OtakuBoards

Samurai 7

Box Hoy

this show = cool

[color=navy][size=1]This post = spam.

OB places an emphasis on post quality, and it would be appreciated if you put in a little more effort. At the very least, please try to write in complete sentences. Thanks in advance.

- Dagger[/size][/color]

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=DarkRed]Anyone who has seen this show did you like it?Ive seen it up to the 20th episode and it's good so far.My favorite Samurai would have to be Kikicho.
Does anyone know what happens in the end?[/COLOR]

----------------------

[COLOR=DarkRed]oh and who is your favorite samurai?[/COLOR]

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]Welcome to OtakuBoards [B]Up4anime[/B],

First of all let me direct you here: [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=37269]IMPORTANT: How to Post in Anime Lounge[/URL] as it will explain to you how to post and create threads here in the Anime Lounge. When creating a thread about a specific anime it is good idea to check here: [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208]Official Threads Directory[/URL] to see if a thread about the anime you wish to discuss already exists. You can also perform a forum search as well. If you find a thread, then please post in the current one no matter how old it is. That way people won?t be confused by multiple threads on the same anime. So I am going to merge your thread with the existing Samurai 7 thread.

Also I have merged your two posts together. If you find that you have forgotten something please do not double post. Just use the edit button located in the lower right hand corner of your post. Please take a look at the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL] and [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?]FAQ[/URL] for further information on OtakuBoards. If you have any questions, feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff.

~Aaryanna[/SIZE]
[/COLOR][/INDENT]

I just saw the 1st episode on IFC and all I can really say is wow... Animation looked really good. (almost too good) Even though there was very little action in it, I was still impressed with it nevertheless.

That green-haired guy... (don't know any names just yet) looks like that lady on Samurai Champloo [spoiler]in whatever ninja clan she said she was in who was also an undercover agent[/spoiler] or something like that.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]I bought the dvd and watched it finish last month.. It was a show to remember with all it's moves and grooves..[spoiler] However the ending was a freaking dissapointment !! Why the heck did they have to make 4 out of 7 samurai's die !! Whyyy!!!!!!![/COLOR] [/spoiler] [/FONT]

Just watched episodes 1-16 of Samurai 7 yesterday and it's pretty cool. To be honest it didn't inspire me as much as Gunslinger Girl or Full Metal Alchemist but I think it's still safe to say this is a quality & above average series. Can't wait to see the rest of this series, also since it's above average and managed to entertain me I have decided to collect it on DVD so volume one should be on its way.

I finished the fifth DVD a few days ago. The recap episode was unfortunate, but they followed up on that with some interesting developments related to Ukyo (who might be my new favorite character in the show; it's cool to hear Takehito Koyasu using a lighter, more flippant voice). I will be unhappy if [spoiler]he ends up being the main villain, and maybe it's stupid of me to suggest that, but I really can't tell whose side he's on, other than his own.[/spoiler] But in any case, I liked some of the things they did with him as a character in this set of episodes, and that kept the disc from being a total loss for me... at least compared to the one that preceded it.

~Dagger~

Only volume one is available here at the moment, I am totally wondering what the English dubbing will be like, lately I've been paranoid about this. Full Metal Panic was fine in English but Gunslinger Girl felt sort of weird, I think the budget for voice acting needs to be expanded for some series'. :catgirl:

I haven't seen anyone lambasting Samurai 7's English dub, but I ended up switching over to the Japanese track after a few volumes. The dub just didn't do very much for me; I thought it made the show seem blander. On the other hand, I was more than happy with Gunslinger Girl's dub, so your mileage might vary.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
This could possibly take over my #4 spot (Yu Yu Hakusho) of favorite animes. I don't have much of a problem with the dub thus far, but in the episode that just past, the voices didn't sync with the character.... I hope I'm saying that right.

In any case.... [spoiler]Is Kambei gay?[/spoiler] Not that I have problem with it, it's just the little exchange of words between him and Kuzo (sp?) can be misleading. Anyways, the fighting was nice.

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=#503F86]Well, I picked up the first volume of Samurai 7 a while ago and it's piqued my interest enough for me to want to buy the second volume, hehe. It's a pity that it's UK distributor MVM doesn't include any booklets, though- I just think they give you better value for money than a disc in an empty case. But that's somewhat beside the point ^_^;

I'm loving the widescreen format, for a start. Widescreen anime series = yum.

The characters are really nicely designed, too, and from what I can remember of Kurosawa's film they're all pretty similar to their originals. And it was a very good film, but I imagine I may find myself liking this a little more. I just think it'll be nicer to digest the story in this way. not that Seven Samurai was ever about [i]story[/i] as such anyway- it was the characters.

I'm not sure that the Nobuseri are doing very much for me at the moment. You barely see them in any of the first four episodes and I felt there was a dramatic lack of urgency and pacing in regards to Kirara and Co.'s quest. I kept feeling that something should have already happened to establish the need for them to leave in the first place. Even though they explained it, they seemed to spend more time prologueing about the war (that hasn't had much relevance so far anyway) than actually showing the villager's peril.

The English dub is alright, but there are times when it sounds a little bland. Although given the original Japanese dialogue, it seems quite hard to rectify. I'm in two minds as to whether I should continue in Japanese or English, heh ^_^;

So yeah, good stuff. I'm sitting on a 7 out of 10 until I get to see more.[/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
[COLOR=SandyBrown][SIZE=2][FONT=Century Gothic]I finished watching samurai 7 not too long ago and man!! was it amazing. It's just so smooth, eveything from the CGI to the way they move when they are in a fight, especially Kyuzo. That whole dark, brooding look really works.....not that it's an extremely original character type, but then again, if it works it works. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Anyway, just wanted to say that it really was awesome. :smoke:

I have seen up to volume five and i think i may have by accident missed an ep. or part of one and i was wandering in what circumstances [spoiler]did Gorobei die. Was it during the fight with the nobuseri on their ship after the fight for Kanna?[/spoiler] please help

• 1 year later...
[COLOR="Navy"]Don't you just hate it when people run their mouth's through a show you're trying to watch? lol

In any case, now that I've seen all the episodes (or most of the episodes), although, it feels like I've missed an episode. Because the way one episode went off, Katsu was getting ready to square off against someone he faced near the beginning of the series, but the episode I caught after that, he was already preparing for the attack of the Nobuseri (sp?). Anyways, I can finally give my thoughts about the series as a whole.

Get the negatives out of the way first.

It's not really an issue, but the artwork is inconsistent. While that don't effect the fighting, it is still noticeable. It's not nearly as inconsistent as, say, Naruto's animation, though. So that's good lol. While I'm on the subject of animation, there are times when they use an animation sequence that was already used in an earlier episode. As far as I can tell, they only did it in the fighting. Again, it's not much of an issue, I just wish they'd stop being so lazy. lol.

The fighting is good. It's not as dynamic and intense as Kenshin is, but it's good no less. [size=1]Bleach should take some notes.[/size]

Story - I'll skip this for now because I have to rewatch it as a whole.

Hmm.. I'll dissect the characters one by one (samurai's only lol), I guess.

Kambei - There's not much to say about the guy. Great fighter, and 'm glad they didn't make him as soft as other leading characters in other animes. He can play some great mind games because he had me thrown for a little bit. [spoiler]Telling another guy that he's in love can throw anybody off their game. And grabbing that other guy's sack....[/spoiler]

Kyuzo - [spoiler]Sucks that he died. By a gun no less >_>[/spoiler]. I would've liked to see that fight between him and Kambei go down at the end, but I guess there's gotta be some thing's that won't satisfy me lol. He is my favorite character.

Gorobei (sp?) - I like him. Knows when to be serious, and knows when to kick back and just chill. I know he's a thrill-seeker, but [spoiler]getting a rush out of stopping an arrow before it goes in your head[/spoiler] is a little too crazy. (What black person do you know will attempt that? We duck and run, we don't catch. XD) [spoiler]He should never dress up as a woman again.[/spoiler]

Heihachi - The rice man. It's kind of hard to not like him. How old was he suppose to be? He looks as young as Katsushiro. [spoiler]Again, he's another one that should never dress up as a woman. Rikichi look more feminine, but still, he shouldn't attempt to do it again either.[/spoiler] I was actually expecting him to be [spoiler]one of the samurai's that survived the war. Mainly because of the more skilled samurai's are the ones that ends up getting killed in the end.[/spoiler]

Kikuchiyo - A mechanical Kuwabara. (YYH) I couldn't stand him throughout the entire series, but my opinion changed in the last episode. [spoiler]He went out with a bang, literally.[/spoiler] And well, he earned my respect for it.

Shichiroji - The pretty boy with the weird hair. [spoiler]He was another one I expected to see kick the bucket[/spoiler] because I'm kind of use to sad endings in samurai animes lol. I don't really have much to say about the guy.

Katsushiro - For some reason I didn't like this guy at first. Perhaps it was the cowardly look he always had when fighting. I don't know, but I like him now. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Shichiroji square off in a fight. I like how his skills have developed during the course when he [spoiler]split from the group to go on his own.[/spoiler]

I was expecting some type of cheesy "romantic" type of ending for some reason. Mainly because of the build-up between Katsu and Kiara (sp?) But I got something completely different. I don't have anything to say about it though.

Overall, the anime is good, and if you're a fan of samurai's and action, you should give it a whirl. 4/5 (But it probably won't go pass #8 on my top favs)

Now I just gotta figure out what to watch next. I need more samurai/ninja animes. >_>[/COLOR]

• 1 year later...
[SIZE="1"]Another act of thread necromacy by yours truly but seeing as I've watched the series in preparation for watching the original movie for college this semester I think it's justified.

Having blitzed it over the last four days while suffering from the flu I have to admit I really enjoyed it overall, though not quite as much as I enjoyed Samurai Champloo. Everything about the series was pretty much top-notch the animation, the humour, the voices (I watched it with subs rather than dubs) and most importantly the action. But seriously it's a show about samurai fighting fifty foot flying robots (who used to be samurai) so if they screwed up the action they were pretty much done.

Perhaps the only thing I didn't like was the pacing of the show which could go from lightning fast to tortoise slow at a moments notice. I accept that there were going to be story problems out of the fact it's adapting a movie to over eight times it's original length so obviously there were going to be difficulties if things were to remain relatively similar plot-wise.

I can't say I really disliked any character with perhaps the exception of Katsushiro and even then it was just a mild distaste out of the fact his VA's other role in Bleach was bleeding into my perception a lot. I did sort of snicker at his horrified expression when [spoiler]he killed Kyuzo by accident with the gun[/spoiler].

On the other hand Kukichiyo was far and away my favourite character of the series and probably one of my favourite anime characters of all time. Sure he's loud, brash, stupid and not particularly skilled but he certainly comes off as the most human of all the samurai and his guts had to be respected. [spoiler]His death scene was certain in my opinion the most significant of all the samurai in the film, because let's face it none of the others could've cut the capital in half using a BFS with one arm.[/spoiler]

Oh yeah and Ukyo = win, no more to say about that because I'll get into a bit story tangeant but he made me laugh so much throughout the series for a variety of reasons.

Overall it was a great series with only a few flaws so it's getting an 8.5/10 for me, would highly recommend it to any samurai fans or even anime fans in general if they're looking for something slightly different.

Damn now I need to find a new show to watch...[/SIZE]