• Hindu
    • Muslim
    • Chinese Folk
    • Ethno Religionist
    • Jewish
    • Sikhs
    • New Religionist
    • Other

Alright, this is going to be very difficult to explain. My religion is Dark Neo-Paganism.

Neo-Paganism is basically what it sounds like...."new paganism". Modern applied sciences are added to the old world ideals of paganism. (For example, the many gods and goddesses are just something called "Thoughtforms", or avatars of one universal consciousness.) Of course, theres still the idea of Karma, and basic Wiccan things such as a Banishing, a Magick circle, and Invocation. Unlike pure Wicca...which puts a big emphasis on correct ritual, Neo-Paganism believes that the idea of using the right color candle or the right stick of incense, or even speaking a spell is just whats called "psychodrama". Just to get in the right mindset. The only Magick tool that is vital is our own brain. The Pagan Sabbats are still celebrated (Yule, Beltane, Samhain, etc.) and I beleive are all Celtic in origin. Neo-Pagans beleive that these days (nights, in [I]Dark [/I] Neo-Paganism) have built up a Thoughtform, or power, all its own, considering how long they have been around. The universal consciousness at work.

The "Dark" aspect is just a term that applies to those who feel more comfortable in nature, during the night. "Wicca by moonlight", to put it concisely. For people who have a naturally dark personality.

Also, I wanna point out that dark doesnt mean evil, as so many people have associated the two. I dont want to sum everyone up in a neat little package, but neo-paganism beleives there are 4 MAIN personality types[U]. Dark Evil, Dark Good, Light Evil, and Light Good[/U]. [B]Dark Evil [/B] are basically Satan Worshippers, murderers, etc. [B]Dark Good [/B] is reserved for people who feel comfortable worshipping nature in the dark and have an affinity to the night. (ie. me. lol) Another example would be a policeman who takes on the graveyard shift because he feels more comfortable wandering while most of the world is asleep, would be considered this.[B] Light Evil [/B] would be those who act in the name of good to commit bad acts. Abortion Clinic bombers, TV Evangelists, etc. Finally [B]Light Good[/b] would be those who feel comfortble in the light, the sun, warmth, etc. Good Christians, Green Witchcraft, someone who enjoys gardening and daytime outdoor activities would all be considered this.
Of course, these are VERY quick limited examples and its not always this black and white. ^_^

[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=1]I would [I]love[/I] to say I'm a humanist. I really would. For those that don't know, humanism is a philosophy where one believes that people have enough essential goodness inside that they don't [I]need[/I] to believe in a deity figure in order to behave in a respectable way towards other people and things.

Now I believe that everyone does have that potential inside them. But I had to hit 'Atheist' instead, because I just can't follow humanism on the evidence of people's behaviour today. It isn't enough to have to potential, people have to [I]want[/I] to unlock it and use it, and a fair percentage of the world's population today clearly doesn't want to.

Humanism is like Communism; it's a beautiful concept, a fantastic ideal. It just doesn't work in practice. Shame.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=elfpirate]

Not to his own liking- they say that he discovered the "true" word of God ( and not in a desert, either- it was somewhere on the East coast of the United States- like New York or Jersey or something) and that he was their prophet- that the lost tribes of Israel travelled to the American continent so many years ago and buried some gold or bronze leaf that had the true word of God inscribed on them- not the words of the prophets and apostles, mind you, but the words of the Christ himself... and everyone knows that the true words of Christ negate anything some prophet or apostle said- even if it was in Christ's name... *smirking*...So he found the word of Christ, used a pair of magical eyeglasses to interpret what was written, and had visions of angels that came to speak to him, and thus became the Mormon prophet which the Book of Mormon was written after- though I don't think he wrote it himself...[/quote]

[color=darkslategray][size=1]I stand corrected. And thank you for explaining that to me. But where did he get the idea that the Mormon men can have as many wives as they want? Why do the men of the Mormon religion seem to have more priveleges than women? Smirk all you want; yes, you corrected me. Now go baske in it :p [/color][/size]

[quote]However, this true word of god on the golden leaves is once again buried or something until... I don't know when... and I think the magical glasses disappeared, too, somehow...

I couldn't take it seriously enough to continue studying it after I asked the Mormon ...uh...missionaries?... why they view blacks as an inferior race and they became really angry with me for questioning that. I'm pretty sure that it stems from the whole Lost Tribes of Israel /master race bull****, though.[/quote]

[color=darkslategray][size=1]All men created equal, yes? Once again, that kind of goes back on my questions I stated earlier (about marriage and rights). Did the "magical glasses" just disappear at on certain point in their Bible? All of these questions lead me to think that he had totally re-written the Bible, or whatever book he claimed to find.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=GREEN]Ok, well I'm a Christian, Roman Catholic to be exact. But I'm [U]NOT[/U] a fundamentalist catholic. I do not believe in every aspect of my religion, I don't let my religion effect every aspect of my life and I don't take every word of the Bible at face value (that's just stupid in my opinion). I guess I could take up a good chunk of this post ranting about why it's stupid to take a book, that was written 50 years after the latest of the original events took place, literally, but I guess I already proved my point.

Anyways, on a slightly more positive tangent, let me explain a bit of a unique situation. I'm a catholic, but I'm also a liberal. Many would think of this as an oxymoron, since many view a religion like Catholisism to be very conservative, but that not really the case in New Orleans (where I'm from). This city is majortiy Catholic and majority liberal, and I really don't think this has anything to do with religious values. The citizens of New Orleans are proud to be so unique and being liberal in a Southern state and Catholic in a Protistant country are just two of the things that make us so different.[/COLOR]

[quote name='wrist cutter']Because that's what religion is all about. Making yourself feel better by randomly pulling deities out of... the garbage chute.[/quote]

Actually that's what every action one commits on earth is about, making yourself feel better. In joining any form of faith one will feel they have a better understanding of the universe as it exists (sometimes to the point of elitism). The same could be said about atheism, in removing religious philosophies from one's life he/she loses the responsibilities of the faith and also will feel that their understanding is better. No one in the world tries to go against their own will, because that isn't possible. Murderers and sex offenders have a justification for what they do, regardless of how immoral our society views them. Therefore, in everything one does it makes said person feel better, even if in actuality it doesn't help at all.

[quote name='Annalisse][color=darkslategray]"Bootysim"...O.o. It sounds to me like your brother and his friend[s'] are just lonely fellows, and very bored lonely fellows at that. How in any way, shape, or form is that a religion, haha. Please don't take that personal, Chibi. I mean nothing by it. It's just that the whole idea (and that's what it is) is amusing.[/color][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]YOu don't need to tell me that it's not a religion just a strange idea. It's not even my strange idea. I think this idea was brought up with help of drugs alcohol and maybe Romanian food.

But they're not lonely, my brother has a bi-polar girlfriend that he doesn't want me talking to...as for boredum...maybe he shoudl try cleaning his room or doing laundry instead of creating religions...even ones that involve killing bugs.

So no problems here...just don't blame me when bootyists come knocking on your door and asking to touch [i]your[/i] booty.[/color]

My religion is called Self Realization Fellowship. We are a non-denominational Christain church. We believe that all religions are just different paths to God, so we don't condemn anybody for there beliefs. People from all religions can go to our church without changing their own faith. I love my religion because I can feel comfertable around everybody's different religions. It's just when people turn around and criticise me for my beliefs, it's sometimes really hard to swallow. I do get over it quickly though. :) We also have no problems with atheists. We just say that's their choice and they are happy with it so we willl leave it at that. I was wondering if anyone else here was in SRF since it really isn't a small church organization or if anyone has read the Autobiography of a Yogi. Anyways, I'm done talking.

[QUOTE=Annalisse][color=darkslategray][size=1] Smirk all you want; yes, you corrected me. Now go baske in it :p [/size][/color]

I wasn't smirking at you... I was smirking at the "everyone knows" part of what I was writing because it all seems very silly to me...

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]I'm Catholic. My dad's family is Italian, and my mom's Irish.
Uhh..I'm not sure how Catholism works, but my freind who is very Irish Catholic told me lots of stuff. Like the struggle in Ireland with the UK. And how the British came to Ireland thousands of years ago, and did horrible unspeakable things to the Irish. Recently though, after the recent preist scandal, a lot of Catholic churches in Boston have been shutting down. It makes sense, but still a lot of people don't have a place to pray. I think it's sad really. :( A lot of people are givng up in faith...

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dragonboym2][COLOR=Blue]Recently though, after the recent preist scandal, a lot of Catholic churches in Boston have been shutting down. It makes sense, but still a lot of people don't have a place to pray.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#404142]You don't need a freakin' church to pray. A church is just a place to gather and talk about the "word of God". Praying can take place at school (silent prayer anyway), work, home, in a vehicle, wherever.

Sure, it may help people to go into a church to pray. But it's definitely not the only place prayer is available.

--is this topic even available to discuss after a month? I'm just curious o.O[/color]

[size=1]Unlike what most would say, I am not, in fact, Wiccan. :p I have been considering many different religions, even Christianity. I, myself, am a Unitarian Universalist. Let me give you all the mission statement for my congregation and I'll let you decide for yourselves what it means(see? true UU)

The Unitarian Universalist COngregation of Gwinnett is a supportive religious community who's purposes are to explore spirituality, celebrate humanity, and respect diversity.

I honestly don't think about whether God is or isn't. Something is there; maybe it can all be explained by science one day when we become advanced enough. Maybe there is a Diety that controls how the universe works. Whatever it is, I am thankful for just being alive. :) I am a witch, but I have been considering Christianity. So, I have no real religion, not really.[/size]

I'm the first Mormon on here to post that I know of (and I'm free to question I can answer because from what I can tell from friends at school Mormons are put down alot for things we don't believe in but other churches say we do) so extra cool for me. I have a question for you bible goers though. If you read in Moses about him freeing the people, does it not say the God said "I will harden his (meaning the Pharaoh) heart" (can't quote the rest so this is my atempt) "that he shall not listen and you will (blah blah whatever it is that he does with the staff and the snake and the other things) and ye may tell your children what I have done". Basically what I see that as is God is doing that plauge (however you spell it) thing and killing a whole bunch of innocent children just to prove to future generations that he exists and we now see that it had no lasting effect and I'm sure God would have seen that if (as I am leaning on the believing side) he has the abbility to see and understand everything, thus allowing him to know it would happen that way. What's up with that? That's like the only thing I have against any Christian things. I still believe in God and worship him and stuff so I put that question behind me but now that this is open it brought it back to my mind. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Patronus][color=black]I have just viewed your newly-closed topic about astral projection, and while that makes me doubt your true being as a Wiccan, you may think as you will.[/color]

[color=black][/color]
[color=black]I'm undenominational, meaning I don't take to one religion such as Christianity, Catholicism, etc.[/color] Organized religion isn't something I'd be able to handle, because I'm what they call a left brain thinker, meaning I'm more logical than faithful.

EDIT: I'm not going to make a new post just to reply to you. Saying you're not a true Wiccan, and just a new one is basically calling yourself a fraud in my eyes. *shrug* I saw something and commented on it.[/QUOTE]

I just have to reply to this one and A LOT of comment in this thread.

Astral projection is [B]indeed [/B] practiced in the Wiccan belief (it just isn't [B]exactly[/B] called that and the manner it is practised in is "somewhat" different) If anyone wishes to deny this, then that is their [B]"belief"[/B], however they want to put it.

Now, speaking of churches. Here's a crazy name for a church that actually exsisted in an Arizona city. "Catholic-Lutheran-Mormon" Church. In my opinion, the name by itself proves to me that a church is, after all, a place to speak of the "word" (whatever word it may be).

About prayer and..."stuff"...If you truly have faith in your religion, then you can pray wherever "the Hell" you are (pun intended). The God/s you believe in will appreciate it! (A Christian actually pointed this one out to me!)

And one other thing. Sora, is it true that Mormons can marry more than one wife?

Note:
The last comment was an example, [B]NOT[/B] directly bashing a single religion. It just so happens that there are religions out there that change some points/rules that the "founder" presented and still say that their religion is the right one. There are examples that apply, but I find it innapropriate to list ones in general. Picking Mormon as an example was the only one that was most obvious to me at this/the time. I hope there are no hard feelings.

Although I was raised as a Mormon by my parents I haven't belonged to any religion for 8 years. I don't even consider myself Mormon. Truthfully I believe that religion is unnecessary. I don't know how to explain it as I only know that I have no desire to be part of any secular religion. Religion to me has always seemed to be a means for fitting in with what ever culture you feel most comfortable with and I deeply dislike the idea that to fit in you have to be part of a religious group. It's hard to explain but I prefer to know and be part of people's lives because of who they are and not what they belong to or rather believe in. Sorry if I make no sense. :animeswea

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Xy GGu']Excellent phelosiphy, Sunfall. (Did I spell phelosiphy right? I hardly use the word when writing.). No one should be pressured to be in a religion. You do indeed make perfect sense to me.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet] (all problems shall be fixed upon my return to NY) The correct spelling is [b]philosophy[/b]

Anyways.my husband and I are Wiccan, but one of our friends and his wife belong to the Church Of Christ which is another section of CHristian beliefs. One of their most interesting rules is that you can't remarry if you just decide to divorce for no reason...or maybe it's just that you can't have sex with another person. I'll figure that one out later. :animeswea

Also as far as I know Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore. I believe this practice ended when they were trying to get statehood for Utah. Although i have heard in the news that at times this practice is still in use...though not as wide spread as some people think.[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet] (all problems shall be fixed upon my return to NY) The correct spelling is [b]philosophy[/b]

Anyways.my husband and I are Wiccan, but one of our friends and his wife belong to the Church Of Christ which is another section of CHristian beliefs. One of their most interesting rules is that you can't remarry if you just decide to divorce for no reason...or maybe it's just that you can't have sex with another person. I'll figure that one out later. :animeswea

Also as far as I know Mormons don't practice polygamy anymore. I believe this practice ended when they were trying to get statehood for Utah. Although i have heard in the news that at times this practice is still in use...though not as wide spread as some people think.[/color][/QUOTE]

Mormons don't pratice polygamy anymore as it is no longer legal. However there are about 30,000 people in Utah who do pratice it. They get around the law by only getting married legally by the state to their first wife and then they only get married to the others at church. Other wise the state would go after them. But they use this loophole to get around the law. I know this as one of the polgymist communities is about 15 miles from my home.

I am athiest, and I feel it to be the perfect religion for me, I like to live life by my own rules, not those pre-set for me by someone else, I'm sure many people believe that I'll be going to hell and I can burn forever thanks to my beliefs, I've heard it several times before and I have lots to say to that...

#1-If your Christian, I hope not to hear a word from you, I've read the bible and I've been the church and it is a sin to judge someone is not Christian. Christians are held to higher standard through the bible and are not supposed to judge others who have different beliefs.

#2-I don't believe I'll be going to hell. I believe that there is a greater power and god or no god, if you live a good life, treat people well, and repent rather then pray for the things you've done wrong, you will be repayed.

#3-There is a song I heard that represents my feelings perfect, its called "At Least I Know I'm A Sinner" by the band Atreyu. And I believe every word of that song to be true. Anyone who hears of someone elses religion and chooses to judge them will pay the true price in the end. Life is hard enough and each pf us need the support of our fellow man, not a critque

• 3 weeks later...
There's really no one religion I identify with...my religion is all my own...or something like that...
I just have a hard time believing in anything at all...very skeptical...oh well, I guess if the Christians are right I'll be regretting that... :animeswea

If I had to pick a religion that I identified with the most, I think it'd be Buddhism...but yeah...I'm not big on practicing religions.

[quote name='Sora']I'm the first Mormon on here to post that I know of (and I'm free to question I can answer because from what I can tell from friends at school Mormons are put down alot for things we don't believe in but other churches say we do) so extra cool for me. I have a question for you bible goers though. If you read in Moses about him freeing the people, does it not say the God said "I will harden his (meaning the Pharaoh) heart" (can't quote the rest so this is my atempt) "that he shall not listen and you will (blah blah whatever it is that he does with the staff and the snake and the other things) and ye may tell your children what I have done". Basically what I see that as is God is doing that plauge (however you spell it) thing and killing a whole bunch of innocent children just to prove to future generations that he exists and we now see that it had no lasting effect and I'm sure God would have seen that if (as I am leaning on the believing side) he has the abbility to see and understand everything, thus allowing him to know it would happen that way. What's up with that? That's like the only thing I have against any Christian things. I still believe in God and worship him and stuff so I put that question behind me but now that this is open it brought it back to my mind. Any thoughts?[/quote]

From my understanding of it, God was causing the plagues to free the Israelites, not to prove his existance. The part about telling the children was so they'd understand how painful it is to be a slave and how thankful they should be that God was able to protect and free them. Also, although we should be happy about freedom, we aren't supposed to be happy about the plagues. In fact, on Passover (a Jewish holiday commemorating the Exodus), we purposefully spill 10 drops of wine from our second cup to respect the innocent Egyptians who suffered in the plagues. I hope that clears things up.

I don't fall into a religion. I believe there is a god. I don't know which god is there... not saying I believe in Jesus or in Budha but I do believe someone watches us and tries to help us. My father is a Christia,. He hopes to be a Minister one day. We don't live together but we communicate through MSN Messenger. When we talk, he usually starts talking about his god and how great he is. he tries to get me into it but I don't get that into it... I wouldn't mind reading the bible and learning about how god came to be... but then again I wouldn't mind learning the other religions. I would like to learn about Budha and posible Jewdism. I'm extremely interested in Chinese and Japanese cultures and I'm thinking of seeing who they believe in and how they follow out their duties in that religion.

I realised long ago ago that my beliefs don't fit into any category. I like to think of myself as a self-appointed altheist. My religious opinions are from many different practices, but they revolve around morality. I don't care who you are, or what you believe in, as long as you are a good person.