OtakuBoards

Suikoden Series

Kamuro

[SIZE=1]This series is one of my favorites and consists of some of the best games I've ever played. It has yet to consist of a game with intense graphics or online play, yet it continues to amaze me with each installment. Now I know what some of you might be thinking and although it's not near as popular or published as Final Fantasy, I believe it surpasses a lot of RPG games that are more knowledgeable among gamers. I believe Suikoden is a very underrated series of games with a lot to offer us.

I just recently purchased Suikoden IV and after reading the reviews I wasn't sure if it would be any good at all. It got bashed a lot and the average rating I got of the game was a 6. However, after beating the game I found that most of the reviews and "problems" with the game, were well, nonsense. It offers about 30-35 hours of gameplay on average. I spent around 40 getting all the Stars of Destiny, armor sets, runes, etc. As I said before, the graphics are way behind the times concerning the PS2's capabilities, but they really didn't bother me as I played. The voice acting was good and the story was really good as well. The character development concerning Snowe and Hero was amazing and Konami did a fantastic job with the intertwining of the characters, considering there was over 100 of them.

Which brings me to my next kudos concerning the game. The 108 Stars of Destiny within each Suikoden game allows a plethora of playable characters and support characters to use in your party. Games like FF (not including 11) usually offer around 8-10 playable characters, while Suikoden offers (on average) around 80 playable characters per game. Now of course, not all of these characters are winners, but some are just so interesting its hard to choose a certain number of them to use in battle. Well, luckily theres a remedy to this as well. Along with the RPG stereotypical random battles, there is also strategy battles where you are able to create several parties to battle with, rather then just one. Some of the strategy battles towards the end of Suikoden III were so complex I got frustrated trying to figure out who worked best with whom and how to set up my parties and such.

This brings the battle system into play. Its not the greatest out there but it works well with the amount of characters given. You can use regular attacks as well as combo attacks where two to four of the characters in your party can work together to execute an attack of a much larger scale increasing the damage you're able to do. Now with all these characters each game offers around 20-30 different character combos allowing for more diverse play.

Now all the things I've mentioned so far are great, but they aren't really why I love these games. I love them because of the plot, the characters themselves rather then just the number you get to use. It's hard to play a Suikoden game and not become enthralled with the story or feel connected to one of the characters in the game. Whether its a villain, a hero, or someone in between, theres always something or someone to relate to. It really allows for indepth gameplay and makes the twists and turns even greater and more surprising. Suikoden allows you to play the game over and over again learning something new each time. Theres always more stars to get and enemies to defeat allowing for much more playtime then just going through the game once. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the game? Likes, Dislikes, whatever? I'd like to hear what other people think.[/SIZE]

Squee for Suikoden~ The series doesn't get the attention it deserves T_T

Suikoden was the first and only video game that ever made me cry ^^; [spoiler] During the first game... I took Gremio's death pretty hard. Haha, I killed that guy with the fuufuu hat (I've forgotten his name?) as revenge XD and then reset the game and let him live so I could revive Gremio at the end ^^;[/spoiler]

Suikoden II is probably still my fave out of the series... the characters in three and four were a bit disappointing (though I still haven't beaten four yet, so...) I mean, I guess with 108 characters you might start to run out of ideas ^^; but four probably had a really poor looking cast (though some of them were really interesting once you learned about them.. I was a bit sad though T_T as I really wanted to cosplay as someone from Suikoden 4, since I'd already done cosplay for 2nd game)

Overall, the series is still great... but the first and second games are still my fave (I've just started the Suiko Gaiden games, so I'm not sure how amusing those are yet)

I miss Yuber though T_T It seems four was the only one where he wasn't present.

The Suikoden series is the only RPG series I've ever been loyal to mainly due to the way they approach their games. Instead of having the "crazy dude/dudette wants to take over/destroy the world" scenario, you are placed in the middle of civil wars and battles between bordering nations. You don't just have to stop one person but whole nations and armies.

To do this you do what makes the most sense... make an army. With the army you decide you need a home base. Now I haven't played the fourth yet (no money :animecry:) but the castle/homebase alone will keep me occupied for hours. Just the customization alone makes it worth-while. You get your own armory, item shops, inns etc.

I didn't like S3 all that much because I felt they went warped a lot of characters personalities from what they should've been after S2 (Luc). But I'll still consider S2 the best RPG I've ever played..... ever.

It makes me feel really bad to have only played the first Suikoden game. [spoiler]Gremio's death didn't upset me. I kinda hate characters that are too nice, speaking of which, I disliked Aeris as well.[/spoiler] I really enjoyed the game, though. It saddened me when the wars in the game would permantently kill off one of my favorite characters. I had a problem with the lack of save points in some areas, like where you have to fight a dragon, then duel one of the important enemies; but that's just nitpicking. I'm thinking about picking up Suikoden 3 (since I keep hearing that Suikoden 4 is bad). I also hate the fact that these games become incredibly hard to find, I really wanted to buy Suikoden 2 a long time ago, but I never saw a copy in stores. In fact, to this day, I've never seen Suikoden 2 up close and personal.

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess'] I'm thinking about picking up Suikoden 3 (since I keep hearing that Suikoden 4 is bad). I also hate the fact that these games become incredibly hard to find, I really wanted to buy Suikoden 2 a long time ago, but I never saw a copy in stores. In fact, to this day, I've never seen Suikoden 2 up close and personal.[/quote]
I don't know about 4 (haven't played it yet, again I'm horribly broke) but 3 was definitely the weakest of the three I played. Its just not as epic as 1 or 2 was and feels more like its milking the features 2 and 1 had but it does nothing new for a Suikoden series. I just didn't care for the characters the game forced on you. The deaths of friends wasn't as memorable or credible compared to 1 and 2 either. Plus I missed the overhead look compared to the 3d look that just about every other RPG uses so I felt that it lost some originality. I enjoyed 3 but just because I was such a fan of the first two. Just like how I'm picking up 4 as soon as I get money just because it has "Suikoden" in the title.

You're not going to have an easy time finding S2 as its worth a lot of money now since its become so famous in the minds of most RPG fans. If you do find it expect to fork out between $30 and $130 as far as I can see from the results of an ebay search. Its a great game but I didn't spend over $50 to play it when it came out, and personally if I spent over $60 on a game it damn well better grace me with the light of god. So I would see someone being dissapointed with this game considering how advanced other games have become since then. So unless you're rich or "money just aint a thang" I would suggest spending no more than $30, or borrowing it from a friend.

Its a great game but the fact that its a collecters item is preventing other from enjoying the experience it provides. Oh and did I mention S2 was my favorite? Cuz it is.

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess'] I'm thinking about picking up Suikoden 3 (since I keep hearing that Suikoden 4 is bad). I also hate the fact that these games become incredibly hard to find, I really wanted to buy Suikoden 2 a long time ago, but I never saw a copy in stores. In fact, to this day, I've never seen Suikoden 2 up close and personal.[/quote]

Suiko4 really isn't that bad... the only think I hate about it is that it takes for-freaking-ever to sail from one place to the other (and thank God for Viki). But I guess it depends on what you like... I like 3, but prolly only because of Yuber ^^;

Suikoden 2 is probably hard to find because they released it in limited quanities thinking it wouldn't do so great... if you're lucky, you can find it at a flea market or some such for around $10-20... it goes for a lot of money otherwise O_O EB games used to sell it for like $60 (I can't remember if the price recently went up or dropped though).

Suikoden 2 is my fave XD; so I'd fork out $60 for it ^^;;;;

It's the only series I buy the game day one ^^; so I've got all of them (spin offs and all *shot dead* minus the GBA card game XD; )

EDIT--

randomly, I've always loved the "knights" in Suikoden... (Camus and Miklotov in 2, Alan and Grenseal (sp?) in the first one)... but the Knights in 3 were sort of a let down ~_~ Percy was alright, but I didn't care for Borus. 4 doesn't seem to have knights at all O_o; cry

Pesmerga and Yuber need to come back though T_T

I found the Knights of the Suikoden series to be a bit more Flamboyant then a lot of characters (Except Vincent and that other french guy) but that shortcoming is made up for in their Battle usefullness. Anyway, Now that I have added to that random statement I will say something worthwhile.

Suikoden 2 is one of the few RPGs that can hold a candle to Final Fantasy 3(Oh wait, Bugger a candle how about a huge bloody Bonfire) and since FF3 is believed to be the best RPG ever by many RPG players. I find that the best things concerning the Suiko series is the fact that there is so much room for Parties and the fact that characters seemed so lifelike to me. But then again since I love this series then I guess it is up to personal choice.

I heard that S4 had an insane amount of random battles, and ship vs. ship fighting didn't help much, even though it's cool. I've read several reviews about how sailing from place to place became annoying and one of the reviews asked this question: If they knew players wouldn't enjoy sailing from place to place (to the point where they fixed it with a character who can teleport you), why did they do it in the first place? If I get the money for the game, I'll buy it, sometime between Tekken 5 and Guild Wars, lol. Hopefully by then we'll see it for $30.

[SIZE=1]I read those very same reveiws which had me really skeptical about whether or not the game would be any good (I beat it). Well, the ship sailing does get a bit annoying, but as soon as it becomes mildly old, you get Viki and don't need it anymore. It's only rough when sailing from one side of the map to another, far islands can take quite awhile. But a lot of the islands are clustered together and trips aren't nearly as long as the reviews make them seem.

Ocean battles are alright, nothing spectacular though. You can battle from afar with rune cannons or come in close and hop aboard the enemies ship and fight hand-to-hand. The strategy is that some runes do well against others and you have to choose the best runes to use against your opponent so that the battle ends up in your favor. You choose a captain, 1-3 people to man rune cannons, and 4 people to fight hand-to-hand if you decide to board another ship or another ship decides to board you. It's mildly fun really.

Suikoden IV reviews are way out of perspective. They see one flaw such as the sailing and forget about the other things that really make the game spectacular. No it's not as good as the first installment of the series but it really is a great game. Especially if you are a Suikoden fan. It had a less amount of really inspiring characters, but the ones you actually develop a connection with our truly amazing. Snowe, for example, is a very complex character. And in the beginning of the game you might hate him, but towards the end you'll find that he's really not so bad, and he has an amazing combo with Hero lol.

As for Suikoden III, I totally see what you guys are saying. But without having played the whole game, you just can't grasp how good it is. I might even say that it's my favorite of the series. The characters are truly fantastic and the battles become even more and more epic throughout the game. It has an amazing ending and although one of my favorite characters doesn't fare so well (Luc), it offers a great amount of satisfaction and loads of game time. I've been through it at least 4-5 times, playing different characters in different orders and choosing different flame champions. It's quite fun really.

I've beaten Suikoden II but regretably got rid of the game. I've been trying to get a new one forever but can't seem to find one. If any of you have one you don't want anymore, hit me up lol. I've found it easier to find copies of Suikoden I rather then II. Anyhow, the series is spectacular and I encourage all of you to pick up Suikoden III and IV if you havn't already. I promise you won't be disappointed.

And by the way, Suikoden III's knights are a bit lackluster, but Percival is great :D [/SIZE]

I really enjoyed the first two. I bought the original when it came out for the Playstation and played the hell out of it, largely because I felt it was the best RPG on the system at the time. It's a bit dated in some ways now, I suppose, but there was just so much to do that I never really concerned myself with much outside of the fact that I was enjoying it.

II absolutely owns the first, however. I think it's the best in the series. It has the best story, characters and pacing on all four games.

As for III, I really enjoyed it for awhile. At some point I kind of just stopped playing it and I have no idea why. I wound up selling it, which I actually really regretted. It looked great and had some interesting mechanics (trading items between towns is a great idea that I'd love to see in more titles) and I liked most of the characters. I wasn't a huge fan of the battle system, though, and I absolutely HATED the whole "tunnel dungeon" design (which also appears in FFX). What's the point?

I've not played IV.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']...and I absolutely HATED the whole "tunnel dungeon" design (which also appears in FFX). What's the point?[/quote]

ANY dungeon crawling part in an otherwise good game is a bad thing. Speaking of FF, I hated how all of FFX-2's dungeons look the same.

I also remember the plot points being too rushed in the first game. I wanted go around an explore and get more characters, but instead that elf guy (Kirkis? I don't remember) appears at the castle and we have to go on this big quest immediately and just when you think you can go back, you have to travel to the other side of the continent to build a cannon (whatever breaks that mirror), fight a few more bosses... and then maybe you can go back to the castle. Needless to say, I missed out on quite a bit, I'm sure. I just wish there was a working "Not yet" button, but everytime they included a choice, it was useless, someone was always like "No, time is of the essence! And that time is now!" It's because of this fact that I haven't really picked it up again, but I'll probably consider it... after I get my PS2 working well again (It only plays the clear [silver] discs).

[SIZE=1]I agree with Generic as far as dungeons go. Places like "Mountain Path" could definitely take a good amount of time to go through. But once again, Viki is the remedy to this problem and after getting her it's a lot easier to travel from one place to another without having to travel through the long-winded dungeons and such.

In the first Suikoden things were a lot more linear then the games you see today. I'm not sure why they make it that way but I suppose it makes the gaming a bit safer and although you don't get the characters you want as soon as you want them, you do get them eventually. The new games have remedied that situation and there is always an option of whether or not to actually go on the mission.[/SIZE]

• 2 years later...
[COLOR="Navy"]Bah, I've been looking for some games to try out (RPG's to be exact) and people kept telling me to buy Suikoden 1, 2, or 3. Reading the reviews at Gamespot and IGN got me interested, but they don't explain what I'm looking to hear about the battle system lol.

I've been reading that the battle system is like your average RPG, and whatnot, but I also keep getting (from people in general) that it plays like one of them tactical RPG's. (I hope I'm hearing / reading it wrong) Like Final Fantasy Tactics. Is that true? I really hate that type of gameplay.[/COLOR]

Well, there are tactical components in the large scale war battles, these aren't very common though. In regular battles, it plays based on speed of characters which gives a certain order to things. As an example, you have a party with Kasumi and Pesmerga in it. Kasumi is easily amongst the fastest characters in the game so she will always get first attack in battle. However, her defense is quite terrible and she can only fight in the front row so she is vulnerable to enemy monsters. Pesmerga is the opposite to this, he is insanely slow but is nigh indestrusctible so he can easily hold his own in the front.

The speed of your characters actions are also influenced through some things; when using a combination attack then the speed of the attack will always gauge itself on the speed of the character that selected it.. Additionally, healing and defensive spells cast much quicker than offensive speels so they can get cast earlier in a turn.
If you want a [U]good[/U] explanation then look around on suikosource.com as it is a suikoden fansite where you can read up onm the history of hte series and hte gameplay mechanics.

• 2 years later...
[size=1][color=green]Alright people. [b]Suikoden 5[/b], I need some opinions about the game. Hardly anyone talks about the game, or rather, I've run into more stuff about Suikoden 2 (which I am not dishing $100+ for) and 3. And to be honest I'm split on which one to get (3 or 5), but I'm leaning heavily towards 5 because I like how it looks. (I've yet to see how S3 looks)[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Magus'][SIZE=1][COLOR=green]Alright people. [B]Suikoden 5[/B], I need some opinions about the game. Hardly anyone talks about the game, or rather, I've run into more stuff about Suikoden 2 (which I am not dishing $100+ for) and 3. And to be honest I'm split on which one to get (3 or 5), but I'm leaning heavily towards 5 because I like how it looks. (I've yet to see how S3 looks)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

I have Suikoden III through V.

Both are decent games in their own right (in my opinion), but I personally lean towards five. While Suikoden III has the split perspective thing going on, giving you a closer look at different sides of the story, it also serves to distance you somewhat from the storyline since the timeline doesn't remain completely intact and your focused character changes at times.

I won't forget the time I found some rare armor from a powerful enemy I happened to find while journeying fifty miles from the place I was supposed to. Turned my Chris into a beast.

Number Five's battle system has also gotten a few new features, including the formation system and some new runes. The storyline itself irritates at parts, and there are a few main characters that come across as annoying instead of compelling and fall short on redeemable qualities at times, but I certainly don't regret my time spent with the game. It's fun. It's not going to invoke nearly the same reaction as Suikoden II, but it's not bad.

Oh, and the main character is a male. Bishounen, but male all the same. Don't be fooled by the cover like I was >.<;