OtakuBoards

Yu Yu Hakusho

Dagger

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Dagger']The final battles in each arc tend to be on the long side, but sadly, to this day I cannot think of any other comparably lengthy, 1990+ show in the genre that:

1) Gets consistently better as it goes along;
2) Doesn't have any filler; and
3) Has a real ending.[/QUOTE]I have to agree, since even then, compared to some of the overdrawn out battles of other series, the ones in this show aren't that bad as far as length goes, and the lack of filler is a definite plus. It's great how it's consistent in avoiding that pitfall that so many other shows with battles tend to fall into. [quote name='Dagger']YYH is one of Funi's older & looser dubs. But what the English version loses in bite, it gains in some very funny not-quite-true-to-the-original lines.

On the other hand, the Japanese version has an all-star cast, so it's hard to go wrong here. ;)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]Heh, that's the other thing I like about this series. Even though the English does lose a bit of the edge the humor in it makes up for it. I prefer the Japanese, but I actually like both.

And now reading this thread has me wanting to pull out the series and watch it again since it's been awhile. :)[/COLOR]

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dagger']Aw man, now you have me feeling all nostalgic. It's been forever since I last posted in this thread, and I [i]still[/i] haven't finished the final arc. Which doesn't mean it isn't great--I just can't bring myself to watch as the darn show ends! :animecry:
[/QUOTE]

I never knew you still haven't finished the series yet, Dagger. I totally understand, though. My favorite anime has ended and now I have to go find something else to watch.

I still have to [i]finish[/i] my collection. I'm missing the couple first episodes of the DT and I've recently bought one of those new DVD specials with 2 DVDs that FUNi has released.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR=DarkOrange]Meh. I got bored of this show somewhere during the Dark Tournament arc. It was still kinda cool, but you get bored of the same old moves and stuff after a while. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hmm I thought the Dark Tournament was the most entertaining. Not only do we see what other techniques Team Urameshi can pull off but we actually see more character development. I think that the boys actually went through all the "getting-to-know-each-other" during this arc.

Besides, it wasn't all repetitive. In almost every match there were different rules or something kept one or two members from fighting in the ring. The first match was the usual one vs. one but after that I recall one fight being a sort of free-for-all. In the semi-finals the matches were even determined by rolling of dice. It certaintly kept my attention.

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR=goldenrod] Still out of all the characters my favorite was Kurama. I'm thinking it would be worth watching it again just to follow what happens to him. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

It's definitely worth it. Kurama's past has got to be my favorite part out of this whole series. Sadly, my DVD with those particular episodes skips after the first episode. ;.;

[quote name='Dagger']

1) Gets consistently better as it goes along;
2) Doesn't have any filler; and
3) Has a real ending.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

1. Not always the case with the series. It starts off terrible until the fighting actually starts. Then it does get better up and past the Dark Tournament arch. Chapter Black arch was horrible up until the end where one of the best moments in an anime occur.[spoiler] Kuwabara , Hiei , and Kurama all are hepless and have to watch Yusuke die. When they manage to escape they all charge Sensui with all their highest power even though they didn't stand a chance of beating him.[/spoiler] Truly heart wrenching. The final arch of the series was just WTF am I watching here? There were a few good episodes mainly the [spoiler] Hiei vs the man who gave him his third eye[/spoiler] but that was about it. I suppose it did end with a good conclusion which seems to have become rare in animes nowadays.

2. No filler just annoying as hell episodes that barely advanced the plot or were just boring.

3. Offered a good conclusion but wasnt a great or memorable ending.

YYH had some truly great action sequences. But it was such a cliche anime and it got a bit too predictable

[quote name='Kenshin DX']
YYH had some truly great action sequences. But it was such a cliche anime and it got a bit too predictable[/QUOTE]
Ah, but certainly no more so than Bleach, Naruto, Kenshin, Dragonball, etc. While it doesn't hold up well compared to more ambitious, highfalutin' fare, it holds up astonishingly well compared to its peers.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Ah, but certainly no more so than Bleach, Naruto, Kenshin, Dragonball, etc. While it doesn't hold up well compared to more ambitious, highfalutin' fare, it holds up astonishingly well compared to its peers.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Hah you are most certainly right. Bleach(especially Bleach) , Naruto , Rurouni Kenshin(I chose my username because of the amazing OVA) and Dragonball are completely cliche. You can litteraly see an episode and then watch a new one and feel like you have seen the exact same thing before. It's one of those" I swear I saw this episode before even though it's brand new".

Yes I feel Bleach is probably the most horrendous when it comes to being predictable.

YYH is certainnly not as bad as the list of animes you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally I have yet to find another anime where they[spoiler] kill off the main character in the very first episode...[/spoiler]

I have always seen Yu Yu Hakusho as a very well put together series, the fights weren't as long as some other anime and didn't bore me to death. Some of the character development was pretty awesome too, although they could have done a tad more to expand Kuwabara and Keiko in my eyes... They lacked development to me really.
The plot twist at the end of the Chapter Black Saga was pretty great for me too. Of course granted you could almost see it coming, it was still unpredictable enough to keep it interesting... if that even makes sense.
I'm really proud to own this series, I watch it quite often and it is definately near the top of my anime favourites list.[COLOR="Indigo"][INDENT][SIZE="1"]Even if it is in the first episode, don't spoil it for someone who hasn't seen the show yet. If in doubt, spoiler tag it. Thanks. ~indifference[/SIZE][/INDENT][/COLOR]

[quote name='ShinigamiNoMiko']Personally I have yet to find another anime where they [spoiler]kill off the main character in the very first episode...[/spoiler]

.[/QUOTE]

Gantz. And that was the general premise of both animes life after death.

[quote name='ShinigamiNoMiko']Personally I have yet to find another anime where they[spoiler] kill off the main character in the very first episode...[/spoiler]

I have always seen Yu Yu Hakusho as a very well put together series, the fights weren't as long as some other anime and didn't bore me to death. Some of the character development was pretty awesome too, although they could have done a tad more to expand Kuwabara and Keiko in my eyes... They lacked development to me really.
The plot twist at the end of the Chapter Black Saga was pretty great for me too. Of course granted you could almost see it coming, it was still unpredictable enough to keep it interesting... if that even makes sense.
I'm really proud to own this series, I watch it quite often and it is definately near the top of my anime favourites list.[COLOR="Indigo"][INDENT][SIZE="1"]Even if it is in the first episode, don't spoil it for someone who hasn't seen the show yet. If in doubt, spoiler tag it. Thanks. ~indifference[/SIZE][/INDENT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I tried, really I did but honestly I couldn't find it, I waved my mouse over every little icon.:animeswea I'm sorry, I honestly tried not to ruin it for other people.

• 11 months later...
I'm feeling a lack of love for YYH right now.
So I will change that by posting here.

I can proudly say YYH is my favorite anime.
Hence my custom title here. XD

YYH is my favorite series since I feel it has the perfect balance of
action/ adventure, comedy and romance.
Not to mention the characters are well-developed and the fights usually don't last more than an episode or two. The only fights that last longer is when Yuusuke is facing the big cheese. But of all those battles the only one I can think of lasting for more than 2 episodes is when he faced Suzuki, Toguro and Sensui.

Not to mention there are some good plot twists.
And how many series do you know start off with your protagonist dead?
DBZ just kills them and brings them back to life in a few episodes.

• 5 months later...
I will never forget the scene when Ototo-Toguro (Younger Toguro) was carrying the ring on his back during the Dark Tournament after Hiei destroyed the other one in the stadium during his battle with Bui. I also love how Sakyo robbbed Tarukane of his entire fortune of $66,050,200,000,000.

YYH was actually one of my first anime's i watched. It got me into anime along with Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop. The whole story line in this anime is great, and it doesnt really drag on or repeat the same scenario's. Or from what i can remember :
And as for Gantz >> [spoiler]that is a great anime but its kinda confusing if you dont pay attention to it. It made me sad that the anime stoped short and the manga kept going. I want to know how it ends.[/spoiler]

• 8 months later...