OtakuBoards

Your opinion on the next year of gaming.

2010DigitalBoy

At this years E3, some wonderfull things have been shown. From the brilliant, whimsical Okami to the hardcore fragfest Battlefield 2. From the PS3 with its insane graphics, to the Xbox 360 which looks no better than the Xbox. The awesome RPG Final Fantasy 12, and the oh-my-god-that-is-sweet The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.

Im sick of reading Gamespot and watching g4 24 hours a day, I want the opinion of the people! Tell me your thoughts! Tell me of your hatred for Microsoft, tell me your love for Nintendogs, tell me everything!

Ill be back in a while to speak my thoughts (expect a really long post).

Obviously, the new consoles will be the biggest thing. But at this point I am uninterested in the Xbox 360, and there's not enough real information about the Playstation 3 (I need a [i]price, [/i]dammit).

Things don't seem to be full of the AAA titles that 2005 was rife with, though. Outside of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and a few DS games (Mario & Luigi 2, New Super Mario Bros, Advance Wars DS) there's not a lot of games that have grabbed my interest.

The way I see it, last year was this generation's peak, and this year they're bringing in the next-gen stuff, which means that things will settle down a bit before developers get used to things with the new consoles. Then things will get awesome again.

[color=#4B0082]Heh, I'm actually looking forward to more this year than I was last year. Obviously I'm ecstatic about Zelda: Twilight Princess, but games like Animal Crossing DS, Mario Kart DS, and the new Super Mario Bros. also have me nearly as excited. The advent of Nintendo's online wi-fi network is another thing I'm really looking forward to -- being able to play together with James, Shinmaru, and everyone else I know online with a DS is going to be absolutely fantastic. And then games like Nintendogs and Electroplankton have gotten me really curious. I don't know yet whether I'll be buying either, but I definitely want to try them out.

So while the current generation consoles are winding down, there are still going to be some excellent games released before their "deaths." Remember, there were some awesome games released for the N64 not too long before the GCN was released; games like Super Smash Bros., Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Paper Mario. Plus, the Nintendo DS is just winding up, so we'll start seeing a lot more good games for it.

I think that even without PS3 and the Revolution, this year will be plenty awesome.[/color]

My opinion on the gaming war...

PSP will probably dominate the DS, one reason being that the DS has no good games, it has some ok ones, but nothing that ever made me even consider buying a DS. The DS is just a gimmick to me, two screens and a stylus, and it's only games are over-hyped tech demos.

Next-gen consoles: PS3 is the better system overall, the main thing that XBOX has over PS3 is XBOX Live, which is insanely popular and Sony has said that they'd create something similar, but they haven't given any details, while Microsoft has. The Nintendo Revolution is looking like crap compared to the other systems, they haven't said anything thing about it, other than it's a small black box that's backwards compatible with at least GC and N64. The system doesn't match up with the other powerhouses, meaning that it will be like the GC and sell for $100 less. I used to be a diehard Nintendo (and Sony fan), but I'm beginning to believe that the only thing that's keeping Nintendo alive right now is the fact that the system is cheap, and that Nintendo fans the the most hardcore type of fans. They're the ones that are obssessive over Pokemon and Zelda. They create characters that come up in all they're games that people really like, while PS and XBOX don't really have it that much. I am starting to believe that Nintendo will go the way of Sega after releasing the Revolution... but that's just my opinion.

Final Fantasy XII looks amazing so far, they've taken my absolute favorite game, Vagrant Story, and used the same art and style in a Final Fantasy Tactics world. the only problem I have so far is that they delayed it what, 3 times so far?

And I know I've been brutally honest about Nintendo, but I really can't wait to play Twilight Princess. It looks really cool. I just hope it plays better than Windwaker did (or maybe I have higher standards from games on other systems).

I plan on sticking with (buying) a PSP and when I'm not playing that, I'll be here playing that new Unreal game, or going back to Half Life 2 / Counter-Strike.

EDIT: fixed a run-on

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess]My opinion on the gaming war...

PSP will probably dominate the DS, one reason being that the DS has no good games, it has some ok ones, but nothing that ever made me even consider buying a DS. The DS is just a gimmick to me, two screens and a stylus, and it's only games are over-hyped tech demos.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I had to stop reading your post right there. DS mopped the floor with PSP at E3. It was voted the best platform of E3, while PSP's showing was quite underwhelming. Go back and look at the list of releases for the DS this year, particularly in the month of November. You'll be surprised.

That's not to say that the PSP won't see some great games as well--Burnout Legends, Virtua Tennis, Daxter, Persuit Force, and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories are sure to be interesting. But, c'mon.

Anyway, this is going to be a great year for the current generation consoles. The PS2 is quite possibly seeing its best year, the GameCube fans had Resident Evil 4 and still get to look forward to the new Zelda in November. The Xbox has seen a good year too, although the end of the year will be weak since Microsoft is effectively killing the system.

My opinion, by TOOD

PC: I think that over the next year and the year after that the PC will completely die. There are a LOT of diehard nerds that only play PC games complaining that consols are inadequite, but with the rise of casual gamers, the rise of graphics on consoles, and the rise of great console games, the PC's future is looking pretty bleak. Not to sound stupid but, I kind of hope the PC dies. Im not even sure why, but something tells me the death of the PC, if handled intellegently, will turn out well.

Play Station 2: This seems to have the brightest future as far as 2005 goes. First of all, Final Fantasy 12 looks freaking awesome. This could quite possibly the best FF game yet. Theres also Dragon Quest 8. I have a fealing those two games will sell insanely. Lets not forget Okami, the calligraphy game developed under the Viewtifull Joe engine. There are also many other games that look sweet.

Play Station 3: That is assuming it comes out before July 2006. I think this will be the bestseller of the consols, but until I see a price I believe nothing! This console has the best graphics I have ever freakin seen! They're, like, Shrek 2 good or Star Wars Episode 3 good! Anyone who's seen the Killzone 2 trailer knows the insane graphics and AI of the PS 3. One thing troubles me, though. I haven't seen any actual gameplay footage!

XBox: Um... I haven't really heard of any Xbox game coming out...

Xbox 360: Wow. This seems to be a failure on so many levels. The controller is the exact same as the Xbox, meaning the games can't be too different. The graphics are hardly better than the stupid Xbox!!! What the heck? Its almost as though they took an Xbox, but it in a new container, and put it back out! The only game Im excited about is one Im also dissapointed in because it should have been released on the Xbox and thats Kameo Elements of Power. It isn't worth it.

Gamecube: There isn't much, but what there is is the best. First off, Zelda Twilight Princess. What is there to say that hasn't been said? Theres also Battalion Wars, which is like Ratchet and Clank meets Advanced Wars. Finally, theres Fire Emblem which may not sell well because its so much like the others.

PSP: This seems like the DS killer because of the publicity, but in reality the DS pwns its *****. I mean, yes it has better graphics and a lot of sweet games, but its just too expensive. Ill get one though.

DS: This is going in the right direction, online. Not only is there a wide variety of new games, like Animal Crossing, Super Mario Cart, Castlevania, Nintendogs, Electroplankton, New Super Mario Brothers, and Viewtiful Joe. Im sure this will be a great year for the DS.

GBA: This still has a lot of life in it, with the new Fire Emblem, Wario Ware Twisted, some new Yoshi game and a lot more on the horizon. Unfortuanetally, I think that with the DS and PSP out, people are going to start qualifying it as useless.

N-Gage: Hold on, whats this doing here? Go away N-Gage and take all four of your fans with you!

I disagree computer games are infact the best games out there and computer games are still the majority of what people will play. And also computer games are also what started pro leagues such as [url]www.caleague.com[/url] and many lans such as acon5 and THE Cpl, Eswc so infact computers will be around for the remainder of gaming. A big reason for this is, That computers are almost limitless and what you can do. By the time a ps4 comes out computers will have exceded the ps3's graphics by 10 and a ps4 will not be out for another 3-4 years? Games like Half-Life2 are just to amazing on computers that people will not switch to console. I also must say that Console gaming is not as Competitive as PC gaming. PC gaming will be around much longer than Console gaming and If I am proven wrong then so be it. But I do not think that this is the case. Consoles just are not comfortable to play on. You cannot beat a good old mouse and keyboard. And the Online gaming community is much larger on PCs that it is on Consoles. I think I have proven my point. Computers can crank out far more power than a console can. So if PC gaming dies than Gaming dies.

About 2:30am here so a few errors. Sorry

[quote name='ThatOneOddDude']PC: I think that over the next year and the year after that the PC will completely die. There are a LOT of diehard nerds that only play PC games complaining that consols are inadequite, but with the rise of casual gamers, the rise of graphics on consoles, and the rise of great console games, the PC's future is looking pretty bleak. Not to sound stupid but, I kind of hope the PC dies. Im not even sure why, but something tells me the death of the PC, if handled intellegently, will turn out well. ![/quote]

Do you know anything about the PC gaming sector? lol

Some of the best selling games ever are on computer. Many titles continue to sell extremely well, such as the Sims series. As long as people use computers, people will play games on them. To expect PC gaming to die off is bizarre, but to actually [i]want[/i] it to is right out ridiculous. If you don't want to play it, then don't.

As for capabilities... Computers are always ahead in the graphics department. As soon as the console sector shows something impressive, the PC surpasses it. There's a reason all the future console's GPUs are being designed by companies like ATI and nVIDIA - they rule the PC market and know what they're doing. PCs will always catch up and surpass, just as they have in every generation.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']PCs will always catch up and surpass, just as they have in every generation.[/quote]

Although that's going to be increasingly difficult to do starting next generation. [B]If[/B] console games manage to reach the quality apparent in the Killzone video, then graphics will be a non-issue. Even when you look at games like Gears of War, you have to ask yourself "How much better do games have to look?" Still, what you're saying is completely true. PC gaming isn't in any danger.

My opinions:

XBOX-Things are not looking good considering Microsoft will halt production by early '06. More people(such as myself) will probably buy one when the impending drop to $99 occurs in november. That will probably boost sales.

360-So far I have seen good graphics, which really means nothing. We saw good graphics with NeoGeo Pocket and it flopped. Until some more gameplay comes up, the fate of this one is up in the air.

DS-Probably the brightest looking of any console. Just the thought of playing Animal Crossing and Katamari Damacy on the road...

GBA-Looking good, especially with gunstar heroes, one of the best games to come to the genesis.

Gamecube-So far only Zelda and Advance Wars excite me, but we'll see what nintendo has in store.

Revolution-Backwards compatability, all NES, SNES, and N64 games, and the fact that the games don't have to look like expensive offerings by EA and Epic on 360 and PS3 will help this console a lot. I see this one coming out on top this console race.

PS2-Burnout Revenge has me drooling, and I can't wait for We Love Katamari.

PS3-UT07 and Knockout Kings look good, but the cost and difficulty of the visuals will probably keep many developers from utilizing the power.

PSP- Games look good, but I don't want to think about how little battery life a game that accesses the UMD constantly(such as GTA or Burnout) will get.

NGage- With only 1.3 million units shipped and only 1 or 2 good games currently available, I see Nokia dropping support for this entirely by the end of Fiscal Year 2006.