Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Math is a LIE!!!


Recommended Posts

Posted
My older brother just sent me an e-mail.... He thinks that math is a lie... look at his work do you agree?

[QUOTE]
Given
(1) X = Y
Multiply both sides by X
(2) X^2 = XY
Subtract Y^2 from both sides
(3) X^2 - Y^2 = XY - Y^2
Factor both sides
(4) (X+Y)(X-Y) = Y(X-Y)
Cancel out common factors
(5) (X+Y) = Y
Substitute in from line (1)
(6) Y+Y = Y
Collect the Y's
(7) 2Y = Y
Divide both sides by Y
(8) 2 = 1

This is why Math as we know it is a lie. This also proves I have way too much free time.....maybe thats a good thing or maybe it's not...its too early to tell.

Cheers
Dan the toooooo much free time man [/quote]
Posted
[color=blue] Yes, this is false. There's a flaw in it.Given [/color]
(1) X = Y
Multiply both sides by X
(2) X^2 = XY
Subtract Y^2 from both sides
(3) X^2 - Y^2 = XY - Y^2
Factor both sides
(4) (X+Y)(X-Y) = Y(X-Y) [color=blue] (x+y)=y(x-y) ----->(1+1)=1(1-1)--------->2=0. You cannot divide zero, it's undefine. If you're know what I mean. Someone probably have a better explaination, I can't explain it on the computer. [/color]
Cancel out common factors
(5) (X+Y) = Y
Substitute in from line (1)
(6) Y+Y = Y
Collect the Y's
(7) 2Y = Y
Divide both sides by Y
(8) 2 = 1
Posted
Good work
But if you keep letters only and odont substitute in till the end it still works and if we used calculus on it we get 0=1

:babble:
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cloud [/i]
[B]My older brother just sent me an e-mail.... He thinks that math is a lie... look at his work do you agree?

[/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Sorry... I cannot read algebra... but I write it and then don't understand it after :p

Clever trick cloud... heh... and you knew someone would figure it out? You callin' us bunch of idiots CLEVER?! We are :D:D[/SIZE]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cloud [/i]
[B]Damn you,

I knew someone would figue out the flaw.... Thats why i posted it.... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] Sorry, if I make you mad, but you don't have to swear at me [/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cloud [/i]
[B]Good work
But if you keep letters only and odont substitute in till the end it still works and if we used calculus on it we get 0=1

:babble: [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] I know, but that's illegal work. [/color]
Guest Dark Man X
Posted
I hate math! I used to be so good at it. I think that that problem was just a problem with no solution. There [i]are[/i] such problems like that.
Guest Voodookanaka
Posted
Theres no justified reason behind Y=X in the first place.
I mean....just because you rearrange it for a long time it still doesnt change the fact that 1=1 2=2 and that for X and Y both can be C.r.v.

At the end if u -1Y from each side u get: Y=0 whic sums up the whole equation.
Posted
He probably made this up in his head. It might be right or it might not. It looks right to me though. Although I think there is something wrong with 4.

Everything before this was before I read moriningdews post.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cecil [/i]
[B]He probably made this up in his head. It might be right or it might not. It looks right to me though. Although I think there is something wrong with 4.

Everything before this was before I read moriningdews post. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] I can tell you that he didn't make it up in his head. [/color]
Posted
You right mornigndew, he didn't make it up in his head. He made it up using his head and a pencil and a sheat of paper (or a computer).
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cecil [/i]
[B]You right mornigndew, he didn't make it up in his head. He made it up using his head and a pencil and a sheat of paper (or a computer). [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=blue] Actually, I saw this math problem before, so it's not originate from him [/color]
Posted
Um... after a certain point, there would be no reason to continue, and that point is right there...

Given
(1) X = Y
Multiply both sides by X
(2) X^2 = XY
Subtract Y^2 from both sides
(3) X^2 - Y^2 = XY - Y^2 ------ [b]LOOK: if they equaled each other, X^2 - Y^2 would equal 0, and the same for the other side. Therefore you would have no reason to continue past this point.[/b]
Factor both sides
(4) (X+Y)(X-Y) = Y(X-Y)
Cancel out common factors
(5) (X+Y) = Y
Substitute in from line (1)
(6) Y+Y = Y
Collect the Y's
(7) 2Y = Y
Divide both sides by Y
(8) 2 = 1

[edit] I just saw something else. I don't see how (X+Y)(X-Y) would equal X^2 - Y^2... That makes no sense either.
Posted
Um, I hate Science. And math is a lie it has been clinically proven by my point of view. Not many people notice this but the computers stick in trick questions which we don't realise... Oh well, it never get in our heads anyway it just kinda comes in then out, but for some reason I'm pretty good at it. (Dont mean to sound Big Headed)
Posted
[COLOR=purple]um... I uh.. ehhh *whines*[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]um, Alice and I got lost on step ... 2... [/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]shaddap... i did not! it was step 3!!!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]my bad[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]genius[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]anyways..[/COLOR] [COLOR=purple]right.. oh yeah, um, I Do Swear, That In My Career As A Professional Actress, I Will Never Need To Figure Out X=Y[/COLOR]
[COLOR=green]that was beautiful[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]thank you[/COLOR]
Posted
Math is not a lie.... most people who try to proove it just don't know how to do it.. there are Math laws you know... math works... 100%.... only if you follow the laws... it's like... the Pythagorean Theorm only works with right triangles... thus that is a law.... alot of math is undefined simply because it cannot be done, like the above.... math is not a lie, simply done incorrectly :p

Sorry if I sounded mean or rude, It wasn't meant to be.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]it's like... the Pythagorean Theorm only works with right triangles... thus that is a law...[/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]My teacher once told me that if anyone I knew mentioned the Pythagorean Theorem outside of class, he'd give me a dollar....

Too bad I don't go to that school anymore...[/FONT] :p
Posted
By the way:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
*eyes Cera's last post*
Wanna go halfsies? My mom and I complain about that theorem all the time.
And if [i]anyone[/i] tries to tell me that math is FUN, that it is freaking GOOD FOR YOU, then you can KISS M--
kiss my gerbil, uh yeah, that's what I meant.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]By the way:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
*eyes Cera's last post*
Wanna go halfsies? My mom and I complain about that theorem all the time.
And if [i]anyone[/i] tries to tell me that math is FUN, that it is freaking GOOD FOR YOU, then you can KISS M--
kiss my gerbil, uh yeah, that's what I meant. [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Uh, [i][huh.[/i] Well, introduce me to him, some time....:p

I'm evil, but you love me anyway, don't you?[/FONT]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]
And if [i]anyone[/i] tries to tell me that math is FUN, that it is freaking GOOD FOR YOU[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]You sound like my friend Johanna! She refuses to use the F word...so she replaces it with "freaking" in about every sentence that comes out of her mouth.

Hehe...the resemblance is remarkable...[/color]
Posted
Nobody needs too know maths. You don't need it to live, unless you want a good job, which I do.So I will be learning maths...............

And that's that!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...