OtakuBoards

So your house burnt down...

Guest cloricus

Guest cloricus
It's odd how I always saw this sort of thing on the news and think how much it must suck to be one of the families that lived in the house with all their possessions gone and people around you saying "at least no one was hurt" which of course is true but possessions mean a lot to people as well and all the memories attached to a place. And random bits like that.

So the other day much to my surprised I got a phone call saying that our house had burnt down and that my mother had just returned from the hospital (she was court near an explosion and shock from it) and that the house, by this time, was completely gone. (Nearest house fire brigade is 30 mins away.) Now this sucked for several reasons, the house after four years of endless work of rebuilding/cleaning/fixing only had about a week until it was completely finished, it was a queenslander and over 103 years old, insurance might not cover it and the stuff we owned in it was gone plus I was seven hours away from my mother who was blatantly in shock and very depressed.

I'm just wondering if others have been in this situation since I'm kind of still depressed over it for a lot of reasons like uncertainty over what will happen now and that it means that my mother will probably move down here if she can and since a lot of my friends live up there I wont see them again. So yeah I'm sure everything will be fine but atm it doesn't feel like it...

[color=hotpink][size=1]That sucks amazingly for you. I really do feel bad for you. Houses burning down is something I always had awful nightmares about, especially since I've grown up living in a trailor, which can burn down in ten minutes. In my dreams I would always throw all of my stuff out the window before saving myself. And I would always be so paranoid that my animals would still be in the house (yes, we have alot of pets...) I am sorry that you lost everything, but to be the optimist and to repeat what you've already said, at least you are alive. [/color][/size]

If it helps, you still have your mother.

I lost both of my parents in a car-crash when I was 5. I still have the scars from where the seatbelt cut into my shoulder and from where we overturned and the roof came down on my head; even though it was thirteen years ago.

But life goes on, I grew up with my grandparents, collected a large group of friends and got us all a job in a local hotel when we were fifteen. Then, using the money from that job, we converted my grandparent's barn into an apartment for the twelve of us to hang out in. After that we all took up martial arts and today between us, we an average of black belt third dan in five different style and the weapons disciplines for those styles.

Put it this way, my boasting aside, there's are times in every person's life when they think they've hit bottom. It happens to everyone, at different times and in different ways, but it happens. Now these times are used, mentally, as the times between flights, between the times when your life is comparitively so good that you're flying. And those times of rest are just there for a reason to get yourself back in the air.

Do you see what I mean? It sounds corny, but I've had a lot of times in the past when I've felt like just shutting down, and because I've gotten to the point where I can generalise, it just means that I got past them.

And, at the risk of sounding even more corny, you'll get past this too.

Guest cloricus
[quote name='Thaylien']There's are times in every person's life when they think they've hit bottom. It happens to everyone, at different times and in different ways, but it happens.[/quote]Seems to happen far to frequently for my liking. I guess it kind of ends a long and bad chapter in my mothers life and mine if it every thing works out, strange that it happened on Friday the 13th. (Not that I'm superstitious.)

[size=2][color=slategray]I agree with Boba, I hope that you and your family are able to recover from this tragedy.[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=slategray]At one point in time, I had a small housefire in my kitchen and I was terrified. Luckily, my father was able to put it out before anything serious happened. He did, however, receive several burns and scars from the fire. Most are not apparent now, only the car crash scars (go him lol). [/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#708090]Anyhow, I would be utterly shocked if this happened to me and I would not know how to handle it. I honestly wish you the best of luck.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Indigo]Hey man, my sympathies go out towards you and your family.

I had a similar incident happen four years ago in our old house. We had just moved to the city we live in now, I think it was a total of a month that we had been there, when a neighbor had a party and they shot off firecrackers, one of the fire crackers got next to the house and when it exploded, it just lit the house on fire. Luckily everyone was gone from our house, I was the first one to arrive home, and it was...quite eerie to see your home burning down before your eyes

It really does suck, I'm sorry that it happened to ya. Best wishes for you and your mom, and good luck :)[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=red] When I was younger, and still lived in Taylorsville, Utah, my brother caught our kitchen on fire. I remember being in school and being called to the office, being whisked away and finding my brother and mother at the hospital and doing fine.

My brother loved riding the ambulance, and because of his play with fire we moved out of our house for a few months. We had to live at first in a hotel, then a condo, and then finally back in our house.

Many of my things were lost from smoke. The smoke seeped into many electronics and ruined them, including numerous videos (I lost some of my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles movies!) and our TV as well. Also, as you imagine, my clothes smelled sharply of smoke, and ash. I had to wear these smoke-smelled clothes for a while as well.

Out of the deal we got a big screen TV for cheap, from insurance or whatnot.

I guess it was worth it in the end.

Oh yeah.[/size][/color]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]That really sucks to have your house burnt down, and I feel sorry for you. Best luck...

I have had this kind of situation before, but it wasn't as horrible.

I was at my usual summer vacations with my grandparents in Mississippi, and one day on my vacation, a telephone call from my mom came. She had said the house had caught on fire, and it wasn't all very damaged, but there was still some damage to my house. She said she didn't know how it had started, but she said it might have been cigarettes.

To tell you the truth, when I had heard my house might have had caught on fire by cigarettes, I wasn't sad at all. I was actually glad. My mom, as the smoking addict like many others, could have caused this by her usual smoking, and I've always had hated cigarettes...their smell...everything. Well that's my reason why I was pretty glad that my house caught on fire, minus the part if they hadn't realized it, my house and everything would have been burned down. There a plus and a minus for my house burning down. [/COLOR]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=black]We've never had a house fire like that happen to us here, but about a week before the renovations of our current house which had belonged to my grandfather the house door was kicked in and the house was burgled. From my knowledge of the event I don't think they actually got anything since we hadn't moved our stuff in.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]My grandmother's house has been burgled a couple of times since she lives with us and she's lost a lot of possessions that belonged to her family and many of her now deceased friends so I agree with Cloricus when he says that possessions do mean stuff to people.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]I hope your mother will be OK and I hope that you family will be able to move on after this accident. Good luck and God Bless.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#ff0000][color=black][QUOTE][/color][size=2][color=black]Originally Posted by Mitch[/color][/size][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#ff0000]Out of the deal we got a big screen TV for cheap, from insurance or whatnot.

I guess it was worth it in the end[/color][color=black][/QUOTE][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=black]I guess that's one way of looking at it...[/color][/size][/font]

Guest cloricus
Thanks guys. :)

I found out today that insurance is working on it and it looks like they might have it all settled shortly plus a few "extra" bits in mums policy that are making it speed up that she didn't know about plus it might cover slightly more than what she thought so as long as they don't try and get out of it (which I've been told they often do) she should at least get enough to work on getting another house. So she is a lot happier to know that as at the moment she's staying at her next door neighbours. Looks like things might be looking up on that angle, now to tell my friends that there is probably a high chance that I wont see them again. ($120 return trip. :()

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]I've read many heart-warming stories about houses burning down. I'm so sorry it happened to you. And, since I'm an extremely optomistic person, I'll give you a few upsides.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]1) Look at it as an opportunity for a new space, maybe a new school and new friends (if you're moving out of your district).[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]2) The casual, yet oh-so-cliched: "At least nobody died."[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]3) It could have happened at a worse time, like Christmas.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]4) Ok, that's all I can think of... generally stuff like that really sucks.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]And maybe, if someone in your family didn't like one of the remodelings, you could take that as a "Oh-let's-remember-that-next-time-we-pick-black-and-white-polka-dotted-wallpaper, eh?"[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]Although, I have to argue. Black and white polka dotted wallpaper would be pretty cool.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]Uh... *looks around nervously*[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]Ok, I hope we all made things better and I hope your new home brings you happiness.[/size][/font]

[SIZE=1][B]I would hate my house being burnt down... for me, somethings could never be replaced. But I do hope everything will be okay for you.

As for me, my half brother, Mark was killed because some stupid kids threw a snowball at another car and crashed into his. I've got 1 full brother, and 3 half brothers, 2 of them on my dad's side and Mark on my mothers, I never talk about him much... I hardly ever mention him, and even my best friends don't know he exsisted. It was sad though because it was my birthday.[/SIZE][/B]