OtakuBoards

What Albums Are You Looking Forward To?

Charon

As you can probably infer from the title, what albums are you looking forward to hearing in 2005?

[i]MTV Unplugged[/i] [b](Alicia Keys)[/b]: Her live shows are killer, and I've heard great things about her accoustic performances. I own all of her albums, and I can't wait to add this to my collection. She's a true artist - anything she does is terrififc.
Sometime this spring, maybe summer.
Not quite sure what she's going to preform.

[i]Khulami Phase[/i] [b](Lauryn Hill)[/b]: I've been waiting for info about this album. She filmed a music video in August, worked with Kanye West earlier this year, and, according to a supposed track listing I found on the internet, Kelis, Beyonce, Stephen Marley, the Wailers, and the Fugees all make appearances. Apparently, the album is headed for a reggae/soul/R&B direction, unlike the Grammy-winning hip hop of [i]The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill[/i]. After hearing what Kanye did with John Legend (incredible album), I expect great things.
No release date yet; hopefully by this summer.
I hope she hurries up and finishes so they can get to work on another Fugee album (as Wyclef hinted); the two recently preformed Fugee songs at a tsunami benefit concert in Maylasia (I think).

[i]Monkey Business[/i] [b](Black Eyed Peas)[/b]: [i]Elephunk[/i] was my favorite album of 2003. I'm expecting the same thing from them again. Collaborations include James Brown, John Legend (few people know he sang the chorus on [i]Elephunk's[/i] "The Boogie That Be"), and some other guitarist guy.
I was little dissapointed they didn't get to collaborate with the Darkness like they planned. That would have been crazy.
Album will be released sometime in May.
[b]New single available on iTunes![/b] "Don't Phunk With My Heart' is a great song, but their sound has evolved so much since their first album. But if I like it, I like it.

Missy Elliot: No title available yet.
Missy is one of the most incredible hip hop artists of this day. I was dissapointed that This Is Not A Test was her only album not to go platinum. I thought that was one of her best yet.
The only album of hers I did not like was [i]Da Real World[/i]. It was a little boring, since it followed a similar style of [i]Supa Dupa Fly[/i]; But after [i]So Addictive[/i] came out, everything is original and fresh. I can't even begin to imagine what she's going to pull off next.
Hopefully however, the material she contributed to Gwen Stefani's album (that never made the final cut) will be on her album. Ciara (who, by the way, was never a hermaphrodite) is going to rap on it, and Fantasia might be on it.
She claims this is her best album yet.
Due to June 28th (finally, a date on this list).

I already got the one I was most excited for, Guero by Beck.

I wrote a thing about this on my website, I might as well post it here... save myself the work since I'd just be saying the same things. I'll change some of it since it's out of date now... Stuff was released such as Queens of the Stone Age's Lullabies to Paralyze, The Bravery's self-titled and Bloc Party's Silent Alarm.

Millencolin - Kingwood: April 12th.I loved their last album, Home From Home. It was a great mix of all sorts of rock styles, resulting in something fun and successful. The leak of Kingwood seems like a nice mix of that album and Pennybridge Pioneers, which is largely considered their best work.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth: May 3rd. About four/five songs have leaked out from this album over the last several weeks, each of varying recording quality. It's been over six years since the last "real" LP (I'm not going to count And All That Could Have Been or Still), so the anticipation is kind of high. Sadly, from what I've heard, my excitement has been knocked down quite a bit. We'll see. The bootlegs of recent live shows are a bit more exciting, so it might turn out nicely.

System of a Down - Hypnotize: May 17th.Two albums are hitting the stores from these guys this year. They had no plans to do a double album, but I guess they felt they had so many great tracks that they're going to do two releases within the year. The second one, Mezermize, is hitting sometime around September, last I heard. Toxicity was amazingly good and I'm only expecting good things.

30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie: ???. Apparently the CD is finished (or close to being finished). I have no idea when the release date is, however, and the site does not mention it either. 30 Seconds to Mars' self-titled debut was excellent and really killed off the whole "actors can't make good music" stigma that covers any release of its type. Good job, Jared Leto.

Team Sleep - (Untitled): Who knows when in 2005. A side project for Chino, frontman of The Deftones. I have no clue what this one is going to sound like, but The Deftones have just gotten better and better over the years (well, mostly). I also have no clue if it's even still set for this release date. Last I saw it didn't even have a title yet. We'll see about that.

There's already been some great stuff released in 2005 already other than the ones I mentioned before. Beck's Hell Yes EP, EP from Fiery Furnaces, Some Cities by The Doves, Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta, Black Mountain's self-titled, Six Organs of Admittance's School of the Flower, Antony and The Johnsons' I Am a Bird Now, LCD Soundsystem's self-titled, Iron and Wine's Woman King EP, Superwolf from Matt Sweeney and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, etc. I've also heard good things about an album from a group called Shining, but I've not got to listen to that yet, sadly.

[COLOR=DarkGreen]well im not sure who all is comnig out with albums this year, but this is my list so far...

NIN-With Teeth
DEFINETLY number one on my list of albums to get. I mean, Trent Reznor is a freakin god! He comes out with an album every, like, 5 years or so. He makes sure that what he releases is good. The Hand That Feeds is a really good song to.

Audioslave-(yet to be titled)
I like this new combination of Chris Cornell and the dudes from RATM. At first I wanted more of Tom Morello doing those crazy things on guitar, but now I think Audioslave has their own sound and I like it. The new single, Be Yourself, came out and I like it and cant wait for the new album.

Loser-???
I dont really know if there will be a new album coming out this year by these guys. I really dont know much about them except that its John 5s band(he was the old guitarist for Marylin Manson, and he is AMAZING) A friend told me that they have a new album coming out so Im very much looking forward to getting it.

Two-???
This is another one told to me by a friend. But if they are indeed releasing an album this year, it sounds like something I'd DEFINITELY buy. It has Trent Reznor, John 5, and i guy i think from Judas Priest. I just LOVE the idea of Reznor and John 5 together.

As for the new System Of A Down album...I have hope for it but Im not going to get my hopes up or anything. I mean they have gotten progressively worse, in my opinion. Their first album i was in love with and it just went downhill from there.

I also heard weezer was coming out with new one...so i hope thats good too.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=The Drizzle][COLOR=DarkGreen]Loser-???
I dont really know if there will be a new album coming out this year by these guys. I really dont know much about them except that its John 5s band(he was the old guitarist for Marylin Manson, and he is AMAZING) A friend told me that they have a new album coming out so Im very much looking forward to getting it.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Last I heard nothing has even really gone forward with that. The band is together, but they didn't really even have defined demos. Maybe things have changed, but regardless, I'm excited about it as well. The guy is a phenominal guitarist and I think it will be nice for him to be in a band where more of his playing will be utilized (as good as he was with Manson, their music doesn't really leave room for his bluegrass music, for example lol).

John5's album Vertigo, is pretty good, I think. I guess people can listen to that in the meantime heh.

As for System of a Down, they only have two real albums, so there's still a lot of room to work in. In my opinion, Toxicity was good for different reasons than their self-titled. Steal This Album doesn't even count as far as I'm concerned, since it's really just a b-sides/demos collection. I notice a lot of people count that as if it was a real studio LP. It's obviously not going to be as cohesive as a normal album. Still, I can understand why people prefer their first album to Toxicity.

My interest in the new NIN album is pretty much dead. I've honestly not heard all of it (no one really has), but I'm not big on what's out so far. It's good, but it's not as good as I was expecting and I'm finding that Trent's writing seems even more simple than usual. I'll wait for the final version to reserve judgement, but the hype for me has pretty much just gone away entirely.

NIN-With Teeth = I am really looking forward to this due to the fact that Trent rarely disappoints. However, I am not all that into the new single. But from what I have read, Trent said that song was a poor representation of the album. We'll see I guess.

30 Seconds to Mars- Beautiful Lie = I have listened to the first album so much that I am drooling for the follow up. I heard "I'll Attack" from the new album recently, very good. Hopefully that is a good representation of the other tracks on the album.

System of a Down-Mezmerize/Hypnotize = System of a Down is an awesome band and prooved they could amaze with Toxicity. I heard BYOB and Cigaro from the album(s) and they were extremely good. It sucks the release date was pushed back so far.

Metallica-??? = I have no clue when this is coming out. I just know I read recently that Metallica were preparing to go into the studio to record their follow up to St. Anger. I think this album will be somewhat of a return to the old Metallica. I think Rob is going to give them that edge that they seemed to have lost. We shall see.

I'm looking forward to the Hypnotize as well, I noticed there was lots of NIN fans here, someone has to explain to me whats good about them, I've listened to them and its basically slow and technoish :animesigh

[quote name='x kakashi x']I'm looking forward to the Hypnotize as well, I noticed there was lots of NIN fans here, someone has to explain to me whats good about them, I've listened to them and its basically slow and technoish :animesigh[/quote]

It depends a lot on what you've listened to. Every CD is substantially different. NIN has always been more about accessible industrial music than anything else. Some rock and metal influences. There's a good mix between slow and fast, overally.

I was really looking forward to "Lullabies That Paralyze" by Queens of the Stone Age but that just came out. White Stripes are releasing their new cd pretty soon, and I also heard that the Distillers and Red Hot Chili Peppers are coming out w/ a new cd soon, but I'm not sure. I also was told that AC/DC is recording right now, but I doubt that's true.

[quote name='TOTALIMMORTAL']I also was told that AC/DC is recording right now, but I doubt that's true.[/quote]

I've been hearing rumors of that for months now and I just recently got around to checking it out. There are reports of a 'definite' confirmation floating about on various fansites, but I haven't found out exactly where and when this was said. Hooray for poor sources. Apparently though, the album, if it is in fact being recorded, is coming out late this year, with a world tour scheduled to accompany its release.

[url]http://www.acdcpower.net/frame_news.html[/url]

Back on topic, there really aren't many albums that I'm anxiously awaiting now that I've picked up both Beck and Steve Vai's latest bits of work. :D And oh [i]yes[/i], they are wonderful.

[quote name='x kakashi x']I'm looking forward to the Hypnotize as well, I noticed there was lots of NIN fans here, someone has to explain to me whats good about them, I've listened to them and its basically slow and technoish :animesigh[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Well it isn't just the band that is great (i think so anyway), but the fact that Trent Reznor is amazing. He can play damn near [I]any[/I] instrument. But i could see your point too, i need to be in the right mood to listen to anything (i like all kinds of music, ranging from classic rock, new rock, punk, heavy/hardcore, even blues/jazz).

Anyway, there are some other bands that i hadn't mentioned before, that i am looking forward to (i just didn't feel like listing before).

[B]Loser[/B] and [B]Two[/B] i'm definately looking forward to, but i don't know when they are making any CD's. [B]Audioslave[/B] is good too, i just didn't know they were making a new CD (i liked RATM better though...). As for [B]System of a Down[/B], i fully agree with Drizzle. Their firts s/t CD was excellent. Then "Toxicity", which was good, but i didn't care for "Steal This Album" at all. First they will be making "Mezmerize" in May (if i'm not mistaken), then "Hypnotize" is set to come out in fall. All i've heard was Cigaro, and i'm not very impressed. [B]Mudvayne[/B] should also be making a new CD, but i'm a little iffy about that too. Then there's [B]Korn[/B]. Head announced that he would be lesving the band a while ago, but they are still going to finish the CD their working on, which will be due sometime in the fall.

As i said before though, i'm looking forward to [B]NIN[/B] more than any others right now. I heard The Hand That Feeds, and i loved it. Hope for more greats. :D [/COLOR]

Steal This Album was a collection of demos and b-sides from their entire career that they mastered because so many people were downloading the crappy versions off of the internet. They called it "Steal This Album" because they thought it was ironic that people would have to pay for something like that.

I think it's unfair to compare that to studio albums of theirs. None of these tracks were meant to be together on one disc. It's like someone thinking a band stinks because they don't like their remix album or a Greatest Hits collection.