OtakuBoards

Corpse Bride

Dragon Warrior

Yes, he is doing the CB score. And I don't think I ever said he was only made for Burton. I think I said he is perfect for Burton and without him Burton's movies wouldn't be what they are. I loved his work in Spiderman and Donnie Darko and every other flippin' movie he's done. He doesn't need Burton to be brilliant; he just helps Burton a lot with his own art.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm well seeing as how I finally saw the trailer on the big screen, I'll comment now. I cheered for it, along with three other girls. From what I gather from the trailer, this is going to be amazing. Obviously I'm a tad bit bias towards Tim Burton and his crew but still I have to say I'm excited. The stop motion looks very smooth and the characters themselves sounded and looked wonderful. Of course with Danny Elfman doing the score I'm already happy about the music. The art style, being Burton and TNBC-ish, also pleased me.

I think the plot sounds interesting too, it's a strange little romance story and I like that idea. Sure you can assume he'll pick the corpse bride but that's not for certain, fairy tales don't always have happy endings after all. Not that I'm saying marrying a zombie is a happy ending...er...never mind. I can't wait to see what happens, I've already been thinking about some of the little things I saw in the trailer. One of those girls yelled out "Zero" when the dog came on. I thought that was a bit interesting.

Although for some reason I was a little...hm, not upset but not happy that they used TNBC music for part of the trailer. Ah well, great memories right there but I would liked to have heard another CB score.

Well anyways I can't wait for it and hope to see it the first weekend, if not the first day, that it comes out.

Why would you be unhappy that they used TNBC music in the trailer? "What's This?" is used in several trailers and just works perfectly XD And hell, it's an Elfman song, so why can't they recycle it? Award-winning, might I add.

I too thought of Zero when I saw the dog. There's always a dead dog in these movies, it seems. How cliche :( But oh well. Maybe this pooch of death will be different. At least his nose isn't flashing and giving people seizures like a chinese robot cartoon.

But dude, I wish people around me were that eccentric. Whenever I got excited, people gave me looks. Fools...

Yes I love that song, you know I do. I just like hearing new music too. I love Danny's scores and it's always nice to hear his new work as well as his old work. Recycling is fine, I wouldn't mind hearing it in the movie itself as long as there's plenty of new music to listen to.

It is bit cliche that this movie would have a dead dog too...but it's fine. I just wonder why he's in the movie and his role. (Guess I'll have to wait on that one...)

People give you weird looks for a reason Gav :P

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I have to admit I find the premise to the film to be rather humorous, damn my gammy internet connection for not being fast enough to allow me to see that trailer, although not seeing the trailer doesn't spoil any scenes of the film such as Episode III's trailer did, pretending the whole "[I]Lord Vader... [Vader's line] ...Rise[/I]" bit came a near the end. Still the premise sounds good, and Depp is an actor I regard as being highly competent, it sounds like a very decent little film.[/SIZE]

I like the story line of Corpse Bride, it kind of reminds me of Nightmare before Christmas just that this time is not a holiday but a wedding. Can you imagine a guy running away from a girl who he is to be married to, to be followed later by a skeleton. Dude!!!!!

[quote name='IceRose']Can you imagine a guy running away from a girl who he is to be married to, to be followed later by a skeleton. Dude!!!!![/quote]

Yeah, I can. It's called [b]Corpse Bride[/b] XD Hehe!

But I don't really see much of a similarity to TNBC. They're both stop-motion animation and both involve things like the dead and that's about it. In reality, the storylines are completely different. I think you just see similarity because they're both Burton's stop-motion animation.

[SIZE=1]I've made you all aware of how skeptical I am concerning this movie. But I was watching VH1 a little bit ago, cause I'm a loser with no life, and found myself watching "Best Week Ever." There's a segment of the show where certain issues are subjected to either a Downgrade (bad) or an Upgrade (good). Corpse Bride got an upgrade, congrats DW! lol [/SIZE]

So does this mean you want to see it now? XD Hooboy... that's just like my dad. He won't see something unless others tell him it's good. Which is why it's a pain in the butt to get him to see [b]Charlie[/b]. He saw one bad review for it, hasn't looked at any others, and is stuck on not wanting to see it. He has no reason either! Nevertheless, I hope you will like it because you [i]do[/i] like it, Kamuro :) Not because someone else does.

[SIZE=1]No, I'm still not interested lol. But I must give credit where credit is due!

I actually prefer being one of the few who enjoys a certain movie. It's fun telling people how truly awesome it is when they've never even heard of it before. A lot of amazing movies never really get the credit they deserve. With so much movie clutter it's hard for a seemingly unpopular movie to achieve the prestige of the latest Lindsay Lohan film.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kamuro][SIZE=1']I've made you all aware of how skeptical I am concerning this movie. But I was watching VH1 a little bit ago, cause I'm a loser with no life, and found myself watching "Best Week Ever." There's a segment of the show where certain issues are subjected to either a Downgrade (bad) or an Upgrade (good). Corpse Bride got an upgrade, congrats DW! lol [/SIZE][/quote]
[SIZE=1]Whoo! I love that show. lol, I'm such a dork. Seriously, I've only seen one preview in a movie and the other one that DW posted and I have to say, it does appeal to me. I always loved [b]Nightmare Before Christmas[/b] and no matter what nothing will top that, since to me is Tim Burton's best work purely for the reason it was my favorite movie as a child. I don't know, maybe I was wierd but I was not scared at all of that movie. Infact, I matched it more times then I could count. The animation in this movie is very similar to NBC, and although it involves a corpse (which he seems to do a lot of animation with the dead don't you think?) I find it hilarious.

The purpose of him maybe falling in love with the corpse, yes I find it funny. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I guess I have a sick humour. I agree with James, when he stated that in NBC her arms kept falling off. I found that humorous when I was a kid. Still, she doesn't even look that grotesque for a corpse, so that helps viewing wise. I like Johnny Depp and actually, I don't think he's got quite so many movies as he use too. Some actors click well with directors, isn't that the same for other directors? They have people that they get a long with or find is the most flexible actor for roles. Honestly, I can't get sick of someone that I can't see in the movie either, but thats just me.

I definately can relate to people judging movies by movie reviews, especially in newspapers and TV. My dad won't watch a movie that he hears is bad. Whats ironic, is the one's that they say are great for me are usually really bad (example : Hustle & Flow, no hype there) and the ones that they claim are going to be duds, end up being really great movies. Infact, I find a lot of my favorite movies, have a bunch of bad reviews. It's kind of funny really. That is why I never trust movie reviews and rely solely on my own opinion. You never know unless you try it. But yeah, I'll definately keep my eye out for [i]Corpse Bride[/i] and maybe drag some of my friends a long the way.

As I said before, its not everyone's cup of tea. Everyone has their own taste of humour and movies.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']Yes, he is doing the CB score. And I don't think I ever said he was only made for Burton. I think I said he is perfect for Burton and without him Burton's movies wouldn't be what they are. I loved his work in Spiderman and Donnie Darko and every other flippin' movie he's done. He doesn't need Burton to be brilliant; he just helps Burton a lot with his own art.[/quote]

Michael Andrews did the score for Donnie Darko. Elfman had nothing to do with it.

But yeah, Elfman is a really good writer/composer to begin with. He's the head of Oingo Boingo, a weird 80s new-wave rock band that put out some good albums. He's done the themes for shows like The Simpsons and Tales From the Crypt... There's more to him than just Burton films and, to be honest, I think some of his best work is outside of them.

Eh, I was thinking of Henry Selick and [b]Monkeybone[/b]. XD Well, isn't that the mistake of the year, aye, Generic?

And I believe it comes out in the UK and America the same day, which is September 23rd. So count on that date. But if you don't start seeing commercials on TV near that time, worry :P

• 1 month later...
[color=#6699cc]Wow, I had to dig for this thread.

If I'm not mistaken, [i]Corpse Bride[/i] comes out tonight.

I actually got to see a free screening on Tuesday, which was pretty hot. (I got a free T-shirt and everything!) I enjoyed it. I think a lot of people went in hoping to see [i]Nightmare Before Christmas[/i], which [i]Corpse Bride[/i] definitely wasn't.

But yes, I really enjoyed the film. It has a dark, poetic quality to it, and the animation is downright fun to watch. I loved how [spoiler]"upstairs" is far deader than the land of the dead could ever be[/spoiler], which is how I always pictured the Victorian age--dull, dreary, dead. [/color]

I agree with you, Lore. [spoiler]It showed it as if once you're dead, life is good (so to speak). Like you have nothing to live for anymore (literally), so you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.[/spoiler] Yes, naturally I saw this the night it came out. It was amazing. It doesn't beat [b]The Nightmare Before Christmas[/b], but as Lore said, it's not like TNBC at all. It keeps some of the same style, but at the same time having it's own quality and unique ways about it. The detail was so precise!

Sadly to say one thing disappoints me and that's the fact that I've waited two years to see it and now I have, so I can no longer await it. Now that I've seen it, there's no more, so I cannot wait for anything else after! Damn...

I just got back from seeing this movie. Great stuff. Oh, it wasn't particularly deep or anything, but the visuals were impeccably good and the characters were likeable enough. I actually surprised myself with how much I liked the ending, which by rights should have come across as being rather [spoiler]trite[/spoiler]... yet somehow, it worked, and was even kind of moving.

The whole film had a sort of classiness to it that's totally or almost totally absent from a lot of movies that target the younger set; that is, it came off really well compared to the trailers for other animated movies (Chicken Little & etc.) which preceded it.

Honestly I thought the song-and-dance numbers were the weakest part. I mean, they [i]looked[/i] great, but the songs themselves were pretty average.

~Dagger~

This is why I still say [b]Nightmare[/b] was better, especially in the music aspect. I had to sleep on it before I fully took in the ending. [spoiler]Because it was ended with Emily not having anyone (though she was cool about it), it felt half-assed a bit and very sad. But because I thought it through, it seemed like that could be the only true way to end it correctly and in retrospect, was done just right.[/spoiler]

Just as the movie started and showed the town, I was hooked. It's the same animation as [b]Nightmare[/b], but still has a completely new style. I loved how black and white and gloomy the town was and the butterfly was really the only trace of color in it. Speaking of the butterfly, it was a nice foreshadow for the movie.

[SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]I saw this movie today, the day after it came out (here at least). Here's my sort-of review thingy-

[B]Positives:[/B] Absolutely magnificent songs and soundtrack. There wasn't as much singing as The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I guess could be a neutral thing.

Great set of characters. My personal favorite was (of course) Victor. I love a clumsy guy who can play piano. ^-^

Wonderful claymation. It's improved alot from Tim Burton's previous work, and that's saying something.

The storyline flows so well. I hadn't realized that an hour and a half had flown by until my sister and I left the movie theatre.

[B]Negatives:[/B] For my taste, everything was resolved a bit too quickly. [spoiler]The Lord-something-or-other hardly even put up a fight (except for the fight with Victor at the end) [/spoiler]

[spoiler] When Victor decided to kill himself to be able to marry Emily, it seemed baseless. Before then, it didn't feel like he had very deep feelings for her, then all of a sudden, he loves her enough to throw his life away for her. [/spoiler]

There really wasn't much to be said for the negatives. Very good movie. 4 out of 5 with me. *thumbs up*[/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=kenshinsbabe][SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]
[spoiler] When Victor decided to kill himself to be able to marry Emily, it seemed baseless. Before then, it didn't feel like he had very deep feelings for her, then all of a sudden, he loves her enough to throw his life away for her. [/spoiler][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Speaking for myself, I didn't think [spoiler]he offered to do that because he loved her. I got the impression that he made the decision both out of a sense of duty/obligation and because he had come to believe there was nothing left for him "upstairs."[/spoiler] Although I guess [spoiler]his feelings for Victoria weren't exactly ocean-deep, either, no matter how you look at it.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]Speaking for myself, I didn't think [spoiler]he offered to do that because he loved her. I got the impression that he made the decision both out of a sense of duty/obligation and because he had come to believe there was nothing left for him "upstairs."[/spoiler] Although I guess [spoiler]his feelings for Victoria weren't exactly ocean-deep, either, no matter how you look at it.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Agreed. [spoiler]It's all because he couldn't have Victoria and the world of the living was nothing compared to the realm of the dead. Or perhaps he was beginning to lose his mind through sorrow.[/spoiler]

[size=1]I just got back from seeing The Corpse Bride. The rumor that it was nothing like The Nightmare Before Christmas is true. Though, it was a great movie, it still can't beat old school claymation.

I also agree with Dagger. [spoiler]Once he found out that Victoria was to wed that creep, it just seemed like there wasn't anything for him. It was like "well, there goes the love of my life, maybe I'm better off dead?". I think he did feel something for Emily, but not enough to willingly and intentionally giving his life for her.[/spoiler]

I'm not sure how I felt about the ending, but the movie was beautiful. Certain scenes of the movie did remind me of Burton's other films, but then there were a few that brought in a breath of fresh air [spoiler](like the jazz/blues music for the skeletons)[/spoiler]. I think I fell in love with the small, old skeleton. [strike]I can't remember his name, though. I know it's "Elder ___". I know, I know, I just got done watching the movie...but it is after 1 AM.[/strike] Elder Gutknecht! That's it! He was just so old, so small...I wanted to cuddle him ^-^ (thanks for helping with that DW)

It wasn't all I expected, but it was good to see.[/size]

[size=1][color=slategray]*Tries not to read the spoilers*
Yeah, it hasn't come to my little Iowan town yet... ;_; But, I've been waiting for [I]months[/I] for the Corpse Bride. It's been my lucky summer, [B]Charlie and the Chocolate Factory[/B] [I]and[/I] the [b]Corpse Bride[/b] have come out. How lucky do you get, being the Tim Buton fan I am?

I've seen the trailers and a special preview on MTV for this. And I have to say, I just couldn't keep quiet about Tim Burton doing another clay-mation movie. And, as always, he's adding just the right amount of dark beauty and humor as he always does. I know that it's not going to be like the [B]Nightmare Before Christmas[/B], like many people I've talked to expect it to be like. But that is good, because even though I adored the NMBC, you can't make two movies that appear to be the same. Similarities in style are always fine, even expected most of the time, but if people thought it would be exactly like the NMBC, then they should know better... Tim Burton is not dull.
From what I've seen, the plot is brilliant. I've actually been waiting for a movie like this. Ha, and I think it's funny how the names are "Victor" and "Victoria". If that ever actually happened in an arranged marriage, there would be something wrong with you if you weren't scared. And yes, the Gothic structure style fits in perfectly.

Maybe I'll get a chance to see it soon. (I hope so.)[/color][/size]