OtakuBoards

Corpse Bride

Dragon Warrior

[center][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3054/corpsebride3vg.jpg[/img][/center]

You don't need to be a crazed Tim Burton fan like me to get excited over this movie. We all know Tim's stop-motion animation style from [b]The Nightmare Before Christmas[/b] was brilliant and this is no different. I first heard about this almost two years ago and have been hooked since. I've never wanted to see a film so badly and it looks beautifully done thanks to the new trailer!

[URL=http://corpsebridemovie.warnerbros.com/video.html]CLICK HERE AND WATCH TRAILER 2[/URL]

I must've watched that trailer a million times now XD

The story to [b]Corpse Bride[/b] is that Victor Van Dort (Johnny Depp) is scheduled to be married to a young woman named Victoria (Emily Watson) thanks to both their parents. Victor can't go through with it, so he runs. Upon running, he finds a root in the ground that looks like a hand. He playfully places the ring on the "finger" of the root... but it turns out the root is an arm; the arm of the Corpse Bride (Helena Bonham Carter). She considers them married and now he's in all sorts of trouble. He's said to be married to corpse, but has to marry Victoria. And to make matters worse, a murder mystery forms to the Corpse Bride's death. How exciting!

The cast is delightful as well. I don't even recognize Depp's voice. He does a great job as usual. There are familiar Burton favorites from Helena Bonham Carter to Christopher Lee. Can't argue with these actors. The plot is based on an old Russian tale where a very similar occurance happens (man about to be married places ring on corpse hand for funniness, hahahahaha, bad idea, corpse wakes, loves him, bad juju :( ), but naturally Tim advances the plot and makes it more intriguing.

Though it's an old Russian tale, Tim also puts in some history where in the 19th century in Russia. People on their way to a Jewish wedding would be attacked by anti-semites and the bride would be murdered and buried in her wedding gown. How tragic. This brings in the part of the "murder mystery" in the movie. I can't wait!

Danny Elfman does the music again and plays the character Bonejangles and Deep Roy is Napoleon (wtf?). It should get interesting from that as well.

I can't wait, how about you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think I really became a major Tim Burton fan in 1994, when The Nightmare Before Christmas came out to cinemas here. So that's what? About ten years or so. In any case, I'd seen his work before that but I was probably a little young to fully appreciate it. I mean, I'm 22 now, so I would have only been about 12 at that time.

The main thing that appeals to me about Burton is that he's a lot like my favourite children's author, Roald Dahl. His stories are basically family friendly (probably skewed a little toward children), but he doesn't treat children like idiots - he understands that children love horror and the grotesque. Children do love gruesome fairy tales for a reason, afterall. And Burton's films generally have that "gruesome fairy tale" vibe.

Anyway, I heard about this film some time ago and I was very pleased to see the first trailer last year. You may remember that I had a series of Corpse Bride banners quite some months ago. It was a bit frustrating that nobody was really talking about the film then, but it seems to have some more exposure now, which is great.

I know that there are a lot of TNBC lovers here, so I don't have to point out why this film is going to be so fantastic. Apart from the gorgeous art and direction, you've got talented writing and a highly talented case of actors. So yeah, I'm very much looking forward to this film.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']It was a bit frustrating that nobody was really talking about the film then, but it seems to have some more exposure now, which is great.[/font][/quote]

Ha, you should've came to me and we could have a jolly old chat XD

But yeah, [b]The Nightmare Before Christmas[/b] was one of the films that turned me into the Burton fan I am. But I was even younger than you when it came out, so disappointingly so... I was actually a tad afraid of it. Which is a shame and kind of amusing. I was thinking that to myself last night before sleep that something I love so much now I actually feared when I was little and I can remember thinking I'd never watch that movie and like it. Boy, was I wrong.

I think it was actually [b]Sleepy Hollow[/b] that started me. When that came out I was too young still and my parents didn't want me seeing it. But not long after Pirates of the Caribbean came out that I wanted to see Johnny Depp's other work since I so loved Jack Sparrow. So my parents let me watch Sleepy Hollow. I wasn't disappointed! I was already familiar with Burton's name since I knew he created TNBC, but I had no clue what a genius he really was. I saw his name for directing Sleepy Hollow and was happy I recognized.

Then I watched TNBC and I was hooked. I immediately loved Tim Burton. As you can see, that wasn't too long ago that I really started liking him, but I've been a fanatic for his artistic tastes ever since. I don't really like him because he redoes other stories (though that is fascinating). I like him because he has his own style and this style is artistic, creepy, and dark at the same time. And I love it.

Corpse Bride shall be a sensation, no less. I simply love how the whole atmosphere is sorta black and white, old gothic look. As if a splash of color isn't possible to paint in. Then you get into the land of the dead and it's colorful. What a treat this movie will be >:^D

[SIZE=1]I don't really like the whole premise for the movie. Is it just me, or does this movie say "Necrophiliac" all over?

I liked The Nightmare Before Christmas, but I'm not really a Tim Burton fan. I heard the Chocolate Factory movie was pretty weak... Anyway, I guess I'll give it a chance. >_>[/SIZE]

Some people were just being sour over the fact that it's another Chocolate Factory movie even though it's way different than [b]Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory[/b]. I say don't take advice from people about what [i]you[/i] will like, but instead see for yourself. That's what I do with movies. I never listen to anyone.

I will say if you like TNBC, you may like this. I don't see "necropheliac" in it since he's clearly frightened of the whole situation (at first, perhaps). But I can't argue that it won't be unusual. I just find it fascinating. :^D

Tim's work does tend to be a tad on the uncanny side.

[SIZE=1]I mean, yes, in the beginning he's afraid of the Corpse. But as the movie goes on, it's clear he's going to fall in love with ... it? her? That fact alone makes the movie kind of queer. I enjoyed The Nightmare Before Christmas; and if I remember correctly, it had a happy ending. The only way for this movie to be happy in the end is if Victor loves the Corpse, which I find quite disturbing.

I'm glad you find it fascinating at least.[/SIZE]

That might not be true. We don't know the whole plot, so we can't make assumptions on the ending. But yes, it is a tad queer. But that's Tim Burton. And just thank God this is a stop-motion animation, not a real life movie. Then it might be rated R for some unnatural imagery XD

[SIZE=1]I'm torn on the subject. I'm not a Tim Burton fan, even less so after "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," which was well below par in my own opinion. Maybe it's just my spite towards remakes but I didn't like it very much at all. As for Depp, he's a good actor, but I think he's out there just a bit to much. I think people would be more excited to see him in a movie if he wasn't in every other one coming out. Especially with similar actors in each one, it just gives off a feeling of having been done before, even if the idea is new.

Tim Burton's ideas give off a "breakthrough" feeling, some things none of us would have thought of, but when you take a step back and really look at each movie, you'll see similarities maybe you might not have before. I do like the idea of this movie and "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was quite the film, but I definitely have my doubts.[/SIZE]

Well, of course Burton's films have similarities. He has his own style and what you're seeing is that style. He does have a group of people he uses like Johnny Depp, Danny Elfman, and Christopher Lee, but so far it has not bothered me because they do a superb job with their roles that I don't see a flaw. Their characters are always different so it's not like watching the same actor over again. Some people might look too much into and say "Not that actor again," but they forget they're a different character. Movies are stories told with pictures and to fully enjoy them, we have to leave the real qorld and get into the pretend the story tells.

[SIZE=1]Sure, the characters in the movies are different, some very different, even opposite. But as Tim Burton has his own style, so do actors like Johnny Depp. Even in roles that lack similarities, a lot of the time you can see through them and the acting is overshadowed by an outside force almost jading the character. Don't you think you'd love a Depp movie even more if you had to wait for it?

Wondering when he'll do another movie and you'll get to see his acting again after his previous endeavor? It just seems to be to much of a good thing. Depp, over and over again. Tim Burton's outlandish movies becoming, well, not so outlandish.[/SIZE]

It wasn't Tim Burton who chose Depp for Wonka, though. It was the producers who wished for Depp to be in that. And who can complain about him being in [b]Corpse Bride[/b] since it's only his voice (which he changes so I can't even recognize him XD). And I have been waiting for a Depp movie... called [b]Corpse Bride[/b] :^D I just still haven't seen any flaw in having Depp in the movies. I think I'm too into the film to really care.

[QUOTE=Kamuro][SIZE=1]Sure, the characters in the movies are different, some very different, even opposite. But as Tim Burton has his own style, so do actors like Johnny Depp. Even in roles that lack similarities, a lot of the time you can see through them and the acting is overshadowed by an outside force almost jading the character. Don't you think you'd love a Depp movie even more if you had to wait for it?

Wondering when he'll do another movie and you'll get to see his acting again after his previous endeavor? It just seems to be to much of a good thing. Depp, over and over again. Tim Burton's outlandish movies becoming, well, not so outlandish.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't think Depp is overexposed anymore than any other actor. There are a million actors who get more roles than Depp, but who are completely inferior in terms of talent.

The reason I've never worried about overexposure of Depp was because he's a brilliant actor - each of his characters is different and he has the ability to remove himself from a role. Some actors really always play themselves. I think people like Jack Nicholson come to mind with something like that. Not that it's bad, but they aren't the kind of character actor that Johnny Depp is.

And Retri, what's with the necrophilia? I've always found it hypocritical for people to be so puritanical, but to jump to some sort of sexual depravity as their first conclusion about things. I mean, geeze, lighten up. lol[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']And Retri, what's with the necrophilia? I've always found it hypocritical for people to be so puritanical, but to jump to some sort of sexual depravity as their first conclusion about things. I mean, geeze, lighten up. lol[/font][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I'm not trying to preach a gospel or anything... but a man falling in love with a dead corpse? I'm not trying to be hypocrtical, nor do care about necrophilia because this person 'is going to hell' or whatnot. It's more of ... a social stigma.

It's kinda hard to enjoy a movie went the main character's love interest is losing limbs and whatnot. >_>;; Just a personal preference, mind you.[/SIZE]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']The main thing that appeals to me about Burton is that he's a lot like my favourite children's author, Roald Dahl. His stories are basically family friendly (probably skewed a little toward children), but he doesn't treat children like idiots - he understands that children love horror and the grotesque. Children do love gruesome fairy tales for a reason, afterall. And Burton's films generally have that "gruesome fairy tale" vibe.[/font][/quote][color=#6699cc]I can't even begin to explain how much you hit the nail on the head here. I feel like I should do nothing but quote this paragraph ten times in a row, heh.[/color]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]I'm not trying to preach a gospel or anything... but a man falling in love with a dead corpse? I'm not trying to be hypocrtical, nor do care about necrophilia because this person 'is going to hell' or whatnot. It's more of ... a social stigma.

It's kinda hard to enjoy a movie went the main character's love interest is losing limbs and whatnot. >_>;; Just a personal preference, mind you.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It's all very much a wickedly dark fairy tale. Morbid, perhaps. It's like the Frog Prince or any other story of a person loving someone who they cannot normally love. But we don't know if Victor ends up loving the Corpse Bride, even if the trailers do look like they show such events. But like I said, like the Frog Prince, it's just another crazy fairy tale with an unusual plot.

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']it's just another crazy fairy tale with an unusual plot.[/quote]
[SIZE=1]exactly my point, it's been done before. It all just seems so cliche to me, especially since Burton is involved. No matter how weird the story or abstract the idea I just get the feeling I've seen it before. Depp is a great actor, but I definitely think he's overexposed. It just takes away from the movie intrigue. They both have my respect, but as far as this movie go's, I'm just not interested.[/SIZE]

And that's fine. You don't have to want to see it XD I respect your opinion. But I still think you should look past the fact that Depp is playing the character. You'll truely like it better if you stop imagining the actor instead of the character. And what hasn't been done before? I admit Burton remakes a lot of things or does stuff based off a lot of other projects, but it's still a treat to see it redone or just plain done in a new way or differently. Corpse Bride... sure, it's an old Russian tale, but it's never been done with stop-motion animation and never with Burton style. I can't wait :^D

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]

It's kinda hard to enjoy a movie went the main character's love interest is losing limbs and whatnot. >_>;; Just a personal preference, mind you.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]But don't you see? That's the joke! It's [i]funny[/i].

It's like Nightmare Before Christmas, where Jack Skellington's love interest was basically a Frankenstein's Monster. You know? She kept having to sew her arms back on and she used her leg as a weapon. It's supposed to be gruesomely charming.

I just don't know how you can enjoy life without getting that. lol[/font]

Many people seem to have the idea that Burton was entirely responsible for every aspect of NMBC. True, he came up with the idea and the basic designs, but he wasn't there for a vast majority of the production and he certainly didn't direct it. Most of what made NMBC special, in my opinion, was thanks to Henry Selick and Danny Elfman. Without Selick's direction, design and general amazing stop-motion animation style and experience that movie would have been nothing. Same deal with Elfman writing the songs and being Skellington's singing voice.

In this case, Burton is directing and I'm sure it will turn out fine, but Burton gets way too much of the praise for NMBC and everyone else that was more important to the overall project is largely forgotten.

As for this movie specifically, I've been interested in it since the very first production image appeared in some magazine (I posted it on my site, maybe someone remembers.... months and months ago; James seemingly initially saw it there too lol). I'm a big fan of stop-motion animation and I'm glad at least some major productions involving it still exist. The movie concept itself doesn't sound as interesting to me, but obviously I've not seen the movie and I'm remaining open about all of it. I'm definitely looking f forward to it at least.

I don't really see why using experienced actors would ever detract from an animation either... I mean, you can't really enjoy any animated film in the last few decades if you believe that.

The trailer makes the movie look pretty awesome, if you ask me. Amusingly, I watched NMBC when I was a kid and it [i]freaked me out[/i]--so much so that I turned it off three-fourths of the way through and have to this day felt rather leery about seeing it in full. Then again, I also lost sleep over Watership Down. :p

At any rate, Corpse Bride is definitely going to be quite different from all the Nemo/Incredibles/etc. stuff out there, and that's cool as far as I'm concerned.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]Many people seem to have the idea that Burton was entirely responsible for every aspect of NMBC. True, he came up with the idea and the basic designs, but he wasn't there for a vast majority of the production and he certainly didn't direct it. Most of what made NMBC special, in my opinion, was thanks to Henry Selick and Danny Elfman. Without Selick's direction, design and general amazing stop-motion animation style and experience that movie would have been nothing. Same deal with Elfman writing the songs and being Skellington's singing voice.

In this case, Burton is directing and I'm sure it will turn out fine, but Burton gets way too much of the praise for NMBC and everyone else that was more important to the overall project is largely forgotten.

As for this movie specifically, I've been interested in it since the very first production image appeared in some magazine (I posted it on my site, maybe someone remembers.... months and months ago; James seemingly initially saw it there too lol). I'm a big fan of stop-motion animation and I'm glad at least some major productions involving it still exist. The movie concept itself doesn't sound as interesting to me, but obviously I've not seen the movie and I'm remaining open about all of it. I'm definitely looking f forward to it at least.

I don't really see why using experienced actors would ever detract from an animation either... I mean, you can't really enjoy any animated film in the last few decades if you believe that.[/QUOTE]

On your last paragraph, that's what I'm saying. You don't see the actor, so why does it matter who's doing it? If they're experienced it's even better because they'll put on a better performance than an inexperienced person, most likely.

And I am aware Burton doesn't do everything. In fact, my favorite Burton film is [b]Big Fish[/b], but he didn't write it. He directed it, yes, but the brilliant plot and such was done by an author named Daniel Wallace and the screenplay by a man named John August. People do give him much credit, but I still love his style when he puts it in. His style is still present in TNBC (his designs, art, etc.) and that's what I mainly give him credit for when it comes to his movies. His style, not that he does everything else. I love Danny Elfman too because without his brilliant scores, even Burton might've lacked.

[quote]Many people seem to have the idea that Burton was entirely responsible for every aspect of NMBC. True, he came up with the idea and the basic designs, but he wasn't there for a vast majority of the production and he certainly didn't direct it. Most of what made NMBC special, in my opinion, was thanks to Henry Selick and Danny Elfman. Without Selick's direction, design and general amazing stop-motion animation style and experience that movie would have been nothing. Same deal with Elfman writing the songs and being Skellington's singing voice.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]This reminds me of Shigeru Miyamoto. He tends to be given an omnipotent kind of quality by many people (especially with the Mario and Zelda games), but he hasn't been in the director's chair for many years now. Although that's [i]slightly[/i] changing with Twilight Princess, where he has some more direct involvement as a producer.

I would say that Burton is similar. Without him, clearly, none of these films would be possible. It's his vision and his artistic style that really defines these films. But by the same token, it has to be recognized that he is not the only person who is driving the creative engine on these things. So in that sense, I'd say it's definitely very similar to Shigeru Miyamoto.

I mean, we can thank Miyamoto for inventing Mario, but we should probably thank Koizumi for Super Mario Sunshine and Aonuma for The Wind Waker.[/font]

[quote]As for this movie specifically, I've been interested in it since the very first production image appeared in some magazine (I posted it on my site, maybe someone remembers.... months and months ago; James seemingly initially saw it there too lol). I'm a big fan of stop-motion animation and I'm glad at least some major productions involving it still exist. The movie concept itself doesn't sound as interesting to me, but obviously I've not seen the movie and I'm remaining open about all of it. I'm definitely looking f forward to it at least.
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The very first time I saw anything from this film was when someone linked me to a poster via IM. That might have been you, I don't remember.

But of course, as with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I'd known about the film for some time before that. It's the same with anything though - there are often a number of films I look forward to simply based on title and those involved (or at least, I tend to follow their progress more than other films on that basis). Pretty much any new film that Burton makes interests me, even though I haven't really liked all of his works.

Anyway, I agree it's great that stop-motion production is still going on at this level. Considering Disney's apparent issues with 2D animation lately, it's nice to know that there are people doing something other than 3D CGI work. I don't really have anything against that work in particular, but it's always nice to see people attempting other methods.[/font]

I'd love to see more Stop-Motion Animation, but it does take a whole lot more work, patience, and determination. I can't believe the people can come to work every day and spend their whole work time moving characters a millimeter, film it, and repeat. Then if there's a mistake, they have to redo a huge chunk of it. It's not very promising work, but when it's done, it can be whimsical. I loved TNBC and [b]Vincent[/b] was great too, so just another reason why I should be excited for CB. It probably wouldn't be as great if it were regular animation or even CGI.

[size=1]I can say that I'm very excited to see the movie. I'm always fascinated with Burton's movies. I think the first movie that caught me, and still moves me today, is [b]Edward Scissorhands[/b]. I remember watching it when I was a little girl, and not really understanding it...perhaps, even a bit frightened of it. But, it's one of his classics and it really sticks in my childhood memories. I've loved every movie from Burton [that I've seen].

Besides, Danny Elfman happens to be my favorite composer. And I agree with DW, Elfman's music is "just for" Burton movies. I mean, he did well for Spiderman, but I believe that Elfman was made for Burton movies. His music is incredible, and unmatched. I can't say enough for Danny..

Is Elfman doing the music for Corpse Bride? [/size]