in his or her house all day long either watching anime, playing video games, or surfing the net? I could be mistaken, but I think it's pretty ironic that non-Japanese anime fans declare themselves otaku without realizing that it isn't necessarily a positive label.

~Dagger~