OtakuBoards

Memorable Episodes

Dagger

Certain episodes of some shows are so well done that you remember them vividly long after forgetting the details of the anime's basic plot. At times, episodes like these serve to redeem an uninspired or otherwise mediocre series. Even when the show in question is undeniably good, there will occasionally be an episode that ends up hijacking practically any discussion of the series. Episode 8 of Fruits Basket (which I blather on about below) is a pretty decent example of this.

So which episodes stick out in your mind most clearly, and why?

[B]Fruits Basket, episode 8:[/B] Until I saw this, I had liked Fruits Basket well enough, but didn't feel that it was anything special. Learning about Hatori's past really forced me to rethink my opinion of the show. The tragic story and beautiful, haunting visuals reduced me to tears, and only in episode 8 did I begin to take note of Fruits Basket's amazing dub.

~Dagger~

Guest water spirit
I do not know if you remember Sailor moon. If you do then you'll know what i'm talking about.The episode that i remember is the one called "Jupiter comes thundering in" at that time sailor jupiter was my favorite sailor scout. i like that episode because lita (sailor jupiter) is a out cast until serena(sailor moon) talks to her and makes friends with her even if every body is scared o her reputation. :wigout:

Most memorable episode for me has to be Robotech episode 27 "Force of Arms".

I have to give a little background on why this is the most memorable episode. The first time I saw Robotech was when I was in the 3rd grade and I was totally obsessed with the series. Robotech was the first time I had seen anime on tv here in the states and it was so far beyond the Hanna Barbera stuff I had been use to seeing. The series had a great storyline that no other animated show on television at the time could even hold a candle too.

Episode 27 was the final big battle between the Zentraedi and RDF. I remember feeling really nervous and worried about the characters and what would happen. [spoiler] The moment that is the most memorable for me was when Lisa was in the ruins of Alaska Base and she is talking to her father over the video monitor and he is killed infront of her. She is all alone until Rick comes to rescue her.[/spoiler] I remember crying when he came to get her. I was sad for Lisa having to go through all that, yet happy for her because of all the people to come to her rescue, it is the man she was in love with. It was such a rollercoaster of emotions.

No other anime has been more memorable in my life than that one episode. :)

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]Like most Taiora fans, the Christmas episode from Season 2 of Digimon will always haunt me. Friggin Toei. On a less belligerent note, however, an episode from Season 1 also stays with me. I believe the title was 'My Sisters Keeper'. And even though, looking back, it wasn't the best writing ever, it was powerful at the time and really made you feel for Tai...and feel sorry for Izzy. That one line Kari says, "I'm sorry I can't kick the ball right. You'll probably never want to play with me again," is just great. Really a heart stabber. If you care, that is. For other people its probably just a, "oh, that's nice of her," or, "damn that's cheesy writing." In fact, most of Digimon stays with me because its my first real experience with Anime (I shall deny to my dying day ever watching Pokemon). If I have more, I'll let you know. Not that you care, anyway.

-ULX[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thanks for your replies. ^_^

[b]RahXephon, episode 19:[/b] In my opinion, almost nothing epitomizes the heartbreaking poignancy of this series better than Asahina's [spoiler]ill-fated love for Ayato.[/spoiler] Episode 19 is perfectly paced and perfectly crafted. When I first finished it, I immediately went back to watch it again and again (rather than moving on to episode 20). Thogh I have some issues with how RahXephon's main love story was handled, I can't find anything to complain about in regards to episode 19, which features one of the most powerful [spoiler]death scenes[/spoiler] I've ever seen.

~Dagger~

My most memorable episode of anime would have to be

Hellsing: Episode 7(or 6). It has been a while since I have seen this but I remember that these Vampires and their minions attacked the Hellsing corporation. I'm not sure what the episode was called, but at the end it was The vampire in the Hellsing corporation was facing against the vampire dressed in white. I can't remember any more of the episodes details.

Guest Heezay
[SIZE=1]The season finale in Season 3 of Digimon, called "Such Sweet Sorrow"(Episode 51)
is the best episode of Digimon I have ever seen. It was amazing. Although it was a far from happy ending, the best part was seeing the Tamers triumph over D-Reaper and finally free Jeri from Mother D-Reaper. One of the best scenes was Gallantmon's Mode Change to Crimson Mode, it was really powerful seeing Takato get wings at last, by becoming an Angel. Another was when the Digimon finally left the Tamers for good. One by one they were all pulled into the Digital World through the Gateway and seeing the Tamers and Henry's father break down and sob like that was really moving.

But the very last scene of the episode (and of Digimon Tamers, arguably the best of all the seasons) was the greatest. Takato climbs into his Digimon's old hut and through a tunnel his partner dug. At the end of the tunnel, a Gateway lies. Takato stares into it, then smiles with simple happiness........[/SIZE]

[color=#503f86][b]Trigun, Episode 26: Under The Sky So Blue[/b]
Although the rest of the series is good, this is one episode I can never get tired of. And not just for the story- for the animation, too. The main thing that I like about the episode is the fact that [spoiler]the entire series has been building up to it. The first half's just a summary of what's gone on beforehand, but it's all relevant, so not entirely boring to have to sit through. You finally get to see what makes Vash and Knives so different, and you see that humans, the very things Knives call parasites, are what made Vash strong. By experiencing pain, he was made so much stronger than Knives, who had pretty much been sheltered from it. It's a great philosophy. And the fact that Vash kept his dream at the end of it is fantastic. I'm a great one for happy endings, and that's one of the best I've ever seen.[/spoiler]

[b]Digimon Tamers, Episode 54: Such Sweet Sorrow[/b]
Another last episode, this one. The writing in this series was so good it wasn't surprising that the end was also really decent. The [spoiler]bitter-sweet end was really well-balanced; I loved the Digimon characters and to see them leave their partners really was heart-wrenching. But Takato's narration at the end was lovely, too.[/spoiler]

Another episode of Tamers I like is [b]Jeri's Quest[/b], which I think is one of the funniest of the Digimon lot. The interaction between Takato, Jeri and Leomon in that episode is something I often think about, even when I'm not discussing anime.

[spoiler]"She's chasing him? Making eyes? Tamers don't do that..."[/spoiler] Great stuff.

EDIT: [b]Martian Successor Nadesico, Episode 18: Echoes of Self, Echoes of Water[/b]
Ruri Hoshino is one of my favourite characters in Nadesico- an episode entirely devoted to her history's never a bad thing in my mind, heh. This is an episode I love watching repeatedly-[spoiler] when she finds out what her 'parents' were, I always feel sorry for her.[/spoiler] It never brought me close to tears, but it's one that the pragmatics of always make me think.[/color]

[b]Cowboy Bebop: Session Five (Ballad of Fallen Angels)[/b] - Yes, I hate to pull out what is probably most people's favorite Cowboy Bebop episode, but I just love it so much lol. Of course, this is the episode where the series' actual story really begins to come into play and the [spoiler]cathedral sequence is among the coolest scenes I've seen in [i]anything[/i], not just anime.[/spoiler]

[b]Neon Genesis Evangelion: Episodes Twenty-Five and Twenty-Six[/b] - Most people seem to either hate them or consider these two episodes disappointing...I thought they were both poignant looks into the psyches of some of the more prominent characters of Evangelion. Sure, the episodes got a bit heavy-handed and melodramatic at times, but, overall, I thought they were very well conceived.

[color=darkviolet]Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon has been my anime mainstay since I first saw it in '94. So it goes without saying that my most memorable episodes will be from SailorMoon

SailorMoon Episode #1

[b]The Crybaby Usagi's beautiful transformation.[/b]

The reason this episode is so memorable is because it's the very first one in the series. We meet Tsukino Usagi and Luna and get the basic idea of what this show will be about.

SailorMoonS Episode # 106

[b]Unmei no Kizuna! Uranus no Tooi hi. (I think that translates to The future dream-the first one atleast)[/b]

Most memorable Line: "At that time I wanted to be the wind, I just wanted to escape my destiney." Ten'ou Haruka

In this episode Haruka tells how she and Michiru met. [spoiler]She also tells how she became a sailor senshi.[/spoiler] The whole episode is actually a background story about Haruka and Michiru and how they came to be who they are adn why they were so intent on saving the world their way.

SailorMoon SailorStars #196

[b]When the galaxy perishes! The Sailor Senshi's final battle[/b]

This episode is basically the beginning of the end for the series. It's probably one of the saddest episodes in the season because the inners all [spoiler]die in this episode and the next one[/spoiler] I really liked Rei/Mars' reply to Eternal Moon when she says: 'You're never alone.' It shows how deeply Rei cares for Usagi despite evidence to the contrary.

And finally:

SailorMoon Sailor Stars #200

[b]Usagi no ai! Ginga wo terasu. (Usagi's love! The moonlight illuminates the galaxy)[/b]

Memorable Quote: At the end of the closing credits Usagi goes: It's the end.

This episode was very pretty. It's also memorable because it's the last episode of SailorMoon. She defeated Galaxia and learned that all her enemies were connected. Her friends came back to life. And then she says good-bye to the Three Lights/ Sailor Starlights. It really hit me at the end that this episode was really the last one.[/color]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Well, no matter what I go through in my life (aside from dying, that is... : / ), I will always remember [Spoiler]that close-up of a beating heart during the fight between my favourite Neji (heart) and Hinata. u_u The "kchnk" sound effect at the end was simply O_o""-ifying, as well. Pure gold, there, that is. The sound of ripping flesh and spurting blood...ahh...

Another scene I loved was the "fight" between Itachi and Sasuke at the hotel. The anime didn't censor most of the wince-rendering violence, which was a relief. The part where Itachi snaps his younger brother's fore-arm was done particularly well; the screaming was extremely convincing.
Also, seeing the blood and the spittle trickling from Sasuke's mouth as Itachi continued to knee and kick him in the stomach was brilliantly done.
Now, this might just be because I absolutely cannot stand Sasuke, [/spoiler]but it really was a powerful scene that emphasized both of the character's personalities and mental states.
What a great episode that was...

Another scene from Naruto I have and will always love(d) is [spoiler]Sakura's allowing Zaku to kunai her several times before knocking him to the ground. The blood splattering onto his face was extremely cool.[/spoiler]
The message from the scene was pretty touching, as well. T_T (Squirrels forever, man.)

The last scene from Gunslinger Girl most certainly draws on a few heartstrings. [spoiler]The singing in German was simply beautiful in that it, for the first time, really, [i]really[/i] addressed how young and human the girls were.[/spoiler]

*sigh*

And, of course, you've gotta love the line [Spoiler]"I'll stop when I run out of fingers. One..."[/Spoiler]

Seeing Seguchi [Spoiler]push Taki infront of a car was pretty neat, too.[/Spoiler] : D[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Daermon_Nashabe]My most memorable episode of anime would have to be

Hellsing: Episode 7(or 6). It has been a while since I have seen this but I remember that these Vampires and their minions attacked the Hellsing corporation. I'm not sure what the episode was called, but at the end it was The vampire in the Hellsing corporation was facing against the vampire dressed in white. I can't remember any more of the episodes details.[/QUOTE]

Daermon_Nashabe, I agree with you. It was Episode 6 (Dead Zone). This was probably one of the highlights of the series, and It's probably the most memorable one. [spoiler]It was way cool, when Walter uses those strings of his, to dice up those zombies. And the fight at the end with Alucard and that other vampire (can't remember his name) was just awesome.[/spoiler]

The final episode of Initial D Second Stage was pretty moving, the series ends without filling in all the loose "ends" (I guess Initial D isn't really done now that 4th stage is being released) but rather than making the series seem incomplete your just left with the feeling of what's going to happen to so and so? And will he ever meet her again? etc. etc. (No spoilers for those of you still watching the series ^_^).

Another good final episode(s) came in the form of Gundam SEED. As is the case in all gundam series, throughout the course of the series certain characters that you come to love end up dieing *boo hoo*... But lets just say in Gundam SEED some characters end up dieing in a more heroic and memorable way than others (once again I won't name anyone or wrap the names in spoiler tabs for those of you who are already pissed because of what I stated above :rolleyes:).

As for what is probably the most memorable episode of any anime I have seen it would have to have been the second part/episode of the Rurouni Kenshin Seisouhen OVA [spoiler]what can be more memorable than the tragic death of the legendary manslayer Himura Kenshin in the arms of his wife Karou?[/spoiler]. Hell Tsukiohen had a pretty memorable ending too ([spoiler]with Tomoe dieing and all :P[/spoiler].

Hmmm... let's see... Last thing i'll name for today is episode 25 of Full Metal Alchemist. I was blown away with what happened, I definatly never saw what happend coming and even now find what occurred to be pretty surprising [spoiler]Killing off Hughes like that?!?!? Say it isn't so! Hughes was one of the characters who atleast I felt as a viewer I had the most attachment to, his death also came as a shock because he was portrayed as a fun loving guy who just loved his daughter and wife. What a way to go too at the hands of a homunculus...[/spoiler].

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I really liked Episode 25 of Love Hina. It was the Motoko episode where her sister visits Hinata Inn. I found it to be extremely amusing. Also I think Motoko is just awesome, and that's why I appreciated an episode dedicated to her. (The corresponding manga volume is pretty good too.)

I liked the first episode of Trigun. The way they introduced Vash (with the flashback and such) was hilarious. One of the funniest character introductions I've seen.

On, and can anyone tell me what episode it was that Vash was all like "Well, you wanted me to come after you? Well you got it. I'm gonna kick your ***... dammit it sounded so cool in my head, but I don't even know where to start looking..." or something like that. It was great. I remember it was towards the end, but I don't know what episode. Maybe 25.

The whole Trigun series was memorable for me as it had the best level of comedy and seriousness about it.

Neon Genesis episode 9 where they have the sychronisation attack. i was laughing so hard that my sides felt like they were splitting in two.

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Seeing Seguchi [Spoiler]push Taki infront of a car was pretty neat, too.[/Spoiler] : D[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

Yes! That's such a satisfying scene. ^_^

[b]Maria-sama ga Miteru, episode 11:[/b] Watching this was what truly made me into a Marimite fan. Sei is easily my favorite character (though all of the girls are lovely :p), and it really touched me to discover that she hadn't always been so cheerful and easygoing. Her story could have become overly melodramatic, but instead was presented in such a way that I had absolutely no trouble relating to her emotions. Episode 11 also showcases the single best "title moment" I've ever seen. When Shiori [spoiler]pushed Sei away, telling her that "Maria-sama is watching,"[/spoiler] I was just stunned. It's an immensely sad and beautiful moment. Generally speaking, this episode is the main reason that I don't think any fan of shoujo-ai can afford to miss out on Marimite.

~Dagger~

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']On, and can anyone tell me what episode it was that Vash was all like "Well, you wanted me to come after you? Well you got it. I'm gonna kick your ***... dammit it sounded so cool in my head, but I don't even know where to start looking..." or something like that. It was great. I remember it was towards the end, but I don't know what episode. Maybe 25.[/quote][color=#503f86]That was episode 16: Fifth Moon. It's the same one where [spoiler]he destroys the city of Augusta and blasts a hole in the planet's fifth moon.[/spoiler]

I do like that line. The short, really odd man who talks to the chair opens the saloon door to be greeted by Vash's gun. Vash then says, in a zombie-like state: "Legato, I am the one who is hunting you this time. I will find you, whatever it takes... Yeah, right! It sounds real cool in my head, but in reality I haven't a clue as to how I'm going to find him..."

And so on, heh.[/color]

[color=blue]Trigun definetely has some memorable episodes, although it could be just because Vash is such a memorable character! I have to say though, that my favorite episode would have to be Paradise. [spoiler]Wolfwood dying in the church, reflecting on his life, it's just heartwrenching. Especially when you see Milly crying at the end.[/spoiler] Oh and it was almost the same with the very last episode of Cowboy Bebop. When [spoiler]Spike finally defeats Vicious and walks down the stairs as he's dying[/spoiler], ah I started crying so hard! "Bang!" Heh, that part was awesome. Not to mention how incredible the choreography and music are in that episode. The episode where [spoiler]Ed leaves[/spoiler] was memorable too. Aw who am I kidding, the whole series is memorable! Ack, I better stop now before I keep rambling on and on.... [/color]:babble:

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added [spoiler] tags. These are great series, make sure you don't spoil the surprise for people who've not yet seen them ^_~ -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[font=Arial][size=2][color=darkred][u]Cowboy Bebop Episode no. 20: "Pierrot Le Fou"-[/u][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=darkred][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][color=darkred]This episode is my favourite for a couple of reasons. Firstly the powers of Mad Pierrot are fascinating. It's the most sci fi of all the episodes (a fact that is appealing to me) and secondly the transformation of Pierrot and degredation and torture he had to suffer.[/color][/size][/font]

I really don't remember the episode numbers but I got a few from Ranma 1/2.

1. Ranma and Juliet - And as in every Romeo and Juliet play, THERE'S A KISS.
It was too bad that Akane had to [spoiler]use duct tape on Ranma's mouth.[/spoiler]

2. Spring of Drowned Frog - Some guy fell in a spring of a drowned frog, he slpashed Akane with some of it, Ranma cried, but the water was really [spoiler]tap water[/spoiler], blah blah blah.

3. Love Mushroom - Ranma and Akane ate a love mushroom. Their love for each other was really touching. But it really sucked when [spoiler]Nabiki ruined it all.[/spoiler]

[size=1]I think that Cowboy Bebop has a [i]ton[/i] of memorable episodes - nobody can deny that. Especially in the last couple DVDs, where everything starts coming together (or falling apart). That's what makes Cowboy Bebop a favorite to so many people. There's something for everybody.

One of my most memorable episodes out of Cowboy Bebop is [b]Episode 18: Speak Like A Child[/b]. This is the one where Faye [spoiler]gets a mysterious package but refuses to pay for it. So Jet pays for it instead and then he and Spike end up searching all over Earth for the equipment needed to watch the video tape.[/spoiler] The entire episode is incredibly funny, and then in the last few minutes they're finally able to watch the tape and the mood changes entirely. [spoiler]The tape reveals images from Faye's past.[/spoiler]

There was something about the episode that was sort of sad, and yet still touching, and I think seeing Faye [spoiler]as a little girl[/spoiler] really made you feel closer to her. Since she's one of my favorite characters in CB, it's an episode that definitely sticks out in my mind. ^_^;[/size]

[color=teal]The first part of the Trust & Betrayal Samurai X series really kicked. There was something about the music combined with Hiko Seijiro's heroic stature that got me into it, I watched it so many times, heh.

Episode 1 emphasises mainly on [spoiler]Kenshin's past, and he how was led into a bloody life full of regret.[/spoilers] Even if just an anime, it really hit me how Kenshin wanted to [spoiler]leave the mountain and his training so desperately[/spoiler] even though his master strongly objected because [spoiler]he wanted to save him the pain that he suffered for making the same mistake.[/spoiler]

Other than that, I LOVE the end scene of the Betrayal part during the credits. Again, the music blending in with the fights and Kenshin's deep mediations is just too much... I'll never get tired of that.[/color]

Oh! I have 3 main favorites!

I remember .hack//SIGN Episode 26: Return, The last episode they aired on CN. I was watching the very end, and as not to spoil anything, I was crying a bit. It was Midnight, my favorite time, and I had been sneaking on the TV in order to watch the whole season. Well, stepping out for a drink, I look up through the skylight in our hall, and in the very center is the big, beautiful, full moon. It was so breath taking! Like a painting!

...and of course there is always Witch Hunter Robin: Smells like a wandering Spirit. I had just gotten back from the last showing of Hildago in my town and it was again the magical time of midnight- as soon as I got home I turned on the TV and made my mother and brother watch it with me. =^n.n^= It was their first episode...

I have no idea why that stands out to me... =^._.^= *shrugs*

Ja Ne!

Hmm... OOO! Cowboy Bebop: The Real Folk Blues! Spike DIED in that episode and I was crying like a maniac. :bawl: Julia died too and I don't really understand what was wrong with Faye- other than she didn't want Spike to leave. I don't know what happened to her or Jet. I think Ed found her home. Oh, well! It was still a good episode.. One that I will NEVER forget.