OtakuBoards

School Plays/Musicals

Fyodark

Alrighty, though I'd start a thread about school dramatic productions etc etc...

Anyone been in one? If so which? Which role... etc

Right now at my highschool we're doing the musical Anything Goes, by Cole Porter. (originally done in 1934, but there was a broadway revival in I think 1982)

I'm doin the role of Billy Crocker, a lead, one of the three 'big' leads. Yep yep, I'm pretty proud of the role :cool: heheh, cept the productions reaching its more stressful stages with a month and a half till the show and set completion just coming around, but we still have alot of polishing up to do with some of the chorus singers and some of my dances arent totally choreographed, but it'll come together fine I'm sure of it.

But anywho... I'd love to hear from you guys about this subject......area..... yes, area. :D

[color=darkviolet]I played the part of a scientist and a townsperson in Inherit the Wind. I got to stand up and gasp.

I also wanted to punch the girl who played Mrs.Brady the first two nights which has nothing to do with this post.

I was also in the chorus in Once Upon a Matress. My high school's dram club and musical groups were rather political so even if I was a good actress I never got further than chorus.

One of my cousins got a pretty cool part in Fiddler on the Roof. He got to play the Rabbi. One of the villagers came up to him and said "rabbi, I want you to bless my sewing Machine and he said 'Www dot singer dot com.

I think I'd like to take this opportunity to ask, what is your faviorite musical?

I'll come back with mine later.[/color]

Hmmm I don't know if a have an absolute fave.

Some of the better ones are ummm... Footloose, Grease, Fiddler on The Roof, Chicago, Jesus Christ Superstar (lol, I'm not a religious man or anything, but this ones good).... Those are some of my favourites... and of course theres alot of the disney movies, which are cartoons but alot of them arent bad at all as musicals. (Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, etc)

And well... it only has two songs in it... but it would be my utmost wish to be able to be involved in a production of Monty Python and the Holy Grail :D

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Agh!! Musicals!! *runs and hides*

*creeps back, still warry*

Sorry, but I really have no appreciation for musicals. _ _U They just drive me nuts. This could be partially because of the fact that it is not uncommon for some of the guys in my core class to burst into "I Feel Pretty" (both harmonies) at random intervals. Then again, the guys in my core like to knit during math class...*sigh* I wonder if we perpetuate the spedial ed stereotype in any way, or if we're just messed up in our own way.

Anyway, on to the purpose of this rant:

My school is putting on the dramatized version of 'The Outsiders' this April, and, though I am not actually acting, I am on the costume comittee. I look forward to sticking the guys in girl's roles (if we have any, after all...they were debating who should play Cherry for a while, I think...*laughter*) in poodle skirts.^^
I was Malvolio in our sixth grade preformance of Twelfth Night. That was fun, even though I had to wear yellow stockings. *shudder*

That's pretty much it, though my drama group does alot of preformances at assemblies...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=orange][size=1] *Sucks in deep breath* Mrs. Hannigan from Annie, Maria in West Side Story, Andrea in Once Upon This Island, Cogsworth the Clock in Beauty and the Beast, Lenna from You Can't Take It with You, Citil in Fiddler on the Roof, and the scullery maid in Into the Woods. Out of all of them, I'd have to say that I had most fun playing Cogsworth the Clock in Beauty and the Beast, although I am a girl. I didn't like playing Ms. Hannigan from Annie too much though; imagine a polish-looking asian wearing a bright red wig, and that would be my performance...[/color][/size]

School drama productions...*sigh* what memories! In 6th grade, I was violinist #1 in The King's Sneezes...don't ask. I was in Finder's Creepers, it's a really funny play! Now, I'm in Krazy Kamp. We're putting it on on friday and saturday and people are still screwing up! T_T;

My favorite musical would have to be at the moment, Little Shop of Horror. It was quite funny! Another high school put it on and I went to go see it with a friend. Hehe, there's a [spoiler]a talking plant that says "No S**t Sherlock!" [/spoiler] It was quite funny.

I love musicals! I am actually in the process of being Gladys Zutwitizki in "Carnival" I am playing as one of the saimease twins!!! I was also Baptista in "The Taming of the Shrew" In the fall. I know it isn't a musical but it was fun. Carnival is amazing. Lots of carnies though. we had a bunch of people audition! And after all the leads and supporting leads were full....we ended up w/ like.........15 carnies.....it's scary....we even have a bearded lady......who is actually a guy. Well, I hope you enjoy reading my reply....AND JOIN PLAYS ANS MUSICALS!!! THEY ARE A GREAT EXPERIENCE! I mean right now..me and my older brother are making a documentary on the practices. it's really funny...and we record our plays and have them put on DVD's and we're putting the docu. on.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

well our school just finished its yearly musical production of Grease.

*looks pleased in her nifty Grease cast tee-shirt.*

nobody thought we were going to do it but we did, I only played as a student, but it was well worth it, now I regret not joining musicals and plays sooner, I'm told I'm quite an actress and singer, but I took the artist's path, alas!

just recently I tried out for "who am I this time" just as a lowly character, but they kept asking me to read the part for the lead, Helene, sheesh, why does this occur to me as I'm just leaving highschool.

ah well.

Has any other school performed grease besides mine?

Guest Locke70
This winter we just did the play Anything Goes. I played one of the chinese converts.
It wasn't a real big part but i had fun.

[color=gray]I have this strange power which works negative on me, that I always seem to miss the schoolplays and musicals.

I skipped school right before we had the "school play" year lol. Also the last 2 years my class was skipped for school plays. Of course my class didnt mind, but I love acting ^_^;;
But my brother and sister have both done a few school plays.
My brother like 5 now I think.. could be 6. (and that times 2 cause some were 3 evenings aftereachother lol)

So thats my School Play/musical experience tada[/color]

I go to a vocational school and I study graphic design. This year they opened up a new program, Technical Theater. It really isn't technical, just theater because the insturctor prefers it that way. I think I would have been happier studying this than graphic design, but alas it's too late now.

My school didn't have an after school drama department until recently either, my senior year for which I was and am too busy to participate in any plays. I do have a drama class though, and that's very fun. We do in class productions, I've played old ladies, seven year olds, junkies, kareoke singers. Great fun, but nothing serious.

I haven't been in a play since junior high school, where I played he lead in the play "The Paper Bag bandit" But recently, my school held auditions for the student directed one acts, and a friend of mine is directing "12 angry Men" which is awesome play. (it was made into a movie twice, and if u watch one, watch the one with Henry Fonda, mucho awesome) So maybe I'll be acting again.

[size=1]I was really involved in theatre for all four years of high school, mostly with the tech aspect of it. I always went in to help build sets and paint and all that in the beginning, and then eventually I was a constant crew member. The last couple years I was actually in charge of moving the set on and off stage during the shows - a position that we called "Crew Leader," although I don't think it's a common thing for theatre groups in general.

Acting wise, I did a little bit. Usually just ensemble and one-liners during shows. Most of the time I wound up on stage while I was also doing the crew thing, just because they needed more extras. For District and State competitions, though, I always stepped up and did more. Never monologues, and definitely not anything musical - I don't have any talent there whatsoever. ^.^;;

The production of Blues we did senior year (for the One Acts) did very well at Districts and States - we got straight superiors. Whoo for us. Other plays that I've done that were memorable were Casablanca, Macbeth, Hamlet, Dr. Seuss, Empire Records, Bye Bye Birdie (I hated this production, actually, but my crew was one of the best ever, strangely enough), and Diversions... to name a few. Good times.[/size]

[QUOTE=Juuthena][color=deeppink][size=1]eeeeeeee! Evie, you made the play!!! ^_______________^ *pounce huggles ya*

Lol. I've played the mom in Johnny Appleseed, Pilgram #6 in Squanto, and I'm having most fun playing Rusty Charlie in 'Guys and Dolls' since that's the biggest part in a musical I've had yet. x.x;;; I wear a simple orange suit, and a hat. I'm having a lot of fun, even though I've just got one solo and sing with the ensamble for three other songs. ^_^;;

*throws a cookie at Miss Evelyn* You're back!! ...and you've been back. oO;[/color][/size][/QUOTE] [color=orange][size=1] [b]Dork.[/b] You know, I've always wanted to play a pilgrim! I've never been in a production there were real pigrim parts. (There was Pocahantas, but I was Native America #3...-__-*)[/color][/size]

[FONT=Arial]Well let me see. I was Colonel Malcet ?the daddy? in Black comedy. I was a cowboy and the messenger in Annie get your gun. I was Allan Swan ?the bad father? in my favorite year. And right now I am Robert ?the crazy dad? in Proof. Closing night for Proof was last week but we cut the script down to 30:00 minutes and we are taking it to districts for speech teem. I seem to play a lot of dad rolls.
Well that?s about it.
Ta Ta for now. [/FONT]