OtakuBoards

An Ode to Pussy [E-L]

Charles

I never write odes. I looked up the rhyme scheme and form on a web site so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Anyway, here's what I have. lol

[B][u]An Ode to Pussy[/u][/B]

As I gaze into your almond-shaped eyes
Their emerald hue enforces attention
Culling sympathy you release soft cries
A lucid script--yet beyond comprehension
I admit, fair pussy, you are my weakness
I cannot stay faithful--I love all kinds
Short-haired or silky, I?ll stroke the fine texture
I dote on minimal grooming but also sleakness
Woe to us who can?t get pussy off our minds
Firm, muscular, tender, O? what architecture!

Some pussies are unclean, like strays
These should be treated with much alarm!
What looks inviting is mean--what deceptive ways!
Don?t nuzzle a dirty pussy, they can do only harm!
But, to see milk drip from thine supple lips is sweet rapture
A world without you rubbing against my leg
Is one that cannot keep my attention erect
You gild mischief--evidenced by the balls you capture!
Unlike my other pets, you refuse to beg
You are quite regal, I your loyal subject.

Sometimes when you climb atop my lap
And whisper contently upon my knee
I speak gentle words, we cuddle and nap
I fall to you and you to me
Some say pussy should be eaten
The drum my senses hear cries outright
One should whet their appetites elsewhere please
Pussies are fine creatures, but I?ll take my meat beaten
Spare cats, eat turkey if you prefer your meat white
Be kind to all pussy--Persian, Calico, or Siamese.

Charles, when you first mentioned this to me in class earlier today, I knew to expect something good, but this is fantastic! I wish I had that Brick Tamland sound byte...:(

Anyway, you've surpassed my expectations. You really never disappoint. I enjoy pussy, too. But I'm allergic to cats. ~_^

[b][size=1]Brilliant... absolutely brilliant![/size][/b]

[b][size=1]Put it to music and it will become a pussy-lover's anthem, to be sure...:animesmil [/size][/b]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[b][size=1]I love pussies, too, but they can get a little messy sometimes...[/size][/b]

[QUOTE=James][color=#B0251E]That simultaneously intrigues and disgusts me.
[/color][/QUOTE]

*laughs*

What James said, it's exactly what I was feeling. ^_~

Mhm. I've said this to you before, I am very much impressed by your way with words. I know I couldn't pull off a fraction of what you can do with any style.

I liked the ambiguity throughout the poem. It takes on an obvious sexual meaning, but all at once, it also has its simpler meaning. The last stanza, however, ruins all this: it focuses [i]only[/i] on the simpler meaning and obliterates the sexual meaning in one fell stroke, telling the reader this poem is about cats, and cats only. I think you should keep the ambiguity and the double meaning going. It's already purposefully there, so why destroy it?

Other than that, it's written very tightly,your words are chosen well. Great job.

[QUOTE=Mitch]I liked the ambiguity throughout the poem. It takes on an obvious sexual meaning, but all at once, it also has its simpler meaning. The last stanza, however, ruins all this: it focuses [i]only[/i] on the simpler meaning and obliterates the sexual meaning in one fell stroke, telling the reader this poem is about cats, and cats only. I think you should keep the ambiguity and the double meaning going. It's already purposefully there, so why destroy it?

Other than that, it's written very tightly,your words are chosen well. Great job.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just thought I should clarify one point though. I'd have to disagree that the last stanza ruins anything because this poem isn't about sex. It's about cats. When I read this poem, I'm reading a poem strictly pertaining to cats. If the reader conjures up any other meaning, well, then that's because they're choosing to do so. lol

So, I don't want there to be a double meaning that's up for interpretation. I want it to be very clear to readers what this poem is about.

[QUOTE=Charles]Thanks. I just thought I should clarify one point though. I'd have to disagree that the last stanza ruins anything because this poem isn't about sex. It's about cats. When I read this poem, I'm reading a poem strictly pertaining to cats. If the reader conjures up any other meaning, well, then that's because they're choosing to do so. lol

So, I don't want there to be a double meaning that's up for interpretation. I want it to be very clear to readers what this poem is about.[/QUOTE]

Well, the way the poem is written makes the reader think of other things if the reader chooses to.

Take this for example:

[quote]Some pussies are unclean, like strays
These should be treated with much alarm!
What looks inviting is mean--what deceptive ways!
Don?t nuzzle a dirty pussy, they can do only harm!
But, to see milk drip from thine supple lips is sweet rapture
A world without you rubbing against my leg
Is one that cannot keep my attention erect
You gild mischief--evidenced by the balls you capture!
Unlike my other pets, you refuse to beg
You are quite regal, I your loyal subject.[/quote]

"But to see milk drip from thine supple lips is sweet rapture." "You gilld mischief--evidenced by the balls you capture." "Is one that cannot keep my attention erect."

It goes on in the whole poem. It's there if you look.

It's unavoidable, actually, unless it were a child reading this. Although you've stated your intentions with this poem were for it to be about cats, and cats only, a reader will make a poem their own. Therefore they'll conclude its sexual meaning. It's there and if you wanted it to be only about cats, you should try to avoid that sexual meaning.

If you want it to be very clear to a reader what this poem is about, then take the measures necessary to do so: use a different word other than "pussy," get rid of lines, or rework lines, like I showed above (they're all over the poem if you just look). Otherwise you're powerless to stop it - the reader will make the poem their own despite your intentions. It's your job as a writer to make the meaning as clear as you want to; and with this poem you haven't, except for in the last stanza.

That would remove the fun from it. I like it when people think of dirty things only to realize at the very end that what they were reading isn't actually the naughty subject matter they were initially picturing, but instead something quite innocent. I want an "oh!" reaction when they realize that there's absolutely no dirty language here. They can then go back and read it another way.

I'm intentionally manipulating people in a way--and because of that, I think it's necessary to be absolutely clear in the end regarding what I'm talking about. That's not to say that I hate your initial suggestion or don't find it valuable though. I can definitely see what you're saying and I would apply it to the poem if I didn't have a specific agenda in mind. If I did follow through with your idea, I'd be willing to gamble that most people wouldn't have cats in mind at all, however. lol

[QUOTE=Charles]That would remove the fun from it. I like it when people think of dirty things only to realize at the very end that what they were reading isn't actually the naughty subject matter they were initially picturing, but instead something quite innocent. I want an "oh!" reaction when they realize that there's absolutely no dirty language here. They can then go back and read it another way.

I'm intentionally manipulating people in a way--and because of that, I think it's necessary to be absolutely clear in the end regarding what I'm talking about. That's not to say that I hate your initial suggestion or don't find it valuable though. I can definitely see what you're saying and I would apply it to the poem if I didn't have a specific agenda in mind. If I did follow through with your idea though, I'd be willing to gamble that most people wouldn't have cats in mind at all, however. lol[/QUOTE]

Well, I took your last post in a different way than I should have. It's obvious you purposely put in the sexual meaning to make it more fun, but your last post made it sound as if you didn't intend to have a sexual meaning at all: that you wanted the poem to clearly state it was about cats, which the poem doesn't do except for the last stanza. But anyway I really like the poem the way it is now. Its double meaning is what makes it so good to me: how you can look at each line and see them in different ways.

[quote name='Mitch']Well, I took your last post in a different way than I should have. It's obvious you purposely put in the sexual meaning to make it more fun, but your last post made it sound as if you didn't intend to have a sexual meaning at all: that you wanted the poem to clearly state it was about cats, which the poem doesn't do except for the last stanza. But anyway I really like the poem the way it is now. Its double meaning is what makes it so good to me: how you can look at each line and see them in different ways.[/quote]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/TheVampireEd/ShutYourMouth.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

[COLOR=Red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mitch, I'm going to put this as nicely as possibly--shut up!

LOL, sorry but you're killing the mood and ruining all the fun of Charles' Ode. It's meant to be funny, and it's meant to be full of double meanings and sexual innuendo. This can't possibly be the first poem you've read from Charles because this is something he does quite often in his poems. Why do you have to read too much into to things, and why do you think you should be giving Charles advice or pointers? No offense, but he has been doing fantastic without your help before, and he'll probably keep doing better without it. He's a superb writer as it is.

Anyway, Charles, it was quite hilarious and your descriptions made it hard to read without laughing almost every line. Awesome work, and definitely post some more for everyone to read.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=The Vampire: Ed][CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/TheVampireEd/ShutYourMouth.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

[COLOR=Red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mitch, I'm going to put this as nicely as possibly--shut up!

LOL, sorry but you're killing the mood and ruining all the fun of Charles' Ode. It's meant to be funny, and it's meant to be full of double meanings and sexual innuendo. This can't possibly be the first poem you've read from Charles because this is something he does quite often in his poems. Why do you have to read too much into to things, and why do you think you should be giving Charles advice or pointers? No offense, but he has been doing fantastic without your help before, and he'll probably keep doing better without it. He's a superb writer as it is.

Anyway, Charles, it was quite hilarious and your descriptions made it hard to read without laughing almost every line. Awesome work, and definitely post some more for everyone to read.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I was just trying to say something more than just what you did: just saying he did a good job and blah blah blah. Oh well.

I may not be as good a writer as he is, he may be a superb writer, but there is always room for more improvement, and I'm certain he didn't post this up here just for people to say, "pussies and stuffz!111! omg lolz!111 liek its about sex!1111111 lolz111111111111111111111!!1" I was simply trying to give him more than that, because he deserved it.

But I guess he'll probably be better off without me saying anything. Apparently that's your take on it.

Vampire: Ed, I'm going to try and put this as nicely as possible -- the only way I'll shut up is if you put a silencer on this gun called my mouth!

[COLOR=Navy]eh....I hope I don't upset anyone with my 'happy-go-lucky' kind of post. >_>

Anyways, I really liked that poem lol. I definately thought that it was about cats and nothing but cats. Come on, Charles is the only guy I know that is crazy about cats...why wouldn't he write a poem about a 'pussy?'

I guess that I may be a bit too innocent, lol.

Anyways, this is pretty good for an Ode, Charlie. I loved this poem a lot....like all of your poems and stories. I can't wait to read the next poem you write! ^_^[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Mitch]I was just trying to say something more than just what you did: just saying he did a good job and blah blah blah. Oh well.

I may not be as good a writer as he is, he may be a superb writer, but there is always room for more improvement, and I'm certain he didn't post this up here just for people to say, "pussies and stuffz!111! omg lolz!111 liek its about sex!1111111 lolz111111111111111111111!!1" I was simply trying to give him more than that, because he deserved it.

But I guess he'll probably be better off without me saying anything. Apparently that's your take on it.

Vampire: Ed, I'm going to try and put this as nicely as possible -- the only way I'll shut up is if you put a silencer on this gun called my mouth![/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Haha, good your getting into it now. Now, it's not simply saying "Great job, nice work, cool, lolzers, yadda, yadda, yadda..." or whatever else there is to say. It's always good to add an opinion as well, but your initial post shows that you just don't get his sense of humor. I mean it's pretty bad that he has to explain it to you when it so obvious to everyone else at what he was working at with his Ode. You just try to think too much into things that just don't need it, and it kills the initial fun of the topic. Also, even though he posted it I can assure you it wasn't to get advice he doesn't need. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Seriously, I read tons and tons of his stuff and when he posts something that you're supposed to overanalyze you'll know it--but right now it's just not necessary. Sit back and have fun with it.

Now--as for that mouth of yours... *stuffs crackers in Mitch's mouth*

Yeah, try talking with your mouth full of saltine! Heh. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=deeppink][size=1]Whoa, anger much? Chill out guys.

Charles, I think you're sick. But your sickness amuses me.

PS: I do not feel compelled to add anymore to this post because I believe the poem's primary purpose was to get some laughs. And it has, and I've stated that. Don't really need to go into deep discussion about it. ;)[/size][/color]

[color=#9933ff]I knew from the beginning that you were talking about cats, but in the second stanza, I clearly understood the effect you were going for - to induce the reader into a more sexual meaning of the poem, and then, at the last line, the joke's on them for thinking dirty. I don't often go into Anthology so I don't see your work too often unless you point it out to me, but great job on this. =)[/color]

I'm not so great that I don't need advice. No one is. We'd never improve with that philosophy.

The best replies are the ones that help me improve my work. Drix offered a really good reply in my "Walking Shoes" thread for example that I really appreciated. Although that poem didn't garner as many replies as this one, there was a quality there that made it just as valuable.

Although I love it when people tell me they've enjoyed what I've written and find it humorous (if it's the intended purpose), I'd still say that it's possible to go into this poem and have a complex line-by-line discussion. It's interesting how some readers only see cats when they go through this poem, and how others immediately draw other conclusions; it's neat to explore the reasons for that within each individual.

The most beautiful thing about language is its versatility; it can be spun in so many different ways and say just as much about the reader as the writer upon interpretation.

[color=#B0251E]I think the confusion comes about when Charles implied that he didn't intend for the poem to have a double-meaning, when he must have. lol

It's not just this poem, but it's also other poems by Charles (such as the skateboarding poem), which have had deliberate and obvious double meanings.

From what I remember, the skateboarding poem was obvious but in a sense it was a little more subtle. This poem jumps between multiple subjects from line to line and in doing so, it does occasionally come across as a very strong attempt to include specific sex-related words (ie: balls or erect or whatever).

[i]So[/i], I think Charles' intention has really been fulfilled here. The poem is about cats. But it also has undeniably strong sexual overtones, which give it a humorous quality that people will or won't appreciate.

I like that Charles specified that it was about cats at the end, though. Had he not, I think it would have had less purpose as a poem. I mean, it would have come across more as a raw excuse to simply include as many dual-purpose words as possible in one poem. At least this way, it [i]does[/i] speak about a particular subject and there is the implication that the writer's double-meanings are not intentional. That in itself seems to be part of the joke, as if the reader should feel bad for thinking such naughty things. And that additionally makes the poem all the more clever, really.[/color]