OtakuBoards

Crazy People

benakittie

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Times New Roman]I was just wondering if anyone knows someone, lives with someone, or has to deal with people who have schizophrenia? My grandma has this and my mom tells me sadly that it's hereditary, so some day I might go crazy as well...But until then, no worries, ne?... My Aunt has it and sometimes she gets on my nerves with her paranoia and just craziness.

She takes everything to her room and hoards things. She sneaks around in the dark waiting to sneak in the fridge. She returns the food only when it's rotten. If we open the stuff she doesn't get it because she tells us we taint things. She does a lot of weird stuff, she once told my older sister that she was Jesus...

Just want to know if anyone else has to deal with this. Sorry, in a bad mood at the moment thinking about this. I'll try not to post when I'm like this from now on.[/FONT] [/COLOR]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I've had several great friends who are schizophrenic. Yes, it can become a bit tiresome at times, but they don't know that they are being tiresome. Sometimes they're painfully aware that they are being "abnormal" (in comparison), and then they are upset and unaware how to act. But that's in the earlier stages of schizophrenia.

Just to clarify things a bit-- schizophrenia is a degenerative brain disorder-- there is documentable grey matter deterioration occurring in the brains of schizophrenics.

And despite the retarded messages of mass media, a schizophrenic is not the same thing as a person with multiple personality disorder.

Schizophrenics have been mistaken as MPD cases for years, due to a grammatical misperception (AKA-- presumption).
"Schizo" means "to split", and it was referring to the aspects of a whole personality, not the individual splitting into two entities. Basically, personality has many aspects, such as behavior, emotion, cognisance, etc, and schizophrenics cannot integrate all of those fundamental pieces of a whole personality into one--so it was referred to as "personality splitting"-- basically, the entropy of a personality.

It had nothing to do with having multiple personalities, but just as "wherefore art thou..." has been transformed into "where are you?" (another horrible misinterpretation) the term "schizophrenic" and the phrase "split personality" have become synonymous with an entirely different disease.

So--getting the little lesson in psychology/vocabulary out of the way...*whistles nonchalantly*...

I think you should try to be a bit more patient with your loved ones that are experiencing this devastating disease-- they don't irritate you on purpose, and I'm sure that they never wanted to burden their family with it. Be a bit more empathetic, huh?

And yes, it can be hereditary-- the typical age of onset for males is 18-25 yrs old and for females it's around 30-35 yrs old, but there is a particularly horrible form of schizophrenia that is "early onset" (that can onset well before that)--and the prognosis is especially bad (as far as development of the brain damage and worsening of symptoms).

So--uh...good luck with that...
[/font][/b]

What [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]elfpirate[/COLOR] says is very true, they aren't doing it on purpose, they can't help it. A few years ago my grandmother started having problems with Dementia. I had no choice but to place her in a nursing home as she required 24 hour care. She's 93 years old and until a few years ago she took good care of herself. It can be hard for family members to believe they aren't behaving strangly on purpose, espically since usually before the symptoms start their behavior was normal.

I would recommend doing some research on the disease as it can help you to better understand what they are going through. I'm sure that most counslers could recommend some good books on the subject.

I was actually going to start a thread sorta like this. Good thing I checked first, heh. I'm going to take the liberty of expanding the thread to all mental illness; just so more people can share.

My mother has epilepsy. She has the worst case I've ever heard of, out of the people she goes to support groups with and cases online. She has seizers, a lot of them. About 20-40 peti-mal an [b]hour[/b], 2-3 grand-mal seizers a month. The doctors are doing all they can, such as placing her on about 15 different pills a day, to implanting a machine in her chest/neck to reduce them. Nothing is really working.

It's very hard. She'll start a task and forget why she started doing whatever it was in the first place. Conversations with her are very disjointed; she has no idea what we were talking about 3 minutes in. Her balance is shot, has to wear a mouth guard when she gets out of bed (to go to the bathroom or go down the stairs). The last time we had to leave her here with no one else in the house, she broke down in tears because she couldn't remember where everyone went...she thought we had abandoned her.

All this means that she can't function as a healthy adult should, no driving, no working. She gets Social security. My dad is in the Air Force, and is going to be activated and sent overseas in October. So, it'll just be my little sister, my mom and me. I'm going to have to do all the payments for the house and whatnot.

My mother is never going to get better.

Yeah, sorry about that. I just need some support. There really isn't much out there for the families of a mentally ill family member. Really really stressed out right now.

Okay, I'm done.

[color=#737373][font=franklin gothic medium]My cousin has this disorder. The worst part about it is that I vividly remember her when she was healthy. We all witnessed her decline with the illness.

When she first became sick her behaviors changed wildly. For a few days she weas entirely catatonic and it came very suddenly. After a while she actually improved and was getting better. But then she started to become more sick and now it's basically getting worse all the time.

It's sad because as I said, I remember her when she was healthy. She was a high achiever and very talented. Now she can take care of herself and she can understand certain things - for instance, she can still make a tea or coffee and she can wash dishes and stuff. She can do basic things. But she can't hold conversations and she tends to do scatter-brained, inappropriate things (ie: putting things in the wrong places or developing totally illogical perspectives about things).

It's a terrible disease though - I would hate to have such a thing. The worst part is that she seems to be aware that she is mentally ill, which must be terrible for her, because she is unable to really express herself accurately. The best she can do is draw together a few unrelated subjects and put them into a disjointed sentence. We do occasionally see coherent comments from her, but unfortunately it's rare.[/font][/color]

Does it count if my cousin is autistic? It is crazy behaviour because he runs around or used to run around the house making weird noises and waving soft toys around. He was echolailic as well, which means if you ask him a question he will repeat part of it back to you, "Do you want dinner now?" the reply, "Dinner now."

It's kinda sad cause my aunt sent him away and she just lives on the benefits she recieves from the government, which goes mostly to her own pleasures, only part pays for his boarding school fee (he's 18). She has a sports car now and my cousin is almost a commodity, a cash cow, for my aunt.

Hehe, well not to worry benakittie, just because some thing is hereditary doesn't mean you will get it. Well it might if the disorder is linked to a dominant gene though I'm not really up on that side of skitzo people. Ask your mother what the chances are that you will inherit it and also remember that the drugs and control for this sort of thing are better now than they ever have been in the past.

Though it isn't really a pretty one to get stuck with.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Mental disorders is something that greatly interests me since I hope to become some sort of psychologist some day ^^"

In my experience, I had a grandmother who was mentally ill that I had spent short but very close living space with throughout my childhood. The problem was, I was about 10 years old and no one cared to explain to me that she had some sort of disorder; to this day in fact I'm still not sure what she had because from what I could glean it was a combination of schizophrenia, manic-depressive and hallucinations :animesigh but like I said, no one bothered to explain to me so basically I was scared to death of her and of all other elderly people because I could only assume all elderly people sat there talking to themselves and be creepy in general.

I understand better now. I also realize she wouldn't have gotten better either. Sad.

To me though, the worst of my experience is when your friend is clinically depressed and you're still going through that teenage part of your life where you think things have fallen into place but really haven't. We went to hell and back -- correction, we went to hell and she wouldn't/couldn't leave and I don't therapy is helping much either. It seems to be a way to excuse random absences to indulge in the darker side of life.

That story is still going but I suppose as long as she lives there is the hope she can get better.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]Well, I live a few blocks away from a Mental Health Institute. A lot of the people with minor cases are allowed to walk around town sometimes, so I run into a lot of "crazy" people. It's just a day-to-day thing I have to deal with. It's normal here.[/color][/size]

[font=Comic Sans MS][b]The chances of developing schizophrenia are elevated if there are people in your family that have the disease-- elevated by almost 50%, if I remember my studies correctly. There are also psycho-social stressors that can bring about the onset of schizophrenia--especially if you are already genetically predisposed.

Yes, autism counts as a mental disorder, Break.

@ Both James and benakitty: I am truly sorry that your loved ones suffer from such a devastating disease. From spending much time around my two schizophrenic friends, I can empathise with your struggles. It is especially sad when you know that they are aware of their inability to function properly, and heartbreaking to watch them deteriorate.

As far as living with the mentally ill-- er... my family tolerates me, but they're often quite overwhelmed... let's put it that way.:animesigh
[/b][/font]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][quote name='elfpirate][font=Comic Sans MS][b] @ Both James and benakitty: I am truly sorry that your loved ones suffer from such a devastating disease. From spending much time around my two schizophrenic friends, I can empathise with your struggles. It is especially sad when you know that they are aware of their inability to function properly, and heartbreaking to watch them deteriorate. [/b'][/font][/quote]
[FONT=Times New Roman]

It's not THAT bad, you just have to get use to it that's all. My grandma and Aunt don't have multiple personality disorders, they just can't distinguish reality from past memories or their imaginations. She also forgets who we are sometimes. but it's okay. I still love my grandma, but my aunt is another thing. She irritates me sometimes and I think she's the only person who can really get under my skin. We use to take care of my grandma (Still house my aunt) but we had to send her to a conselence home. She's sick at the moment and I a little worried about her.

At first I was really sad she had to go, but later our house caught on fire. (Just the garage) and I was so glad she was somewhere else. So things work out all to God's plan. ^_^

Heh, I remember several times when t he police had to take my aunt home. It always worried my mom or dad when we came home. She always looked so mad. She wanders time to time with a blanket in a black garbage bag and carries a stick with her. She walked all the way across town once and a cousin of ours called us. She sounded really worried.

But crazy people can be interesting and fun at times. My Aunt Carmen is crazy as well, but she travels. My dad doesn't like talking to her, but my brother enjoys hearing her stories. *LOL* My favorite craazy story was my grandma talking about all the wives my dad has behind my mom's back. We would all laugh and tease him about it. We still do. [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[color=#332E1D][font=franklin gothic medium]It's only not that bad if you don't have to live with 'em/care for 'em.

My auntie has to factor her daughter into every aspect of her life, including daily activities. This is because she doesn't want to put her in a home. There is a constant danger though. Due to her state of mental illness, she could hurt herself or she could walk away and get lost or something. It does present a constant problem and a constant burden on her mother.

It sounds to me like your grandmother is simply senile. My great grandmother is like that too - her symptoms are very similar to what you're relating there. But that's obviously different from full-blown schitzophrenia.[/color][/font]

At school I've had several classes with a kid who has Asbergers Syndrome. It's a really rare mental disorder which was discovered by Hans Asberger who published his findings on the syndrome.
Characteristics of one with the syndrome are that they may have social problems, obsessive behavior, they can't read body language well, and are often subject to teasing and bullying from the "normal" kids.

It does get quite irritating at my school. The kid sounds like a little proffeser. He obsesses in quantam physics and D&D type things. He has poor hegiene and stuters alot and will constantly interrupt class with his comments on what is being learned and how the teacher is incorrect (usually he's wrong and makes a fool of himself but he doesn't know)

His entire family except for his mother suffers from the syndrome. It's inherited. The kid can't help it but sometimes it's funnier than hell.

I've seen this year however a change in the kids personality. He's actually starting to memorize people's name's after working with them for some time where in the past he would forget your name in as little as ten seconds.

He likes to joke also but often his jokes aren't funny which there's nothing wrong with. That sort of proves that his social side has been opening up.

[SIZE=1]My cousin has Asbergers Syndrome as well. Although, I don't really realize it too much. He tends not to hang out with me when he comes over (he's my age), and instead, he talks with the adults. Apparently, he finds it much easier to talk with adults than his peers. There have been extremely rare instances where he misses a social cue (respecting an elder, being serious for a moment, adjusting speech to fit another age range, etc), but I don't see it as too big of a problem.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=benakittie][color=DeepSkyBlue]
[font=Times New Roman]It's not THAT bad, you just have to get use to it that's all. My grandma and Aunt don't have multiple personality disorders, they just can't distinguish reality from past memories or their imaginations. [/font] [/color][/QUOTE] [font=Comic Sans MS][b]

Hm. I thought I had clarified the whole "Schizophrenia/MPD" thing... ah, well...

Schizophrenia is [i]most definitely[/i] deserving of my deepest condolences-- it [i]is[/i] that bad.

I'm absolutely baffled that you think that the deterioration of your loved one's brain is "not that bad". :animesigh

*Continues to gawk at the statement*
[/b][/font]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#990033"][b]My deepest apologizes to your Aunt Benakitty. It really is a bad disease. My uncle has Schizophrenia and is currently on medication, which helps a lot believe me. He would freak out from the hallucinations and one time had one where the house was on fire and threw my sister into the snow. This subject is very sensitive to me, especially since many say its hereditary. I would not like to get this illness, and definately glad that I don't have something as serious as that is. My uncle also claims that Jesus talked to him when he was in a hospital bed.

It's a really sad thing to watch and it's not as if he can help it. I've learned to accept many things about people with disabilities, because it's hard to go through life being different, especially when your that different from others. That is why I don't approve of making fun of those people. They just have problems. Serious ones that can't be helped. My grandma is growing somewhat senile especially after her stroke, but thats what happens when you get old.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[QUOTE=elfpirate][font=Comic Sans MS][b]

Hm. I thought I had clarified the whole "Schizophrenia/MPD" thing... ah, well...

Schizophrenia is [i]most definitely[/i] deserving of my deepest condolences-- it [i]is[/i] that bad.

I'm absolutely baffled that you think that the deterioration of your loved one's brain is "not that bad". :animesigh

*Continues to gawk at the statement*
[/b][/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Times New Roman]
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I don't know...it is depressing if you focus on it and think of all the bad, but hope keeps me going...It's harder on my mother, I had a kinda sad conversation with her. She said she was angry at them for leaving her alone having to care for them. I don't suffer, my mom does and I feel I have no right to say things are horrible when someone has it worst than I do...Hard to understand...I just really don't like it when ppl are like, "My life is a living hell!!" and the other typical teenager drmatics. My motto is, "Life is wonderful, it all depends on how you think of it." IT makes me feel better and gives me the courage to continue on.

But...thank you for your condolences, although I was looking ppl to relate to...I don't take pity too well if you haven't seen my post on pity...but I'm always trying to be a more compassionate person. ^_^ Thank you.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=benakittie][font=Times New Roman]
[color=DeepSkyBlue]I don't suffer, my mom does and I feel I have no right to say things are horrible when someone has it worst than I do...Hard to understand...I just really don't like it when ppl are like, "My life is a living hell!!" and the other typical teenager drmatics. My motto is, "Life is wonderful, it all depends on how you think of it." IT makes me feel better and gives me the courage to continue on.

But...thank you for your condolences, although I was looking ppl to relate to...I don't take pity too well if you haven't seen my post on pity...but I'm always trying to be a more compassionate person. ^_^ Thank you.[/color][/font][/QUOTE] [font=Comic Sans MS][b]I suppose I should have offered my condolences to you [i]and[/i] your loved ones (your mum, etc).

I guess what I'm going by is my experiences with schizophrenic people- and in my experience, it has been truly heart-breaking. Watching my young friend deteriorate (and having to protect him from those that don't understand and don't have empathy--ie:the people that think it's funny to mess with his head) has been really difficult.

Of course, it's not good to be focused on the negative aspects of anything, and mental illness is no exception. I definitely agree with you there.

My mate is still together enough to be aware of most things, and we can sometimes still have great conversations for a while before he slips back into disjointed psychotic babbling, and that just serves as a reminder that he's not okay, and that he'll get worse as time goes on. He doesn't really have anyone that looks after him and makes sure he has enough medication and that he's taking it, so sometimes it's really bad (Like the time he thought I and our mates pulled a gun on him-- and he sobbed hysterically for 3 hours, saying "I thought you were my friends! I thought you cared about me! Why do you want to kill me?" when, in fact, none of us were anywhere near a gun, we [i]did[/i] care about him deeply, and his life was never threatened). You can immediately tell when he's not been to hospital and has run out of meds.

I assume that to be the primary care-giver would be quite difficult, indeed, and that, in your position, as an onlooker, it's a bit easier to deal with and probably doesn't seem "that bad".

What exactly were you looking for when you said that you were looking for someone to relate to? There are plenty of us here that can relate to the struggles of mental illness, believe me.

Oh-and I wasn't giving you pity. If you read through that thread, you'll see that I loathe the giving and receiving of pity (Condolences and understanding are [i]not[/i] the same thing as pity).

I don't pity anyone--not even my dog.
[/b][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][FONT=Times New Roman] Well, I was just wanted to know I'm not alone. All my friends are normal and when I talk to them about it they seemed scared or horrified by it. I use to have one really good friend who had someone like that too and we were close friends. But she outsided me and I did nothing wrong. I reminded her of her past I guess and she was blocking everything out including all her friends except for her love interest. I felt really hurt because she made me a promise long time ago she wouldn't leave me. (I use to have issues) She was the first I believed...Just that when I posted this thread I couldn't handle keeping it quiet anymore. Bad mood I guess...

My aunt...I've had two experiences with her that wrecked my heart so much I no longer care for her...well, I do but no more than I want to. I know that sounds so cruel, but it's true...

The saddest part is that she taught me my religion . She wasn't always this bad... I remember all the bedtime stories and how she would comb my hair...it's just too sad to look back on...

I can't let my guard down around her for my safety and the safety of my nieces and nephews.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Benakitty, this is exactly what I was talking about. This disintegration of relationships and the deterioration of the personality that you once loved and found comfort in. That's the heartbreak I was talking about.

Your aunt is not the devil, and I know you know that, as well.

It's hard to look into their eyes and know that the person you love isn't in there anymore... and the brief little glimses of their old self that show once in a while only seem to make it harder.

Just remember that she can't help it, and that she needs your mom and your family-- she wouldn't survive without you guys. She doesn't mean to act like "the devil"...
[/font][/b]

I'm not going to actually tell you who in my family is a schizo, instead I'll just tell you he's very, VERY closely related to myself and the rest of my mom's side. Anyway, his case is so severe that he's become depressed and kind of enclosed himself outside of family relations and affairs because he's afraid of disturbing us. He grew up in highschool as quite a ladies man, even though he was happily gay and all of the sudden went crazy and started seeing stuff that wasn't actually there, hearing voices and stuff. He never really told anyone that he was a schizophrenic, instead he told my mom and her sisters about the things that he was imagining. My mom remembers seeing him once locking himself in her garage, talking to someone who wasn't there. And another time when he padded up the inside of his van with carpet for some weird reason (it made him feel more safe, I guess?). It's really sad, though. He was such a great guy and my mother misses him greatly and I don't remember ever meeting the guy. He just cut himself from the family. Right now I don't think he's working isntead he's living off of money he's saved over the years and he lives a very lonely life. =(