OtakuBoards

Ima Vs. Sun

Sun

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Alright, after getting my butt owned by Retri in a shut-out. I decided that i should be challenging other people on the boards. So here goes the beggining of [B]Ima vs. Sun[/B].

[B]Dimensions:[/B] Any, as long as it's a "banner." This means as long as it's not a splash (a relatively square image) it's fair game.

[B]Subject:[/B] Abstraction or Grunge (stock is a must). NO PRE-MADE BRUSHES!

[B]Deadline:[/B] Have it given to me as soon as you can.

As for you, voters, here's what you need to do for your vote to count:

Wait for the deadline before you start posting your votes. This is essential, as your vote won't be counted if you don't abide.

[B]Post a reply/analysis of AT LEAST two paragraphs. If your post is not two paragraphs in length, your vote will be disregarded. Explain your choice thoroughly, and the flaws that turned you away from the other banner.[/B]

Voting ends on Tuesday the 21st.

[B]Good luck to you Ima.

This is run by the GFX CLUB of the OtakuBoards.[/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Alright now that your entry is in here's mine.

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23797&stc=1[/IMG]

Let the voting begin. [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[color=navy][font=tahoma]I'd be obliged. I'll start off with my vote, then I shall explain. [b] My vote goes to Sun-kun.

Ima[/b]- Your banner is cute. I like the pink and the brush work. However, I feel that it could have a bit more time put into it. The font is a tad hard to read, and could be shadowed a bit to make it more visible. Your girl is small, and fuzzy. If that was your intention, that's all good and well. But I didn't find it moving enough to catch my vote.

[b]Sun[/b]- I liked this one because of the crispness. The background colors don't overpower Link's image, which is what I've found to be a slight flaw in some of the images you've spun out. This piece shows me progress, and Iam looking forward to seeing more. I absolutely like the font. It is full of a flare for power, almost lustful. The image of Link was perfect for the phrase you fonted.

Clean, clear, and beautiful image. My vote, again, rests with you [Sun].

Keep up the excellent work you two.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][B]Ima[/B]: Cute, but not defined enough. Motion-blur or nay, it doesn't add anything but a detrimental effect to the entire thing. Also, the border is far too thin and white to be of any use in this banner. It's a good effort, however. ~.^

[B]Rising Sun:[/B] Very nice. Crisp image with a well chosen background and typography. You could've moved Link a bit further to the right, but the banner hardly suffers for his positioning. I do think your little 'RS' on his cap doesn't really fit though.

Rising Sun gets my point.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Ima: While the background is nice, I don't think using the motion blur on the stock was the best idea as it makes her look a little too soft. Also, I don't think the colour choice you used for the girl makes her stand out very well against the background. Don't like the text, either, very sorry.

Rising Sun: I really like the way you contrasted the colours on Link, he looks lovely and sharp. Background is quite cool and fits the grunge theme very well. Also, the text looks nice. One thing I wish you?d done is make the background a little bit darker, not much, but I just think it may have more of an impact.

So, Sun gets my vote.[/SIZE]

[color=gray][size=1][b]Ima:[/b] The background is quite nice, but the image and the text on it ruins the whole banner which makes the whole thing bad while it could be nice.

[b]Rising Sun:[/b] Copy anything that Annie just said and add "w00t" to it. It's not as good as your Scorpion one (in my opinion), but it's really nice.
But really... Don't make your pixel text stand out so much, it doesn't look right. I told you this before and before. Why don't you use a grey instead of black for the text?

[i]Sun[/i] gets my vote.[/color][/size]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Ima-
You really are getting much better. The background and the stock matches perfectly with the text. The border may have looked better as a dark pinkish purple on OB's background, but not bad. As every person above me has noted, the motion blur doesn't work at all. That appears to be the deciding point in this, but that's pretty good considering how much longer Sun has been doing this stuff.

Sun-
I don't believe I've posted in your newest thread yet, but I have glanced at it many times. This reminds me far too much of your Naruto banners. (Stock-wise) and the background I believe was used by you before... Or at least something VERY similar. The font is different, (Though I do think you've used that many times as well) but otherwise, it looks just like all of your other works. Amazing as it is, it is just a spinoff of your older banners. Now to comment on the peice-

If I put into consideration your other pieces, it's alright. If I don't, it's great. A 9.5 at LEAST. The stock was extracted masterfully and is the crispest I've seen. The background (While repetative) is possibly one of the cleanest (And grungy at the same time) that I have ever seen. I agree that the RS on Link's hat doesn't add to the overall image, but I do love the font. That one's a keeper for sure!

Anyway, if I put all things I am thinking into consideration, Ima would problably get my vote, but that's not fair. Sun's is cleaner and flows far better, and it really is nicer in terms of stock usage.

Therefore, my vote must go to [b]Sun[/b].

edit- Hey, Sun, did you put text in the background? It looks like there is something hidden among the grunge... Kinda like XDM or something. Maybe I'm just crazy.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[size=1]Ima- You need a wider border. Two pixels would suffice, but it does need to be wider, to define the pale colours. Thin white + thin light pink chaos = not good. I don't think there was any call for you to say 'some people aren't familiar with Motion Blur'. Regardless of what you did, it is to the detriment of your banner. When you have nothing clean in your design already, something should be left to stand out. Contrast draws the eye to the key element of the banner. Oh, and the font is not elegant, and disappears too much into the banner. Sorry.

Sun- "I Want More" "One Emotion"... what is it, greed? Is that really what Link wants? I don't think so. Also the "I Want More" font seems... inappropriate. In addition to your lack of message, the font is...too harsh for the banner, I feel. Great stock work, and a nice contrast between the background and the focus. The banner background could do with removing the greyish portions...and just leave the primary white and green. Might look a bit better.

In conclusion, neither of your banners are anything new. This style has been around since 2000? If you've seen one you've seen them all. Rising Sun, you get my vote, but yeah... ~_^[/size]

[SIZE=1]Ima...if you would have started off with that I think I may just have given you my vote x.x Just shows you what a few bits of tweaking can do to an image.

Gah, I need to start making graphics again or I'm going to be beaten to death by all this amazing talent.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Hmm, i guess i win. no point in going to the deadline if Ima doesn't want to go on.
See Ima! A little border and some tweaking on the stock and you probably would've beat me. Great job! I hope the tutorials i gave you were helpful and i want to see what you are capable of in the future.

Nice battle my friend and i hope to do this again someday. [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Yes very soon since I was going to watch that one TUT But I did not.... Once I watch it I will probably be a much better "Texter" :P Well until then peace out....

Voting is closed but comments are welcomed =P

[font=Trebuchet MS][color=DarkSlateGray]I guess I could give my take, even though voting is closed. ^__^
I guess I can start with Ima's...I really really like the background. It's abstract, but at the same time, it has this sort of flow to it. It's all in all pretty nice looking. The stock...I wouldn't have left it all blurry. >__> If I were you, I would have blurred it (just like it is), but then taken the [b]exact[/b] samestock [i]before [/i]the blur, then placed it on top of the blurry one. It would have added the motion blur, but still kept the crispness of the image that you need. The text just needs a little bit of something to make it bolder...just like you fixed it on your update.

Sun......*scrunches up face* I don't like the background. >__> It just looks...not so pretty. It is realy chaotic and grungey....but it seems to be a bit overly so. The stock is gorgeous though. The extraction was clean, and the effects you added to it make it look really nice. I'm not exactly fond of that top text, but I can get over it. ^__~

I think, that if the thing had Ima's background (though different color and bigger) and Sun's stock....this would have kicked some serious tail....but it didn't. I really don't know who I would have given my vote to. ^__^ I like them both, but I dislike certain things about them that are equally important in my mind. Silly, indecisive me. >__<[/color][/font]