OtakuBoards

Goth.

Oceanborn

[QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][/color][/size][/font]
[COLOR=#503F86] I was going to say that, damn you! ^_~

Anyway, I buy a lot of things which you'd associate with Goths: Dragon posters, New Rock boots, black clothes, things with Tribal/Gothic designs on them, jewelry... and I tend to like rock music over other types of popular stuff (most of my collection is comprised of film soundtracks). I even have spiked hair. If that was how I described myself, people would instantly think I'm a 'Goth'. But I'm not, because I don't consider myself to be one.

I've always said that trying to generalise groups of people is a stupid thing to do. Yeah, you can do it by what clothes people wear, but the values and other various aspects of those people mean that not every one of them is the same thing, so trying to define what a 'True Goth' is is pointless. You'd have Satanic 'goths', Wiccan 'goths' and 'goths' that really don't give a damn about the music or religion and just like the clothes. Does that mean that if you aren't a Wiccan or don't like heavy rock then you aren't a Goth?

I think people should be allowed to be whatever they want to consider themselves to be and not worry about how other people label them.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I agree completely.

I've dyed my hair blue/black, and I like rock music, and I'm a Christian. I don't wear all black, but I seem to wear it alot. I'm not goth, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. I'm me, and I define myself as the short Anime obsessed girl who loves drawing. I dyed my hair black because I liked the color, and its something diffrent. ^_^

Labels are annoying. Its simply an easy way to define how a person is before you get to know them. People often don't [i]want[/i] to know them because of how the person dresses. I try to be open with everyone.

I don't believe there is such thing as a 'true' Goth. Everyone is diffrent.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=DeathBug][color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]

Well, I think that should clear everything up. Goth with a capital G refers to a race of Germanic peoples, BTW.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I believe they were an ancient Germanic tribe which invaded Rome aliong with the Guals, but I'm not sure when.

Nowadays though, I think they're a populace of teenagers who use SPF 75 sunblock, listen to death metal and wear kabuki make up. Sometimes the older ones decide to go a bit crazy and get into bondage and S&M. Those are teh ones you should stay away from.

I don't think it involves worshiping the devil because not even Satanism involves worshipping the devil.

Also I think that you should stop sacrificing guniea pigs. You're just wasting your money on guniea pigs. Squirells are much cheaper since you just have to set a trap and there are pleanty of them running around. So save a guniea pig and sacrifice a quirell instead.[/color]

I'm actually under the impression that most people who are into bondage and S&M lead very normal lives. It's the hidden freak in them.

As far as Goths go though, I think it's dead, just like Punk. I listen to both types of music, but trying to embody the stereotype in my oppinion is ridiculous. The only person who was ever a true goth was that first guy, who ever came after him was just a copy cat.

[quote name='anatema']I'm actually under the impression that most people who are into bondage and S&M lead very normal lives. It's the hidden freak in them. [/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I wouldn't know since I'm really not into either one. But there were some people I knew who just liked to make people look at them so they walked around with the dog collar and crap like that. I think it's a good thing I got away from those people.[/color]

[quote name='anatema']As far as Goths go though, I think it's dead, just like Punk. I listen to both types of music, but trying to embody the stereotype in my oppinion is ridiculous. The only person who was ever a true goth was that first guy, who ever came after him was just a copy cat.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Punk's not dead, it's just tied up in my basement. Rock however is dead, so long live paper and scissors!

I don't really have a catergory to regulate myself to. I dress like a prep one day (well, pre pregnancy) and then the next day it's combat boots plaid skirt and who knows. And I mostly listen to country music so there goes my uber punkness. But... I did take a test online once that said I was punk (of course this same test said my husband was a poser :laugh:

But I do agree that the first person to be Goth was goth the rest just copied the look and ended up in Glamour's Do and Don't magazine special as the Don'ts. I think the new shopping expericance should be a combibnation of thrift stores and wherever you can afford to shop. Who's with me?[/color]

gothic doesn't mean not believing in satan or god it means how you perceive life...as you can tell no one has a specific answer to what being a goth is about. it depends on the person...everyone is different. over time everything has changed. no one really undestands what being a true goth means. each persons have their own ideas even if you ask a goth what being a goth means they dont give you a specific answer. If someone says they know what it truly means to be a goth...those people are ******* liars. no humans knows the true anwer to that question. i admit even i dont know what it means but in the end no one knows what it truly means to be a goth.

[color=hotpink][size=1]I am also for saving the guinea pigs because my poor Valentine is the only pet I have that is FLUFFY! And she's so cute! So yeah!

Anywho, I'd just like to tell you all that my Mormon boyfriend owns 30+ black shirts, listens to heavy metal music, and is EXTRA sexy in black eyeliner.

I would NEVER define him as a "goth." That has evolved into a term that means "middle to high school children who think that being different is acting angry and depressed and listening to Good Charlotte and Evanesence."

Just to let you all know, Hot Topic is owned by The Gap. THAT'S RIGHT, THE PREPS OWN YOUR SOULS! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!![/color][/size]

Guest lavalamp
[quote name='morbid angel666']i would just like to say that all "trends" e.t.c. have nothing to do with it, when it boils down to it, it does'nt matter what clothes you wear it's all about THE MUSIC AND STATE OF MIND, plus you forgot about vampiric goth's[/quote]

I was on a safari when my friend was bitten by a poisonous snake. I had to suck the blood out so he wouldn't die.

...maybe I'm related to Dracula.

[quote name='Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]Just to let you all know, Hot Topic is owned by The Gap. THAT'S RIGHT, THE PREPS OWN YOUR SOULS! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!![/color'][/size][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]There is no way the Gap owns my soul...unless they also own State Line Tack and Sephora because I've sold parts of my soul to them in exchange for cosmetics and riding attire respectfully.

Then again I do shop at Old Navy a bit and the Gap [i]does[/i] own Old Navy, but I don't shop there nearly enough as Sephora. I do find that kind of funny though. *Runs off to worship at her cosmetic and body treatment shrine to Sephora*[/color]

Guest narakusgirl367
[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]I believe they were an ancient Germanic tribe which invaded Rome aliong with the Guals, but I'm not sure when.

Nowadays though, I think they're a populace of teenagers who use SPF 75 sunblock, listen to death metal and wear kabuki make up. Sometimes the older ones decide to go a bit crazy and get into bondage and S&M. Those are teh ones you should stay away from.

I don't think it involves worshiping the devil because not even Satanism involves worshipping the devil.

Also I think that you should stop sacrificing guniea pigs. You're just wasting your money on guniea pigs. Squirells are much cheaper since you just have to set a trap and there are pleanty of them running around. So save a guniea pig and sacrifice a quirell instead.[/color][/QUOTE]

i hate you so much :flaming: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: die

Yes! Okies, I just fee like I sould say something...

At my school people call me goth because I like Invader Zim, I wear black, and like metal, punk, rock and like the dark. Hey, I have an eye condition, so too much bright light drives me crazy... and, Invader Zim just rules okay? I wear black because it looks good on me, and because I can't stand pastels and light colors. I wear dark blue and dark green alot too. And yes, I shop at Hot Topic, why? Because I love the t-shirts and the pants are comfy. I don't care if it's owned by Gap, if it's comfy, and won't hurt my eyes, and fits me... I'm probaly buying it, owning it or saving up to buy it. Oh, and before I forget, yes I do use strong sunblock, why? Because I have pale skin and burn, not tan, and I have scars from sunburn, it was nasty... my skin was all blistery and pink... and it felt like it was melting. Oh, and also, yes, I wear lots of dark make-up, why? Because I look dead and it scares the crap out of my peers. XP Joking, I do wear dark make-up, but, I don't go overboard, it makes me look slightly older, which is good seeing as I'm 13 and look like I'm a tall 11-year-old...

And that concludes my ramblings for today! Huzzah!

naraskusgirl367, you're the reason why I laugh in the face of "goth." It's just ridiculous, you dress in black and tell people to die and that automatically makes you some mystrious entity in tune with the workings of the netherworld. The truth is that you tried to blend in with one crowd, it didn't work out, so you switched sides. You like blood, ooo, I'm scared. In the eternal words of South Park's Butters, "I'd rather be a crying little p***y than a faggy goth kid.

Seriously, get a hobby, gothic, punk, prep and thug children alike.

[quote name='anatema']Seriously, get a hobby, gothic, punk, prep and thug children alike.[/quote]

[color=deeppink][size=1]Amen. -_-

What I don't get is, if these people 'hate the light', how do they manage to walk into a shopping centre and walk past all the pastel-coloured clothes to get OVER to Hot Topic? That just confuzzles me. Not to mention, you look at bright light from going online. Just on OB there's white as the background, so how come nobody's going 'OMFGZ!11MYEYES'?

And people walking around saying 'oOo look at mee, I'm a demon' makes just as much sense to me as someone walking around going 'oOo look at mee, I'm Pikachu'. Only, people who go around saying they're a pokemon don't complain about light, 'preps', or 'human beings'. Not to mention, they don't sit around at home trying to write angsty poems about how much their life sucks, when their parents can actually afford to buy them clothes from Hot Topic (what- $22 being the cheapest shirts and having little pins that say 'I'm Weird' for $5?).

Dunno. Being depressed + Shopping... do those usually go together? o_O[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Juuthena][color=deeppink][size=1]
Dunno. Being depressed + Shopping... do those usually go together? o_O[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]Hey, it's always worked for me. A few days ago I was feeling crappy so I went to Lord and Taylor and bought a purse, then I went to Hot Topic and bought a t-shirt that has a large circle with the word 'me' in it and a smaller circle with the word 'the world' in it. Then nderneath was the saying, New Scientific evidence proves that the world does indeed revolve around me. Now tell me, how can you stay depressed when you have a t-shirt that proves that the world revolves around you? Never mind thatI have to wear it with materinity pants.

As for NArku's girl, you're not a Goth, you're a kid with too much time on her hands. Anatema's right, you do need a hobby. But I do share your love of blood. The red cross pays $20 bucks when you donate it, and it helps to keep me alive. Heck, after this pregnancy is done and everything gets back to normal I'm going to look into how to do Blood Moon magick, which is where you try to get your menstral cycle to coincide with the moon's cycle and then do magick. I think it's supposed to help you think of your cycle as less of a curse and more of a gift. Kind of like embracing the mother cycle of the wheel. (if I got that wrong let me know)[/color]

Tss. Now that I returned here, this topic is pretty larger than I considered it to become when I was postin' it.
Anyway, I never told that I consider myself as a true Goth.^^
The topic I wrote was about the way I understand goth'ness.
Oh well... Yes, I dont think there is a way to define the word "goth".
I a pretty much same story with punks at another forum.
Historically, punks were funny guys, who just absolutely didn't care for this world (aha, that's where Underground starts). That's all, the whole words for the punk movements were "Hell, just f**k up with that crazy planet - what's so nice about it?"
Now, back there (Did I mention I'm re-telling an another forum conv?) the usual answer to the definition of the world "punk" was "Same as a skinhead, they wear grinder boots, get themself drunk and then go out beating everyone who isn't plain white. (skin color @_@) If they don't find anyone like that, they just beat the next poor guy who had the unluck to be in their near vicinity." That's kinda the summary.

I wonder how, I wonder why - Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky - And everything I see is Just a yellow lemon tree... And I wonder. (c) by Fools Garden.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well.. alot of people have different opinions....correct?Well.. I want to voice mine...

"goths" are not devil worshippers....
some may not believe in god but they do believe in a higher power...
goths arent always depressed or walk around like they're dead...
just because they are a little different, doesn't mean they are idiots...
also... if gap owns anyone's soul ,may they all have a quick painless death! lol jk :D
I know alot of you probably won't agree with me, but I've benn "gothic" since I was 7... I don't believe in god or the devil.. but I do believe in a god and a goddess... I may wear black, but I do smile and I do laugh! :laugh: <- see? lol. It's not uncommon! So whoever did write that is very stupid... If I may say so myself...

Well... thanks for listening to me go on and on....
*-. Savannah .-* [/COLOR] [/SIZE]

I am not goth, punk, gangster, thug, or anything.

I am just a regular Native American/Native American 15 year old dude and I am a noncomformist how can you call yourself a non-comformist you dress like everyone else and your especially a conformist your dressing like something because you wanna be cool or fit in.

I don't need to fit in I hang out with people like me people who are cool by their own terms, non comformists don't dress or act or listen to the same kind of music like everyone else at our school, we all dress diffrent no one really dresses alike and we don't wear what everyone else is wearing no White, Black, Pink ( so gay) Tee's for me.

I go to a 95% black school so me and my friends are like some of the few people there who listen to Rock most peopple just listen to Rap, R&B, Reggae, and some Pop at our school. We listen to Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Gothic Rock, Nu Metal, Rap Metal,Hip Hop, Techno, and Punk Rock.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]I think people are too stereotypical. You should just be yourself, Goth to me, just means the style of clothing you wear. Black. I don't think you have to try and fit the stereotype. I know this was popular when I was a freshman back in the day, let me give advice to all those "Im goth therefore Im cool" tweens out there, it doesnt last. Its most likely a phase some people go through at one point. But if thats your style of fashion, that is a diff matter. Not all Goths whorship Satan either...thats just simply a Satanist. Now THOSE people are scary :eek: [/SIZE][/FONT]

Guest Mr.Agnostik
Well, personally my whole view on the 'goth' issue is this: it's a trend. Most 'goths' claim to hate society, or not care, etc. etc. yet it has become nothing but a trend. It's like when N*Sync first came out. BOOM. Wow, they rocked, yadda yadda. Not trying to say [i]everyone[/i] liked them, but just speaking in general.

Personally, most think of me as goth because I tend to wear lots of black, have my hair dyed black, and have 'gothic' piercings. That isn't the case. Truly, I prefer all kinds of music over 'gothic music', yet tend to lean towards urban music...underground hip-hop, battles, and some commercial as examples.

Basically it's just another societal grouping like 'preps' and 'jocks' are. Now this is only my opinion mind you, and if I offended you...well I offended you. Freedom of speech and all that. ^.^ Besides...America wouldn't be America if we didn't have those select few of people who just...said what they wanted when they wanted. Hell, that's how this country was formed. But I'm going off-subject..forgive me.

Anyways, that's my view on the whole 'goth' thing.

-Rich-

[color=#707875]The ironic thing is that kids who go out and attempt to be "different" are themselves feeding into a conformist stereotype. I mean, being a "goth" or whatever is far more conformist and easily-identifiable than someone who is, for lack of a better term, "normal" (and I really hesitate to use that term, but I can't think of a more suitable word at the moment).

I mean, really, when you package yourself in a particular way -- especially if you follow all the hallmarks of a certain style -- you are, in essence, sending a very distinct message to everyone about yourself. Teenagers always want to develop their own identity, which is true, but at the same time, I think that people are making a mistake if they think that being a goth or a punk or whatever is somehow rebellious or different. The truth is, all of these things have become a common and easily identifiable aesthetic style, which only serves to put you in a tight little box.

If you think about it, dressing "normally" (ie: not following a very particular and obvious stereotype) is far more ambiguous. And perhaps at the same time, it adds a level of mystery to you, because it becomes more difficult for others to identify you at a glance.

The truth is, teenagers are mostly conformists. And most teenagers [i]want[/i] to be conformists. That is why teenagers follow various trends (fashion, music, etc). Kids just want to fit in. And that's fine -- it's natural, perhaps -- but I think that this is the perspective to use when looking at stuff like this.

[/color]

Honestly...most real goths aren't always rude,upset...And I don't think they worship the devil..or wicca. People are getting goth confused with annoying pop punks, and sorry to say this..but people that say they're goth on this board aren't goth because..I don't believe a real goth would be on this otakuboard O.o' sad reality. And I don't think "Satan" really cares if you sacrifice guenia pigs for him,I mean come on, almost anyone/anything could kill guenia pigs.Sacrificing doesn't work because you can't own someone else's soul, it only gets you a 1 way ticket to hell.

[font=garamond][color=navy]I'm going to build a little bit on what James is saying...

First off, the association with goths and 'nonconformity' just plain doesn't work. Period. I mean, come on, only the first goths were really nonconformist because the stereotype didn't exist back then. In American culture (and pretty much anywhere else as well) we now have a generalization for the word 'goth.' The goth kids have become conformists just by trying too hard NOT to be conformists (if that makes any sense :P). They're just like the geeks, the thugs, the preps...etc and so forth. Not in dress or in attitude, but all of these groups now have a category in society. If you associate being goth with nonconformity, this is just the opposite than what you were trying to achieve.

That's not to say that all goths are trying to be nonconformists, of course. I don't plan on making any stereotypical comments about gothic people myself, because honestly I think there's a lot of gray area there. Shopping at Hot Topic or wearing black doesn't make you gothic, at least not in my opinion (well honestly speaking, I hope the Hot Topic thing doesn't do it for any of you. I mean, come on, are we going to stereotype people just because of a store they decide to shop in, regardless of where else they happen to shop???). So then what IS the definition of gothic when it comes to issues of society? Well, amazingly enough, [b]there isn't one.[/b] Or rather, we each come up with our own definition individually. It's just like 'what makes certain people thugs, preps or geeks?' -- it isn't hard to see where people's opinions might differ.

Saying that goths worship Satan and are always depressed is a stereotype, and one I despise quite a bit. I know a couple of kids who dress 'gothic' by other people's opinions and they're perfectly nice and content people. These are merely tags that have been added on by people who make other goths look bad, or by societies that don't accept differences in culture. It's similar to the stereotype that all Muslim people were terrorist (this was immediately post-9/11, and I hope this stereotype has all but died out) just because a few extremists decided to join a terrorist organization and kill hundreds of people.

Do some teens join groups because they think it will give them a sense of identity? Yeah, I can see that, but I think James has pretty much covered that issue and thus I will say no more on the subject.

Just my two cents :D[/font][/color]