OtakuBoards

Howl's Moving Castle

Dagger

UNfortunately Hayao Miyazaki did not recieve the Award for best animated feature it was given to Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Ware rabbit. Now there has got to be a hell of alot of people out there who think that Hayao Miyazaki Should Have won.

:animeangr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. This year's animation entries were all magnificent! It prooves that not only digitally animated films can win! I'd be happier if Howl or Corpse Bride would've won, but everyone loves Wallace and Gromit, especially Hollywood.

I have to say that I am a huge fan of both Miyazaki's works and the Wallace and Gromit movies. Howl's Moving Castle was a good movie, but all Miyazaki movies are "good." Especially when compared to the book by Diana Wynne Jones (which I adore) and Miyazaki's other movies (which I love), this movie just didn't rise up to my expectations. It seemed very formulaic to me, and not enough things occurred that made me really think about life/war or what have you, or made me go "Wow, that was amazing." In all honesty, I think the Academy?s choice was just fine.

i know most of you probaly seen howl's moving castle movie but how many actually read the old book published in the 1980's is a good book!
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[B]HeartStopper[/B]

I?m moving your thread to the existing Howl?s Moving Castle thread for the following reason. To avoid confusion we ask you to not create another thread but to post in the current one no matter how old it is. It?s a good idea to check the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]Official Threads Directory[/B][/COLOR][/URL] to see if one already exists. Or to do a forum search to check for existing threads.

Also when creating a thread it's a good idea to do more than just say it's a good book. To encourage conversation take a moment to explain why you think its a good book. As it stands now it's very close to being considered spam.

Please take a moment to read the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]Rule[/B]s[/COLOR][/URL] and [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]FAQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] located on the left sidebar for more information on how to create threads and other aspects of OtakuBoards. If you have any questions feel free to pm me or any of the staff here.

~Aaryanna[/COLOR]

[quote name='Chikara Kokoro']I have to say that I am a huge fan of both Miyazaki's works and the Wallace and Gromit movies. Howl's Moving Castle was a good movie, but all Miyazaki movies are "good." Especially when compared to the book by Diana Wynne Jones (which I adore) and Miyazaki's other movies (which I love), this movie just didn't rise up to my expectations. It seemed very formulaic to me, and not enough things occurred that made me really think about life/war or what have you, or made me go "Wow, that was amazing." In all honesty, I think the Academy?s choice was just fine.[/quote]
On the otherside though I can't see "Wallace and Gromit" making anyone think about life/war either. I would have liked to see Howls Moving Castle win in hopes that America had increased interest in anime which is good for all of us. The more interest in anime, the more assecible it becomes - less expensive and more variety. :)

[quote name='Miyuri Akisato']On the otherside though I can't see "Wallace and Gromit" making anyone think about life/war either. I would have liked to see Howls Moving Castle win in hopes that America had increased interest in anime which is good for all of us. The more interest in anime, the more assecible it becomes - less expensive and more variety. :)[/quote]

Howl's Moving Castle tried to be deep and thought-provoking, but didn't succeed entirely. Wallace and Gromit tried to be something entirely different and succeeded 100% at its goal of being just silly and funny. I personally wanted Howl's to win the Oscar despite it's faults, but I wanted it to win because of its overwhelming beauty, inventive concepts, and loveable characters, not because it was anime. Just because of one loss doesn't mean America hasn't "increased interest". Hell, the fact that it got nominated at all means that it gained more interest than at least 95% of all movies released this year. If you want an anime movie to win so badly, just hope that FUNi Films picks up Mind Game and makes it become a surprise hit. Now if THAT movie lost the Oscar, I'd get pretty damn angry (I still think that Tokyo Godfathers was better than The Triplets of Belleville and Brother Bear combined and on-par with Finding Nemo and am furious that such a masterpiece didn't even get nominated).

[FONT=Tahoma][color=#555555]Oooh boy!

I just saw this masterpiece yesterday and it was well worth the money. I found the whole idea was very unique and just simply breath taking. I liked how you couldn't really pinpoint the era of the movie, as it was a whole new era of it's own.

This movie is certainly my favourite anime movie. The voice acting was superb (did anyone else keep thinking of Batman whenever they heard Howl?).

As for Dagger's first question, [spoiler]I believe Howl realized Sophie was the women from his childhood when he found her sleeping and she was young again.[/spoiler]

And you know what? I think I liked Howl best [spoiler]as a redhead[/spoiler].[/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest KennethS
I have to agree, i found the whole thing to be a visualy stunning, and a fresh taste of anime. I Have not found a good anime movie of this quality since I first saw Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

I've seen a good number of Miyazaki's movies and I've loved them ALL. I was really dissappointed that Howl's Moving Castle wasn't shown in theaters where I live but such is life :animecry:. Yesterday though I got to rent it and watch it, once again I've been left all 'wow...that was...awesome!'. I just love Howl's Moving Castle! It's number one on my list (just out did Princess Mononoke by a point *Howl's lost towl scene was priceless :animesmil *).

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Having finally seen it I really enjoyed Howl?s Moving Castle. I really liked how it was drawn as the way it was presented made it hard to pinpoint what era it was suppose to be from. At first I found Howl to be disappointing as it seemed like [spoiler]his character lacked personality. [/spoiler] But then when you got to the end and see that he [spoiler]lost his heart when he was still a child [/spoiler]it makes sense. It wasn?t a matter of [spoiler]lacking personality but rather that once he lost his heart his body grew up but his heart (emotions) did not. [/spoiler]

The thing that really surprised me was the scarecrow Sophie called Turnip Head. I was completely surprised when she [spoiler]kissed the scarecrow and it turned into a prince![/spoiler]I plan on watching it again to see if there were hints or clues that I missed regarding that the first time around. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue']I plan on watching it again to see if there were hints or clues that I missed regarding that the first time around. [/COLOR][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]You think much like I do apparently.

I had the exact same reaction when that whole scene happend, and as such, I rewatched it the next day and found one clue.

[spoiler]I believe it's near the beginning of the movie, some random civilians are talking about a missing Prince from whatever city it was.[/spoiler]

That's the only clue I found, although I did forget about my whole plan to find clues and just got sucked into the movie fairly quickly.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]
[spoiler]I believe it's near the beginning of the movie, some random civilians are talking about a missing Prince from whatever city it was.[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Upon watching HMC with subs (which I don't really recommend--Christian Bale is vastly superior to his Japanese counterpart), I was taken aback to discover that those lines were added for the dub script. They don't say anything audible in the Japanese version.

The plot thickens, ne?

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']I was taken aback to discover that those lines were added for the dub script. They don't say anything audible in the Japanese version. [/quote]
[FONT=Tahoma][color=#555555]Yeah, I figured as much.

If you watch a certain part of the special features (which I reccommend, it was very interesting as I've never seen behind the scenes of dubbing before), you'll notice that they played around with the lines [I]a lot[/I] so they could fill in the mouthing of the character just perfectly.

They also mentioned something about taking out some extra information and placing it back in later in the movie.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=White][FONT=Tahoma][color=#555555]
They also mentioned something about taking out some extra information and placing it back in later in the movie.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Hm... do you remember what that was?

To be fair, the dub and sub scripts lined up pretty well (from what I remember). There were parts where they tweaked the dub a little bit to make it funnier, but that's almost SOP for some companies. Overall, the changes were pretty minor and harmless.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Hm... do you remember what that was?[/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I'm not sure, but the DVD doesn't have a whole lot of Special Features to begin with so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I remember it had a lot of footage of the Voice Actors doing what they're good at.

And yeah, it wasn't necessarily [b]key[/b] information. I think it was more just information that they could've have left out completely if they wanted. I guess it may not have been "information" at all then.

I'm tempted to go out and buy it now, actually. I really want to watch it again. >.>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=red]Meh, I just bought the DVD. I love the movie and all, but yeah, there aren't too many Special Features *le sai*. However, perhaps (and this is me trying to be extremely, totally, absolutely and utterly hopeful), there may be an easter egg in the DVD somewhere, lol. There have been in more recent DVD's, but knowing my luck there's no such thing. Anyhow, the movie itself was just amazing ^_^[/color]

[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Having finally seen it I really enjoyed Howl?s Moving Castle. I really liked how it was drawn as the way it was presented made it hard to pinpoint what era it was suppose to be from. At first I found Howl to be disappointing as it seemed like [spoiler]his character lacked personality. [/spoiler] But then when you got to the end and see that he [spoiler]lost his heart when he was still a child [/spoiler]it makes sense. It wasn?t a matter of [spoiler]lacking personality but rather that once he lost his heart his body grew up but his heart (emotions) did not. [/spoiler]

The thing that really surprised me was the scarecrow Sophie called Turnip Head. I was completely surprised when she [spoiler]kissed the scarecrow and it turned into a prince![/spoiler]I plan on watching it again to see if there were hints or clues that I missed regarding that the first time around. [/COLOR][/QUOTE][COLOR=Indigo]I was thinking the same thing you were about Howl when I first watched it. I plan on watching it again since now that I know how it ends I can pay more attention to Howl's character.

I too was surprised when Sophie [spoiler]kissed the scarecrow and it turned into a prince[/spoiler] I remembered the brief mention at the begining of the film about [spoiler]a prince being missing[/spoiler] but since it was never mentioned again I assumed it was nothing more than simple conversation.

The part I found the funniest was when Sophie[spoiler] was helping Howl up the stairs to get him cleaned up and his towl fell off! It was pretty funny how she carefully looked up to avoid seeing anything.[/spoiler]

I also found it interesting how Sophie's [spoiler]love for Howl kept interfering with the curse that was cast on her. She would start to go back to her own age and then her own doubt would seem to give the curse power again and she would go back to being old.[/spoiler] At least that's how it seemed to me.

Hehe, now I feel the urge to watch the movie again. [/COLOR]

• 6 months later...
This is a really great movie. I'm glad that I had the chance to see it on the big screen. I'd never had a chance to see a Miyazaki movie in the theatre before. I really liked the book too. It's kind of a shame that the movie didn't remain more faithful to the book, but I guess that's life. It doesn't matter though, because this is still an awesome movie. Any movie that has come from the mind of Miyazaki is destined to be good no matter what. He is a GENIUS! I own all but one of his movies, including this one. I'm always so impressed by the quality of his work. His attention to detail is phenomenal, the characters are really incredible, the stories are really touching, and the artwork is absolutely beautiful. He is unbelieveably imaginative. I really like this movie, but I did think it was a bit overly long. I mean, it was great, but all good things must come to an end, right? I guess this movie just seemed to go on for a long time. No matter... This movie may not have been Miyazaki's best (in my opinion), but it's still one of my favorite movies. :D

• 4 years later...
I had an opportunity to sleep last night, but instead I watched this movie. Needless to say I don't regret a thing. I love how cute the story is and I liked how they didn't go with the traditional fight-the-bad-guy thing. All the people who seemed evil had redeeming qualities, and by the end, I felt that the only true enemy was their own personal demons [spoiler] not including Howl's obviously[/spoiler]

The art for this movie was also very captivating. the transformation between young Sophie and old were fluid, the colors of each set were vivid, and the magical parts of the world were depicted in an uncommon way, seeming to be half mechanical and half mystical. Watching the castle come to life made my jaw drop a little.

Lastly the voice acting was perfect. I had no problem connecting to the characters. I am a fan of Christian Bales, but I think I liked Josh Hutcherson's performance the best. He convayed the perfect array of emotions as a ball of fire.

Well... now that that is over with I have to try and find another movie to try and fall asleep to. Edited by ThAt guy