OtakuBoards

The Cell Phone Revolution in Japan

Syk3

Guest lavalamp
[QUOTE=MarkM]Lava Lamp, your post count dosn't matter to anybody. You were breaking the rules and it is Drix's job to say that to you.

G3 phones are getting to become very popular in the united states as of now. I only know of a few people that use 'Pay as you go' provided by T-Mobile and AT&T (correct me if im wrong).

-Mark[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I brought up my post count because his immediate assumption was that the information I supplied was inaccurate. I felt he immediately took information from source A over source B just because of source A's longstanding membership. Stop sticking your nose into something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, especially when you're not even sticking it in the right spot.

And I don't feel I was breaking the rules. If I was breaking the rules by saying people who idolize entire countries were pathetic then I can't point out a million other crossed boundaries all over this board that haven't been pointed out.

kthxbye

By the way, who is "Lava Lamp"? Sorry, but I don't recall capitalizing anything in my name. Moo.

[quote name='wrist cutter']From what I hear, they're quite handy for taking quick up-skirt shots.[/quote]

hahahaha. ROFTL!

Acually I think i've used my camera about 3 times in the two mounths i've had the phone. It isn't all that special.

lava lamp (is that spelling good for you?) your last post was complete spam, which is against the rules. It is un-needed, who cares if it has been done countless other times. I'f I were you i'd pay a little stop to the 'rules' page and catch up on some much needed reading.
-Mark

also if you have a problem with me, then PM me rather than spam to try to get your point across. Thanks ^^;

[QUOTE=lava lamp]Edited.

I'm afraid being a moderator and holding a position where you have to be unbiased I expected you not to judge me on something so shallow. I was not intending on flaming anyone, hence the fact I used the general term. I also went the distance of noting that maladjusted's post was evidence that they belonged in such a group, and not that they as a person were such. Whatever, though.

[/QUOTE]
[color=#707875]Well, aside from the whole Japan versus South Korea debate (which became pretty silly on both sides), Drix isn't judging you by any shallow standard. He's simply asking you to supply evidence to support your figures/comments. That's all.

And that's not really too much to ask, especially if we're trying to get down to the nitty gritty facts about cell phone useage in both countries. I think it's fine to debate such a point, but let's approach that debate in a mature way.[/color]

Guest lavalamp
How is he not when he never asked for evidence/sources on maladjusted's point? This makes no sense to me. When he starts reprimanding maladjusted as well as me for throwing out "random" information I won't complain.

maladjusted:

- "Most everything that's 'cool' about the new hype for cell phones developed in, guess where? Korea. You name it: Downloading Mp3s, watching live television, navigating systems, immense internet access [which practically leads to everything else], it has all been created by Korean cell phone industries or made a whole lot better by them. [Boo-yah.]"

- "the revenue from mobile-phone music downloads [Koreans call download songs for 20 cents to a dollar] in 2003 was $333 million, can you imagine 2004? It surpassed all CDs and tapes tales in Korea."

Where was his comment regarding the sources for maladjusted's statements? Yes, maladjusted pasted a nice little paragraph from Newsweek, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the two comments I presented.

While maladjusted never gets a mention [obviously because they're not new and likely have some sort of friendly relationship with the moderator] I get called out for making comments in a fashion identical to maladjusted [which happens to be making statements without providing links to the sources the information came from]. How is this not clearly an act of discrimination in regards to the time I've been here or my post count? Yes, they could have reason to doubt what I said due to previous posts but where have I supplied inaccurate information? Why was I corrected on grounds of giving out "random" numbers while nearly everyone in this thread of guilty of the same "crime"?

I don't care how trivial it may be. Ban me for saying something. It's just completely stupid that what I say is immediately wrong because I'm not in some childish inner circle of this cocky and egocentric community. Seeing how what he asked was unfair is far from rocket science.

And MarkM, thanks for playing moderator v1.2 but before you tell another member to read the rules perhaps you should stop being a hypocrite and do so yourself. I care this much about what you think: .

I'm pretty lazy, but here is the article which compares both industries. If you'd like me to provide links for the other comments I made I'd be more than happy to.

[url]http://www.asahi.com/english/business/TKY200312020133.html[/url]

It's a year old, but even if there were a change it wouldn't be a dramatic one with South Korea and Japan's current economic situations.

5% = 1/20

By the way, if you think I should approach the "debate" in a mature manner, James, perhaps you should address the problem of the "debate" being COMPLETELY immature to begin with. The person even admitted to keeping up a "South Korea is better than Japan strife". What. The. Hell. That wasn't even what this topic was about to begin with. It was about cell phones in Japan, not South Korea's "dominance" in the cell phone oval in general. But of course, I'm the bad guy for arguing with it. Go me.

lava lamp,

How unfortunate to see another member descend into the abyss of his own pride...

This is the rule you were missing, kiddo:

-"· Verbal Abuse: Verbal abuse includes swearing and/or any inappropriate language directed toward either a member or a staff member. Any form of threat, insult or inappropriate behavior towards a member or staff member is viewed very seriously by OtakuBoards.com"

Every post I see in the lounge is subjected to my judgment as a moderator of this forum. I saw your posts as unnecessarily debasing towards members like Maladjusted. As for his siting newsweek... well that's perfectly fine. You seem to be incapable of recognizing the difference between an interpretation of a media article and sentences like "The South Korean music industry is only 1/20th of the Japanese music industry. " are the same. Your opinion would not be contested if you hadn't descended into name calling. This is why I called your error, lamp?

Anyway, lamp, I understand that you obviously put plenty of personal bearing on this issue considering the amount of flaming that has going on. Not only that, you judge my moderation on false pretenses and unsubstantiated assumptions. You cannot recognize the fact that I wasn?t displaying favoritism, merely using your post as an example to illustrate where the thread should avoid heading, your attitude caused you to misinterpret my post. Because of the possible amount of damage to this thread constitution I must make another administrative duty:

[b]lava lamp, do not post on this thread again.[/b] I'm trying to be as nice as I can about this, and your actions have justified this decision. Next time you have a problem with the way I moderate, talk to James or talk to Me (if you are gutsy enough ;) ) I feel this thread has had far too much positive input, despite your previous posts, to merit a closing.

Mark M, I appreciate the backup, but I would've found this sooner or later.

To the rest, please continue posting

[color=firebrick]

I apologize for bringing up the whole thing, it actually really didn't have anything to do with the article in the first place. It started out silly, I guess.

If G3 cell phones are so popular [which I know they are], I'm subjected to believe that the technology and little add-ons will stay the way they are for a while. I mean, taking pictures to tracking locations, what else can possibly cram into a tiny cell phone? At the moment, I can't think of anything else to add onto cell phones. ...Unless it's supposed to give people a live hologram of the person they're talking to in the future or something. O_o. [actually, I'd buy that if it were available.]

P.S. *coughs* I'm not a guy...:( And unfortunately, I'm not good friends with any of the mods here.[/color]

Hmm... I think it'd be fun to have all that on a cell phone, but typing anything would kill me. 3 japanese alphabets......10 keys?

And reading a book.. uggh. I love the feeling of a beaten Kerouac in your back pocket that you take out on the tube and read right there.

[QUOTE]Over here you can either get pay as you go, which is top-up credit on your phone without a contract[/QUOTE]

Then I assume you're speaking of Virgin Mobile phones red?

If anything needs to be advanced on a cell phone it shouldn't be surpassed sounds, web use or game holding capacity. There should be improvements on better signals, it's just that I have to return a phone now, since the service isn't carried in teh area I live in, bastards...