OtakuBoards

Romantic Anime

JenniKate

I'm looking for some new anime and am in the mood for things with romance... but I don't know what to buy! So I'm looking for your help.

I own some, one of which is Fushigi Yuugi.
This is a great romantic story, spanning to over 50 episodes.
It is the story of two girls from modern day Japan who are pulled into an ancient Chinese book - "The Universe of the Four Gods" They become main characters and the anime is the story of what happens to them and how they change as people.

The relationships between characters develop over the series and between these and the interaction with other characters and situations you see every possible emotion run through people.

If you know of any good romantic anime - or anime that are of a diffference genre but have a good romantic story then I'd love to hear about them and why you think they're good

cheers

Oh My Goddess is one of my favorites. The series is really short yet its done so it seems like so much has happened. Keichi is just absolutely blessed one day with the presence of Belldandy, which is my favorite goddess. Throughout the whole story, I just loved watching their relationship develop. The problem and resolution was done quite well. By the end I was on the edge of my seat just waiting to see what was going to happen. Definitely worth checking out.

[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]hmmmmm that's tough really but for romantic anime I would consider BIG O, last time one of my friends sister was at my house and see loved BIG O so she asked if see wanted to watch with me, besides see really loves Roger, and Dorathy together. (evan though shes a android.)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[b]Pretear:[/b] A dramatic (but short) magical girl anime in which romantic love is a very prominent theme. The show as a whole is a real delight to watch, although it doesn't start to seem special until you're at least a couple of episodes in. There are a lot of relationships (not to mention unrequited crushes), but to me the romance in Preatear seemed surprisingly uncontrived.

[b]Brigadoon:[/b] The main pairing in this series is almost a spoiler, as it's quite unconventional (to say the least) and doesn't become totally apparent until the final few episodes. That said, the relationship in question is incredibly sympathetic and well-developed. Also, the anime as a whole is just awesome.

[b]Full Moon wo Sagashite:[/b] It's practically criminal that FMwS isn't yet licensed. It's my second favorite shoujo anime and has the best ending I've ever seen. Not all of the show is about love, but since it's fifty-two episodes long, the romantic relationships are built up slowly and carefully, with plenty of plot twists to keep things interesting. It's a real tearjerker, but it's also very uplifting.

[b]Koi Kaze:[/b] You should probably take this recommendation with a grain of salt. Koi Kaze works best when approached as a character study rather than as a straightforward romance; it centers around an incestuous relationship. It's frustrating, profoundly disturbing and yet oddly rewarding to witness how the characters struggle with forbidden emotions. Koi Kaze treats its subject matter realistically and doesn't come off as being even the slightest bit sensationalistic.

[b]His & Her Circumstances:[/b] While I had some problems with His & Hers, it does the whole "high school romance" thing with skill and artistry. Ignore the people who tell you that it gets much worse toward the end (or that it totally lacks an ending)... despite fact that the show could have used a lot more closure, it actually picks up steam after sagging a bit in the middle. The dub is spectacularly good.

~Dagger~

Thanks for the recommendations :)

His and Her Circumstances has just been released in Australia and is pretty easy to buy so I think I might start with that one. The fact that Dagger thinks it has a good dub is a bonus as I tend to watch my anime dubbed so I don't have to concentrate as much ;)

I have Ah My Goddess the movie which is very sweet - it is a very 'love triangle' type of story. I'm glad to hear the series is good and hopefully I can buy it soon.

[QUOTE=Dagger]
[b]Koi Kaze:[/b] You should probably take this recommendation with a grain of salt. Koi Kaze works best when approached as a character study rather than as a straightforward romance; it centers around an incestuous relationship. It's frustrating, profoundly disturbing and yet oddly rewarding to witness how the characters struggle with forbidden emotions. Koi Kaze treats its subject matter realistically and doesn't come off as being even the slightest bit sensationalistic.
[/QUOTE]

I'll really have to agree with dagger on this one, Pretty good show but it's not for everyone and you really have to go into it with an open mind. another romance series that i enjoyed would be [B]Ai Yori Aoshi[/B] which is about a girl from a fairly prestigious family who fell in love with a (i'd rather not spoil anything) fairly plain boy, and their relationship is forbidden by her family. and the series is about the two of them working to be together.

One of the firsts, and one of my favorites, is Chobits. Hideki, a farm boy, goes to the city to prepare for college. At Tokyo he's finally exposed to Persocoms which are pretty much human-like computers. Once he discovers this one particular Persocom, the story then begins! I think this is definitely worth checking out. It's a romance/comedy, but I think its a little more on the romantic side.

[B]Girl Got Game:[/B] About a girl named Kyo Anizawa and she get transfered to a boy's dormitory! Her father wanted her to forfill his dreams of becoming a NBA player and so she has to cut her hair and be like a boy. A hot boy named Chiharu Eniwa is her roommate. Soon Eniwa finds out Kyo is a girl (In book three or four). Funny and romance story.

Anything made by CLAMP, they are all about the four letter word love. Their work is envolved around the way people fall for eachother and how friendships becomes something more. The one love story i have to say about CLAMP, would have to be Cardcaptor Sakura and Wish. Also Ranma 1/2 is great and its funny too. There's sailormoon and Ah My Goddess and Vandread and theres Read or Die the movie which talks about what would you choose between the love in a book or love in real life. I think those are romantic and Inuyasha is known to have alot of romane init too. :catgirl:

[quote name='WhiteAoiFox']Anything made by CLAMP, they are all about the four letter word love. Their work is envolved around the way people fall for eachother and how friendships becomes something more. The one love story i have to say about CLAMP, would have to be Cardcaptor Sakura and Wish. Also Ranma 1/2 is great and its funny too. There's sailormoon and Ah My Goddess and Vandread and theres Read or Die the movie which talks about what would you choose between the love in a book or love in real life. I think those are romantic and Inuyasha is known to have alot of romane init too. :catgirl:[/quote]
[COLOR=#503F86]I wouldn't call X (a CLAMP production) a series about love. It's not based around romantic love anwyay, even if it is involved somewhere.

And Read or Die barely touches on romance, really. One of the characters [spoiler] has a relationship with the main villain[/spoiler], but it's much more of an action-based flick.

I really liked the aspects of love in [b]RahXephon[/b]. I know it's more of a sci-fi suspense/mecha, but there are strong elements of love in the character developments throughout the series. And the ending is just... *fails to describe it properly* ...well, if you get to see it then you'll probably understand. It does take quite some watching to get to the more relationship-orientated bits but it's all well worth watching anyway. The movie's much more centered around Haruka and her love if that's what you're after.

Full Metal Panic: Pandemonium (read: Fumoffu) could be good for a laugh, too.[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Thes are titles for romance anime/manga that I recommend:

Maison Ikkoku- Can't get any more classic than this. One OF Rumiko Takahashi's BEST works that came before Ranma. Guy falls in love with apartment manager who's also a widow, other characters make his life hell, misunderstandings and comic moments. VERY good. Anime or Manga format works well too.

D-N-Angel- For this I recommend the manga ONLY. I saw the first episode as an extra with a Newtype issue and I saw the first 10 minutes and shut it off. Good storyline, slightly dark based on characters, but still goes very well with the plot.

A.I Love You- A good manga by Ken Akamatsu, maker of Love Hina. Young male programmer makes female AI programs as a form of interpersonal relationships, freak lightning storm brings his latest one to life, many good moments at start, then developes more comedy from the 3rd volume on. A good Romantic Comedy.

[SIZE=1]As IceRose said,Fruits Basket is definatly a manga with some romantic themes.

It mostly(romance-wise) about Kyo and Yuki Sohma semi-competing for the heart of Tohru Honda,an orphaned girl who comes to live in Shigure Sohma's house with Yuki and Kyo.

There are other relationships amongst the series,including the attraction between Hiro and Kisa,two of the youngest members of the Zodiac,and Kagura's -cough-obsession -cough- with Kyo.

Tsubasha is pretty good so far.A quest for the princess whom he loves memory.I just started reading it so I don't know much.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
yep, friuts basket is good, and so is Tsubasa. well, most of the stuff by CLAMP, as has already been said. Air is kinda a love story, but i think i missed something when i was watching it, gonna have to rewatch. something ive found that seems to be a love story with a twist is Midori Days(Midori no hibi). bout a guy who desperatly wants a girlfriend, and one day finds one in place of his right hand. oh...how do i word this...? shes a real person, and she really likes guy, and she doesnt hesistate to let him know, but hes not interested in a relationship with his right hand(insert crude joke here). if your looking for something a little further out there than normal, heres one for ya

if your looking into manga, though, the absolute best thingi can reccomend is Kill Me, Kiss Me. identical (different gender) cousins meets crossdressing meets gang wars meets love triangles meets love quadrangles meets the oblivious boy. not your average stuff, at least, ive never read anything else like it.

I'm really into Saikano right now. I hear its supposed to be one of the most depressing anime ever. From what I've seen so far I'm quite impressed. Shuji and Chise are a cute couple. Volume 1 left off at such a key place and I totally wanna know what happens already!

• 1 month later...
Why is it that in some action animes the man in the relationship is stubborn to admit his love. And in some of the actual romance anime's the guy is so stupid and crazy over the girl that he acts like an idiot. I checked out some of those recommended romance animes and thought they we're dumb and flitty.

POST OR REPLY BY -Emily- OF THE SSF

my favorite romance animes has to be Chobits and Oh! My Goddess :catgirl:

L8r,
Miyu

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Please try and add more detail to your posts in future, Vampire_Miyu. Posts that are too short and of too poor a quality (copious amounts of abbreviations are against the rules) will be deleted as spam. All it needs is something explaining why it is they're your favourite romance animes, or something to that end. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

I agree with DNAngel, Fruits Basket and Tsubasa. These are among my personal favorites. If you like Fushigi Yugi, try Yuu Watase's other manga. Ceres is a bit dark but I still like it. Alice the 19th seems cute but i only read the first manga. I read the begining of the new one by her - Absolute Boyfriend - in Shoujo beat and I love it so far. It's like reverse Chobits. The guy is the robot and the girl has a messy apartment.
There's other stuff by CLAMP too! For cute magical girl stuff with a real cute little romance, try Cardcaptor Sakura. And Chobits :catgirl: , that's cute too!

Last but NOT least! Kodocha (Kodomo no Omocha) is hyper and hilarious at times and then serious and realistic at others. It has family drama and the general middle school romantic drama but with a twist... the main character (Sana) is a child actress and her rival/[spoiler]boyfriend [/spoiler] (Hayama- see my avatar!) is the class troublemaker. I LOVE this series.