OtakuBoards

House of Flying Daggers

Drizzt Do'urden

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I was wondering, I watched hero and throughly enjoyed it. Then from the same director(his name escapes me) comes out with House of Flying Daggers, could anybody tell me if this is worth seeing, or is this going to make me despise this director and never see another one of his movies again?[/quote]

I have seen both Hero and house of flying daggers and i wouldn't even bother watching house of flying daggers. It's not really that interesting, i prefer Hero. If the story between the characters was less confusing then it would of been better. In fact i go so bored watching House of flying daggers that i started to read my Nintendo magazine instead and ingored most of the ending, but i know what happened.
:animesmil Take my advice see the flim if you like a twisted love story that goes on and off through out the whole film or just stick to hero.

Or hows about a book instead? 'Lian hearns Across the nightingale floor' was good

i saw both as well.
I saw the flying dagger yesterday.
o.O << most used face during the movie.
Its really weird.. has a bad plot.. makes u think something then changes it completly .. it was sort of similiar to Crouching tiger hidden dragon..
i didnt like it..

I have heard various reviews for House of Flying Daggers. Some have said it was a pretty decent flick, while others have told me that they wouldn't watch it again no matter what. So yeah, I guess I would give it a shot with a rental.

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]I've never had a chance to see Hero, but I saw House of Flying Daggers and yes, it is a pretty decent movie with remarkable scenes. I particularly love the [B][COLOR=Plum]"echo game"[/COLOR][/B] and[COLOR=Plum][B] "bamboo forest"[/B] [/COLOR]sequences.

What I love about this film is the stunning music and, secondly, the beautiful visuals. Although there is an excessive amount of CGI used, I think the colorful and splendid cinematography compensates for that. [COLOR=Plum][B]I give it an A for picture and sounds.[/B][/COLOR]

As for the plot, I won't call it 'bad'. The plot is simple, love amidst a war, but it has great twist[B][COLOR=Plum]s[/COLOR][/B]. Towards the end of the movie, I think that the plot turned around to a completely different path. I actually should've expected it since it is a [B][COLOR=Plum]love [/COLOR][/B]story, after all. It's just that I expected a bit more because when the movie ended, it doesn't feel complete. Like, it should've tackled a bit more of the [spoiler]conflict between the government and the House of Flying Daggers[/spoiler], but it didn't.

Lastly, I heard and witnessed that the dialogue lacks sophistication that can be seen in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It sort of jumps from casual to graceful and back. Good narrative could've helped this film.

[QUOTE]From [URL=http://filmbrain.typepad.com/filmbrain/2004/10/nyff_review_hou.html]here[/URL].
House of Flying Daggers isn't a great film, but it hardly matters -- though the plot might be predictable and the ending a tad too overdramatic, it's a highly enjoyable, entertaining, richly cinematic two hours. Bring popcorn.[/QUOTE]
[B][COLOR=Plum]True[/COLOR][/B]. Also, it's a fun watch if you like this particular type of Asian films. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
I think seeing the movie is worth it. When I saw it I was expecting a Hong Kong action flick but boy was I wrong. The movie is more of a love story than anything. If you're expecting non stop action, then this movie isn't for you. By the end I could appreciate the movie for what it was worth. There was really good cinematography and yes the ending was kinda confusing. If you watch it twice or just think about it for a while, it really does make sense just fine.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I saw [B]Hero[/B] a few months back, and thought it has some of the finest cinematography of any film in the last few years. The story itself was mildly interesting, with enough twists to actually keep your mind focused on the developments between battles, although it could be definitely said that the one-on-one fights were the centrepiece to the whole film.

I haven't seen [B]House of Flying Daggers[/B] yet, although I'll probably rent it sometime in the next while when it comes out. The director of both films is Zhang Yimou [thanks to Movietome for the information] and from the trailers I've seen for it on television it seems to follow the same kind of pace that seems to have become standard in these kind of films.

I'd guess Hevn is probably right in the description, although I won't know until I actually see the film. [/SIZE]

Ehhh, House of Flying daggers is okay at best. As people earlier have said, it is much more of a love story than an action flick. The story line isn't terrible, but much could have been done to give it more "flesh". I think there are only a few true fight scenes in the movie and the last one isn't really that interesting. My final say is: It is worth renting, but you won't want to watch it more than once.