OtakuBoards

The Definition of "Friend"

shinji172

This is something ive been pondering for a while. How do you define a friend? Is it someone who likes you or someone who will stick with you no matter what (or something else). The problem I have with this is that what sort of friend would abandon you when you need them (argument solved-I thought). However, What if someone who treats you terribly were to stick with you despite your faults, does that make him a friend? If this is the case, what causes the bond of friendship?
On another note, do you classify family as friends or "Just family"?

Id appreciate any points of view on this.

everyone defines friend differently, having some stick by you through thick and thin is a nice quality, but it doesn't solely define a friend. Some people stay, just to make themselves feel better, being able to tear you down makes them feel stronger. If someone is treating you badly, then they aren't your friend. Besides, would you really want someone who treats you like crap to stick by you all the time? Even if they do stay, wouldn't it just prolong the misery they cause?

My definition of friend is this...
-Someone who likes you, and accepts you, for you. If you have to be someone else around them to please them, then they're not really liking you, they're liking the person you're trying to be. You shouldn't have to put on an act to be accepted, being yourself is enough.

-Friends do fight sometimes, but there is a line and when its crossed, it should be acknowledged, not just thrown aside cause of "friendship." People change, and someone who could've formerly been your friend, could be an enemy now. Someone who treats you badly doesn't deserve to have your attention. Friendship is mutual. If your the only one making an effort, then its not really worth it. Why should you hang out with someone who makes fun of you all the time despite how well you treat them.

-Friends should stick by you through thick and thin. Although this isn't the only quality you should be looking for, it is important. Whats the point of having a friend when they leave everytime you really need them. They should be there, to talk to you, and comfort you when gos wrong. Even when you make mistakes, a friend should be able to love you unconditionally. Even if they don't agree with the decision you've made, they should be honest and tell you, but not just leave you there to deal with things on your own.

-Friends should be true to you. Honesty is always the best policy when it comes to friendship. So many friendships are ruined because people lie and talk behind each other's backs. Whats the point of confiding in someone who tells all your most personal thoughts to everyone else.

Those are just a few of the things I look for in a friend. Just remember, these millions of people out there, and just because one person doesn't like you, doesn't mean there won't be tons of others who do. You just have to find the right people and try your best to be a nice person so that they'll treat you the same way.

[color=darkviolet]Good topic. Now let's see if I can answer your question.

I believe that a friend is someone who will stick by you no matter what, but also tell you when you're being an idiot. Because what kind of friend would someone be if they didn't stop you from doing something stupid?

I also think that there are different levels of friendship. For example I have a friend down in Texas who never bothers to call me unless I'm actually going to be down there. She also doesn't like my husband but that's because another girl we know...long story. But then there's my best friend Becky who I constantly have to tell that she's doing dumb stuff. But she'll call me and we'll hang out when both of us have time.

I consider myself a good friend because I don't mind telling my best friend when she's being an idiot and I try to offer advice and sympathy.[/color]

To describe a friend, simply think of the friends you have now. Make a list of all the general qualities you think are important to your relationship. Friendship needs vary from person to person, but they all go along the same general lines as what's already been said.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][CENTER]A friend in needs a friend indeed,
A friend with weed is better,
A friend with breasts and all the rest,
A friend who?s dressed in leather,

A friend in needs a friend indeed,
A friend who?ll tease is better ,
Our thoughts compressed,
Which makes us blessed,
And makes for stormy weather,

My japanese is better,
And when she?s pressed she will undress,
And then she?s boxing clever,

A friend who bleeds is better,
My friend confessed she passed the test,
And we will never sever,

~Pure Morning, Placebo[/CENTER]
A friend is someone who won't judge you, and wills tick through you thick and thin. A friend is someone who laughs at your jokes no matter how stupid, and is there for you when you really screw something up, or need support. A friend shares his Coke (a better friend buys you your own). A friend will bite his tongue about your signifigant other even if he doesn't like her.

A friend is a lot of things. A friend is undefinable. :D [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed][B]with no pulp:[/B][/COLOR] Hey
[COLOR=Navy][B]SmarterChild:[/B] [/COLOR] Hey Stuart.
[COLOR=DarkRed]with no pulp: [/COLOR] Define "friend"
[COLOR=Navy][B]SmarterChild:[/B] [/COLOR]

friend:

Noun
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts. 2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance. 3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade. 4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

a friend is someone i can tell anything to and not have to worry about their reaction.
A person who mistreats you but sticks up for u is not a friend. They more than likely just see you as a possession. This i know from experience.

i had a friend in elementary who would call me names spread rumors about me and would come over to my house to hang with my sister. Yet at the same time she quit her extracirricular activities to spend more time with me and always gave me stuff. I soon learned that i was a possession toi her. She saw me like one of her toys to play with.

My boyfriend has always been there for me. We were friends and now are lovers. Its funny, we will always have a deep bond since we are so close. We were even each others first. That type of bond can never be broken.

So to answer your question, if they are truly your friend; you shouldn't have to ask.
you will just know.

[quote name='shinji172']However, What if someone who treats you terribly were to stick with you despite your faults, does that make him a friend?.[/quote]What? If you find a friend like that, that friend is one of a kind.

A friend is someone who can treat you right, and at the same time stick by you when you need them. In return, you do the same. If they can't treat you properly, you'll end up fighting anyway.

That's what friendship is.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][CENTER][SIZE=1]Funny...I've been asked this question recently by a friend. Course everyone like someone else has already said that everyone defines friendship differently...unless you'll be like Hack and just look it up in a dictionary...getting it from Smarterchild no less *shakes head*.

I have a very simple definition of a friend...and all the details and specifics will fall into place. Most of the time you expect something from a friend...to do this...or to do that...well...here's my test.

I expect nothing from a friend...
I will give all that I can for my friend that I love...to be there to comfort, to hold, to chill with...to have fun and play and enjoy life together with the rest that surrounds us. I will do all that I can on my part...the rest is up too them...and if they give that back not because they have to...but because they want too...then that is a friendship. The rest will fall into place. Course we're not all perfect...but that's the basic idea... [/SIZE][/CENTER][/COLOR]

[size=1]Depends, and there's quite a 'range'. Some of them just seem to be there for laughs, some to confide, some to help around a certain subject... etc. I always have one best friend I trust completely, tell everything to, know most about, open up most to, and spend most of my time with. We form this bond where we can confront each other about issues and [b]listen[/b].

I don't seek perfection. I'm not perfect, so why should I expect my best friend to be? Obviously, I'll meet people who will make me laugh more, teach me more, etc. But I do seek [b]honestly[/b] and reliability. I can't consider someone I constantly speculate a friend. If they show me they're trustworthy... then why not? There's good in everyone, and it's about giving yourself a chance to experience meeting someone truly special. [/size]

Hmm...how to define friend...well honestly, I'm not sure I know. I don't think I really have any...friends. I have aquaintances...but I don't normally let people get close enough to be friends. I have one person I think I can call a friend...and even then, that's tentative.
So, on that topic, why do I call her a friend? Well, I know that if I need to talk about something, she'll listen. That's very important to me, because I don't *talk* to a lot of people. I make small talk and generally socialize...but when I really need to talk about something, it's hard for me to do. So it means a lot that she's there for me for that. She doesn't pass judgement on me while I'm telling her things, and she doesn't offer advice unless I ask for it. Which to some people may seem rather cold to some people, but I don't like it when someone just automatically tells me what they think I should do.
She will flat out tell me when I'm doing something rude, mean, or otherwise stupid. I like that she's very upfront about what she thinks. Of course, that means that when she's angry with me I hear about it until she's cooled down, but that's important too.
She's willing to give me my space when I need it, and she knows when I need someone to be there for me, even if I don't say anything. Which I frequently don't.
So what makes her a friend? The fact that she knows me so well, and that she's there when I need her. More than that though, I think it's her willingness to depend on me, and her brutal honesty. I call her my friend because she needs me just like I need her. And that's what friendship is about, I think... :animeswea I kinda rambled...but yeah...there ya go...

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Friend: The only person that you'd trust enough to disclose the location of your buried enemies to.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Heh...only kidding...perhaps...:smirk: [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I'm not really sure how I would define "friend" other than someone with whom you feel a strong mutual bonding, a sense of loyalty, trust, and integrity with, and someone with whom you can relate to. [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]And to answer your question about family-- my brother and I have always been best friends through everything... so, the answer to that one is a definite yes.[/font][/b]

If someone isn't insulting me, chances are they are my friends. That's about 40% of what matters. I think a friend should share your interests, and not insult things you find interesting (unless its something political) 20%. A friend must not find anything you say or do abnormal, they must think of you always as their friend, never as some weirdo 10%. A friend must be willing to stick with you and not fight against you or it could turn out like the movie X 9%. A friend must keep in contact with you even after you move away, and not through frikkin chain letters! 8%. A friend must not be using you for your video games 7%. A friend must be willing to share everything. 3%. A friend must not hate your other friends 2%. A friend must not hate you 1%.

Family=Best of friends, inermost circle of friendship.

[quote name='ThatOneOddDude'] A friend must not find anything you say or do abnormal, they must think of you always as their friend, never as some weirdo [/quote]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Crap. In that case, I have absolutely [i]no[/i] friends... and I never have.:animeswea lol[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I suppose it's a grand thing that I don't have that included in my definition,
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]because even my family thinks I'm insane/abnormal/a weirdo...etc...[/font][/b]
[/font][/b][b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]

[quote name='ThatOneOddDude'] A friend must not find anything you say or do abnormal, they must think of you always as their friend, never as some weirdo .[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]That mean that like Elf I have no friends either everyone thinks I'm weird. Even you guys, and none of you have ever met me.[/color]

Not quite what I meant. Everyone thinks Im weird, it comes naturally when you act like I do, but a friend will not judge you like that and treat you like some weirdo. My friends are constantly saying "(TOOD) you're weird" but they don't sit there and yabber on about it. IIts kind of hard to explain... just... forget I said anything.

As others have said, everyone has a different definition of friend, because everybody looks for something different in their friends. Some pople want a "brother" or "sister" in their friends, somebody that they can confide in and trust in any situation, while others just want somebody to hang around and talk to. Most people want something in between.

Personally, a friend is somebody that I can trust and that shares my interests. I'm not going to poor my problems on my friends and demand their help, but I want my friends to help out a bit if the problem is right in front of them. I also want them to be able to come to me for help if they can't handle things alone. Friendship can't prosper without trust.

A friend is someone who doesn't betray you at any cost. Is sad, my so called friends betrayed me and doubted my honesty. So far I've only encountered two people I can call friends. They listen and stick by me when I have problems. Is easy for someone to leave but when the situation gets rough you know when you have a real friend

[size=1][color=slategray]In these times of question, I turn to the dictionary... but seeing to that Hack Helba has already beaten me to that...
A friend is someone who will direct you to the bathroom when you've had a bit to much to drink.
A friend is someone who will still admit they love you even if you do stupid stuff.
A friend is someone who sticks by you, even if you are being a blubbering dork right after you've been dumped.
A friend is just someone you can be yourself around, and they can be themselves around you. And no matter if you are running down a dark street naked, or just eating cereal together, you can always have a laugh.[/color][/size]