OtakuBoards

Dagger

I have seen most of Book 1 and I have to say this is a decent show. I know the puritans might disagree but I classify this as anime. Sure it isn't done by Japanese but IMO anime refers to a style, and there is no question in my mind that this animation references the anime style.

I have enjoyed a series like this since... hmm... Cowboy Bebop probably.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1][color=indigo]I most certainly hope so. There's so many things left unsaid/unexplained. [spoiler]Where is Zuko's mother? What happens to Azula? What's Uncle's story?! We know he's seen the Spirit World because he saw Avatar Roku (sp?)'s dragon in the Earth Kingdom. How could he have seen that! Where's the whole book on Iroh?[/spoiler]

It's too good of a series to just have an end! I did hear rumors of a movie...is this just a rumor, or an actuality?[/size][/color]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Now I have a ?, it may come off as stupid but does anybody know if they're planning on doing anything past book 4?[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]First of all there were only three books not four. For there to have been a fourth book the Air Nomads would have had to still exist. But that is an idea I've messed with in my head.

Second your best bet is [URL="http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/"]this site right here[/URL] it's not an official avatar site, but they do have a lot of information on the series itsself.

There is supposed to be a movie out in 2010- yeah next year, a year after the show is finished.And I've heard it's supposed to be live action. I really wish Nick would re-air the show right now since I've only got up to book 3 scroll 2 and am waiting for my tax refund or a full time offer from my per-diem job to purchase the final box set. The last two were kinda impulse buys that I could afford because I made about the same amount of money and had a lot of over time.

A fourth season would be great though. They could do some stuff about Iroh and Zuko and see what happened to Azula after she totally lost her mind.

Hope that helps[/color]

A fourth season would be somewhat difficult because I heard that the voice actor for Iroh [spoiler]died.[/spoiler]

I love this series very much. I saw a few random episodes here and there and one day I decided to just buy the entire series so I do not waste my time trying to find it on tv and enjoy it all in 'order'

Book 2 and 3 have to be my favorite seasons. Mainly because Toph is my favorite character and the plot twists and the major character development in book 3.

The repeated opening got really annoying though after the first disc of Book 1.

[color=indigo][size=1]If I can remember correctly, [spoiler]Iroh's original voice actor, Mako, died in the second book. And they found actor Greg Baldwin to replace Mako either during the second book, but definitely for the third book. So, obviously, they could continue Avatar.[/spoiler]

[url=http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/voice_actors.php?id=190]Click here for more avatar info[/url][/color][/size]

[quote name='Athena'][color=indigo][size=1]If I can remember correctly, [spoiler]Iroh's original voice actor, Mako, died in the second book. And they found actor Greg Baldwin to replace Mako either during the second book, but definitely for the third book. So, obviously, they could continue Avatar.[/spoiler]

[url=http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/voice_actors.php?id=190]Click here for more avatar info[/url][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]You're right he died during the final eps or just after they finished book three. I remember going through the voice credits in the Avatar shorts in the bonus DVD with Book two. Really you can hardly tell the difference unless you stop to think about it. Which is good because Iroh is probably one of the best two dimensional characters ever. [spoiler]especially in book 3 during the day of the Black sun when he broke out of jail. Whoa man did he kick butt! Knocked the guard right out! Bam![/spoiler] Yeah, I'm a big fan of Iroh. Anyone ever see that Tales of Ba Sing Se episode? Iroh's part made me cry[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff]You're right he died during the final eps or just after they finished book three. I remember going through the voice credits in the Avatar shorts in the bonus DVD with Book two. Really you can hardly tell the difference unless you stop to think about it. Which is good because Iroh is probably one of the best two dimensional characters ever. [spoiler]especially in book 3 during the day of the Black sun when he broke out of jail. Whoa man did he kick butt! Knocked the guard right out! Bam![/spoiler] Yeah, I'm a big fan of Iroh. Anyone ever see that Tales of Ba Sing Se episode? Iroh's part made me cry[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo][size=1]I think Aang's voice actor changed too...not so sure on that one, though. Iroh is definitely my favorite character. I wish--hope--they come out with a special series based just on his life.........ah, what a wonderous story it would be :3

Personally, I've always liked Zuko. Call me nuts, but I always liked his character. Yeah, he was quite the cry baby, but still [spoiler]a great turn around on his part.[/spoiler] I was so proud! :>

Toph is just plain awesome. There's nothin more to be said on her. She just flippin rocks.

Then comes Sokka. Oh that boy is so silly. I think I love him so much because he reminds me of my husband, lol. "Look, it's a giant mushroom! Maybe it's friendly!!"

I never cared for Katara. [spoiler]And did anyone else notice that she "fell" for several of the male characters??? Or am I just being resentful, lol[/spoiler][/color][/size]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff]
There is supposed to be a movie out in 2010- yeah next year, a year after the show is finished.And I've heard it's supposed to be live action.[/color][/QUOTE]
Yeah, about that movie. It's suppose to be directed by M. Night Shamalan (sp?), and as of right now, I forgot the other people, but Jesse McCartney's going to be Zuko... I already feel that the games, anime, cartoons should be left alone if it's not going to be CG. And I'll leave it at that.

[quote name='Japan_86']Book 2 and 3 have to be my favorite seasons. Mainly because Toph is my favorite character and the plot twists and the major character development in book 3.[/quote]
Agreed. Well, not so much on plot twists, then again [spoiler]Roku being Zuko's great grandfather[/spoiler] was a bit of a shocker to me. But yeah, Toph is one of my favorites (Toph, Zuko and Iroh) as well. From the way she fights to her sarcasm, she's a fun character.

[quote name='Athena'][color=indigo][size=1] I think Aang's voice actor changed too...not so sure on that one, though. Iroh is definitely my favorite character. I wish--hope--they come out with a special series based just on his life.........ah, what a wonderous story it would be :3 [/quote][/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]Yes he did and it was after the first episode in the first season/ book. You'd see that from the first box set. Which I should watch again. And I'm with you, Iroh is such a great well rounded character that you can't help but like. That's what made Avatar such a great cartoon. They have well developed characters that are either likeable or loathable[/color]

[quote name='Athena'][color=indigo][size=1]Personally, I've always liked Zuko. Call me nuts, but I always liked his character. Yeah, he was quite the cry baby, but still [spoiler]a great turn around on his part.[/spoiler] I was so proud! :> [/quote][/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]Yeah one of my closest friends has a thing for Zuko. Yes she knows he's just a lot of drawings, but a girl can dream can't she? And yes we both got mad [spoiler]During the fall of Ba Sing Se and the fact that Zuko betrayed Iroh... I was very upset. Especially since Iroh is the only one besides his mother who ever showed him any love and compassion. [/spoiler] Yeah just picture two twenty-six year olds yelling at the TV. [spoiler]We're both glad he redeemed himself at the end of the series. Especially with Iroh.[/spoiler] because he needed to do that to grow. And I still don't completely buy that MaiKo pairing.[/color]

[quote name='Athena'][color=indigo][size=1]Toph is just plain awesome. There's nothin more to be said on her. She just flippin rocks.[/quote][/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]Toph is hilarious. I love how she picks on Sokka when he forgets that she's blind. Ie: [spoiler]I think that looks just like Appa. When she's talking about Sokka's bad drawing[/spoiler] Yeah good stuff.[/color]

[quote name='Athena'][color=indigo][size=1]Then comes Sokka. Oh that boy is so silly. I think I love him so much because he reminds me of my husband, lol. "Look, it's a giant mushroom! Maybe it's friendly!!"[/quote][/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]" Friendly mushroom! Mushy Giant friend!" I couldn't resist. [spoiler]The Desert Part Two when he was high off of Cactus Juice[/spoiler] Oh yeah Sokka is great-my second favorite after Iroh.- He's wonderful for comic relief plus he's full of ideas- not all of them good ones mind you- that he doesn't mind trying out and he doesn't let the fact that he has no bending power at all get him down. He doesn't let much get him down. (In that respect he's a lot like my boyfriend- except I've yet to see a goose attack my boyfriend's head) I think Sokka's best moment- and most meaningful was [spoiler]In the final episode of Season One: Seige of the North Pole. When Yue died in his arms then came back as the moon spirit and they kissed before she dissapeared[/spoiler] I cried when that happened![/color]

[quote name='Athena'][color=indigo][size=1]I never cared for Katara. [spoiler]And did anyone else notice that she "fell" for several of the male characters??? Or am I just being resentful, lol[/spoiler][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Well Katara is like... hmm I don't know. I mean I do like pairing her with Zuko. But sometimes she is such a drama queen! Ugh. And it's not exactly that she fell for every male character (okay except for Jet and Haru and then [spoiler]She wound up with Aang at the end of the series and I'm sure some of us were like: Whoa what the hells?[/spoiler] I don't know if I felt resentful. I just thought that maybe she should have just not tried as hard. Even if Jet did fall for her first.

So I covered most of the characters. But what about Azula? Anyone want to comment on her?[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]
So I covered most of the characters. But what about Azula? Anyone want to comment on her?[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]*raises hand*

I do agree that the characters in this show are well developed and always evolving which I think even comes down to Azula. I mean, it could have been just too easy to unintentionally slap together an evil power-hungry woman and call her a villain. Azula has her moments where I can believe she has some actual human emotion while still being an evil power-hungry woman.

I felt this way a little bit during the beach episode, but more so during the series finale. Azula at this point is just priceless. [spoiler] Complete insanity was about the only thing that would make me feel sad for her, and this is what we get. I never really liked Azula, but I still feel bad for her downward spiral into paranoia and delusion to the point of seeing her dead mother through the mirror[/spoiler] Which reminds me of another thing.

In regards to Zuko's and Azula's mom. [spoiler] We couldn't get a little bit of just a verbal confirmation of her well being instead of just being up to our interpretations? Wtf? This is like my biggest question I wanted answered in this show.[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='desertphoenix'][FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
I do agree that the characters in this show are well developed and always evolving which I think even comes down to Azula. I mean, it could have been just too easy to unintentionally slap together an evil power-hungry woman and call her a villain. Azula has her moments where I can believe she has some actual human emotion while still being an evil power-hungry woman.

I felt this way a little bit during the beach episode, but more so during the series finale. Azula at this point is just priceless. [spoiler] Complete insanity was about the only thing that would make me feel sad for her, and this is what we get. I never really liked Azula, but I still feel bad for her downward spiral into paranoia and delusion to the point of seeing her dead mother through the mirror[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=indigo]Yeah, tell me about it. I never really cared for Azula throughout the entire series. I believe she got was she deserved, but in a way, I am a bit sympathetic to the way she went down. It's too bad, she could've been such a better person. She did have her moments when I questioned if she would lighten up; I kind of rooted for her to overcome herself.....but then, it wouldn't have been so dramatic and intense of a show if there wasn't some opposing rivalry. Zuko and Azula's battle at the end was just...WOW. [spoiler]He totally knew he could defeat her. I think she started to lose her mind when Mai and Ty Lee betrayed her.[/spoiler] Which was a total shocker! I think my jaw hit the coffee table when I saw that episode. [/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]Well I never thought Azula would make a turn around. No matter how much I watched the show. Especially when I watched [B]The Storm[/B] (Great episode. It offers insight into the characters of Aang and Zuko. I highly recommend it) over and over [spoiler]That look and that evil smile that she had during the Agni Kai scene when Ozai scarred Zuko[/spoiler] was more than enough to prove that she was never going to be one of those villains who would see the error of her ways. Nope she was destined to be evil and conniving forever. Just look at everything she put her friends and Zuko through in the final two seasons.

I just never expected her demise to be that extreme I was in shock watching the final of the four episodes. [spoiler]I seriously did not expect her to go completely barking mad like that by thinking everyone was against her, accusing one of her attendants of trying to kill her by[/spoiler] and here's where the crazy starts to break through [spoiler][i][b]leaving a pit in her cherry![/i][/b] and seeing Fire Lady Ursa in the mirror. I did crack up tho when she tried to bannish Lo and keep Li. She couldn't tell the two of them apart! Yeah that was classic[/spoiler]

BUt does anyone besides me wonder how Azula got so twisted and corrupted? My guess is she probably got it from her father. You know that Ozai wasn't exactly a model parent. Just look at how he treated Zuko. But maybe we can't really blame Ozai considering how his father was. Fire Lady Ira must've been some kind of Saint or [spoiler]Lu Ten's death during the seige of Ba Sing Se must have really done something to turn Iroh around[/spoiler] for Iroh to turn out so totally awesome :love:

Seems to me though that Azula has some serious daddy issues. Too bad we'll never get to explore them[/color]

I doubt we'll ever know what truly warped Azula, my guess would be it started as a sibling rivalry. Then evolved when she had difficulties taking down the Avatar, that sort've took her 'down to Zuko's level'.

Of course that only escalated as the number of escapes increased and the number of failed battles with the Avatar increased. To me they did a pretty good job of showing her descent into madness, without making it a plot point.

[size=1]How do you guys feel about [url=http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/more-anger-about-avatar.html][b]the controversy surrounding the upcoming live-action Avatar film[/b][/url]?

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]There's controversy? Or is it the casting that you're talking about?

Edit: My bad... Didn't know that was a link.

Edit 2: First thought that came to mind... LOL at the picture. Now that's out of the way. Err.. I do see why people are upset, but then again "shrugs". It is hollywood afterall, so I really didn't expect anything good when I heard there was going to be a movie in the first place. Honestly, I already don't have any intentions on watching the movie, so obviously the casting choices don't phase me. (Jesse McCartney with a burned face is still in my head though.)

Is it just Aang people are upset about, or is it the cast in general?[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]I didn't think this was worthy of another thread, but I'm not really fond of a lot of cartoon and anime series being turned into live action movies as if this is the only way that they can be taken as serious. I feel this way mainly with Akira and Cowboy Bebop, which I really don't think the spirit of the shows can be done justice in live action. Maybe in the drama, but probably not in the visual eye-candy.

Then also comes the controversies of the casting. First a white Goku, a yellow Piccolo, and I guess now the upcoming Avatar movie. Me personally am not offended, since I know they are not trying to do something like deliberately making fun of a nationality. I'm happy that we came a long way since black face, but I guess there are still some shady areas. I know the Avatar is based on Asian culture, but also is a fantasy world. This doesn't excuse it, but I don't think you can hold too much against them.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well I really didn't get to into the article but I guess you could always look at it as the Avatar itself, while specifically is about the 4 elements, is really about diversity in itself. People from different countries who look different working together for a common goal....

Now I guess that's one way to look at it, I do have to agree with Pheonix when he says that it's most likely unintentional.

That movie isn't going to be great, that much is true. More then likely it will tank and be one of the many movies that spends about a week in theatres and then is in the $5 DVD bin at your local Walbogs. So getting worked up over it is pointless.

I say if you're offended, go to the premiere dressed as your favorite character and buy tickets for the other movies. That'll show umm....

[size=1][color=indigo]A white Aang? It can't be done!! Then again, they said a black man will never be President of the USA....

True, Avatar is based on Asian culture, and I'm sure the movie will reflect that; regardless of what color the skin of the actor is. In my opinion, the cast they have set up (that I've seen so far) do resemble the cartoon characters. Just send them to a tanning both (for Katara and Sokka) and there you go. Instant Southern Water Tribe. :D

I understand why Asians would be "offended" [and angry]. And I think they have the right to be upset. But I don't think it's anything to go boycotting against. Don't go see the movie, plain and simple, if you're upset. I know I'm going to end up seeing the movie just because I'm a fan of the cartoon. I don't hold high hopes, not because of the cast "controversy", but because of the director. I can't stand his style and movies, so.....*shrug* We'll just see.

Anyway, Azula. I think her issues began when they were children. Her mother showed more affection for Zuko than her, and that really ate her inside. To little girls, they really look to their mom for everything and want their love and affection more than anything. So to be denied (well, Azula was never really [i]denied[/i]) that could really mess a girl up. Azula seemed to always be rotten, but I'm sure seeing her mom lavish over Zuko didn't help. Then she's very competative in [b]everything[/b] she does. And that could also break someone down as well. So competative that you can't relax and just have a great time. We saw that on Ember Island.[/size][/color]

[font=trebuchet ms] The recent open casting call just showed me how ignorant the people involved with this are:

"Also, note the casting director’s comments about what actors should wear to the auditions. She says that if you’re Korean, wear a Kimono, and if you’re Belgian, wear Lederhosen. Hmm… Kimonos are JAPANESE, not Korean, and Lederhosen are definitely NOT Belgian."

I mean seriously, way to try and diversify the cast but end up making an *** of yourself.

Also M. Night needs to stop making movies. Goddamn. [i]The Happening[/i] made me want to vomit all over the place.

James Cameron's [i]Avatar[/i] ftw.
[/font]

[SIZE="1"]Right somewhere after about the bajillionth badly attempted Irish accent in Hollywood films (where they don't automatically cast a Scottish actor assuming it's the same accent) I've lost the ability to empathise with people about badly done ethnic casting.

It's being directed by perhaps one of the worst directors in Hollywood M. Night "What a Twist" Shyamalan so any hopes of a good film should be parked at the door. Fans of Dragonball utterly derided the idea that a live-action film could ever match the animated series so I see the same complaints arising there (seriously if you think messing up dark or Asian skin is bad, screwing up green with antennae should be a death penalty by comparison). All in all I don't see what all the hubbub is about, really I'd be more worried about M. Shite penning the next film.

Oh and yes I am actually an Avatar fan, thought I might need to mention that.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]
Also M. Night needs to stop making movies. Goddamn. [i]The Happening[/i] made me want to vomit all over the place.
[/font][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=indigo]'nuff said. I didn't see that one, but [i]The Village[/i] had the same affect.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Athena'][size=1][color=indigo]'nuff said. I didn't see that one, but [i]The Village[/i] had the same affect.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[color=teal][font=curlz mt][size=7]R[/color][/size][/font][color=#9933ff]eally I think all his movies are crap. All that drama build up then poof, it's machinery!

But back to the topic at hand I think they should do some re-casting for the avatar movie if they intend to make any real money from it and not upset millions of fangirls (Yeah... fangirls= scary) But then again it's hollywood and these people allowed Gigli and Waterworld to be produced so let's not be too suprised.

Note: Post will be better after sleep[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=teal][font=curlz mt][size=7]R[/color][/size][/font][color=#9933ff]eally I think all his movies are crap. All that drama build up then poof, it's machinery!

[/color][/QUOTE]

Though we could do a whole thread on him I do have to say the [I]Idea[/I] of the Villiage was a good one, the follow through was dissapointing to say the least.

I can't fully agree with [B]The Happening[/B] being a bad movie, again it was a great concept that's poorly excecuted. I think if M. Night would get involved with a company with good production quality, his movies would be much better.

Okay topic at hand....really didn't have much to add. Though I still don't think ANYBODY should be offended, of course the casting director's comments (igorant as they may be) were not meant to offend in anyway. Though Korean's and Japanesse alike would be offended no matter what was said (From what I learned while being TDY over there, neither one cares for the other)