OtakuBoards

Which Manga title it better? Tokyopop or Shonen Jump?

ShadowHimura13

I read both Shonen Jump and Tokyopop manga. And both of them are good. Shonen Jump has multiple manga stories and Tokyopop has the whole volume series. Both of them are the best to me but what Shonen Jump doesn't have is the whole volume and you have to keep buying every month but Tokyopop you can buy the first volume of what ever manga and you want and you can don't have to wait a month or so you can get anytime. But i just want to know which Manga Title is better.

[size=1]SJ(Shonen Jump) comes from Viz, another company that owns manga titles. Tokyopop isn't a manga title though. But what you're saying to us is that we should compare SJ, a manga title, or Tokyopop, a company with many manga titles. That kinnda seems unfair ^_^;;; I guess the best answer would be Tokyopop though.

But a better thing would be to compare Viz, the company that puts out SJ, and owns several manga titles like Shaman King, DBZ, Evangilion, and Yu-Gi-Oh, to Tokyopop, who like I said is a company and owns titles such as Cardcaptor Sakura, Gundam Wing(I thing both Viz and Tokyopop own more), and Rangnarok. Now the titles I mention aren't all the titles they own. So, I wouldn't really have an answer to that because I like both companies, and buy from both.[/size]

[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Shonen Jump:
+ you get more than one manga
- you have to get evry issue

Tokyo Pop:
+ you get the whole volume
- only get one manga

Id say the odds are pretty much even. But since im not willing to spend $10 everytime i ant a manga (since im broke alot) I buy Shonen Jump to get "more for my money". Well thats my thinking. sono ja uchi ni![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Flying monkey
Shonen jump is alot better because it keeps you going with more than just one title and a years worth of issues for only like thirty bucks. thats alot of manga!

[SIZE=1][color=deeppink]I guess the real question here is "Is it better to get several mangas in a magazine, or buy your own in volumes?" I really prefer buying in volumes, because with a magazine, not only can you not choose which manga you're getting, you can't choose which volume, either. I also tend to shy away from reading several mangas at a time, because I get plotlines easily confused.

As far as Viz versus Tokyopop, I guess I buy more from Tokyopop, but I don't think there's much of a difference, quality wise.

-Karma[/color][/SIZE]

[color=darkblue]Indeed, Karma.

Personally, I rather like getting a lot of manga in one magazine, even if you can't choose which ones are depicted. If you're only buying it for one particular series, in that way, you may find a series that you enjoy just as much.

However, I do buy the separate mangas themselves from Viz/SJ, but only because I like having the entire series of a manga that I may have missed parts to (as is the case here, since I only just started buying SJ regularly, and I missed a lot of YYH.)

In terms of full volume Shonen Jump versus TokyoPop, SJ would win, but only by a slim margin. They're both pretty much on the same level, but Tokyopop sometimes cuts off the text (either by putting off to the edge of the page, or cramming it into the spine) making it frustrating sometimes. That's the only reason.

Tokyopop would definately win in terms of selection, but that's really not fair, since SJ is relatively new and only has a few titles out.[/color]

Let's say that they each have their pros and cons...

Shonen Jump-
PROs: Since SJ has its magazine, as well as it's graphic novels, you can either buy individual manga titles or the magazine with multiple titles. So, that gives you more freedom in how you buy.
Also, the SJ graphic novels are two dollars cheaper (at least here they are). $8 a graphic novel! ^_^
Also, like someone else mentioned, it's like $30 for a year's subscription... that's about 300 pages in each mag, and 12 a year, that's 3600 pages of manga for $30!!
CONs: If you buy the magazine, you can't chose which manga are in there, and you may not like them, and not read them, and waste some money -_-"
This happens to me: You read the manga in the magazine, and still want to buy the novel to have in your possession, so you spend the money, but don't get to read anything new...

TokyoPop-
PROs: TokyoPop has a very wide variety of manga, which is great for people like me who like to experience new manga frequently ^_^
TokyoPop often keeps more of the original Japanese content, such as sound effects and Japanese references... which is nice to see the Japanese culture and you can learn a little too ^_^
CONs: It's at a higher price per novel than SJ... at $10 a volume... Hey, those extra $2 are important! LOL

All in all... I think both Shonen Jump and TokyoPop are awesome, especially for bringing us the world of manga :)

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Book Antiqua].....That is a tough choice, considering.... I mean, I love all the Tokyo Pop stuff, yet I still make it a point to buy SJ and the majority of it's GNs, and the GNs are cheaper than TP's, but it is better to subscribe to SJ and buy the GNs from TP, I think, considering... But I don't personnaly like DBZ (I've already seen all the episodes) or One Piece (Don't like pirates...) or a few of the others... I mean, I love Naruto and Hikaru No Go and alotta the others, but it would be really great to be able to choose what you got... In TP you can, so that's good... Maybe stick to just GNs? Nah... 30 measly bucks fora year of manga... But I like more of the TP tiles, if that matters... So if they were the same price, and only in GMs, I'd probably choose TP, but they're not, so I wouldn't. Two bucks is alott, I agree ^^ Dunno, equal, I guess.[/FONT][/COLOR]

both have there perks tokyopop has a bigger selection of titles But shonen jump(viz) has more well known anime titles and is alittle cheaper ,the thing about viz is that haven't been around in america as long as tokyopop

me myself I think it's a tie right now

[color=darkblue]This seems to be becoming a trend around here....

I will say this one time. I ask that all members try to put a little more thought and effort into their posts. Threads here in Manga Workshop quickly become spammy when members don't go into reasons why they like this or don't like that, or what-have-you.

Try going more into what appeals to you about either of the two companies. I'm not saying that you have to make some gargantuan post or something, but depth never hurt anyone.[/color]

To me tokyopop is better. They have a better selction of manga titles. I'm not saying Shonen Jump is bad I enjoy reading their titles, but their are mostly actiion to me. I hate DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece. I love Naruto and Hikaru No Go and even though I've seen most of the Naruto ep. I still enjoy reading it. Hickaru No Go is funny and cute at the same time. But back to why I like tokyopop better, first they have many of my favorite manga titles under their name. Also I like the fact that they put a list of their titles in the front or back of the books. And orgainzed in sections, that makes it easier for you to find the type of mangas you like.

Guest KOS MOS
Tokyopop over prices for the same quality of manga shounen jump has. I use to buy a LOT of tokyopop untill i found out about inuyasha (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA). I still buy some tokyopop but I get pritty broke if all i buy is tokyopop. X_X

I'm not willing to trade Tokyopop's quality for Viz's prices- what you pay for is literally what you get. I've found Viz (the publisher of Shounen Jump, Animerica, etc.) to do quite a lot of sloppy work-- bad flopping, shoddy translation and a whole host of other irksome quirks-- for the sake of being (on average) two dollars cheaper, and while they do sometimes manage to wrangle a few truly stellar series (X/1999, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Naruto), the diversity of Tokyopop's selection is far greater and, for the most part, processed with better care for better quality.