OtakuBoards

Things that go BUMP in the Night

Sara

[color=indigo]When I was younger, and not so very long ago, I had a dreadful paranoia that set in after dark each night. The smallest things would creep me out, and send me running for covers.

My bedroom was on the second floor of my old house. To get back to it at night after going downstairs to use the bathroom or get a drink, I'd have to climb a very old (read: creaky) twisted staircase, and pass three other rooms.

One of the rooms was my brother's. That one was easy. The last room was a storage closet with a door that was always closed....easy, again. But the door right at the top of the stairs was always open to a darker-than-dark place we called the Sewing Room. (Mom kept her sewing and craft stuff there.)

Even during the day with the lights on, this room was dim. At night, though, it was practically a black hole. Not only that, but it was a long, narrow, [i]deep[/i] room?it ran the full length of the top floor, parallel to the hall that my room was in (and actually, it ran next to my room, as well.) Pitch black and deep... [i]anything[/i] could be hiding in there.

I don't think I ever walked to bed after 10 at night. And I [i]never[/i] looked into the room itself.

I would get to the top of the stairs, take a deep breath, and close my eyes. If I could, I would walk past the darkened door... But sometimes, I'd break into a run before I passed it, and I'd almost [i]always[/i] sprint the last few steps to my room (and jump into bed, careful not to touch the floor just in front of it, or look underneath it) and pull a blanket over my head.

I never really got over it.

Who else has had the nighttime spooks?[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]When I was little I was given a CD player for Christmas, but no CDs [by little, think 5....lol]. So my grandfather lent me a CD to play in it, and I'd give it back to him when he bought me some CDs for my next birthday.

Of course, I was a dumb kid. I played this thing for an hour once we got home then went outside and just did something else. Later on though, when I was supposed to go to bed, I couldn't bring myself to go into my own bedroom cause I could hear something. My young mind automatically assumed it was elves out to get me. I couldn't sleep in my room that night.

The next morning I found the CD player with the earbuds face up, completely drained of batteries. I'd left it on, and it was playing throughout the whole night on loop... I just thought it was something else. lol It freaked me out a lot back then, and even though I knew there wasn't any evil elves in my bedroom, I refused to listen to the CD player at night, and grew paranoid about extended my legs the full length of my bed.

Elves and witches hide down the ends of your bed, don't you know.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Heh, I always had this thing when I was younger that I thought it was bad luck to not be in your bed when the lights go out. Of course, the problem arises that I was the one who turned the lights off, and my bed was on the other side of the room. So, when I went to bed, I would always close my eyes, hold my breath, turn off the light, run blindly to my bed and curl up under the covers. Only then did I feel free to open my eyes and breathe again.

Sometimes I was something that went BUMP in the night, though. In a house we used to live in, there were storage areas in which you could enter and walk behind the walls. So I would enter one in my room, and walk over to my sister's room and start randomly knocking on walls and moaning and stuff ...

[COLOR=DarkRed]Ah hell... where the begin...

Well, probably the most common creep I get is when I've been reading for a few hours, usually around 3 AM or somthing, and I have my headphones on. When I read I usually hold my book up it usually blocks the door from my sight. Barely. So now I'm blind, deaf, and oblivous. Than (Probably due to sleep deprevation) I get this thingling in my spine, and than this fear grips me that, if I ever move the book, there will be some unspeakable creature (My most vivid ones are incredibly creepy aliens :/) will be standing in the doorway. So I don't move the book. I once stayed up all night because of that...

Another one only started happening once I beat Resident Evil on Super Hard mode during a thunderstorm in the middle of the night (Go figure) My bed is up agints the wall, running parrallel from the doorway. The lightswitch is just to right of the doorway, right above the foot of my bed. So instead of getting up to get the light, I just move to the end of the bed and smack it off. But there is a second switch beside it which controles the flow of electricity to the outlets in my room, and that turns off my fan. So now it's dark, I'm back in bed, the fan is off, it's hot, and this creeping feeling comes over me. "No you fool! People in horror movies ALWAYS die when they go back for somthing!" the voice in my head dictates, but I still get up every night to turn it back on. I get the feeling every time that when I turn the light back on, I'm going to be surrounded by moaning, shambling zombies or somthing of that nature. ******. Up. Stuff.[/COLOR]

Guest yukigurl:p
i always hear a tapping coming from inside my closet and i dont know what it is and my room is always pitchblack i didnt stay to find out i still hear the tapping but i still never looked inside i just tell myself that its some cute little fur ball that wants to play or something like that

[COLOR=blue]We had a creeky apartment before we bought our own house. If people from downstairs (yes, downstairs) walked around, our floor would creek like as if some invisible person was walking on our creeky floor. It was the worst when you tried to sleep.

One time, I woke up in the middle of the night to find myself all alone. I didn't know my parents and siblings were having a late night party (or just a feast for whatever reason), and I wondered what happened to them. Then I heard the creeky footsteps. It was dark, and so I thought at first that one of my parents came back, then I realized there was no one there. I bolted so fast for the door and ran through the house.

This reminds me of the times my parents felt like security blankets: you hug them and everything was magically ok. Those used to be such nice times. ^^[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]When I was really, [i]really[/i] little, I used to have the most vivid nightmares, dreams so vivid that I would still be seeing things after I woke up.

The worst was when I had just turned four, I was dreaming about this...[I]thing[/I] that was about the same size as me - Mom now says I came into their room screaming about a tree with eyes - but this little thing was [i]mean[/i] it was [i]nasty[/i] and in my dream it was just....a shadowy, slightly spiky looking featureless [i]thing[/i], just [i]staring[/i] at me with glowing green eyes. It didn't chase me, it didn't do anything normal dream monsters did, it just [i]stared[/i], never blinking.

Well, I woke up....and screamed, because the [i]thing[/i] from my dream was standing at the head of my bed, right next to me, [i]staring[/i]. I was out of my bed and in my parents room, screaming at the top of my lungs, in about half a second flat.

There have been a few other incidents, but nothing stands out in my mind half so much as [I]that.[/I][/COLOR]

Oh the creatures that use to live under my bed...I just know they had a taste for young Japanese girls. They were just waiting for me to dilly-dally and leave my legs hanging over the edge of the bed. Darn them!!

Like many of you I had a fear of the things under my bed. When my parents use to tuck me in bed I had no problem since they would be in the room until they turned off the lights . Which of course means that I would be safely in my bed. After all we all know those monsters won't dare attack us while our parents are there to protect us. They need us alone and in the dark to make their move! When I started to turn off my lights then have to make the scary dash to bed I luckly had some help. I had this stuffed dog that I knew would protect me from the monsters under the bed. I would place him watching under the bed and he would keep the monsters from sneaking out.

After he was on guard I could sleep peacefully all night since I knew there would be no way those monsters could sneak out.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=SeaGreen]"[I]Man fears what he can not see[/I]" Which is true in my case. Don't get me wrong, I love the night and the dark, but the moment I turn off the lights my imagination sets in and I instantly believe that there is something there; watching me. I lay in bed in the pitch blackness and I hallucinate. I can see one of those aliens from Signs standing over me, reaching out for me. Anything relating to aliens creeps the hell out of me. Even the cute little critter E.T gives me nightmares. I'm used to hearing creeks or footsteps in my house, because my brother always comes home late and I'm up most the night myself, so I don't get creeped out easily by sounds.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Oooh.... Dont even get me started.

In Japan when I was about 5 or 6 my grandmother would always tell me that if I didnt go o bed little fairies would come and work together,pick me up, and take me with them far away. Little ol' me thought the stories were true. So that night hade my eyes partially open... and since I had lanterns all over the ceiling the lookied like little bright lights. I thought they were the fairies comng to take me away. I screamed and yelled the whole enchilada. My grandmother came ine and simply said.

"I told you so." Little old women trying to scare me all the time...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Back when we first moved into our current house about eleven years ago I used to absolutely hate having to go around the house late at night, my eyesight has always been bad and when it's dark your eyes try to make sense of things in the darkness, the result was and always has been seeing things than aren't there. Usually it's just opaque and obscure shapes from clothing laying around somewhere, but it used to absolutely scare the shite out of me as a child, and as such I used to have to sleep with a light on until three or four years ago.

Referring to "aliens", after seeing Star Trek: First Contact I used to have terrible nightmares about The Borg, any little sound I heard would send me terrified into my parents' room. I used to get fairly bad nightmares by themselves as well, one particular nightmare I can recall is still creepy even to this day more than five years later. We live on a farm so there's always odd noises outside and the galvanised roofs on the shed used to flap and make really eerie sounds at night when it was particularly windy, I say used to because they were ripped off last year in a nasty storm.

Hacka's quote really says it all for me.[/SIZE]

[size=1]I always loved the times that the unknown would send me into adrenaline induced panics. I just love to be scared. I always have, and I always will I suppose.

After I saw the movie Congo, the one with the grey, murderous gorillas, I constantly thought that there was one of those things in the closet at the top of the stairs in my house. There was about a five month period where I wouldn't go to sleep until there was someone that was willing to walk me up to my room. That was the only time that I was actually scared beyond enjoyment.

All the other bumps and thumps that come with older houses enthrallled me. I couldn't wait to see a ghost or shake hands with a gremlin.[/size]

When I was little, I was actually pretty brave. I've gotten more and more paranoid over the years though. Ever since I was about 5, I've slept with a fan on to block any noises that I might hear.

However I have, still, a terrible fear of the Chuckie doll. Dad had me watch it with him when I was about 4 and to this day I am scared of it. I make sure that the blankets are wrapped around my feet when I sleep so Chuckie can't come and stab my toes off or something. I also sleep away from the wall, bed pushed against it mind you, so that if Chuckie tries to attack me, I'll see him coming or something I don't know.

When I was little though, my biggest fear was Jaws. I wouldn't take a bath without covering the drain with playdoh first, that way Jaws couldn't come through it. Mom hated that.

My logic has never made sense heh. I still get paranoid in my hallway though. At night I feel like someone's touching my arms in it and I'm actually not the only one on that. A few others feel creeped out in my hallway. I swear I've seen a ghost in my house and a few times our heavy front door has opened and shut repeatedly for no reason. Unless that'd the paranoia. Meh.

Strangely, I got quite spooked just last night, I could swear i could hear a voice. I wasn't sure what it was saying because it was so low, low yet it sounded like it was yelling.

I was going to list a load of wierd stuff thats happened to me, but none of you know me well enough to believe me so I wont.
Basically every house ive lived in since i was three has been "haunted" And looking into the history of the houses, someone had died in my bedroom. (The guy who owned the one im in now looked a lot like me) Ive had people leave my house crying, refuse to go in certain rooms and whatnot, just because they are slightly/very uneased. More strange happenings than I care to list.
Im moving out in less than a month. Despite my room being three times the size of hers my sister doesnt want it because she said she heard someone walking about.

So night time spooks, yes, Ive had it, a lot. But i dont get as spooked as your average person, in fact, im the hardest person to spook i know.

[size=1]When I'd go to the loo at night, I'd run as fast as I could to get into bed before it stopped flushing, I thought that a whirlpool of water was coming after me to suck me in should I fail to reach my bed before the flushing stopped.

Logic failed me when I was 6, i never thought about why the whirlpool water-thingy would stop chasing me just because I managed to get in, and wrap myself up in, blankets. [/size]

When I was three, I had this horrible nightmare about an gigantic red-eyed gorilla that was in my house (I can still remember all the details, 13 years later XD). After that, I was always scared it, or one of its evil friends (possibly), was hiding in my room. So I'd have to check my closet and under my bed every night, and make sure the closet door was closed ALL THE WAY before going to bed. I also couldn't leave my door or many others closed without someone else in the room with me. I had to be sure I had at least one escape route.

I still have to close my closet all the way. XD

This brings back memories. =D

[COLOR=Blue]Oh yeah. When I was five, I was scared of the thing under my bed. It would wait for me to fall asleep, and devoure me while I slept. I used to have nightmares about falling out of bed, and getting attacked by the horrible beast. It had glowing red eyes, long sharp teeth and claws, and was covered in red fur. I got over my fear when I turned eight, when I realized that there was nothing there.
But what is really scary is the Boogeyman. You'd be lying there, minding your own buisness, when you hear this sound from your closet. Sounds like a thumping sound, like a beat. Then, a disco globe falls from your ceiling, and the closet door opens. A tall purple guy with sunglasses, dressed all in white, with gold chains and bell bottoms comes out dancing to "Disco Inferno" !
AHHHHH!!
THAT'S scary.
But remember kids, if you got monster problems, remember to keep a loaded shotgun nearby.

"hush little baby, don't say a word. And don't mind those things you heard.
Those are the beasts under your bed. In your closet, in your head."
-Metalica "enter sandman"

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=slategray]I [I]hate[/I] my house. Absobloodylutely [I]hate[/I] it. It's almost one hundred ten years old or something. And it just freaks me out. Well, it does at night. Which is unfortunate, since I have this weirdo insomnia thingy case right now. Probably because of the damn house. I guess it's not so bad in my room, though.

Anyway, my family has had some messed up things happen in the past, so, we all hate the bloody place. As for me, once I was sleeping downstairs on the couch because it was cool downstair(twas the summer), and I woke up a few minutes before four a.m. for some reason, and I was lying there, trying to fall back asleep. Well, the stairs to the second level of my house are in a hallway right in front of the living room, so you could see them clearly from where I was. Then I heard something in the kitchen, and naturally thought it was my cat, since he was a big fella. But then I heard footsteps and thought immediately about robbers. The footsteps went from the kicthen into the hall directly in front of me, but there was no one there. I definitely would have seen them since there was light from the street lamps. Well, the footsteps went up the stairs and stopped. I was terrified and turned on a light and played video games until someone got up. I was scared out of my wits. I won't sleep down there anymore. >>
That experience sort of kept me freaked out for awhile.
Another thing that bothers me is we have this HUGE window in our kitchen, and our cat managed to tear down the blinds for it, so, if you are out on the street or something, you can easily see us if the kicthen light is on at night, but we can't see out. And if I am in the sunroom at night, I have to go through the kicthen to go to bed. And I hate it. I always am paranoid about one of the MHI patients getting out or some weirdo looking in on us. Argh. And since we don't have very good locks on our doors, I am so dang paranoid about having someone break in and murder us in our sleep or something. >> I also hate under my bed and my closet for those same reason. Good hiding places for those kinda people.

I think paranioa runs in my family, because my sister and I are about the most paranoid people I know. Bah. But that stuff mainly bugs me at night. For all those obvious reasons. I mean, I love night, I just hate all weirdos that come out and all the things that seem to happen at night. Eh. I wonder if I'll ever get over that stuff. I practically have to run everywhere at night in my house when no one else is up. Or I get the feeling I'm being watched, them I'm to freaked out to check. Lol.[/color][/size]

[quote name='PiroMunkie]Heh, I always had this thing when I was younger that I thought it was bad luck to not be in your bed when the lights go out. Of course, the problem arises that I was the one who turned the lights off, and my bed was on the other side of the room. So, when I went to bed, I would always close my eyes, hold my breath, turn off the light, run blindly to my bed and curl up under the covers. Only then did I feel free to open my eyes and breathe again.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=Zeekan][size=1']When I'd go to the loo at night, I'd run as fast as I could to get into bed before it stopped flushing, I thought that a whirlpool of water was coming after me to suck me in should I fail to reach my bed before the flushing stopped. [/size][/quote][color=#6699cc]I did both of those things! Running to my bed with the light off didn't work very well when I was on the top bunk, though. I used to throw stuffed animals at the light switch, hoping that one of them would hit it and turn the light off without my having to get out of bed. (Their sacrifice was never final, happily. They were always okay in the morning.)

And my room was around several corners and up a flight of stairs from the bathroom... but I always [i]ran[/i] as soon as I flushed the toilet, and [i]had[/i] to be out off the kitchen (and hopefully up the stairs) before it finished.

I don't remember thinking that the whirlpool would get me, but the sound of the tank refilling after being flushed used to freak me out, and I wanted to be as far away as possible when it began.[/color]