OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

ThePikasElbow

[color=indigo]Nintendo slipping in a little easter egg, that's how. The story for the game itself says that Termina is an alternate world. This is a direct quote out of the Majora's Mask instruction booklet, at the start of the "Welcome to Termina" section: "This is a kind of parallel world that is similar to and yet different from the land of Hyrule, which was the setting for the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time." That right there tells us that Termina is [i]not[/i] Hyrule, and that it's an alternate world.[/color]

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Waves hands frantically at the people around here...*
HELL-OOOOO!!! Anybody awake? Good. All I have to say is this:
There was no Ganon! Y'know, the big evil pig dude? Whatever the rest of the game is like, this lets it down big time...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lance [/i]
[B]*Waves hands frantically at the people around here...*
HELL-OOOOO!!! Anybody awake? Good. All I have to say is this:
There was no Ganon! Y'know, the big evil pig dude? Whatever the rest of the game is like, this lets it down big time... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, you didn't get to fight Ganon in his pig form, but I didn't find it all that disappointing. I mean, we've already gotten to fight pig-Ganon in 3D in Ocarina of Time, but The Wind Waker is the first time we've gotten to [i]really[/i] fight Ganon in his human form. (I don't really count batting fireballs back and forth and then chopping him a few times, like you do in OOT, as really fighting him). I thought it was fun to actually be able to swordfight with Ganon in his human form.

I do wish they had made some changes to the Ganon fight in TWW, though. [spoiler]Specifically, I would've liked it if they did Zelda's part in the fight differently. That is, make it so you have to just fight him alone with the Master Sword for the first half of the fight. Then for the second half, make it so you have to land enough hits with the Master Sword to stun him, and [i]then[/i] have Zelda shoot him with a Light Arrow, which would actually hurt him. And then for the finishing blow, have Link do his little jump-and-stab-to-the-head move at the same time as Zelda hits him with a Light Arrow, heh.[/spoiler]

I think doing it that way would have been more fun, since it'd be more of a sword duel. And it'd also be closer to the Ganon fights in the earlier games, where the Master Sword just stuns him and Silver Arrows are what actually hurt him.[/color]

I didn't actually mean an exact copy of the fight in OOT; that would not have been original, and originality is something Nintendo have alwats tried to include when making Zelda games.

But I still think it would have been cool to have him as one of the boss incarnations, in all his cel-shaded glory. They could have change the way you have to beat him or soething like that...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lance [/i]
[B]I didn't actually mean an exact copy of the fight in OOT; that would not have been original, and originality is something Nintendo have alwats tried to include when making Zelda games.

But I still think it would have been cool to have him as one of the boss incarnations, in all his cel-shaded glory. They could have change the way you have to beat him or soething like that... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, I know you didn't mean an exact copy of the fight in OOT. And a fight with Ganon in pig form [i]would[/i] have been cool. I'm just saying that I think the fight with Ganon in human form was cool too.[/color]

How far I got in the game? o.O
Well, I'm looking for triforce pieces.
I can't even find the last one! ><
It says that it's in the...ghost ship? o.O
I kept searching for that ship but it never appears. -.-
I now have 13 hearts.
Finished Wind and Earth Temple and the tower of gods.
Gee, i really need help.
Would anyone tell me how to look for the ghost ship? o.O
(If it is okay to ask)

[color=indigo]Well, looking for the Ghost Ship without the right equipment is useless, since you can't get into it otherwise. Before you look for the Ghost Ship, you need to go to Diamond Steppe Island, which is one square northwest of Outset Island. Inside a cave on the island, you'll find the Ghost Ship Chart, which will both help you find the Ghost Ship and allow you to enter it. (Just sail into it when you see it).

Hope that helps. If you need more help, just ask. :)[/color]

• 1 month later...
[color=navy][i] I'm suprised at how few people got to over 999 hits with Orca. I didn't really find it all that hard, just time consuming. You get a measly 200 rupee's for landing 1000 hits, and he asks you [spoiler]if your left index finger is numb.[/spoiler] And when you realize the question, you notice that it is infact [spoiler]numb from holding the controller in the same position for so long.[/spoiler] I thought that was pretty cool.
To answer the question, i've beaten Gannondorf in WW, with a total of fourteen hearts. I haven't even started the figurine side quest. I really need to get playing it again for 100% completion. I got side tracked by Skies of Arcadia Legends a little while ago. Now with that beaten, I can get back to WW.
It just occured to me I havent touched my Gamecube in over a week..
~Matto[/color][/i]

• 4 weeks later...
O' The wondeful pain and joy that comes from trying to beat Orca. I've never felt so "in the zone" before. While I was fighting him, I felt nothing, it was just him and me duking it out to some techno music I put on. As soon as finished, I dropped the controller and it felt like every pain I had even felt shot straight to my fingers. It was weird, until that point I didn't feel any pain in my fingers. I had to lay down for a bit after that.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PhoenixFlame
in ocarina of time ive gotten everything(not counting the glitches) except all of the gold skulltullas ive healed all of the family except the big spider

in majoras mask ive gotten everything (not counting the glitches)
except two heart containers

[color=indigo]This thread was about how far you've gotten in The Wind Waker... And then it kind of strayed to the subject of fighting Orca... And I think it's basically run its course. I don't think there's really anything left to discuss, though, since most people have probably beaten TWW by now. And just posting up where you are currently is pretty pointless...

[img]http://www.angelfire.com/ex/desbreko/Lock.gif[/img] Thread Closed[/color]

• 2 months later...
I've heard that Zelda Windwaker is a really good game. But I just got a Gamecube for Christmas. I've played many Zelda games before but never owned it myself. My sister has played Windwaker before, but won't let me watch it. She says it will "spoil the surprise." So, I have a few questions:

1.Is Zelda Windwaker really that good?
2.On the disc that came with the Gamecube, is there only a demo of Windwaker?

Thanx!

[color=indigo]Yes, I'd say The Wind Waker is an extremely good game, and I'm sure many others here would agree with me. I don't think you'll find a better action/adventure game on the GCN, and I think it even beats out Ocarina of Time on the N64. If you liked other Zelda games, you'll almost definitely like The Wind Waker.

If you're talking about the Zelda: Collector's Edition disc, yes, it has a demo of The Wind Waker on it, so you could try it out on that to see if you like it. It's a pretty short demo, though, so there's actually a whole lot more to the game than the few little bits you see in it.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kenshinsbabe [/i]
[B]
1.Is Zelda Windwaker really that good?
[/B][/QUOTE]

No...

...That is, unless you like watching you own crap float around in a toilet. If that's the case, then you'll love it. I mean sure, TWW is fun to play for the first, lets say five minutes, but I don't think I'm the only one that takes a look at my crap right after I unload. Simply put, yes it's fun to see how long it is, or in TWW's case, it's fun to see how it's going to be, but in the end, crap is crap.

Note: No, I really don't think it's that bad, but I didn't particularly enjoy it either. You really have to play it for yourself.

*glares daggers :flaming:* That is your opinion, Olga. *walks away before she strangles people and comes back nice and calm* :angel:
Anyway, if you liked the other Zelda games, you'll love The Wind Waker. It really works with the OoT story line and, although at first the graphics are a little strange, it's a great game anyway. On one website I went to not that long ago, they named The Wind Waker the Game of the Year, and I totally agree with that.

it's har to play if you can't use you left (my good or rather old good hand) to play. (i found out the other day a bone dissolved there. the docters have no clue how.)

1. be sure to write EVERY thing you learn, most importantly the wind requirim (sp?) with out it you'll have so much trouble with the game.
2. check it agian, look at it a differnt way.
3. USE THE POTS! those little pots that glow in dungeons really help. trust me. i would have never betten a certin boss with out being able to use it to warp.

back to the point. yes the graphics have some errors as all 3d games do. yet it is intriging and makes you wonder. "how the hell am i going to beat this boss?" they are hard to beat, use all your items. look around in 1st person veiw if you don't know what to do next. if you arn't sure whethor or not to jump in. have your self (or a pig) push you in! (no idea where that came from. i am crazy...)

On the included disc, it's only a demo. It lasts for 20 minutes though (it has a timer), so you should get a good idea of what the game is like.

Wind Waker is a really beautiful game, I think. Some people don't like the style, but I think it was pulled off very well. Some of the scenes in the game are simply amazing. Animation is spectacular.

It does have its issues. The main being that it really isn't much of an evolution past Ocarina of Time. Love it or hate it, Majora's Mask introduced about 10 times as much new gameplay material to the series and was on the same platform (N64). I was expecting a bit more of a gameplay difference between this and those games thanks to the years and platform/generation difference, but it's not there. What is there, however, is solid and is quite refined over the other games. I'm just saying I wish there was more of it.

The first few dungeons are awesome and really left me hopeful for the future. However, I did not like the last set of dungeons very much, as they introduced this ICO style of gameplay where you had to bring another character around with you. One is plenty, I don't need two.

Which really gets into the next problem -- there aren't very many dungeons. What's there is good overall, but it just isn't enough. I'm assuming this is mostly because of time constraints because Nintendo has mentioned they had more dungeons they just couldn't fit in. However, when you're at a point where there's a very important item you get by simply going into a one room cave, that's a big problem, in my eyes.

That isn't to say the dungeons are bad. Even the ones I wasn't too fond of were well laid out and had some decent puzzles. The ones I liked were excellent and a lot of fun to go through. They're all a decent size.

The personality shown in OoT is furthered in this game (although I don't think as much as in Majora). The story is one of the more fleshed out ones and slightly deeper than in the past, in some instances. The humanizing of [spoiler]Ganon[/spoiler] in particular was incredibly well done.

Music is good. It sounds nice overall. I was slightly bothered by the fact that some music is reused from OoT. One song in particular, as it was used for a rather important town in the game. Sound otherwise is nice.

The problems with the boat are often exaggerated. I'm not sure if you know, but in this game most of the land is submerged. You'll be sailing around a lot. Early in the game, this can be a real chore. It takes well over 10 minutes to sail from one end of the map to the other and most of the islands on the way are very small. Eventually you get a means of jumping around the map quickly, thankfully.

Lastly, I should add that this game is just too easy. I didn't die once. In fact, I didn't even come close to dying... and I in no way had anywhere close to the full amount of hearts. It's rather weird that a pig attacking you in the village (if you abuse it first lol) is stronger than any boss in the game.

Anyway, despite all that... it was still a very enjoyable game. I had no problem playing it from beginning to end. There's some very memorable scenes, a few great dungeons, great characters (existing ones getting further development), fun boss battles and so forth. The final battle is one of the best in the series, I'd say.

It's worth getting. It's by no means bad, but it's definitely not my favorite in the series. The Oracle games and Majora walk all over this one, in my opinion.

Come to think of it, you can play all three of those games on the GCN now too heh. With the Game Boy Player and the Collector's Disc anyway.

I have also been wondering about the game..... If they made Link look like he did in the N64 Games then Id be happier.. But he looks like a freek lol.

Before Wind Waker came out, I saw an E3 Video of a Zelda game coming out for Gamecube. It had AMAZING graphics! Link looked soo amazing and the fighting looked good! but then they bring out Wind Waker and it just confused me....

I might buy the game... I just wish they made the graphics better and less Cell shading

[color=indigo]Ugh, not this again... I was [i]so[/i] hoping this subject had died by now. You have no idea how many times I've had to explain this:

That short little video clip shown at E3 all those years ago wasn't from an actual game. It was a tech demo made just to show off the GameCube's graphical capabilities. It was a CG movie, nothing more, meaning it really can't be accurately compared to The Wind Waker's graphics.

So yeah, it's not like Nintendo was in the middle of making a realistic looking game and then just suddenly decided to switch to the cel shading. They were working on the next Zelda game at that time, sure, but I doubt they had done all that much with the graphics yet. They sure wouldn't have been far along enough for that movie to be actual in-game graphics, at least.

Really though, the gameplay in TWW follows the same formula as OOT, so if you liked OOT you'll most likely enjoy TWW. The different graphical style doesn't really change the gameplay all that much. If someone's only reason for not playing TWW is the cel shading I'd say they're really closeminded.

So ends Desbreko's 1,473rd rant about TWW's cel shading. :toothy:[/color]