OtakuBoards

Yu Yu Hakusho

Dagger

The box sets are considerably cheaper, especially if you get them during an online sale. I bought the two Dark Tournament collections for about $50 each (although pre-ordering the Chapter Black collection set me back about $60, because of my impatience). Any long series is going to be expensive, but Yu Yu Hakusho is a little more doable than most.

Alternatively, you could hold out for even cheaper "book" collections. FUNimation has released Blue Gender three times--first as singles, then in a normal box set, and recently they also announced a extremely affordable book-style set. There's a possibility they may do something similar with Yu Yu Hakusho, although you might have to wait a while.

~Dagger~

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, I guess. If the DVDs were more than $20 dollars (like $30) I probably wouldn't have been able to see the whole series.

Where did you get your box sets? When I go to suncoast they're $100 each 0_0. I ask for one each christmas so my parents dont have to go all out. The only one I have now is the first season and the only other one I need is the first half of the DT. I only need two more DVDs to complete the second half of the DT and I have so many other missing ones that I need to buy individually.

That would be neat if they did that book thing.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Hah! I bought the DVD's two days ago and just watched them now, including the commentaries. Wow...they were even funnier on the commentaries than they were that day in Philadelphia.

I loved Chuck Huber. [SPOILER]"If you play that scene back, it looks like Kurama has no butt...He is completely assless. Oh, we can't say that? He has no donkey. Oh, wait, that sounds worse, doesn't it? Why does he need a donkey?!"[/SPOILER]

As far as the DVD's go, I only have one DVD of the Spirit Detective Saga, the Second Half of the Dark Tournament Saga, and every DVD after that up until the end. So, I don't have all of them either.[/FONT]

[quote name='xmystic_silverx']Where did you get your box sets?[/quote]
During one of TRSI's FUNimation sales. The problem with this is that the studio sales repeat about every six to seven months (e.g. there was another Funi sale in... July, I think, so that means the next one will probably be the spring), and there's no guarantee that one won't pop up when you're dead broke, haha. DVD Pacific offers the uncut singles for about $15 each.

[quote]When I go to suncoast they're $100 each 0_0.[/QUOTE]
Heh... yeah, Suncoast sells almost all of their anime-related stuff at MSRP. Ignoring the obvious bootlegs, there seem to be some sets going for $60 to $70 each on eBay. Of course eBay isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there are plenty of more reliable sites to pick from.

I'm glad the entire Chapter Black saga is being bundled in one box. I've heard really really great things about this arc. Plus Sensui sounds unbelievably cool.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']During one of TRSI's FUNimation sales. The problem with this is that the studio sales repeat about every six to seven months (e.g. there was another Funi sale in... July, I think, so that means the next one will probably be the spring). [/quote]

Ahh... I see. Pretty long wait >_< The other problem is that I have some DVDs from every season so that means if I buy the box set then chances are that I'll have a couple DVDs that are the same and I don't want to spend money on something when I already have it XP But I still need the first half of the DT so I'll keep your information in mind when I'm looking for some sales.

[QUOTE]
I'm glad the entire Chapter Black saga is being bundled in one box. I've heard really really great things about this arc. Plus Sensui sounds unbelievably cool.[/QUOTE]

It is a really cool saga. I like it the most because of the continuous "tests/tasks" that they have to do (if you would call them that @_@) . There are more bad guys with unusual powers and what-not. I never liked Senui. Probably because his view on humanity is a little messed up.

[quote name='Sinistra][FONT=Palatino Linotype']Hah! I bought the DVD's two days ago and just watched them now, including the commentaries. Wow...they were even funnier on the commentaries than they were that day in Philadelphia.[/FONT][/quote]

Lol XD Chuck Huber has to be the funniest guy. Everytime I hear him on the commentary I try to imagine Hiei complaining that the clothes that the ladies wear don't match or that Kurama has no butt XD

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=xmystic_silverx]That's great! You'll like it very much! XD

Are you serious? 0_o Holy, I could never afford all those DVDs and even if I had enough money to buy them all, I don't think I would although that was my plan in the first place. I have the whole DT series that Im missing.[/QUOTE]

I don't have them all on DVD...most of them are VHS. I think around 13-15 of my volumes are DVD's, but I'm not sure at the moment because my friend is borrowing some of them. I've been collecting them since Spring 2004...

And I have the last volume now! I plan to watch it on my birthday, and that's coming up very soon! So nobody spoil it for me, ok?

Guest DarkWolvesFaith
Honestly, Yu Yu Hakusho is my top favorite anime, so...I can't see anything wrong with it. But thats just my opinion. :animeswea

The characters are what make the show, I think. They've all got such detail in their past, almost like they have their own plotlines. Plus, like a few people said, the female characters of the series aren't ditzy and winey. I mean, hey, us girls can be strong too! :animeswea

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=AkinaRose]I don't have them all on DVD...most of them are VHS. I think around 13-15 of my volumes are DVD's, but I'm not sure at the moment because my friend is borrowing some of them. I've been collecting them since Spring 2004...

And I have the last volume now! I plan to watch it on my birthday, and that's coming up very soon! So nobody spoil it for me, ok?[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. I don't know how long I've been buying YYH DVDs, I just know it was when they stopped the series on TV right before the Karasu vs Kurama fight.

Well you're going to have to tell me what you think of it when you watch it XD.

But I have to bring something up. Does anyone else own the Bandits and Kings DVD? Because on mine, for some reason it just started to skip one day when I was watching it and then another friend of mine had the same complaint about the same volume. Is it just me or do the Bandits and Kings DVDs have something wrong with them?

YES~!

My Chapter Black box set arrived today, just a little ahead of the street date. Seven DVDs of YYH goodness? Hell yeah... I see a marathon in my future. The artbox has a rather plain design, mirroring its predecessors, but at least it's pretty sturdy. I absolutely can't wait to start catching up with this series. It's been way too long. :animesmil

~Dagger~

I know how you feel..... I feel the same way I receive new anime DVD's or mangas.
Most recently, receiving my Yu-Yu Hakusho: King Urameshi DVD. I haven't ordered the Chapter Black set yet, but I'm definately planning on it. Chapter Black is one of my favorite Yu-Yu Hakusho seasons. I have ordered the Dark Tournament box set, though. I watched it 3 times straight, from 12:00 P.M. to 11:30 the next day. Yeah.

Thank you,
Teiler Johannes Niels Jääfren Köregäten

Three times straight? That's mind-boggling, haha.

I'm starting to see why everyone praises Chapter Black so much. I mean, I've always been one to tout Togashi as a master of this stuff, but the whole concept of [spoiler]the videotape[/spoiler] is just brilliantly [i]devious[/i]. [spoiler]Doctor[/spoiler] made a fabulous minor villian--I noticed the animation style got pretty creative in the episodes featuring him, so it wasn't too surprising to see Akiyuki Shinbo's name in the credits.

I just love the darkness of this arc. Like the scene in which [spoiler]Gourmet swallowed Toguro's head[/spoiler]--now that made me shudder. I'm about to see episode 77, which [spoiler]apparently explains Sensui's past,[/spoiler] so needless to say, I'm really psyched. :animesmil

~Dagger~

It is a good "chapter" isn't it. Yes, the part with Gourmet made everyone shudder when they saw it. It was rather, um... unexpected...

Anyways, You're in for a treat as far for the following episodes. I'm in the "Three Kings" saga right now. It's definately one of the [I]best[/I] Yu-Yu Hakusho sagas.
My favorite part of it would have to be the "King Urameshi" DVD I mentioned earlier.
Do you have the "Three Saint Beasts" DVD set yet? It has special never- before -seen footage. Not mention it comes with a seperated DVD which has all of the episodes re-done with new scenes, new lines, new characters, and some new....um......content........ I'll just say the seperate DVD is rated TV-MA.
This is what it said it was rated TV-MA for: "strong language, violence, adult content,
sexual themes, strong sexual content, gore, and brutal torture." Yikes, huh?
To get the seperate DVD with it, you had to pay $45.00 extra and be over 18.
It also says another anime studio helped with its production. Hope that information helps.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Sincerely,
Teiler Johannes Niels Jääfren Köregäten[/FONT]

Guest Eilidh Rois
I've seen the majority of YYH and i'm in the process of finishing the series. I'm just waiting to get V.25 and v.32. I have had to skip around with episodes of YYH because they had stopped airing it Cartoon Network for certian obvious reasons. (Please correct me if I'm Wrong) I had missed the 3 eps.of the Chapter Black series. and also they didn't have it in stock in most places and takes weeks to get it in.

But altogether YYH is my favorite anime for multiple reasons, the combanation of characters and their pesonalities as well as the humor and the stoyline that never really drags. The main reason was the way it was all put together.

Truly
Eilidh Rois :catgirl:

~28 episodes in two days. What a ride!

Overall, I completely loved Chapter Black. I'm pretty depressed that there are now less than twenty episodes left--I just hope the final arc doesn't feel too compressed, although it'll be a while before I get to see it (I hope they announce a box set soon).

Amusingly, my main quibbles about Chapter Black were corrected as it went along. For example, at one point I remember thinking to myself: "The fights here are fantastic, but I wish it wasn't so Yusuke-centric." And then [spoiler]he DIED.[/spoiler] Talk about wish fulfillment. :animeswea

The tying-up-loose-ends portion of the story could have stood to be a little less "everything's coming up roses," but I guess it was a necessary antidote to Sensui's moral murkiness. The tragic moments, like [spoiler]Yusuke's death and Game Master's death,[/spoiler] were handled very well. The transformation in Hiei's attitude toward the other characters is more apparent here than in any other part of the show. One of my favorite little details was during the aftermath, when [spoiler]Hiei fell asleep from exhaustion and Kuwabara (!!) was shown toting him around on his back.[/spoiler]

In fact, I'm left with only one major complaint--I felt that Itsuki was really underused. I mean, if you think about it, he's quite possibly even crazier than Sensui. I would have loved [spoiler]to see him fight (think of what Elfen Lied's Lucy can do with four extra arms, and imagine what he could do with six!).[/spoiler] Also, in relation to Sensui, I wish [spoiler]his other personalities had been explored more thoroughly. Like the girl, haha.[/spoiler]

What it boils down to is that Chapter Black would've been [i]perfect[/i] if they had one or two flashback episodes focusing just on Sensui and Itsuki. Having Itsuki narrate the backstory was cool too, but I'm really curious about how he dealt with [spoiler]the emergence of Sensui's other personalities after the Black Black Club incident, as well as what the dynamic between them was like before that.[/spoiler]

One last remark--did anyone else think Sensui's [spoiler]"sacred armor"[/spoiler] was a major tip of the hat to Saint Seiya?

~Dagger~

Very true. I completely agree with you. Yes, I do believe Sensui's Sacred Armor was a sort of tribute to Saint Seiya.

As far as Chapter Black goes, it was very well planned out. The storyline was perfect, characters perfect, and the plot was stupendous.

Chapter Black was about 99.9% perfect. It did need more backgroung on Itsuki and Sensui.

I love your opinions, Dagger. Your thoughts have really made me think. Thank you.

Most sincerely,
Teiler Johannes Niels Jääfren Köregäten

[QUOTE]I just hope the final arc doesn't feel too compressed, although it'll be a while before I get to see it (I hope they announce a box set soon). [/quote]

I think the last arc is just as good as chapter black. It gives you a more in-depth look at Hiei and Kurama's past and a bit of Yusuke's. It's quite interesting because [spoiler]Hiei, Kurama and Yusuke are put against each other when they return to demon world.[/spoiler]

[quote]"The fights here are fantastic, but I wish it wasn't so Yusuke-centric." And then [spoiler]he DIED.[/spoiler] Talk about wish fulfillment. :animeswea [/quote]

I know... and Hiei didn't fight until the end and when Yusuke did [spoiler]die[/spoiler] I was seriously like "You have got to be kidding!". I thought the challenges, like the games, were more interesting than the fights.

And Itsuki was underused. I really liked the part were Itsuki tells about how he met Sensui and I think they should have added more about their past. Otherwise, I loved that saga.

• 2 weeks later...
This is way off of the current conversation here, but if anyone else was irritated by the fact that CN abruptly took YYH off, I have great news!

YYH is back, right where they left off, at 5:30 AM EST Saturday mornings. I know, it's very inconvenient, but I happened to be up at the time getting ready for work when I saw that it was on. I figured it would be nice to let the other YYH fans know. :animeswea

I didn't know where to put this info, so I put it in the main YYH thread. Forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

Yes, cartoon network suck. I have to wait 2 hours everyday for the good anime, because they won't stop having camp lazlo marathons... :animeangr Plus the anime they have right now isn't top notch... I wish The Anime Network was on Dish Network so bad! :animecry: But, I'm really glad that YYH is finally showing again. It better have a good explanation for leaving so long! LOL, I hope they bring back Ruroni Kenshin and robot week...and dragon ball z...and so many other good animes they left hanging!

My comcast cable box lets me see what on for the week and I checked to see if it was true. YYH is on at that time. My Mom and I were fallowing the serise untill they took it off. Now it's back on. The only problem is that it is on to early. Me and my mom can't get up that early on a saturday.

• 1 month later...
:love2: Hi I just LOVE YU YU HAKUSHO!!! :catgirl: It's the best show Ever!! I just can't get tired of it.Althogh I get sad in the ending cuz there's no more :( but the ending is soo cute when Yusuke and kaiyko kiss in the beach during the sunset :animesigh :blush: that was the best!! Then I laugh when the wave hits them. :rolleyes: " I'm so evil.." I just love the show well maybe it's because i love Hiei. :love2: he has to be the hottess character next to kurama. I think Kuwabara is kind of cute.. :faint: well I think all the times he is always so noble and sweet to others.man...but the couple I think that should be together is Touya and Yukina those two would make such a cute couple :animesmil

Great news. The Saga of the Three Kings box set is scheduled to come out on March 7. I think that's quicker than a lot of people expected. Anyway, I've already placed my order. The retail price is $99, but it only set me back $54, thanks to Right Stuf's FUNimation sale (which lasts until December 18!).

I've heard such great things about the final arc. March can't come soon enough. :)

~Dagger~

which yu yu hakusho characters should be together. :glasses: I thaink yukina and Touya would make a cute couple together :catgirl: Also i know i'm kicking poor Kuwabara to the curb but let's see who would be for him :animesmil I know I would perfect for hiei.. :catgirl: :love2: