• Hindu
    • Muslim
    • Chinese Folk
    • Ethno Religionist
    • Jewish
    • Sikhs
    • New Religionist
    • Other

[color=black]I have just viewed your newly-closed topic about astral projection, and while that makes me doubt your true being as a Wiccan, you may think as you will.[/color]

[color=black][/color]
[color=black]I'm undenominational, meaning I don't take to one religion such as Christianity, Catholicism, etc.[/color] Organized religion isn't something I'd be able to handle, because I'm what they call a left brain thinker, meaning I'm more logical than faithful.

EDIT: I'm not going to make a new post just to reply to you. Saying you're not a true Wiccan, and just a new one is basically calling yourself a fraud in my eyes. *shrug* I saw something and commented on it.

If you would have read my post more clearly, you would have seen that it said I was new, not true. I just started, so therefore I am curious, and I have already spoken to a high priest for help who was kind, so please don't criticise me. This thread wasn't made for criticism.

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Atheism isn't a religion.

There are no values, trends, or activities that go along with atheism. It's just living without God, per se. So it would have been more appropriate to put "N/A" in its place. (Just saying.)

I'm an atheist. But I still celebrate Christmas and Easter and, to an extent, Chinese New Year, even though I'm not Chinese and it's not really a religious ceremony. Eh.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Godel, I've always seen religion as a belief system. With Atheism, you have chosen not to believe in God. In other words, you believe there is no god.

The only thing that would not be classified as a religion would be the agnostic group. That's actually a lack of a belief system, and therefore a lack of a religion. They can't bring themselves to believe in anything, God or not.

As for my religion, I want to see how long people mistake me for Christian, so my lips are sealed. It's so funny how NO OB member has guessed correctly and I've been labelled as a Christian by so many. It's almost too funny.

So, here's to keeping the fun going.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1]Is Azure...Catholic?

Anyway, to me, the various denominations of Christiainity [or whatever religion you'd like to pick, lol] don't mean much. I'm aware that there are differences between the denominations, but really, I don't believe it matters too much. From a purely ignroant point of view, of course, heh.[/size]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]I'm a spiritualist, which is basically where I believe in a life after death, and psychic phenomenon and basically being [i]good[/i] to people. The nature of spiritualism, though, is that it's pretty personal how you choose (and what you choose) to believe, so it has no real belief structure either, heh.

It is not to be confused with Wicca.

I'm pretty sure you'd get a fair mix of Christians and Atheists/Agnostics from this, heh. And atheism isn't really a religion, as, in fact, it doesn't have a belief structure. People just don't believe in God, when they're atheistic. It's not like they go to a church to celebrate their lack of belief in God, or have a bible that says 'Don't believe in God this way'. Heh.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]I'm some form of Animist or Shamanist- I believe that some form of spirits exist. In relation to deities, I'm agnostic- I cannot disprove whatever deity or deities that you believe in exist. You most likely cannot prove that your deity exists. With that said, I tolerate you for believing- as anything other than that would be somewhat childish.

The only sure thing that I can see is that I am mortal- therefore, this life of mine will cease to be at some point in the future. I suppose, since I know that will occur, I should live this life the way I wish to. Whether or not I will exist in some other way after this [or if I have existed in some other way prior to this] is, once again, hard to prove or disprove. So, the only thing tangible I seem to have is my life.

Here's to living.[/color]

Although my family is Presbyterian, I guess I would have to call myself agnostic. I don't believe in the existence of a higher being, but it's not for a lack of trying.

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]As for my religion, I want to see how long people mistake me for Christian, so my lips are sealed. It's so funny how NO OB member has guessed correctly and I've been labelled as a Christian by so many. It's almost too funny.

So, here's to keeping the fun going.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Haha, I could have sworn you were Catholic (Baron, Catholics are Christians too). In fact, I was absolutely positive that you were some kind of Christian. Now I feel sort of sheepish, because I'm not quite sure what gave me that impression. ^_^;;

~Dagger~

[color=darkslateblue]Normally, I like to keep away from discussing religion. This is due to the fact that I get rather excited about it..and not excited as in "Oh yay! I'm getting a scanner for Christmas!" excited. I mean, rather aggressive excited. But, because I'm interested and bored, I'll post. Once something gets heated, I promise James, I'll drop the topic and never come back to this thread ^_^

I believe there is a God or a higher power. I am not sure if I truely believe in Jesus. And I do not believe that a "messiah" will "rise" [again].

I do not agree that people have to see this "messiah" to believe in their religion. That shows absolutely no faith in what they believe. Faith is based upon putting your devotion and loyalty into a belief, and does not need "evidence" to prove what you believe. This is one of my pet peaves of religion. I do not see that as religion; I see it as politics.

Another, and perhaps my most despised, pet peave of religion is being "saved". Baptists hold this belief that you won't [or don't deserve to] enter Heaven if you don't get "saved". It was made clear to me on how they [Baptists] see this "saving" thing as their get-into-Heaven-free card one day in Biology (which really pisses me off to no end of the universe).

This girl who sat behind me, was explaining to her friend about how much she was suffering through her [b]third[/b] abortion. *I couldn't believe that she was admitting to killing an innocent child. But oh, that's okay for her to kill an innocent child. You want to know why? Because she went to her church and got saved. So, now she'll be able to enter Heaven with a clean slate.........because she got "saved". I don't give a rat's rear end what religion or belief you choose to take, but the killing of an innocent child does not wipe clean.

So I turned around to argue with her on that, and she told me that I needed to be saved. I almost laughed, which I know is not right, but I couldn't believe her. I told her that I didn't believe in getting saved. And this is what she said to me: "Then you will go to Hell. If you don't go and get saved, you will not go to Heaven.."

I told her that if either of us were to be cast into Hell, it would be her. She was not happy with me. She then insulted my pending religion of being Catholic. She carried on about how Catholics are wrong because they worship statues and Mary. And how she thought that it was wrong..yada yada yada..and that I was going to Hell because I didn't believe in being saved..yada yada yada..

Let me get this clear: Catholics don't woship statues or Mary. Statues are just art. And they praise and thank Mary for birthing Jesus. I told this to that girl. But she still swore and cursed me to Hell. -laughs-

Am I Catholic? I cannot tell you. I'm baptized Catholic, but I still am not sure in what to believe.

Perhaps I'm atheist? I could not tell you.

[i][b]*Abortion is an entirely different view and topic. If someone wishes to fight over that with me, then please, PM me. I believe it is murder, but if you'd like to beg the differ, so be it. PM me.[/b][/i] [/color]

[b]Short Answer[/b]
I'm a pseudo-Christian with unconventional beliefs.

[b]Long Answer[/b]
I tend to consider myself a Christian, but only because I believe Jesus had [i]some[/i] kind of major connection to "God." However, I also adhere to the Hindu belief that one ultimate power can manifest itself on Earth in any form, thus taking on the forms of many Gods in many religions; which is why you rarely here of Hindus getting into large religious debates. Their religon is structured to be accepting of other religions. I wouldn't consider myself Hindu, however, as I [i]do[/i] believe in a Hell and I love the taste of beef.

Overall, I don't think God is one all-mighty being watching from Heaven. I believe God [i]is[/i] everything. If God were an all-powerful being, why would It create Angels to do all of Its work? That's why I think God is the essence of creation, and that there are Angels (which can be interpretted as multiple Gods in polytheistic religions) that do all of the saving, condemning, and other divine works. Is God all-powerful? I think so. Is God one entity? I doubt it. I think God is a power.

And frankly, I think most organized religions are right to an extent, but wrong in other areas, due to massive misinterpretations of the same message. Why else would every major (and minor) religion tell humanity to behave the exact same way?

So why do I consider myself Christian, specifically? Because I believe you can get into Heaven as long as you have faith in [i]something[/i] good, and [i]Christianity[/i] appeals to me. Some Christians, on the other hand...?

--EDIT--
[SKY KEEPER], no offense, but your family doesn't sound very enlightened.

[quote name='Manic']...and I love the taste of beef.[/quote][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]You know, it has always been my dream to build a steakhouse right outside this one Indian professor's office, but that's another story...

Manic, while I do respect your stance, I really dislike the whole "every religion is right" idea. That borders on the whole "Jews for Jesus" religion, which just doesn't make sense. If there are any Jews for Jesus reading this, I would really love to know what makes you guys different from Christians.

Of course a lot of the ideas are the same: they are even stated as such, like the whole Moses thing and the pillar of fire. [quote name='Baron Samedi]Is Azure...Catholic?[/QUOTE] Haha, no Baron. As Dagger mentioned, Catholicism is like a subgroup of Christianity. Even if it wasn't, I'm not that bloody nit-picky when it comes to religion.[QUOTE=Dagger IX1']Haha, I could have sworn you were Catholic (Baron, Catholics are Christians too). In fact, I was absolutely positive that you were some kind of Christian. Now I feel sort of sheepish, because I'm not quite sure what gave me that impression. ^_^;;[/quote] Heh, I was actually referring to people who try to flame me. I didn't know other people also thought I was Christian, but now I really want to know why I give off that feeling. Of course I'm not going to ask the people who are trying to insult me, haha.

*thinks back* I think the most recent one was where ChibiHorseWoman was trying to get me back for saying something about Wiccanism, and lo-and-behold, she starts using Christianity in her hypothetical example.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue] *thinks back* I think the most recent one was where ChibiHorseWoman was trying to get me back for saying something about Wiccanism, and lo-and-behold, she starts using Christianity in her hypothetical example.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]When was this? Send me a link since I really don't remember this happening and I have a pretty good memory.

Anyways..I'm a new Wiccan. I even took a Wicca 1 class and passed the test with a pretty decent score..I messed up on the cordinates for the Wheel of the Year. I think I'll wait a while to enroll in wicca 2.

I used to be Catholic. I was Catholic for 21 years. But I started to wane a few years back (before I even met Lincoln) when this priest at one of the city Churches was doing things he felt were right like helping out the poor, getting his parishoners (my maternal grandparents included) involved more in the community and prosiding over gay marriages and then the priests in the other churches began acting overly sanctimonious and asking during general prayer for Father...I forgot his name to see the light and the error of his ways. Needless to say I wasn't too impressed with the hypocrisy surrounding those priests and deacons. Neither was my mom, but she's always been a Catholic/Christian what have you so she still practices.

And yes I do know that not all Christians are hypocrites. There's good and bad in every religion and judge not lest ye be judged is something to live by. Along with and it harm none do what ye will.[/color]

[color=darkslateblue] From every church that I've been in (Baptist, Methodist, Luthren, Catholic), they are all the same. Donations going to hungry children? No, instead it goes to the lovely stained-glass window in the entrance hallway. And whatever money is left, is stored in the bank for the church's next project.

In fact, it's out of a church family's heart and kindness ([b]and out of their own wallets[/b]) that those needy families get a hot holiday dinner, warm clothes, toys, gift certificates to the local supermarket, school supplies, shoes, toiletries..you get my drift.

This, my family and I have done personally. The church had nothing to do with this act of compassion and generosity. [/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well I'm a devout Roman Catholic, always have been, always will be. Just to take Dagger's point one step further and actually clear up the whole subject, Catholicism is actually the original form of Christianity before any other groups like Protestants split off. When it comes to dealing with people from other religions I'm usually very tolerant, they have as much right to theirs as I do mine. However when it comes to groups like Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses who actually come to my house and try and covert me then that annoys me more than a little.

I have to admit that when it comes to more modern or New-Age religions like Wiccan I have a tendency to look upon them with a mixture of curiosity and contempt. I suppose the contempt part just comes from a lack of understanding, but honestly I have no intention of learning more about such New Age religions. Yes I accept that is a little closed-minded however time way that people like CHW would be offered up to the Inquisitions and burned alive for being a heretic. I'm of the opinion that such things are a little extreme, and merely raising an eyebrow in a dubious curiosity is enough.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Kane][SIZE=1]However when it comes to groups like Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses who actually come to my house and try and covert me then that annoys me more than a little.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=darkslateblue]Oh my, Gavin. I think this will be my first disagreement with you..to an extent. I'm not going to touch on the Mormons, because I am not too affiliated with them. But I am going to argue your accusation on the Jehovah's Witnesses.

It's not a based religion. What they believe in is the Bible. They take everything that's going on in the world today and relate it to what has happened in the Bible. Then they proceed to ask you to think about what you can do about it. They don't push you into believing that their "religion" is what you should believe..or Catholicism, Methodist, Protestant, or whatever. They simply use the Bible in a positive way to help deal with what's going on in the world, and how you can make a difference to yourself, your friends, and your family.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are a group of people who have the idea to help people use the Bible as a tool, rather than a weapon (is what I've found to be most religion's main to turn, even the religion I still question as my own).
[/color]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1']However when it comes to groups like Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses who actually come to my house and try and covert me then that annoys me more than a little. [/SIZE][/quote]

[color=crimson]It's not really a conversion at that point. The Bible Study is the conversion part. JW's going to door to door is just the spread of their bible-based literature- and seeking maybe a few bucks in donations. In like 14 years of going door-to-door I got like two dollars in donations. Oh, and, the feeling of irritation is sometimes mutual, depending on how much respect you impart upon them.

It isn't as positive as all that, though. They call their religion "the truth"- they think that all other religions *are* false in many ways, depending on which religion you are looking at. They are quite elitist and, personally, I view them as being in the territory of extremists- they preach that all non-Jehovah's Witnesses are going to violently pass on at Armageddon, lol. Of course, this is God's will so it is obviously a-ok to exterminate the vast majority of mankind.

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to insist on a balanced view of them. They have pros and cons to their rhetoric and actions. I'm glad that someone tolerates them though- that isn't too common.

Oh, and- it's good to see you Annie! ^_^ [/color]

[quote name='Annie']From every church that I've been in (Baptist, Methodist, Luthren, Catholic), they are all the same. Donations going to hungry children? No, instead it goes to the lovely stained-glass window in the entrance hallway. And whatever money is left, is stored in the bank for the church's next project.[/quote]
This may not be the time or the place, but I want to comment on that. Not all churches are the same, in the respect that they use donations for their own ends. There are churches out there that feed the hungry, clothe the naked, give shelter to the homeless, etc. I hope you find a church somewhere in your life that isn't selfish.

[quote]
In fact, it's out of a church family's heart and kindness ([b]and out of their own wallets[/b]) that those needy families get a hot holiday dinner, warm clothes, toys, gift certificates to the local supermarket, school supplies, shoes, toiletries..you get my drift.

This, my family and I have done personally. The church had nothing to do with this act of compassion and generosity.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad that your church doesn't take any action in helping the less fortunate. I think you may be over generalizing that all churches are stingy, because once again, there are plenty that aren't. My church, for example, goes and offers shelter to whomever needs it. We work at the soup kitchen every so often, and raise money for local charities to help less fortunate families. Sure, the families attending church donate a great deal of money and time to these projects, but that's the only way it will get done. A church without members to help it is just a building.