SasukeUchiha

Which ones cooler  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones cooler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Bittorrent, I just watched the first episode of Naruto (although I already knew the basics of its characters and plot). I was slightly underwhelmed, especially considering all the wonderful things I've heard about this show; OB is chock-full of Naruto fans.

I can already draw comparisons between Naruto and Inuyasha. In my opinion, Naruto outclasses Inuyasha in certain aspects (particularly animation), but for the most part, they're on approximately the same level.

Three main factors detracted from my enjoyment of the first episode:

1. Music. Naruto's opening and ending songs could at best be described as mediocre. The battle theme, which has a nice, strong beat, works fairly well, but most of the other background music just flops--especially the stuff they play during dramatic scenes. It stands out too much and does nothing to enhance the overall atmosphere.

2. Visual effects. Some of these were innovative and worked well (for example, the use of manga-style drawings and screentone during flashbacks); others (like laying a character's partially transparent face over a different scene) are overdone and somewhat cliched.

3. Melodrama. About half of the first episode consists mainly of over-the-top humour, including nosebleeds and super-deformation. Then it switches straight to a textbook tale of childhood angst and suffering. After all the slapstick, this isn't nearly as effective or touching as it could have been. And several characters end up dissolving in tears--since I wasn't given a chance to grow attached to any of them, I actually found it mildly amusing.

But don't get me wrong. I've only watched the first episode, and Naruto definitely does show some promise. I really did like the episode's ending, when Naruto used his new skill to terrorize the bad guy.

So I suppose I'll try to continue following this show, although it's not something that I'd spend money on if it were released in North America.

~Dagger~

You really have to watch the first couple of episodes before you realize that you absolutely love this anime. I bought the first 50 episodes off of eBay and will never regret it. Naruto is the freshest anime out right now. All the characters are like-able, even the bad guys.

The first episode truly does not represent the show as a whole. I highly recommend watching up to at least episode 8 before you make any judgements.

Yeah I am at episode 37 right now. And the music does change in the second season. I love the second opening so much. And there is defeitly drama lol, but I agree with you, the first episode is more about being funny than anything else. I was just wondering what some ppl thought, because noone i know likes Naruto. ::smacks them::

I'm a huge Naruto fan, and although I haven't read all of the manga, I have watched all 62 episodes (as of this writing, only 62 episodes have been made, I should say). Heh, I think 62 is the episode everyone waits for in the back of their minds. ;) Hope that's incentive enough for all of you who just started or are still dilly-dallying to rush and catch up to the anime series (yeah, I mean you, OtakuSennen). :p

Of my 50 episodes, I have watched 34. That is the up to the end of the first disc in the second box set. I love the characters plus new ones keep appearing. My favorites so far are Zabuza, Haku, Gaara, Orochimaru, and since all of those were bad guys... Shikamaru is cool too. :)

I'm sure I'll buy the next box set from AV as soon as it comes out. Too bad I have to wait until they are at least at episode 80 until the 51-75 box will be out.

Hey, has anyone seen the Naruto special about the 4-leaf clover? I'm curious to see it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dan Rugh [/i]
Hey, has anyone seen the Naruto special about the 4-leaf clover? I'm curious to see it. [/B][/QUOTE] You aren't missing much. You should watch it after the Mist Saga (first 20 episodes), because that's where it fits in the best. However, it's not all that special anyway: just a side story about Konohamaru trying to get a four-leaf clover for a girl who's leaving the village.

There's no themes, no interesting character development, no nothing. It's not right-out bad, but this stuff isn't on par with the rest of Naruto. [quote]Wow your at 62 ^^ Stupid 56k modem ^^[/quote] Eh, I started watching Naruto over the summer (I think they were up to episode 40 or something). Haha, I still remember that annoying hiatus they took around July 4th (or were they coming back on July 4th?): they did it at such a cliffhanger.

So, it's not really a connection issue, I just started earlier than you. Also, I think it was more enjoyable to watch Naruto in bulks, rather than 20-minute weekly airings. So, the later you start, the better it is, IMO. :)

Lol, I completely agree. I actually own the "first Season" of Naruto on Dvd. But I stopped buying them after I realized they are all bootlegs. So I am definitly falling behind. I also have to go out and buy that second manga ^^. I read a little bit of Shonen Jump, which is how i found out about Naruto, but I stopped after I heard the Manga was being released. I like owning the manga so I can always have it to read.

Naruto, the one manga that artistically outclassed its anime.

I don't know; I love the behind-the-ninja-scenes approach to the series, but it's becoming a very mundane sort of plotline, at least in the 35 or so chapters I've read. (Of course, I was reading solely for Haku and Zabuza for quite a while there, so that may be my problem. *sweatdrop*) My crazed friends tell me that the series becomes considerably more interesting with the inclusion of a YYH-esque Tournament Exam, or something to that effect.
Yes, no, perhaps?
In any case, do tell me- Am I missing out if I decide to bypass the anime? Or is it a series I should watch _and_ read to get the full effect?

*to Cahoots34: O_o

I personally prefer the anime, since it's everything the manga is, but with color, motion, and sound. Sure, some episodes are poorly drawn, but that's because so many different companies are animating it. [quote]In any case, do tell me- Am I missing out if I decide to bypass the anime? Or is it a series I should watch _and_ read to get the full effect?[/quote] You should watch and read the Naruto series to get the full effect because there are details in the manga that aren't in the anime. Conversely, the presentation of Naruto is tenfold better in the anime than in the manga. So, yeah, you should both read the manga and watch the anime (even better would be to follow the manga with the anime, so you are in the same spot in both versions).

Yes, things get very interesting during the Chuunin exam. You could say that the entire Mist saga was just an introduction to Naruto's unique world.

I actually enjoyed the Mist-Saga. It really opened up the characters for me, which got me involved in these later episodes that I am watching. I actually think it was a good technique to hook people to the anime.

I just watch the episodes I own for the 5th time today. I am up 2 episode 43. I am still buying the DVD's, my obcession outweighs my disdain for BL DVD's.

Ooo and sine I am caught up a little more, I like Sakura ALOT more than I used to. I really didnt like her before, but now I think I like her as much as Sasuke ^^ Naruto still gets on my nerves a lil' bit, but im sure as I go on watching it that opinion will probably change 2.
:sigh: will my obcession ever end.

Ok, I am really getting annoyed with the show. I just watched up 2 episode 50 and I am not saying what happened, but I am not in the least happy, and yet my obcession is still at full strength. Neway, I was wondering does anyone know if the anime runs year round in Japan or how that goes. I think I may die if I run out of my Naruto. Neone know how that show is running?

Anime runs weekly starting at 7:25 pm on Tuesdays. Their last hiatus (giving them time to make more episodes) was somewhere around July 4th, so I have no clue when (or if) they'll have another one.

The RAWs are released almost immediately after Naruto's airing in Japan, and fansubbers do their best to compromise time and quality (with the exception of Toriyama's World).

How could you be getting annoyed with Naruto at that point? Episode 48 was easily one of my favorites. The whole [spoiler]genius vs hardworking[/spoiler] is an interesting premise. Besides, how could you not be interested in [spoiler]Naruto's training for the last half of the Chuunin Exam[/spoiler]? Some unexpected old characters return, and surprising new characters emerge. You can't miss this, haha.

My only recommendation at this point is to get some episodes in bulks, because, as you know, Naruto is very gifted with dragging things out. Episodes 60-62, you'll want to get and watch all at once, and some others too.

Well, I was not annoyed at the anime, I was annoyed at what transpired. And since I have no idea how to do that cool black filled in text I can not say what exactly annoyed me. Tell me how to do that And I shall post exactly what it was. And since I am on 56k :( I do not download em, I am buying the boots as they are released, so as of right now I am at episode 50, and I have up to 58 being shipped to me an 2 weeks. So its all good.

I have a question for you ^^ Who is your favorite characters right now and who do you despise!

Since I am only up to 50 and have not seen the character development as far as you I would have to say my Favorite Characters are Hinata, Sasuke, (recently liking) Naruto, and That Sand Girl with the fan (I have no idea what her name is) And I hate Neiji and that Dog Guy (again can not remember his name).

[COLOR=coral]The story gets better as it goes on.[spoiler]Pai dies...a touching moment there.. They'll co-operate with each other and care for each other. There's one part where they got seperated. Saju just wanted to surrender the Earth Script to the rival but was reminded by Naruto[/spoiler], how sweet. It's not only a story about action-pack but also about friendship.

*p/s: Naruto looks so cruel when fighting in his "Nine Tail Fox" (the name is somehow translated very near to the original, but still not quite that sure)[/COLOR]

You want to know how to do that black thing, huh? [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23594]Here you go[/url]. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SasukeUchiha [/i]
[B]I have a question for you ^^ Who is your favorite characters right now and who do you despise![/B][/QUOTE] This may sound strange to hear from a 19 year old talking about a 12/13 year old, but I really look up to Naruto. He's everything I wanted to be when I was younger (except for that whole demon and town-hating-you fiasco). Haha, I used to tell people that I wanted to be a legend. I mean, that's still my dream, but I don't phrase it like that anymore. :o

So yeah, while I truly admire Naruto, Cool Kakashi is easily my favorite character in Naruto. Something about his laid-back personality just shows that he's got some awesome sense of completion, and he doesn't suffer from vanity or arrogance. I mean, his "literature" is questionable, but that just adds to his comical nature.

Who I despise? Well, I absolutely abhor Neji, especially after we see him fight for the first time - that jerk. I don't like Sasuke all that much, but I wouldn't say I [I]hate[/I] him. Everyone else in Naruto is amiable in their own, unique way.

I would have to say, though, Hinata's one of the cooler people in that list of "hard to hate" Naruto characters.

Yeah, I can see why he could be looked up 2. He trys really hard and never gives up. I kind of have that feeling about it also. And I do not think its wierd for you to think that I think the writers want that from all people ^^

And I had no problem with Neji until [spoiler]He tried to kill Hinata during the second exam, then talked all kinds of garbage about her[/spoiler] and I think it is sooo hard to dislike Hinata because [spoiler] that whole fight with Neji. That is when my opinion of her really began to change, I started rooting for her to win, and when she lost she became unhateable.[/spoiler]

And why dont you like Sasuke?
And who was that lil kid...I think his name was Inari. He drove me NUTS. That whole group of episodes just made me dislike him more and more. Lol, its pretty sad I can dislike a 6 year old, but that lil guy managed to make me mad.

And if anyone can answer, How old are Gaara, Sasuke, and Kakashi supposed to be?

[quote]And why dont you like Sasuke?[/quote] Well, I might have to rescind my statement about Sasuke soon, but I didn't like him initially because he was so conceited. Also, his actions and intentions make you wonder why he's considered "a genius."

As for Neji, I hate him for the same reason you do. You just don't do that to innocence: that's the epitome of wrong.

And yes, Hinata's awesome because of the reason you mentioned. [quote] How old are Gaara, Sasuke, and Kakashi supposed to be?[/quote] Kakashi's an enigma, as far as I know. I guess his age is yet another mystery. The most we know about him is that any girl will instantly fall in love with him if she saw his face. :)

Gaara and Sasuke are 12/13 (they become thirteen at one point in the Chuunin exam). We know Sasuke's age because he's as old as Naruto, and [I]"12 years ago, the navel of a [B]newborn[/B] baby was used to seal the nine-tails demon."[/I] We know Gaara's age because of a similar story-telling (I don't think you are up to that part, though).

What episode are u currently on?

And just something else that I am asking...Does anyone know of any sites, or does anyone know if the Naruto games for PS2/Gamecube are coming to the US? ( I am not sure this is the right forum, but i figured since its Naruto here, ill just post it here)

Hey! I love Naruto too! I only read the manga though... The weekly shonen jump one. The manga is soo much better than the anime I think. Reason being is that the manga is from the true intentions of what Masashi Kishimoto wanted, not what tv tokyo wanted.

Azure, I think I would answer your question by saying that I think they call him a genius at fighting. Not outside fighting in anyway.

NARUTOFAN.COM IS A VERY VERY GOOD SITE!!! i like it. You can download the weekly shonen jump manga every friday and every weekly episode. It is also a good place for naruto information.

To find out Kakashi's age, I found this really great Kakashi site that has almost EVERYTHING on him.
[url]http://orangeday.net/kakashi[/url]
It says there that he's 26, but I have no clue how they got that information >.< Maybe they have the fanbook or something, haha.

What is everyone's favorite episode so far? or favorite chapter in the manga for that matter? I think my favorite episode would have to be 62 because [spoiler]watching Naruto kick Neji's *** was the best thing ever to happen[/spoiler]. As for favorite manga chapters, I would have to say I absolutely love [spoiler] Volume 21 Chapter 181. When Sasuke leaves Sakura at night to join the Sound Ninja and Orochimaru, my heart just broke! But, you can actually see that he cares about her in this particular chapter. AHHHHH [/spoiler].

And I don't hate Neji as much as some of you. He redeems himself a bit in the latest manga chapters.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SasukeUchiha [/i]
[B]
Since I am only up to 50 and have not seen the character development as far as you I would have to say my Favorite Characters are Hinata, Sasuke, (recently liking) Naruto, and That Sand Girl with the fan (I have no idea what her name is) And I hate Neiji and that Dog Guy (again can not remember his name). [/B][/QUOTE]

The Sand Girl is named Temari, and the Dog Guy is Kiba.

~Haruno Sakura

[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=darkblue] I've seen the first few episodes of Naruto. I think that it is an awesome show. Out of the anime, I the aspects I like are the music, characterization, storyline, and the original voice actors. I pretty much enjoy it all. I also follow along in the Shonen Jump magazine once a month as well.

The music has sort of a tribe feel to it. I especially like the beginning and ending theme songs. Mostly the ending theme song because I love it so much. The tribe like sound effects and music was odd at first, but that's what makes Naruto, Naruto.

The characterization is very well done and funny. How they interact, the crushes, and their likes and dislikes are really fun to see. Naruto has to be my favorite character, and Kakashi my second favorite.

The storyline is also very interesting. To make an anime great is mostly it's storyline. I enjoy the whole ninja idea a lot. I also like how Naruto acts the way he does. [spoiler]All of his jokes, pranks, and what not.[/spoiler] heh

The other thing that makes the anime so great is the original Japanese voices for the characters in the story. Naruto's and Kakashi's are especially cool. The only problem though, is Sakura's voice. Her voice is very annoying.

Over all, this is an excellent anime and manga. I enjoy it very much. It is very funny indeed. I found myself laughing on countless occasions. heh... I also got to play a couple parts in my friend's dubbing of the show. She plays the voice of Naruto. I got to play a couple girls in the first episode. It was fun. If you do not know where to get Naruto episodes, feel free to PM me. I'll tell you where to go. Naruto is just plain awesome![/FONT][/COLOR]