OtakuBoards

Multiple personalities...

Godelsensei

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Every one knows that we all go through personality changes, depending on what situation we're in. Whether you're at home, at school or anywhere else, you're going to behave differently.

Only, I find it interesting that some people can be [I]so[/I] drastically different from place to place. I have friends who are pretty much the same everywhere they go, regardless of who they're around. And then there are those who's personalities reverse themselves as soon as they get home.

I was wondering what different people feel happens to them when they experience a shift in scenario. I, for one, find myself extremely surly, whiney and even lazier than usual when I'm at home, with my immediate family. When I'm with my friends I tend to talk extremely fast, about multiple things at once. While smiling.
Online, I turn into the evil, self-enfranchising, stuck-up, smart-assed twelve-year-old you guys know me as. Not that I'm not always twelve, mind you. Well, my age changes, of course, but it's static for the purpose of this topic. (if that made any sense, at all)

The only things that really hang tight are my laziness and my sarcasm. What a joy I must be to talk to._ _U

[I]Hoo-wee, how many times did I type "drastically" up there?? o_o""[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=Tahoma][color=#503f86]Wow, I was just going to talk about this in MyOtaku. How convenient ^_^[/color]

[COLOR=#503F86]I know what you mean- I tend to notice these effects quite strongly when with other people. Usually I get a better judge of what people are like when they're on their own- having groups of around usually makes them either act up or play down to a greater extreme than they would normally. It frustrates me that I see myself doing it too, because I know I'm not really like how I stupidly act around large groups of people. Mind you, depending on my mood I can just become completely silent, so it works both ways. Either way it frustrates me.

There's not much I can do about it- most people aren't consciously aware of the changes that happen so complaining about it wouldn't get me anywhere. My sister becomes really silly when her friends come round, and I tend to get along more easily with her when she's being sensible, but I wouldn't say anything because it's not her fault and she's probably not aware of it anyway.

As for me- online I always strive to be as much myself as I am offline, although I feel more confident about things online than off what with various psychological barriers not getting in the way. I'm more inclined to make jokes online because there are fewer social inhibitions and I can often have more personal chats with people I don't know so well for the same reason.[/COLOR][/font]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]At home-I'm as much myself as I could be I guess :wigout:

With friends-Twisted sense of humour, but will always help a friend in need

Boxing-Transform into the maddog killer type with a good heart lol

Online-Hmm, I just noticed I have a few personalities online, lol, in places like OB and online games I guess I could be called Mr Nice Guy. However on Tekken sites I tend to act like an asshole with a twisted sense of humour (it's ok though because they know me in real life lol)

Tekken Tournaments-The funny nutcase, always making jokes even when I'm kicking your ***, I tend to "dress" up in tournaments, last time I went there as a terrorist with a ski mask over my head and stuff lol, in the next tournament in April I'm going there as a pimp :mrt:[/FONT][/COLOR]

Guest cloricus
I know around friends and at home I act normal by my norm but at school I don't even if I'm around the same people, it's odd. Though some times at school I act the way I do at home and I know this because I'm normally sent to the infirmary or councillor which is always odd for me since I feel perfectly fine and some one is telling me there is some thing wrong. I personally think they just aren't used to a different way my personality comes across.

This doesn't really talk about the type of multiple personalities I expected to read about. Obviously one will act differently depending on what environment they're in at the current time. Most people I know are far more outgoing with their friends than at home... that's why people go out in the first place. I don't find people being more negative and drawn-in at home to be all that surprising considering how many people (mostly teenagers) feel about their home life in the first place, regardless of how it is in reality.

Well, I think my personality only "changes" as I get to know people. Around strangers, I'm more of a reserved, observant person because I don't really know the people too well. However, once you get to know me, I turn into a total dork. lol

The way I act online is pretty much the way I act offline around my good friends. I wouldn't say I'm more open online, per se, but people usually get to know you much faster online. So, people can be rest assured that I don't turn into some crazy, depressed psycho when I go offline :p

Home is pretty much the same thing, because I have an extreme familiarity with my family. I act the same around them as I do with my friends (except without some of the more derogatory humor lol). They know me well and I know them well - what would be the point of trying to conceal my personality?

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Yes, I've noticed that change in my behavior, too. I never knew if other people worked the same way, though. [/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]My huge personality changes concern who I'm with. In classes I have really good friends or a lot of people I like and am comfortable with in, I'm really outgoing and hyper. But in classes where I don't know anyone or there are just too many people I don't like, I'm really quite "self-contained" as a nice way to put it. [/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]I tend to act really nonchalant around people I know, but am not really friends with, but when I'm with my really good friends, I'm just all out there and all me! Yay![/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]At home I'm really different too. I'm really quiet and obeying because I get into trouble too often and I'm just kind of afraid of my mom... I also am up in my room a lot and I get into trouble for that too... [/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]I'll bet a lot of people change gears when they're in different surroundings too, but I think that's just a human behaviorial thing... Like, you're gonna act different when you're at a carnival to when you're at a funeral. *smiles evily*[/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]So... that's my little splurge. Splurge. :p [/size][/font]

[color=#707875]I'm pretty much the same everywhere, I guess. I mean, I tend to be more open and crazy at home, rather than with friends. With friends I'm the same, but sometimes I'm a bit more reserved.

Generally, I'm a pretty quiet person. It's not that I don't have anything to say, it's just that I often don't see the need to say anything at all. Of course, that entirely depends on who I'm around at the time. With friends, I'll usually have something to talk about.

Online...well, I think everyone would probably be surprised at how I am offline compared to online. It's not that I'm [i]different[/i], it's just that people build up an expectation about someone when they are only used to seeing them on chat/in forums.

I definitely sound a lot more casual when I talk, compared to when I type. It's not because I'm saying different words though...it's just because speech is so different to text. So even then, the environment that you're in changes how you're perceived by others.

[/color]

[color=firebrick] Yes...I am Sybil...back from the [b]dead[/b]...O_o[/color]

[i]My huge personality changes concern who I'm with. In classes I have really good friends or a lot of people I like and am comfortable with in, I'm really outgoing and hyper. But in classes where I don't know anyone or there are just too many people I don't like, I'm really quite "self-contained" as a nice way to put it.

I tend to act really nonchalant around people I know, but am not really friends with, but when I'm with my really good friends, I'm just all out there and all me! Yay!

At home I'm really different too. I'm really quiet and obeying because I get into trouble too often and I'm just kind of afraid of my mom... I also am up in my room a lot and I get into trouble for that too... [/i]

[color=firebrick]^_^ That's exactly like me. I can get too revved up when I'm with a good friend sometimes, but if I'm with people I barely know I could be a dead slug sitting the corner for all I care. I have the same personality switch URL, but I can be hyper with people I've never known online. :p I don't have a lot of self-esteem in real life.

The problem sort of interferes with me making friends, because I'm usually calm and subdued when I first meet them, and then as I get to know them more I go insane and most of them move away quickly. =_=[/color]

[quote name='James][color=#707875']I definitely sound a lot more casual when I talk, compared to when I type. It's not because I'm saying different words though...it's just because speech is so different to text. So even then, the environment that you're in changes how you're perceived by others.[/color][/quote]

James makes a good point...I know that the way I speak and the way I type/write are vastly different from each other. My writing style is definitely much wordier than my speaking style lol. I'm far more casual when I'm speaking compared to when I'm typing. It's a rather large difference, I think.

multiple personalities.. this thread has my name written all over it.

I have 2 main personalities and yes, the each have names, much like Karu from Fruits Baskets:

1-White)Very optimistic, always happy, doesn't stop laughing, really ditzy, naive, sweet yet extremely evil, I like to set stuff on fire and watch it burn.

3-Black)doesn't talk, doesn't laugh, only glares [i dont really do anything else...], serious, angry [you get the picture]

thats me! mostly i'm mostly White Jessie, but there are many times when all of a sudden I'll flip....yup....that's why sometimes I sound like I'm in a really bad mood.

~naru-chan

I am pretty much the same no matter where I am in reference to my personality. I am fairly outgoing, don't have a problem talking to people, just kinda go with the flow. I guess the only difference would be at which "level" I let my personality show through.

For instance. If I am at work I am friendly and outgoing, chit chat about the weather and the news with the clients. It is friendly, but not personal. With my friends I would be abit more open with them and share things at a different level.

The personality is all me, just toned down for some people. :wigout:

[size=1][color=darkred]I act different at home compared to school. But that is because it is my mum I am with, and there isn't any social pressure. I believe most people are different, at least subtely, at home, compared to publicly. It is just the atmosphere. Of course, everyone is different. So I don't know how you all are. I am quieter publicly, more open with friends, and in-between at home.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Shinmaru']James makes a good point...I know that the way I speak and the way I type/write are vastly different from each other. My writing style is definitely much wordier than my speaking style lol. I'm far more casual when I'm speaking compared to when I'm typing. It's a rather large difference, I think.[/quote]

I feel that my typing always comes off too seriously. I type in sentence form on AIM even, something I know most people don't do... although a good amount of OB people do heh. Plus, I just write rather formally. I even type out numbers as words instead of just shortcutting it and avoid contractions. The main reason I do this really stemmed from an attempt to increase my typing speed. I figured the more I did it, the better I'd get.

I wind up sticking in a lot of "lol"s just so people don't think I'm serious all the time heh.

[font=Arial][size=3]I find that when I'm at school or other public-peer places and not around anyone I know at the time, I'll get one of those "tuff," I'm-dark-and-don't-care-about-anything expressions on my face. probably because out of my years of middle school, I learned fairly early that people who seem shy are the ones who get the most unwanted attention. one of those "let's see if she does anything if I do/say this!"-type deals. my "tuff" exterior is my method of survival and adaptation, meh. if you at least look like you'd give 'em what-for if they bothered you, they usually don't. those that do get safety pins shot up their voodoo dolls' :eek: . not really :shifty: . but I don't worry about that as much, so it's all decent. [/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]other than that one bit, I'm usually pretty good about making sure I don't put on some facade, even if I do tend to tone down the more out-there parts of my personality to what'd be appropriate, lol.[/size][/font]

At home I'm lazy. That's it. And that helps me to think about alot of things. I find that sometimes I have a big day, and everything just goes so fast, and when I get home I need to think things over. And because I'm lazy at home, I have no problem doing that. It's all good.

When I'm with a mate, or a group of mates, or in town, or at work, I'm pretty social, I'm usually in with everyone else, not one of those who stand around and just go by time. I like talking to people, joining in the conversation, stirring people up, and the like.

Is there a difference between how I act in school, at home, and online? You bet! At school, I tend to be pretty silent, straightforward, etc. Not that I don't have fun with friends. At home, I'm a bit more outspoken. I'm just loafing around, doing a metric crapload of nothing. And as for online... I'm a regular riot. Let it all out, that I do.