OtakuBoards

At the end of the world, where will you be?

Doukeshi

Okay, I was watching the new series of Battlestar Galactica last night, the first few episodes right. For some reason just sitting there watching all these people having their homes destroyed and their planet wiped out, end of the world etc...I was suddenly struck by how much humanity really pissed me off.

Now I know that isn't a terribly original thing to say, humanity pisses a lot of people off, however, I was was thinking that when the end of the world comes, by whatever means, it will be such a pitiful occurence. No matter who you are, or what you do, or what you own now, when the end comes it will mean absolutely zip. Like the rest of the population will be screaming and clawing in desperation for the last shred of salvation that presents itself, may that be ship or god or hole in the ground, whatever. We as an oh so noble race will be reduced to the snivelling animals that we inevitably are.

It then also occured to me, while certain people were being saved during the process of this eradication, why? Why should any of us, as a species, be allowed to survive, what right do we have to exist..what importance to we contribute to the universe that warrants our survival from extinction. I think thats what annoyed me the most.

So, if anyone has anything to say on the subject, however dour and negative and pointless that it is, please feel free to comment. I'm sure there are somethings about humanity that are appealing...right?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavalamp
Cockroaches have been around for an estimated 354 to 290 million years, and what profound effect have they had on the universe?

Where will I be "at the end of the world"? Dead.

[quote name='doukeshi03']Why should any of us, as a species, be allowed to survive, what right do we have to exist..what importance to we contribute to the universe that warrants our survival from extinction. I think thats what annoyed me the most.[/quote]
[size=1]Well, we invented lovely foods like matzo ball soup. And salsa.
Anyway, If the world ever does end I will look it full in the face and welcome it. Humanity deserves whatever we get.[/size]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Although I think everyone and ever thing has a right o live. This include humanity, although I cannot really justify why. (Due to religious matters) But I do think it will be rather interesting to see what happens to humanity within it's final days/hours.

More to the point, when the end of the world shall come. I' probably won't be around to see it. the chances are that everyone here will be at least 50 years gone before it comes.

But if I were to be alive when the world should end, I'd be just like anyone else. Crying, running around like a mad man...

Or laughing at my own stupidity...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=lava lamp]Cockroaches have been around for an estimated 354 to 290 million years, and what profound effect have they had on the universe?

Where will I be "at the end of the world"? Dead.[/QUOTE]
[size=1][font=veranda][color=indigo]Exactly. :p All that will be left are cockroaches and twinkies. XD[/size][/font][/color]

[quote=Corey][size=1][font=veranda]Well, we invented lovely foods like matzo ball soup. And salsa.
Anyway, If the world ever does end I will look it full in the face and welcome it. Humanity deserves whatever we get.[/size][/font][/quote]

[size=1][font=veranda][color=indigo]Well said. And you can't forget the ever popular pizza. XD Sorry.

I will be dead by then, unless someone manages to blow us up. In which case, I'll end up being dead anyway. Hopefully, non-painfully. I hope that, by the end of this bodies time, I will have been satisfied with my life. ^_^ But mostly what Ruby said.[/size][/font][/color]

:laugh: When the end of the world comes, I plan to be far far away from where I am now laughing my ***** off. I also think humanity shouldn't be taken as a whole, but as individuals, so some of us may actualy be saved only to see those we love die, and thus suffer more then if we were all distroyed. Ahhhh the iorny. :devil:

[color=Red][b][Warning - faith based post!][/b][/color]

I know where I will be...

No doubt humanity has screwed up, and I mean really screwed up. It started at the fall, and cointinued in the form of mans ultimate pride in itself and it's progress, and a turning away from God.

This doesn't mean that we aren't enitled to salvation, that gift was given to us at the cross, by Jesus, wether we, humanity as a whole, deserve this salvation is another thing, what matters is we got it, if you want it.

End of the world? Might happen soon, possibly in our lfietimes, thought I don't like to put exact ddates on things. Alot of bilbical prophecy is coming to pass in these years, in chronological order, no doubt. Thought no exact dates can be set, as some do, the sign of the times is there, Matthew 24. It's also ironic that, as we progress throuhg the years, more and more discussions are popping up about the end of the world.

There's my two cents, take it or leave it. :tasty:

[quote name='Rhian][size=1][font=veranda][color=indigo]Exactly. :p All that will be left are cockroaches and twinkies. XD[/size][/font'][/color][/quote]
[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]
Actually, I heard on the news the other day that they were, quite possibly, going to stop making Twinkies. So that leaves us with the cockroaches.

I'm fairly certain the end of the world (or at least humanity) will be due to either nuclear warfair or GM foods causing various major cities' populations to turn into flesh-craving zombies that will rip out our bowles and devour them with undead glee.

I intend to be dead by then, and I don't really mind the fact that whatever I do in this life has no real bearing on the universe at large.

It's up to humanity to give itself meaning for its own purposes, whether or not it amounts to anything in the long run.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Rhian][size=1][font=veranda][color=indigo]Exactly. :p All that will be left are cockroaches and twinkies. XD[/size][/font'][/color][/quote]

[quote name='GodelSensei][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=silver][SIZE=2]Actually, I heard on the news the other day that they were, quite possibly, going to stop making Twinkies. So that leaves us with the cockroaches.[/SIZE][/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]
I think I'm one of the only people who finds that humanity has not messed up. We still know right or wrong whether people like it or not, we have choice. Most animals dont really have that ability. And we are the most intelligent beings on earth, so yea i can say thats a good thing otherwise we'd be even more savage (beat that cockroaches). As for the end of the earth..well i'm pretty sure we will all be buried in the ground by then whenever or if it does happen. I believe we will be replaced by another intelligent race......who knows.......maybe even the revenge of mutan twinkies. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]
Actually, I heard on the news the other day that they were, quite possibly, going to stop making Twinkies. So that leaves us with the cockroaches.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1][font=veranda][color=indigo]:p Yes, but your forgetting all the twinkies that people left in their pantries, and never ate.

eternity, it was a joke. ^_^ I dun think humanity is messed up. Its the individuals. heh, all I meant was that cockroaches and twinkies are indestructable(thus, they won't die when the world is blown up.XD)[/size][/font][/color]

[COLOR=GREEN]Hum... yeah, I guess your right in that humans aren't really worth saving. Now that I think about it, some of the things people have done, just in the past 20 years, makes me want to scream.

As for what I'd be doing if the world came to an end during my lifetime, I'd probibly be doing all the things I hadn't done yet in my life that I've always wanted to do. That way I could go to my grave happy (to an extent). I think too many people take life for granet; they think it's too short so they try to remidie this by trying to make life longer, but I think they should simply live fuller lives. I think we could all benifit from this. (sorry went off on a tangent) :D [/COLOR]

You know, scientists estimate that the species most likely to evolve to the rate of human beings are octopi, not roaches. Roaches only matter if nukes are involved, which they won't be.

And, yeah, maybe I'm an idiot for thinking that human beings are basically good, and would survive apocalptic purges. Human beings are survivors; it be our best trait.

When the world ends, I'll either be dead or in the shower.

[color=darkviolet]You forgot Cher. I heard a quote once that at the end of the war all that will be left are cockroaches, Twinkies and Cher.

As for myself, I'll probably already be dead at the end of the world since if scientists are to be believed the sun isn't about to die anytime soon and you know you [i]can't [/i] base the end of the world on any of these dooms day cults. When have any of them been right?[/color]

[size=1][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=24546]I'll be linking you to this thread.[/url]

It may have some useful information for you. Or just be a good read, anyway. I started it just after I finished reading Day of the Triffids, lol.

Humanity. It is both a blight and...something full of potential. Saying that we are all scum who deserve to die is a bit harsh. We don't always do the right thing...but we are improving. At the sametime, we slide backwards, or continue to make mistakes that we have already made. By what you [doukeshi] are saying...if we don't contribute anything to the universe, then we don't deserve to live? Look at octopi. Do they contribute anything much? No. Should they then be extinct?

No.

Maybe looking at 'rights' and stuff is not the way to go about it. This is how we are: all we can do is try to improve. If we try, then it doesn't matter.

The end of the world. Does that deserve capitals? The End Of The World. Very grand, don't you think? But also as much of a catch-phrase as 'do you want fries with that?' And no, that doesn't deserve capitals.[/size]

[size=1][quote name='Immortal Meier']sincerely i'll say that i hope that at time i'll have finished to learn and i'll have reached illumination like "buddha"[/quote]

Do you mean Buddha's state of [i]enlightenment[/i]?

And starting to learn is a great first step. I highly recommend it. Lol.[/size]

Guest lavalamp
[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']You forgot Cher. I heard a quote once that at the end of the war all that will be left are cockroaches, Twinkies and Cher.[/color][/quote]

That's so true. Cher is probably God in disguise, anyway.

Guest Midnight Rush
[quote name='AnimeForever198][FONT=Arial Black]I would be in Tokyo, Japan holding a sword killing those who I hate. :wigout: It's a good idea to me! [/FONT] [COLOR=DarkOrchid']undefined[/COLOR][/quote]

Uh... what if you have some people you hate in Tibet? Or Chicago?

Maybe you should just.. go to a Starbucks and relax dude... you seem a little tense

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Purple]Who says that the physical world will end? Maybe the end of the world, as we know it, will only come from within our minds. Personally, I think if you go around thinking that the end of the world is coming, you're nuts. Sorry! :p
It will either keep you from living from lack of hope, or cause you to do things prematurely out of fear; only because you think you are running out of time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Midnight Rush]Uh... what if you have some people you hate in Tibet? Or Chicago?

Maybe you should just.. go to a Starbucks and relax dude... you seem a little tense[/QUOTE]

I think I'd like to be in Starbucks at the end of the world.Especially if its attached to Chapters.Mmmm,caffine and reading material.

[quote name='chobit']I think I'd like to be in Starbucks at the end of the world.Especially if its attached to Chapters.Mmmm,caffine and reading material.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Personaly I think I'd rather be in the Sephora at the Venetian in Las Vegas after a tiring night in my hotel room. That way when I die, I'll die happy[/color]

[size=1][color=purple]I'd have to go with Sir Auron on the issue, albeit I'm too lacking in brainpower to elaborate any further. :3

What I see myself doing when the Last Hour arrives is being surrounded by my games, playing peacefully and happily away (well, unless I'm playing Mario Sunshine, lol). At least I'd die entertained. :cool:[/color][/size]