OtakuBoards

Weird last names, do you have one?

Zeekan

[QUOTE=Zeekan]My full name is Andrew Zeekan, Zeekan is a funny last name eh? Especially when my first name is so common, aye.

Still, it makes for a unique forum name, and is quite cool. Mos of my friends at school hame names like Brown or Smith, McAllister or some other name that I've heard a bajillion times.

Anyone else on Otaku have a wierd last name? and if so, what do you think about it, is it cool to have a unique last name?[/QUOTE]

I have a weird last name Mondo. It is quite common in Italy though. My friends last name is Witt. Anyway I sometimes get Mundo or Moondo or something like that

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Grube.

Yeah, you heard me. My name is one letter away from a baby beetle. In fact, it used to be Grubb two or three generations ago, but my (Great-)Grandfather had to change it or else my (Great-)Grandmother wouldn't marry him, because she liked to garden so much.

Actually, I've never really gotten much crap for it. Well, except one thing. At one school, they never spelt my name right on my ID card. Never. "Grape" and "Group" are the ones that stick out in my mind at the moment. I mean, it wasn't really annoying, more...amusing. So, that's the story of my wierd name. At least I've gotten better than my mom, who's last name was "Horn". Her nickname (even among teachers) was "Horny-Toad." Needless to say, her father made sure that didn't last long.

Oh, and on the subject of name translations? My first name means "prudence." Gah.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#660000][SIZE=1]I've been told my last name is wierd, and noboy can pronounce it right. Mediavilla. It's spanish, but people presist to say Meediavilla, when it's pronounced Me*dia-viya. [In spanish the double ls make a y sound] That's not even the worst of the mis-proununciations. I've been called:

[B]1//[/B] Mediavara. [My friend almost enjoys saying my name wrong]
[B]2//[/B] Medvila.
[B]3//[/B] Meediaveela.
[B]4//[/B] And my all time favorite-Medieval.

I always get a kick out of the last one. Everybody who gets frustrated with saying my name leans towards calling me that.

*e as in bet[/SIZE][/color]

[QUOTE=Rachael]My name is Rachel Bood.

I hate it with a passion. people are always calling me boob, when it actually means Boat in dutch. Rachel means a quiet gentil lamb. So to sum it all up I'm a gentil lamb in a boat!

............I hate being dutch :p[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][SIZE=2]That really made me laugh, lol :animesmil

My last name is from Polish origins.. It's [spoiler]Ciesliga[/spoiler].. I don't know what you are pronouncing it now, but I'm telling you, it's wrong! :animeswea I'm just kidding.. the rate I think I get is about 1 in every 100 are right.

Anways.. it's pronounced (very easily.. jk) -- 'sis-liga'

Fair enough, right? Think 'sis' as in, sis-ter.. and 'liga' as in, liga-ment.. there you go!

Gonna take a sec to run by a few pronounciations I've heard:

siesleega
siesliga
suliga
sisleega
siesluga
and the winner: sisligligligliga (no joke.. the vice principal at my elementery school called out that one morning.. and after I wept from laughter for a minute or two, I looked at the teacher, and said, "I think he meant me."

Usually the ones who get it right, mess it up as soon as they are told that they were right..
Them: "Ciesliga?"
Me: "Yes! That's it!"
Them: "Cieslugala?"
Me: :animedepr

My favorite is when the Telemarketers call me up, and mess up the name.. Then it just becomes a matter of having fun, and saying stuff like,

"Close, but you don't win today! We'll try this again, say.. dinner time tommorow?"
or
"Nope, no one here by that name, sorry!"

It's fun to me.. so leave me alone! lol[/SIZE][/color]

My ex boyfriend's name was Brian Morehead. I'd make fun of him for hours at a time. My name is Jessica [Jessie] Langs so the only thing really weird is that people always ask me if I'm ever gonna do a sequel to King Kong. Incase you didnt know the actress that King Kong took in the original was named Jessica Lange. :animesigh

[size=1][color=slategray]I have a simple sounding last name... Jacobmeyer. But, it can get annoying sometimes in different situations. Like, sometimes, when people ask me my name I just say, "Claire Jacobmeyer." Then they look at me and say, "So, Claire Meyer..." (this happened at the library a lot.. a lot of smart librarians there, I tell ya.) Like they thought my middle name was Jacob... yeah... sure.

Another thing... two of my best boy friends are John and Jacob... so... whenever the three of us would be around each other a few years back, some smartass kid would sing, "John, Jacob, Jacobmeyer Shmidt!" Or whatever. Yeah...

But, there aren't many Jacobmeyers in the world... I think about 16 or something. So, we are a dying species. Help save the Jacobmeyers! >>[/color][/size]

[color=ORANGE]wel actualy i love my last name and hate my first name my last name is nakajima..yup i'm japanese!!and it's i gess common(in japan..)the problem my first name isn't japanese!!ok..my mom,dad,sister..me all hav names that start with T..so all our initials r T.N..and Nakajima has different meenings..it depends on how u rite it..
中島=nakajima..naka=in...jima=island..people who hav the last name nakashima hav the same meening if they rite it somwat like that..[/color]

[quote name='CowTipper']My last name is Shoga. It means ginger in japanese. I'm not japanese though, I'm muslim.... People always ask me if I'm japanese and it's really annoying. My first name is weird too. It's Janty. My math teacher pronounces it "Yantee", my japanese, spanish and tech teacher prnounce it "Jontee", but it's pronounced "JANTEE". Then when it comes to spelling it.... OMG... my own relatives can't even do that...[/quote] ur last name is shoga??wel it wod only be ginger if it'z pronounced..sho-u-ga..so don't feel 2 bad!! and n e way no japanese person wod hav shouga az a last name..my last name is nakajima and if i transl8 it from japanese piece by piece it wod be in-island naka=in island=island..it depends on how u spel it and wat kanji characters u use!!

[color=DarkGreen][size=1][b]TigerFantasy17, if you read our Rules (there's a link on the left sidebar) you'll see that double posting is not allowed. If you have something to add to your post, then just hit the "EDIT" button in the bottom right. In the meantime I've merged together your two consecutive posts.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to up your post quality a little. Small things like using paragraphs, spelling correctly and avoiding abbreviations like '2' for 'to' can make your post tons clearer and easier for others to understand.

Any problems, private message me.
[/b][/size][/color] [right][color=DarkGreen][size=1]- Raiyuu[/size][/color]
[/right]