OtakuBoards

Weird last names, do you have one?

Zeekan

My full name is Andrew Zeekan, Zeekan is a funny last name eh? Especially when my first name is so common, aye.

Still, it makes for a unique forum name, and is quite cool. Mos of my friends at school hame names like Brown or Smith, McAllister or some other name that I've heard a bajillion times.

Anyone else on Otaku have a wierd last name? and if so, what do you think about it, is it cool to have a unique last name?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=#003faa][SIZE=1]Are you kidding? I [i]hate[/i] my last name. It's impossible for ANYONE to say correctly, except for people who speak/read German. My grandma and my dad don't see a problem with it, but I do. Especially since it's eleven letters long, and easy to make fun of. T__T And.. Here it is.. [spoiler][/spoiler]. Make fun of it and die. >_>

I do, however, enjoy my unique first name. How often do you meet someone named Reveille. Honestly? My parents gave me a common middle name incase I didn't like that one. xD But even though I get similar problems with my first name as I do with my last name, I still like it. Nobody makes fun of it.. or at least, not to my knowledge. ;-;[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#F84E20][SIZE=1]You think you have it bad, Kitty? My last name got me beat up once when I was a kid >>

My surname is Payne, which is highly annoying, as you can imagine. As I've gone into high school people haven't made a big deal out of it...but when I was younger everyone found it hilarious *rolls eyes*

My first name annoys me sometimes, too. I mean, when you look at it, Jamie isn't that bad, but because I'm a girl most people assume I'm a boy when they read my name. Gets very annoying when it comes to having new teachers in school. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Heh, don't even get me started on Finnish last names! I know the whole language sounds almost impossible to understand to foreigners, because we pronounce letters differently and our words are long as hell. :P

My own surname, Hietanen, is quite ordinary here, but I want to take a classical example from one of our former ministers: her full name is Tytti Isohookana-Asunmaa. Try to say [I]that[/I] aloud... ;D

I have a boring last name: McCarty; this makes me Kevin McCarty. For some reason, people always confuse it with McCarthy or McCartney... even MacArthur.

I've heard much worse, though. I have a friend named Jason Hugendubler, that's huggin' doubler. One of my best friends has the last name Lavasque, two sylables, lav-ask. People always pronounce it wrong, it makes for some funny ones. Lav-ask-ee, lav-ask-ay in particular.

I guess that's it. I know some foreigners with interesting last names, but I'd feel rude listing them.

I don't have a weird last name but it does often get jokes anyway, it's Schmidt. So I often hear "You piece of schmidt" or "Schmidt out of luck eh?" and the like. It's not so bad, just a tad bit annoying at times. I do have a more uncommon first name that no one ever pronounces right. I have friends who still struggle with it. (sighs) But I like it, it's pretty.

For me though, I always felt bad for a teacher I had long ago who's name was Mr. Butte. We were, hm, first graders I believe so we were very immature and that poor guy's name...not weird, just unfortunate for his job with tiny annoying children.

[quote name='Sage Kaley']I don't have a weird last name but it does often get jokes anyway, it's Schmidt. So I often hear "You piece of schmidt" or "Schmidt out of luck eh?" and the like. It's not so bad, just a tad bit annoying at times. [/quote]

People do that with Jacobs too. That stupid "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" thing... you've probably dealt with that one.

[font=times new roman][size=2]Funny last names? Well I changed my last name to Lynn. Before it was Cothern. I was the only one known in every place I lived in, that had such an awkward last name, because it was the only one anyone had ever known..? I didn't like it... hence the change.[/size][/font]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I don't have an odd last name in any sense of the word, but my mother's maiden name before she married my father was rather odd. Her name was Munday, yes like the day but spelled slightly differently, although most people she tells me spelled it exactly the same as the day. I can just imagine how she and her brother feel about the Boomtown Rats song "[I]I don't like Monday[/I]". [/SIZE]

[QUOTE] People do that with Jacobs too. That stupid "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" thing... you've probably dealt with that one. [/QUOTE]

Ooooh yeah. That brings back a lovely memory of a friend who thought it was very funny to sing that song to me on a weekly basis. That song is now stuck in my head too.

My dad said "Schmidt out of luck" today ^^;;

[SIZE=1]I have the most common name known to god. Seriously, if you looked my name up in the phone book where I live, you'd find thousands of listenings. I mean my sister even had a best friend with the same full name as me. You already guessed my last name which is the most common last name there is, Smith. I hate it with a passion. And my boyfriend's last name is Brown. lol. We both have very common names. It's funny cause my mother has a very unique name. Her family's name is Vegvari (which I would rather have) and her first name is Agotha. My grandmother's name is Marika. Where did the creativeness go?

I hate my first name only because when I call my friends, they get me confused with their others because my name is so common around here. Katie is a really popular name from where I live, infact I use to have three katies in my class before. It gets confusing for people. I tried making up nicknames like Kat or Kitty but I could never get used to them. Guess I'm cursed to forever be, [i]Katie Smith[/i].
[/SIZE]

My full name is Russell Thomas. I don't think it's that weird, though, often, people find it hard to fathom that Russell is my first name and Thomas is my last name. On school registers because the names are set out like "Thomas, Russell" - even though the teachers know that - they call out "Tom Russell?" and my friends find it funny, because it has happened a lot.

But, weird? I don't think it's weird. Not very common I suppose either, I only had one friend with the surname Thomas, and that was ages ago.

My last name is so stupid..Wilson......you know Wilson sports? But my one friend, her last name is White, like to color White. My little sister's is Summers and my sort of step sisters last name is Enix but she hastwo first names. Which is really weird, Charity Faith Hope Enix. Strange. :animeswea :animeswea :animesigh

[color=#6699cc]I've had a history of teachers with hard-to-read names.
First grade: Mr. Schuessler. (Shess ler)
Second grade: Mrs. Cycenus (Sigh seen us)
Third grade: Mrs. Dziekan (Duh zee can)
Fifth grade: Mr. Koepke. (Kep kee)
Eighth grade: Mr. Zuelsdorff. (Zeelz dorf)
High school: Rognsvoog (Rons voag), Luchterhand (Luck ter hand), DeKeuster (Dee koos ter), Bruening (Brew ning), Thieme (tee me), Guethling (Get ling).

I might live in an area heavily populated by Germans. [/color]

Well you guys, i'm ruined for life... MY last name and my first anme are practically identical... Tiffany Tillery. And teachers think it's hilarious- in 7th grade I had my gym teacher call me "Artillery"... and the next year too. It kinda embarasses me but I've come to deal with it... or use a fake name, which I often do. Unfotunately I was named after my mom and not my dad or I would have been Tiffany Johnson. Not very special.But on the up side, one of the deans at school said it sounds like a movie star, so maybe I should look into that :animesmil

[QUOTE=Lore][color=#6699cc]I've had a history of teachers with hard-to-read names.
First grade: Mr. Schuessler. (Shess ler)
Second grade: Mrs. Cycenus (Sigh seen us)
Third grade: Mrs. Dziekan (Duh zee can)
Fifth grade: Mr. Koepke. (Kep kee)
Eighth grade: Mr. Zuelsdorff. (Zeelz dorf)
High school: Rognsvoog (Rons voag), Luchterhand (Luck ter hand), DeKeuster (Dee koos ter), Bruening (Brew ning), Thieme (tee me), Guethling (Get ling).

I might live in an area heavily populated by Germans. [/color][/QUOTE]

No, it's because your teachers are most likely foreign, as no one 'native' wants to be a teacher because it pays badly.
____

2_D: you can just edit your post, its much easier..

[quote name='Break']No, it's because your teachers are most likely foreign, as no one 'native' wants to be a teacher because it pays badly.[/quote][color=#6699CC]Actually, most of my teachers are in it because, as sappy as it sounds, they figure it's their calling. Yay for Christian schools. :)

[quote name='2_D']NO I MADE A TYPO!!!^... it never fails with me...[/quote]There's an 'edit' button at the bottom of your post. Feel free to use it. You can fix all your typos there. :)[/color]

[size=1]You might think, when you hear it said aloud, that my name isn't all that special... until you see how it's spelled. :) Rennolds. Yes, two n's, no y. I have a friend named Stephanie, and her last name is Brogan. WHich is wierd. And my other friend is named Kalea, pronounced Kaylee, or Kalie. ^_^; And then there's my friend Alia Wiesand, which no one can spell right, and I have had a teacher named Schussel. ^_^;[/size]

Guest kisa_the_tiger
my last name is EDNIE and i love u r name andy right or somthing go ahead make fun of my last name it's british

Guest songo999
[quote name='AlishaKitten']My last names Xiong. Is that weird? ^_^'[/quote]
i like urs ^^ its kool :animesmil

[quote name='songo999']i like urs ^^ its kool :animesmil[/quote]
[quote name='kisa_the_tiger']my last name is EDNIE and i love u r name andy right or somthing go ahead make fun of my last name it's british[/quote]
[color=#6699cc]Welcome to the boards, Kisa and Songo. Please read our [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]rules[/url] before you continue posting. Post quality is a big part of OtakuBoards, and I think you'll find that it's a much more enjoyable place when you conform to the standards we have set here.[/color]