OtakuBoards

Howl's Moving Castle

Dagger

i´ve seen this movie, and fall in love with hauro(japanese version of howl). he´s my absolutly favourite :rolleyes:

its very funny and dramatic and the endtitle "princess of the world"(japanese songlyric) is wonderful.

i´ve read the book from dianna wyenne jones too. its diffrent from the movie but as funny and dramatic as the movie.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Observing Soul
I've seen it and I had a pleasurable time watching it. Just goes to show that an anime movies doesn't always need beautiful people, giant mechas, aliens, sex, or whatever to make it interesting. Movies such as this actually have a meaning or two as well.

• 3 months later...
Just to let you all know, Howl's Moving Castle was just nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar today. It's nice Miyazaki is getting more recognition, but it's going to be a close match for the win against The Corpse Bride and Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Wererabbit. Howl's is a beautiful movie, but Corpse Bride could deserve a win for the piano scene alone, and how could you not love Wallace and Gromit?

According to AnimeOnDVD.com ([url=http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/4868.php]click[/url]), Howl's Moving Castle is coming out on March 7 2006.
Just like you, I missed it in theaters (all my friends saw it) so I'll be buying the DVD if it's a reasonable price. Otherwise, I'll just rent it.

-Arvi

I just recenly saw this Movie at a local Theater and I can tell you Its definately worth purchasing. It really does raise the bar on Animated cinema. I have also mput in an order for the Limited Edition DVD. SOOOO EXITED XD

News Flash! Howl's Moving Castle is nominated for an Academy Award/Oscar (Award Ceremony March 5th) for Best Animated Film. Nominated in the same category are Tim Burton's Corpse Bride and Aardman's Wallace and Gromit. Tough competition, but isn't it ever so cool? XD

xD Renate, EVA Unit 100 beat you to it! [url=http://otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=708548&postcount=29]Click[/url]

Do you really think it's tough competition? Whenever I hear about the three movies, HMC always gets compliments while the reactions seem to be mixed at best for the other two.

-Arvi

[QUOTE=r2vq]xD Renate, EVA Unit 100 beat you to it! [url=http://otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=708548&postcount=29]Click[/url]

Do you really think it's tough competition? Whenever I hear about the three movies, HMC always gets compliments while the reactions seem to be mixed at best for the other two.

-Arvi[/QUOTE]
Gah I hadn't noticed! XD Darn you EVA Unit 100! *shakes fist* ^.~

Yes I do think so, because Corpse Bride and Wallace and Gromit both got amazing reviews here, while everyone seemed to agree that HMC is not as magical as Spirited Away. O.o It'll be a really hard choice!

[QUOTE=r2vq]Do you really think it's tough competition? Whenever I hear about the three movies, HMC always gets compliments while the reactions seem to be mixed at best for the other two.

-Arvi[/QUOTE]

Who have you been talking to? Wallace and Gromit is almost universally loved along with being the best reviewed movie in wide release last year and The Corpse Bride, while not being that great a movie, has Tim Burton and some excellent animation working for it (and it's also pretty good as a whole as well). In retrospect Howl's Moving Castle is probably slightly better than Corpse Bride and slightly worse than Wallace and Gromit. And when I say "slightly", I mean REALLY slightly. If Wallace and Gromit is an A grade movie, Howl's would be an A- and The Corpse Bride a B+. It's really that close a race, and I'll be happy with whatever movie wins.

Well, if you say so. XD I haven't seen WaG or HMC yet. But I know I didn't enjoy Corpse Bride very much, even if the animation was utterly beautiful. I just felt that the Animation didn't carry the, otherwise, slow and predictable storyline.
The reason I didn't think WaG would be very good (even though I loved them in the past) is because their trailers seem to be very slapstick driven, rather than actually have a plot. Of course, I know I shouldn't judge a movie by its trailer. I'll be picking this one up when the DVD comes out.

Friends have told me that HMC was the best of Miyazaki's work, and that's why I assumed that it would be so great. As I was typing this, I visited IMDB and scanned through a few reviews. While many praised the film, a few called it unoriginal and a waste of ten dollars. Of course, I know they are only opinions and differ by each person, but having not seen the film yet myself, I have little else to go by.

-Arvi

I like HMC quite a bit, but the impression I've gotten (mainly from various online reviews and discussions, mind) is that it isn't as well regarded as its two most recent predecessors, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. That applies to anime fans as well as critics in general. The most common complaint is that the plot seems to be sloppily thrown together.

I disagree with that, with one major exception--the sub-plot with the [spoiler]scarecrow prince[/spoiler] should have been eliminated. It feels like a weakened hold-over from the book, and it adds virtually nothing to the story. Worst of all, [spoiler]his transformation[/spoiler] comes out of nowhere.

I didn't object to this as much before I watched the subtitled version. After I watched it, I realized that the line in the beginning [spoiler]in which some bystanders mention the missing foreign prince[/spoiler] wasn't present in the Japanese language version. I guess they added it to the dub for the sake of coherency/continuity. Normally I would be really against that kind of thing--and I still am--but I have to concede that I would be much happier if the original script had included it.

~Dagger~

Howl's Moving Castle isn't one of Miyazaki's best movies, but it's pretty good still. Of course it's not as good as Spirited Away (very few things are), but I thought it was pretty close to par with Princess Mononoke. Thinking about it, Howl's succeeds where Mononoke fails, and vice versa: the excellent character development and general lightheartedness of Howl's makes up for the fact that the plot is rather poor compared to the book, whereas Mononoke has an excellent plot but with only one three-dimmensional character and a bit too much preaching. The one thing that makes Princess Mononoke better than Howl's Moving Castle in my opinion is the fact that Mononoke is entirely Miyazaki's own creation and therefore his obsessions add to the movie instead of detract from it. To be totally honest I found Miyazaki's least enjoyable (note that I didn't say "worst") movie to be My Neighbor Totoro, which despite all of its wonders, inventions, and realizations just lacked any solid plot to push the characters that Miyazaki had made you care about so much. Howl's Moving Castle is somewhat more enjoyable than Totoro, but its deficiencies still put it below classics like Cagliostro and Laputa. Note that I still need to see Porco Rosso, so my Miyazaki rankings might change in the future.

[size=1]I remember when I read the book about two years ago, I fell in love with the story and immediatly wanted to watch this movie when I found out it was coming to my theaters!

I watched it and I loved the movie all the same. I agree with Dagger when she talks about all of the... spoilers she mentioned.

Like always, the music by Joe Hisaishi is absolutly beautiful. I wish I could get the soundtrack, but my parents refuse to get imported material. :rolleyes: Oh well. :animeswea

I enjoy this movie.

Although, my second favorite movie for Miyazaki would be [b]Whisper of the Heart[/b]. It was recently on Turner Classic Movies Channel on the third Thursday of the month of January? I recorded it and watched it. The DVD will be released the same day as [b]Howl's Moving Castle[/b]! (March 7th)

[b]Spirited Away[/b] would have to be my third favorite. :D

I think that's all I have to say.[/size]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sosoChan
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]The Greatest Animated movie I have ever seen.....
Miyazaki sure knows how to make a good movie :catgirl: [/COLOR]

3 days until its released on dvd & I am completely bursting to see it. They didn't show the film in the cinema here so I've had to wait. If its anywhere near as good as spirited away it'll be great.

Guest mllrygoddess14
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]
[SIZE=4]
[FONT=Arial Black]yeah whatever happened to that cause i went to the movies to see it and it wasnt playing anymore its almost like it just disappeared ive been waitlng for to come out on dvd but i havnt seen any sihns of it its weird:([/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]mllrygoddess14, I deleted the quote from your post because it had little to do with what you were talking about. If you need to point out a specific sentence you can do so by using quote and deleting the superfluous text. This will help keep your post cleaner. If a quote is longer than your post, that's usually too long of a quote. ;) -Arvi[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

The DVD for Howl's Moving Castle is coming out on March 7, 2006. You should be able to get it from retailers in your area that sell movies, but if you still can't find it, try Amazon.com

As for missing it at the theaters... it's very possible that you waited too long. Movies that aren't very popular don't usually get very long theater time because the theaters want to open up room for the popular movies. Next time, go right away. xP

-Arvi

I have also ordered Howl's Moving Castle. I saw the movie with a friend her mother at the movie theaters. I really liked but It didn't go with the book as much as I woulld have hoped. If I had to choose between the two I really wouldn't be able two because I loved the book and the movie way to much.

[QUOTE]Also what do people belive on the outcome of the academy awards?[/QUOTE]
Tomorrow night is teh night! I don't think Howl's Moving Castle is going to win though. I think it'll be Wallace and Gromit. They're so popular!

Guest D. Resurrected
Just curious who directed it was it studio Ghibli :D it looks like something they would do.