OtakuBoards

Star Trek OBers [Or any Sci-Fi]

Jokopoko

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1][B]Greetings all, I'm wondering as to the exsistance of anyother Star Trek fans here other than the people I already know, note that it doesn't have to be Star Trek, as the title, any Sci-Fi will do...just wondering if the small group I know is alone on OB :-p[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#707875]You realize, of course, that "sci-fi" is a massive genre with many sub-genres.

I'm not really a big Star Trek fan, though I enjoyed the more recent movies (especially First Contact; it was my favourite out of 'em all). Even the old movies are quite good, although I personally don't really go out of my way to watch them. Star Trek always raises some really interesting questions, which a lot of sci-fi series/movies don't.

I'm also a huge Matrix fan, as many people already know. My fanatacism for that series has only increased in recent times though, due to a number of factors (watching various making-of documentaries, studying the philosophy behind the movies, studying the symbolism and plot, etc). With understanding has come love, I guess.

Other than that, sci-fi is a genre that I usually enjoy on some level. Whether it's Terminator, or Independence Day, or A.I...it's a genre that usually offers something of interest to me.

A.I. is one of my favourite movies. I love it for many reasons, including the beautiful cinematography and the powerful contrasts of both happiness and darkness in the same story. I also love what the movie says about human beings, and how, despite everything, the idea that "love is the key to all things" is conveyed so well...and in a way that is not cliche, like so many other movies.

[/color]

Star Trek isn't really my thing...I've never really been able to get into it for whatever reason.

Overall, my biggest love in Sci-Fi is Star Wars. The original trilogy is just so damned awesome and the entire universe is just so creative and imaginitive. Of course, novelists have expanded upon the original universe brilliantly and it makes the books just as fun to read through as the original movies were to watch. The original trilogy is probably the best trilogy of movies I've ever seen, heh (just my opinion, though).

One sci-fi series I've just barely got into (even though it's been around for years lol) is The X-Files. I never watched the original series because I wasn't really interested in it, but after seeing a few of the episodes recently, I've decided that I am an idiot. The episodes I saw were very well done and managed to capture my attention from start to finish, which is quite rare nowadays. I watched the movie recently, too, and it was quite good.

Science-fiction is a genre that I happen to enjoy quite a bit, because I'm a pretty imaginitive person and I like thinking about those kinds of things. It's fun to see a movie where everyone just let their imaginations run wild and, a lot of the time, science-fiction achieves that.

I really like Sci-Fi, but haven't been drawn to Star Trek. Maybe it was its semi-D&D geeky atmosphere. Maybe it was the hard to pronounce names. w/e.

I like Star Wars the the Matrix. I used to LOVE star wars with my whole heart, but i guess my fire burned out. Matrix however, isnt as much of an obbsession as SW was, but still amounts to a fetish.

Gotta love those "Free your mind" slogans. Reminds me of Buddism

[font=Verdana][size=1]Damn it beaten to the fence again... [[i]grumbles inaudably[/i]][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]Well I can freely admit that I'm a damn Sci-Fi nut and will read, rent or watch almost anything of a Sci-Fi nature. When I was about 7 or 8 I began watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Sky One UK and I have to admit that I fell in love with Sci-Fi, well that and my watching a litte film called Star Wars...[/size][/font]

[list]
[*][font=Verdana][size=1][b]Star Trek:[/b] Is indeed one of my favourite Sci-Fi series, although I have to admit that I'm neither a fan or the original with Shatner and Co. or Enterprise with Archer and Co. I suppose it's the depth that Star Trek has to it which really kept me hooked on this since childhood, I agree with James when he says that Star Trek brings up ideas and concepts that aren't covered in other Sci-Fi series. My example of such would be the Star Trek: TNG episode where it id debated whether or not Data is the property of Star Fleet[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1], [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]this is an interesting point and is not addressed in any other Sci-Fi series I know of. As for the movies I've not really loved any of them as much as I liked the TV series.[/size][/font]
[/list]
[list]
[*][font=Verdana][size=1][b]Star Wars:[/b] A cult classic and another of my favourite Sci-Fi series, Star Wars is less technical than Star Trek but has no less depth than the latter. I enjoy this because of the story to it, the long spanning Saga of the Empire and the Repbulic, of the Jedi and the Sith. I also enjoy the series because of what the Expanded Literary Universe has added to the series in depth as well as the new characters and plotlines that have been added to the expanding Saga.[/size][/font]
[/list]
[list]
[*][font=Verdana][size=1][b]Star Gate SG1:[/b] This though spawned from a single Movie has come and dominated my interest in the Sci-Fi universe. I really do enjoy the plotline to this and I will be sorry if Tuesday's episode on Sky One UK is indeed the last in the series. I suppose it's just the whole "reality" of it that is interesting and how it's not set in some fantasy timeline or place but here and now. The characters are an excellent bunch who really do draw you into their plights and joys, I was actually very touched when Daniel died in series 5. The stories draw on history and mythology and yet bring a whole new sense to them.[/size][/font]
[/list]
[list]
[*][font=Verdana][size=1][b]The Matrix:[/b] I'll be honest with you when I say that I'm not nearly as much into the Matrix as I am the above Sci-Fi series. I did truely enjoy the movies but there was something just lacking in them for me, I can't exactly name it but there was just something missing. I did enjoy the plot behind it and the character's were likable enough, however some thing like Tank's "disappearance" [/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=1]as well as the Orcales "tranfiguration" just sunk it for me. I'm sure that is a "deep" meaning to it somewhere and I'm just not getting it.[/size][/font]
[/list]
[font=Verdana][size=1]God this is getting longer than I wanted but I'll be finished soon. As for movies I'm just a fan of generally anything with a good plot and good cast to back it up, some films like [b]K-Pax[/b] for instance was hated by many people I know but I really did enjoy what it brought to the table. I guess that's all I have to say, if I think of any more I'll edit this but I doubt anyone will bother to read what I've edited...[/size][/font]

I am not really a sci-fi nut, but I do enjoy watching it. My favourites from this 'genre' are:

Farscape: Not only is it Australian made, but it doesn't take itself too seriously. What other show can combine ample make-up, puppets and cg and still be decent? The episode where it was almost entirely a cartoon in his head was pretty funny, but at the same time there is serious episodes where they have to save someones' life.

Star Wars: Self explanatory really. Its Star Wars. Wha'ts not to like?

Star Trek: Mainly the movies, but I enjoy Next Generation (Captain Picard is the bomb). The original and other spin offs don't interest me much, but Next Generation can hook me every time.

Matrix: This just blows your mind. It distortes your view on reality. In short, awesome. A world without Matrix is a scary place...

And they're the main ones I watch, when I feel the need for a geek kick.

[color=green]I?m a sci-fi fan, but the genre is so large that I?m afraid I know about only a small fraction of the quality stories that are out there.

[b]Star Wars[/b]: This has been my favorite Sci-Fi series since third grade, and I find it to be one of the very best. Its ever evolving plotline and great licensing deals (with the exception of letting Hasbro produce the action figures), have added to the already stellar original trilogy of movies.

[b]Star Trek: The Next Generation[/b]: I?ve seen every episode of TNG shown on TNN (and later Spike TV). This leave me with several holes in the first, second and seventh seasons. While this series has many flaws, I feel its plotline is much better than TOS.

[b]Enterprise[/b]: The newest and most interesting Star Trek series I?ve watched to date, this is one of my favorite Sci-Fi series. While it doesn?t usually deal with the heavy issues raised by TNG or TOS, its originality is a refreshing break from the cookie-cutter plotlines that pervade its predecessors.

[b]The Matrix[/b]: This is one of the best movies I?ve ever seen. Not only were the special effects mind blowing, but the story made you think. The ending to the first movie was superb; it provided a sense of closure while leaving space for sequels. Unfortunately, the two movies that followed were not as enthralling as the first. Reloaded was decent, but I despised Revolutions. Nevertheless, I like the series.[/color]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]I'm suprised this thread has gotten as far as it has without anyone mentioning 'The Fifth Element' which in my opinion is one of the best sci- fi movies around. 'A Clockwork Orange' while gory is still a really good movie and so is '2001 a Space Odessy'. The one 'Matrix' movie I watched was good so are the 'Star Wars' ones althought I never have and never will be a nut for it. As for 'Star Trek', 'Farscape', and 'Stargate SG1' they have never really grabbed my attention as good sci- fi. The 'Back to the Future' trilogy is also a rather good series of movies. As you can see I like alot of different types of sci- fi movies, which could be a good or bad thing.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1][B]Wow, I got replies. Guess I must list my Sci-Fi's now :sweat:

[U]Star Trek:[/U] In my opinion this is one of the greatest Sci-Fi series/movies/books and all that ever made. Firstly for that fact that while it's in the future it's not the far future [If you get my meaning] so it somehow seems plausable. One major problem I have with it is the ships designs, all of them are Aerodynamic when they don't need to be but ah well, in fact i's the technology and ships designs that I like the most about [Is in the middle of designing his own ship class]. In order the best series go Voyager, Deep Space Nine, The Next Generation, The Original Series and Enterprise. The reason I don't like ENT is that it screws up the timeline of events that has already been talked about in the other series due to it's nature as a prequel >_<.

[U]Star Wars:[/U] Love Star Wars though the only major taste of the universe I have had is from the movies and not the expanded Universe which does annoy me. I've read the second book in the Han Solo trilogy [The Hutt Gambit] and that was cool but not I want the other two >_<. The best movie for me is between 'The Empire Strikes Back' or 'Attack of the Clones'.

[U]Stargate SG1:[/U] I say SG1 because I think the series is in many respects better than the original movie, which is also good but not as good. The mixing of Sci-Fi and ancient mythology is a really nice idea, mostly because Thor is a little grey alien rather than a hulking Norse God ^_^. And that it has the old aliens which were the big powers in the galaxy which Star Trek and Star Wars lack.

[U]Bablyon 5:[/U] In many respects the forgotten Sci-Fi but also one of the best. I like it because it shows Earth in a different way than Star Trek, which is the easiest one to relate it to due to their nature. And, like Stargate SG1, is has the Ancients of the Universe [The Vorlons and the Shadows] which adds another dimension to any Sci-Fi in my opinon and the techno of Earth is good because it is limited unlike it is in Star Trek. Plus all the episodes link to each other because the series actually had one plot *Gasp!*.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='gumby][font=Arial][color=darkred The 'Back to the Future' trilogy is also a rather good series of movies. As you can see I like alot of different types of sci- fi movies, which could be a good or bad thing.[/color'][/font][/quote]

Heh, yes, the Back to the Future movies were really good. The first two, in particular, were awesome. The third, I thought, wasn't really that good and it just seemed there to give the series some closure. Still, that doesn't really drag down the other two movies any, heh. I still watch Back to the Future 1 & 2 and enjoy them a great deal.

I love all sci-fi,
Star Trek (namely TNG and Voyager, Patrick Stewart ^_^)
Enterprise
Stargate SG-1 (on in half an hour)
Andromeda (kinda strange)
Farscape
Smallville
Red Dwarf
Star Wars

I really love the way Stargate blends Sci-fi and Fantasy and actual historical fact. :D

There are two kinds of sci-fi fans. Those who love Star Wars and those who love Star Trek. What about those who like BOTH, I hear you say?? Well, bud, there ain't no such creature! They lie! Lies I tells ya!! Hey! What are you doing?? Stop that!! Unhand me you fool!! You cannot hide the truth!! The truth shall be revealed!! And ye shall worship in the Shrine of Yoda or in the Temple of Enterprise, and ye shall have only one worship, and ye shall smite all infidels whomever shall question ye faith.....so it is written...so it shall be done.....

:D If you read my above post, You'll see that I am a fan of both Star Trek, and Star Wars. Why..?

Star Wars has the Jedi, it has Yoda, it has Wikket the Ewok (and I don't care if I spelt it wrong) I like the way that Star Wars has a very fantasy-like base, with a group of people who have a certain kind of power, and they keep the peace in the galaxy. But they have those who have been corrupted, and they try to bring about conflict and take over.

Star Trek, on the other hand, has a basis in scientific fact. It's a group of normal people, (usually) with no powres ar specail abilities, who survive all kinds of scary insane **** using nothing but their wits and whatever firepower they have available. (It also has the Borg and Vulcans) :D

Yay for Star Trek!! I love that shown. I use to watch it when i was little and a few months ago i found they started to play the old episodes and then move onto the whole series of it on channel 35 (for my area). Classic show with a lot of Drama and suspence in it, gotta love that :D

~Laters

Hm... Sci-fi...

[b]Star Trek:[/b] I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, especially [i]The Next Generation[/i]. I think that Patrick Stewart's series is the best of 'em all, although I haven't seen Enterprise yet. Unfortunately, I haven't heard many good things about it... :( I guess I like it because, for one thing, it's got a lot of actual science in it, and not quite as much fiction. And there are no Jar-Jar Binks characters running around. Data is one of the most interesting characters, due to the whole 'essence-of-humanity' thing. (As for favorite movies, I'm split between First Contact and Nemesis. ^^)

[b]Stargate SG-1:[/b] Also a fan of this one. It's just a really good show. I also enjoyed the movie that sparked it. There's a lot of variety in the show, since the team is always ending up on a different planet, with a different situation. And the main baddies are awesome.

[b]Matrix:[/b] What is there to say about it that hasn't been said already? Hm... Well, the only detractor I can find in the entire series is the rave scene in Revolutions. Very disturbing stuff... oO;

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond]I only have one:

Mutant X: This is a great show. It has a fairly good plot and plenty of drama, comedy, and everything else that make up good shows. The whole show is about a man named Adam, who breaks out of the company he was working for (sorry can't remember the name), and recruits new mutants to his team to fight said company. In addition to others he gets my favorite charecter Brennan. You see, he was a car thief until he got caught, then he was got out and was recruited to join the already growing team of mutants. If you ever have free time, search for this show and try to catch some of the older eps to catch up.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=2][font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]:love: [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]Well, I must say I am a sci-fi junky. I mean that I can not get enough sci-fi. It started with Star Trek Next Generation when I was younger and I have loved it ever since then. I am a big TV watcher and most of the shows I watch are sci-fi and when they choose to end most of the Star Trek show my heart broke. I Thank Heaven for reruns, Sci-Fi Channel, WB, and the UPN network.[/color][/font] [/size]

Man oh man, the sweetness of Sci-fi. Star Wars has to be at the absolute top of my list for best sci-fi around. Sure, the new movies have beena bit disappointing, but there still fun to watch. The expanded universe added by so many gifted authors is awesome, and the mini-series made by Cartoon Network just rocked. Other good jazz would be the Matrix (regarded by many as the Star Wars of our time)

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]i'll just come out and say it: I'm really not a big Star Wars fan. I'm sorry, but it's a fairy tale with space ships. The prequels were painful, and I really only liked the original (A New Hope). I like certain aspects of it, but on the whole, ehhh....

Star Trek, though, is awesome. The original has great cheez value, and the Next Generation is an excellant show. Deep Space Nine was okay, and I like a lot of Voyager, but...I never really enjoyed Enterprise. Ah, well.

I really, really liked two out of the three Matrix movies. Matrix: Reloaded was a filler piece of carp, but the others blew my mind.[/color][/size][/font]