OtakuBoards

The Legionnaires Artwork

Sandy

Hi everybody, and welcome to the official thread to post and review the art inspired by the latest OtakuBoards event, [B]the Legionnaires[/B], invented by our very own Event Master Shy.

On Shy's permission I'm creating this thread for all members to post their own pieces of artwork for the characters or illustrations from the event.

I know the actual event hasn't really begun yet, but I personally have already two pieces I'd like to show you.

* [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24178]The first is a full-body shot of my character Melinoë wielding her whip, the Phlegethon, made in simple black-and-white technique[/URL]

* [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24189]The second is a face portrait of the same character, in full color. Sketched with a pencil, inked with a black pen and colored with color pencils. Simple but effective.[/URL]

As I mentioned, this thread is also meant for reviewing the artwork sent here, and you can even slide in requests for pictures and illustrations, if you post something else as well.

I hope this thread will increase the hype around the event, and perhaps make it even more popular. ;)

[SIZE=1]Here we go...

[b]Prototype Banners[/b]
[url]http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/444/legionnaire4rectest8oh.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6683/legionnaire2rectest7sc.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/4016/legionnaire5st4nh.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/9205/legionnaire4st0ej.jpg[/url]

EDIT: Thanks Circeus.[/SIZE]

Another piece of art for Melinoë is ready! See the attachment.

I actually prefer this much over the previous two, since I put some obvious symbolism into this one, adding the Yin-Yang sphere and the fiery whip dividing the two sides.

The quality isn't the best possible, since I don't own any decent picture editing programs, but I hope you still like it.

Again, I did it with simple pencil/pen/coloring pencils -technique. It's really the only technique I know, since I'm a poor student who hasn't got the money to take expensive art classes... :'( On the other hand, I'm not too interested in them anyway. ;P I just like to draw.

[COLOR=GREEN]Ooh! So far all the art posted here looks really good. Sage, I really like the drawings you've done of your character. It was so good, I was almost too scared to post my art, but I'm going to give it a shot.

The attached image is the true form of my character, Aura. I drew and inked it by hand and colored it on an old version of Photoshop. (I really need to update that program.) But anyway, here it is.[/COLOR]

The game is [I]finally[/I] on, and to celebrate that I did this rather quick drawing picturing my current team, the Gold Team, facing their first mission.

I tried to follow the description in everybody's sign-up quite accurately, but I just had to add some artistic impression in the figures, so I apologize if somebody in my team resents the way their character is pictured.

Anyhow, I tried to get a sort of "Kill Bill"-style image (most of you will probably recognize what I'm after), but because of my lack of a decent picture editor program, I made it rather simplistic, with the characters in one color that I think suits them the best, and the texts made with Paint. ;P

Hope it isn't completely worthless, though. See the attachment to view it!

[color=#6699cc]I am actually working on some "team portraits." Or was... it seems almost a waste, if the teams are constantly going to change. Hm. I do quite like the style of the last picture you posted, Sage.

Is the Yin-Yang a big symbol for Melinoë, or did you just add it for stylistic reasons? (I understand how it would be symbolic, but I was wondering if it was something you meant to emphasize, or something that just seems coincidentally appropriate.)[/color]

[QUOTE=Lore][color=#6699cc]
Is the Yin-Yang a big symbol for Melinoë, or did you just add it for stylistic reasons? (I understand how it would be symbolic, but I was wondering if it was something you meant to emphasize, or something that just seems coincidentally appropriate.)[/color][/QUOTE]

Purely symbolic, it represents her two sides. She's not taoist or anything, as she [I]is[/I] the daughter of an ancient demon. ;)

Same thing with the Gemini as her star sign, and being born on 6/6/19x6 - convenient if a bit obvious symbols of her character. ;P

[color=#6699cc]This is my version of Aura. (I'm also drawing a Melinoë...)

I hope you guys don't mind. :)

I was trying to make her look... comicbooky. I don't know if it really worked, heh. She looks like a cross between Poison Ivy and Catwoman.
[/color]

Just for the sake of getting you to do a piece about Melinoë, I'm going to review your char art of Aura.

I really love the pose, it seems very dynamic and superheroic. There are few nitpicky parts, though. First is the navel: as you probably see it yourself, the navel seems to extend all the way across her stomach. Other part is that her other leg is somewhat thicker than the other - it might be the posture that's doing tricks to my eyes, but on the other hand, my char art has similar "flaws" constantly.

It's all about the proportions, and despite the few flaws, I think you're better at them than me. ;)

[I]Now[/I] can I have my Melinoë done by you? ;D

[QUOTE=Sage]I tried to follow the description in everybody's sign-up quite accurately, but I just had to add some artistic impression in the figures, so I apologize if somebody in my team resents the way their character is pictured.

Anyhow, I tried to get a sort of "Kill Bill"-style image (most of you will probably recognize what I'm after), but because of my lack of a decent picture editor program, I made it rather simplistic, with the characters in one color that I think suits them the best, and the texts made with Paint. ;P
[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting interpretation. I don't actually picture Pygmalion as having long hair, but I can easily mantally remove that. The colors thing intrigues me. Mind explaining your resoning behind each of them?

Err, Pygmalion doesn't have long hair in that picture... I can see now that you mentioned it that one could think so, but that's actually his beard connecting to his backhair. ;)

Hmm, the colors? I just went with what I felt natural.

[COLOR=DarkRed]For my character, Melinoë, I chose dark red because she has that color in her clothes, and it is also a demonic color.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna]For Unhate the color was obviously brown because of his rock-skin and down-to-earth -personality.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]For Joseph, the dirty green came from the army outfit he wore at Break's sign-up.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]For Augur, I thought royal blue would match with his psychic abilities and calmness (or was he a calm personality, can't remember anymore...).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]And last but not least, Pygmalion's color is orange because it is the color of knowledge.[/COLOR] ;)

Together, they even out each other: red and green are counter-colors, so are blue and orange, and brown is a mix of them all. ;D

Gotta admit, I have a [I]thing[/I] with colors...

[QUOTE=Lore][color=#6699cc]This is my version of Aura. (I'm also drawing a Melinoë...)

I hope you guys don't mind. :)

I was trying to make her look... comicbooky. I don't know if it really worked, heh. She looks like a cross between Poison Ivy and Catwoman.
[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=GREEN]Very cool inturpetation, Lore, thogh I've never really pictured her with wavy hair. I like it. I'm also very honored you chose to draw a pick of my character :D Well hopefully hurricane Katrina don't distroy my house and a lot of my original art work I was forced to leave behind :animedepr Anyways, again, Lore, very cool.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1][URL=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/UnbornLordXion/Legionnaires/Z.jpg]Z, Master of Espionage[/URL]

Yes, I know, it's not a picture of Z. I have no talent in drawing such things, so I use what little talent I have in ways I have them. The lyrics are appropriate for the master theif/spy/assassin, don't you think? Actually, I can invision him hacking into a building's security system and replacing the camera feed with static overlayed by those song lyircs.

I'm pondering doing others in this symbolic/abstract sort of style, images for each of the legionnaires. Could be interesting...

Eh, just felt like contributing something. Ja ne.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 6 months later...
Even though it's been ages since there's been a new contribution to this thread, I'd like to present a quick drawing about the new composition of the [color=gold]Gold Team[/color].

[url=http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/legionnaires-goldteam2.jpg]Click here![/url]

It features Tetros (Baron Samedi), Melinoë (me) and Liquid (Takuya) diving into the Mediterranean Sea in search of the legendary Atlantis. I know it's not colored nor shaded, but I made it in like a half an hour, so hope you like it anyway! ;D

[color=green][font=Comic Sans MS]Well, I'm following your lead, Sandy, and posting some more pics of my character, Aura. These, as you can see, are much, MUCH better than my last attempt.

[URL=http://i2.tinypic.com/r9028z.jpg]This[/URL] is Aura in her natural form. While, [URL=http://i2.tinypic.com/r90413.jpg]here[/URL], Aura is pictured in one of her most recent human disguises; basicly this is how she appears when she is not on Legionnaires missions. I'm planning on making a banner/avatar set with these pics.[/font][/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

How did I miss this thread for so long, though I reality I suppose my lack of a reliable broadband connection until recently is the most obvious answer. Fair play to Sandy for all his excellent work and the same to everyone else, and in answer to his question from a few posts back, yes blue was the appropraite colour for Augur for all those reasons and more given that blue is my own favourite colour.[/SIZE]