OtakuBoards

Weird last names, do you have one?

Zeekan

My last name is Swedish for "Alder (as in the tree) branch." Since I'm Finnish, it's common to have a Swedish last name but it's just that NOONE can spell it (or pronounce it) right! It's [B]Ahlgren[/B]. (All-gren) I've heard Al-green, All-dren (my stupid history teacher) and the most common spelling mistake is that people forget the "h." Since my first name is a common one (and can be Swedish too), when I was in the passport checking-post in Sweden, the guy started speaking Swedish to me because of my name! I hurriedly said, "Intte svenska" which means "no swedish" and he aplogized. :animeswea

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me and my bf both have weird last names. well it's not really weird its just that we both get a bunch of stupid jokes abt them. my bf's last name is Ney, ya kno like the horse noise. he always gets the horse whinny and jokes abt horses n stuff. my last name is Paynter, like painter only spelled with a y. people always ask me if i paint, and why i dont when i say no.
sum people are just retarted ya kno

[COLOR=DarkRed]I think my last name is wierd... It's actualy my middle name, but shut up. Kilpatrick, lmao. It's not even what you'd think. It's Irish, and I've been told that Kil means "wood" and this is why its funny. I'm named after Patrick's Wood. Is anyone else named after some guy's manhood? Am I alone? [/COLOR]

Guest songo999
[quote name='Lore][color=#6699cc]Welcome to the boards, Kisa and Songo. Please read our [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]rules[/url'] before you continue posting. Post quality is a big part of OtakuBoards, and I think you'll find that it's a much more enjoyable place when you conform to the standards we have set here.[/color][/quote]
ok i'll be glad to ^^ but where are the rules page? :animestun

[SIZE=1]Well my last name isnt weird but everyone pronounces it wrong. My last name is Hiroshima. But everyone says very long and their syllables are all off. They usually say "HE-RO-SHE-MAY" WTH? May? My last name i pronounced "HEH-RO-SHEH-MAH" I feel bad for all the Asian kids who get their names beat up. lol. [/SIZE]

[color=darkviolet]Oh me next, please since I have two last names to talk about. Ok, more than two, but who are you to complain?

My maiden name is Donnelly. It's a good Irish surname meaning brown haired (I think, I have to look it up again) And it's not very common either. But apparently if you're one of the few Irish families in a majorly Italian Catholic Church it's easy to mess up and pronounce it Doneli

My married name is Crisler and pronounced the way it's spelled, but that's a very hard concept to grasp for some people. You see for some reason everyone wants to say Chrysler instead. And it doesn't help that my ex's name is Lincoln. Oh and before I forget Crisler is German, I think it's derived from Christ then a few other things, mine's cooler. But my daughter is going to be Abigail Crisler, my labor wasn't bad enough to warrant her being Abigail Donnelly-Crisler.

I have some good friend names too. My best friend's last name is Kapica which is of Polish origin. Lincoln began to call her Kapica-chu and it stuck. Her daughter's last name is Rush since the jerk was there to sign the birth certificate but hasn't been seen in a few months. You can just picture the jokes in a few years (Ahem- there is a band named Rush)

My other close friend is Christina Keogh. Now I'm sure that all us Irish folk out here know enough not to pronounce the gh, but some people don't. :animeswea

I had a teacher for both Chemistry (junior Year) and Biology (senior year) NAmed Mr. Mislovececk... I [i]think[/i] that was how it was spelled. Fortunately he let us call him Mr. M

My cousin Michael's last name is Bilous- I think it's Slovac, but it could just be polish since when my aunt was married to his dad she learned to make puttaheads (perrogi) I think he got into a fight once since someone pronounced it bile lous

My mom's maiden name is Henning (that goes for her sister's as well) I believe that's Dutch, but the family claims to be German Irish. Her mom's maiden name is Donohue.
Variations of that include but are not limited to: Donoghue, Donahue and Donaghue. Amazingly enough it's still mispronounced.

My aunt Kathy (who's new married name is Moore, but was Allen) worked with a lady who's name- I'm not making this up- was Kitty Peed. And I had a roommate named Joe McIntyre. You know like that New Kid on the Block guy. No wonder he was such a piece of annoyance.[/color]

Guest Balflear
My last name's pretty lackluster, but there're some strange ones out there. My dad's doctor's surname is Killpatrick, and he also worked with a woman whose surname is Slaughterman. And ofcourse there're folks with silly last names like Pratt or Goon. My personal favourite would be the surname Horney. The sad (and rather amusing) thing is that the bloke's first name was William and he went by Willy. Willy Horney. Hah. Then there are the just plain swank and uber awesome names like Delao (Day-lah-oh) or, God knows how to spell it, Sah-moo-dah-vah-nee-zhah, which is Thai in origin. So yeah, I could say I've come across quite a few bizarre last names in my time.

Let me start with my mom's maiden name, which is Harney. I think it's alright. I'm sure kids at school would of found a way to make fun of it though. I'm assuming it's irish, because my mom's island is the Emerald Isle of the caribbean(Montserrat). Also, on a documentary on the isle, it said that the slaves, had the name of their master's but later on they dropped the 'O' that would of been infront of it.

Now, our last name, which is my dad's is very weird and strange. I think it might be scandinavian or something. I was made fun of alot as a child for having this, it is 'Boddie.' Not 'Boody' but pronounced like the human Body.' I remember people used to call me 'Charlene's Boddie.' I barely even remember all the ways they made fun of it but they just did. In my Spanish class this year, somebody that I knew from elementary called me that and I must of given him a very bad look.

Guest whoopeee
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=DimGray]My last name is weird too...actually...very weird!! "Sunbakh"...what do u think of that?! Well I sometimes hate it but still it's uniqe..."sigh"..our fate..what can we do?! :animesigh [/COLOR] [/SIZE] [/FONT]

[QUOTE=celestialcharm]
Now, our last name, which is my dad's is very weird and strange. I think it might be scandinavian or something. I was made fun of alot as a child for having this, it is 'Boddie.' [/QUOTE]

I'm from Scandinavia and I can say that it quite likely isn't a Scandinavian name. See, none of the languages used here (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finnish) use the end -ie.

I'm no linguistic, but I think it might be more of a Scottish/Irish name, or possibly even plain British.

I'm not saying this to offend you in any way, I just think it's fun to guess where different names originate from. :)

I like some of your last names people my last name is soo boring Kozak what do you guys think? I know some last names get made fun of sometimes but i would just don't listen to the person that said that :animeangr those people can get so annoying. I have a friend with a weird/cool last name and people would sometimes make fun her last name

[quote name='Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed']I think my last name is wierd... It's actualy my middle name, but shut up. Kilpatrick, lmao. It's not even what you'd think. It's Irish, and I've been told that Kil means "wood" and this is why its funny. I'm named after Patrick's Wood. Is anyone else named after some guy's manhood? Am I alone? [/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I had to laugh reading that, seeing as how before I gave you the name's translation you thought it referred to someone who had killed someone named Patrick. Now thinking it refers to a gentleman's privates however is far funnier, though as an Irish person I'm wondering if I should stop chuckling and take offence as the Partick your name comes from is our Patron Saint. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=celestialcharm]Let me start with my mom's maiden name, which is Harney. I think it's alright. I'm sure kids at school would of found a way to make fun of it though. I'm assuming it's irish, because my mom's island is the Emerald Isle of the caribbean(Montserrat). Also, on a documentary on the isle, it said that the slaves, had the name of their master's but later on they dropped the 'O' that would of been infront of it.

Now, our last name, which is my dad's is very weird and strange. I think it might be scandinavian or something. I was made fun of alot as a child for having this, it is 'Boddie.' Not 'Boody' but pronounced like the human Body.' I remember people used to call me 'Charlene's Boddie.' I barely even remember all the ways they made fun of it but they just did. In my Spanish class this year, somebody that I knew from elementary called me that and I must of given him a very bad look.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Well Harney and O'Harney are definitely Irish names, though O'Harney is much less common than Harney as a surname. The name itself comes from County Kerry and means "descended from the father". Many Irish surnames and Christian names have become anglicised as Irish was phased out as the primary language many decades ago.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sage]I'm from Scandinavia and I can say that it quite likely isn't a Scandinavian name. See, none of the languages used here (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finnish) use the end -ie.

I'm no linguistic, but I think it might be more of a Scottish/Irish name, or possibly even plain British.

I'm not saying this to offend you in any way, I just think it's fun to guess where different names originate from. :)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Definitely not Irish or Scots-Gaelic, I'm one-hundred percent sure of that, though I'd also be fairly sure it's not from any other part of Scotland. Boddie, I haven't heard of the name before now, and with the pronunciation it sounds like something that could have come from somewhere outside of Europe. I suggest doing an Internet search to try and find out it's meaning and origins.[/SIZE]

No, I don't think that I have a weird last name. It's not really common like Sanchez, or something, but it's not exactly an exotic last name, either. It's not really hard to spell or pronounce at all, but someone inevitably messes up either one for some reason lol. When I tried out for the basketball team in high school the coach would always pronounce my last name in this really bizarre way. I felt like George Constanza half the time. At least the coach never showed an affinity for wedgies, or anything. :nono:

I have a name that causes some confusion. Gail Brightbill. People either think I am German or they think I am Native American (because of my dark hair and almond colored skin). No where in my name does it denote that I am Japanese. My husband's last name of Brightbill was originally Brechbiel but one of his ancestors changed it after moving to the United States to make it more "American".

My hubby get's more confusion about his name than I do. The Brightbill/Brechbiel name is pretty common in the Pennsylvania area but not over here in the Pacific Northwest. Because of that he get's called Bill Bright alot. He hates getting called Bill. :animeangr

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1]I had to laugh reading that, seeing as how before I gave you the name's translation you thought it referred to someone who had killed someone named Patrick. Now thinking it refers to a gentleman's privates however is far funnier, though as an Irish person I'm wondering if I should stop chuckling and take offence as the Partick your name comes from is our Patron Saint. [/SIZE'] [/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Well, erm... Sorry if I offended you in any way, shape or form. I know that in my country if you insulted St.Richard (The Rocket Richard, that is) you'd be torn from crotch to crown and your guts would be used to hang your assorted body parts around the neighborhood. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed]
I know that in my country if you insulted St.Richard (The Rocket Richard, that is) you'd be torn from crotch to crown and your guts would be used to hang your assorted body parts around the neighborhood. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]Oh cool I have to add that to my list of things to do!

Let's see, my former brother-in-law's name is Shawn Kelly. His mom is probably to dumb to remember to pronounce the Gaelic spelling of his first name (Sean)correctly. I also knew a boy from school who had the misfortune of being Matthew Scott Jordan- you don't get more redneck than having three first names even if one [i]is[/i] your last name.

I [i]do[/i] know a Sean McGrain and there's not much I can add to that.

My endocrinologist's name is Dr. Bingham. My OBGYN's is Dr. Williams. And there is a person on this place named William Ryan. My daughter's pediatrician is Preti Patel- she's Indian (as in from the country of India) Nothing else.[/color]

My last name(s) isn't(aren't) exactly strange, but NO ONE ever gets them right:

Reitnauer = married name (I always get RIT-NOWER when it should be RIGHT-NOWER)
D'Amato = maiden name (I always got DAM-ATO, when it should be DI-AMATO)

Freilich is my boyfriends last name (He gets FREY-LICK when it should be FREY-LITCH)

Bunch of unpronounceables we are.

Let's see, my mom's family has Allessandrini, my dad's side has Passio.

The only thing I dislike truly about my name is that it doesn't fit on a signature line, and it's always gets cut off on my license. My first name is Jacqueline, and with the addition of the married name, it's just too long.

The doctor that delivered me was named Dr. Weiner. STRANGE!

[QUOTE=Sage]I'm from Scandinavia and I can say that it quite likely isn't a Scandinavian name. See, none of the languages used here (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finnish) use the end -ie.

I'm not saying this to offend you in any way, I just think it's fun to guess where different names originate from. :)[/QUOTE]

I didn't take any offense! I also remebered that at my yearly check up, the nurse who was English said that her sister's boyfriend or something had the same last name! So maybe it's English? One day I will find out :D

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Well Harney and O'Harney are definitely Irish names, though O'Harney is much less common than Harney as a surname. The name itself comes from County Kerry and means "descended from the father". Many Irish surnames and Christian names have become anglicised as Irish was phased out as the primary language many decades ago.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

That's very intreasting! I would of never known what it meant. Thanks now I can look smart in front of my mom's aunts. Maybe I can get money out of it :smirk:

My name is Rachel Bood.

I hate it with a passion. people are always calling me boob, when it actually means Boat in dutch. Rachel means a quiet gentil lamb. So to sum it all up I'm a gentil lamb in a boat!

............I hate being dutch :p

[QUOTE=Rachael]My name is Rachel Bood.

I hate it with a passion. people are always calling me boob, when it actually means Boat in dutch. Rachel means a quiet gentil lamb. So to sum it all up I'm a gentil lamb in a boat!

............I hate being dutch :p[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet] If it makes [i]you [/i] feel better my full name is Megan [spoiler]Elizabeth[/spoiler] Donnelly Crisler so my name translates to:

Great/ Strong (MEgan is the Celtic form of Margret as well and that means Pearl) Consecrated to God (Elizabeth) Brownhaired Christ. Figure that out. I think I hate being Irish and married to a German.[/color]