OtakuBoards

Personal items of sentimental value.

Stuart

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=royalblue]"Do you, or have you had a personal possesion that is of somewhat importance to you?"

As I was siting here looking around for an inspiration that could help me think of an interesting thread topic, I layed eyes a beany baby that I have who sits on my computer monitor. His name is Dinky. Dinky, The duck, was given to me as a birthday present five years back from one of my best friends, Eric. Eric and I have been friends since kindergarden, so I guess that's where it gets it's significance from. For five long years Dinky has stooped on top of my computer, sometimes switching to the top of my TV (Can never decide where he wants to be. Typical Duck). Thus spawned the idea of creating a thread revolved around the question "Do you, or have you had a personal possesion that is of somewhat importance to you?".

Another item that is of value to me is one of my dad's old toys that he grew up with, and he's passed it down to me. It's one of those toys where you push down on a button on the bottom and the figure standing up falls limpt, but when you release pressure from the button the figure shoots back up. It's a bit difficult to explain, I guess. It's wooden and very delicate so it just stands on the bookshelf, collecting dust. I haven't seen my father in three years, so when I think about him all I have to do is pull out that toy. Also, some golden tie clips that he left behind; I treasure. I'm sure I have more that just aren't coming to me right now, so I'll stop in and post if I can remember.

I have no doubt that yours will be more interesting and of more significant and a deeper value, so I'm interested in hearing some.

[B]EDIT:[/B] Thread title changed to more accurately state the topic, and to satisfy Retri >>[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Georgia]My personal item that I value the most is my cat. She brings back memories of when she didn't like the daycare and would scratch them. Good times, good times. I kind of collect everything. I'm a packrat. It's really annoying, expecially when I'm cleaning my room. OH!!! And all 6 of my Harry Potter books. I love them with all my heart, along with my baby blanket.. which is 16 yrs. old. There's about half of that left, but I love it either way. [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[size=1]I definately have things of value. One is a small stuffed tigger thats baby soft that I got from this guy I was dating. I know that doesn't sound important, and yeah we're not dating now. But for some reason, I always keep it with me. You could say I'm also a packrat, for I can never get rid of things that people have given me.

Another thing, as silly as it sounds is, my Xbox. And I don't even play xbox that much. I find it special because I got it from my brother-in-law for christmas, a month before he died in a motorcycle accident at age 34. The fact that he bought something expensive for me, shows how caring he was and what a good father he would have been for his son. Now all I have is that to remind myself of him. Sad, but it's all I have left. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I think that you meant [b]sentimental[/b] value. As it stands, none of these items are worth more than a few bucks. It's the fact that we don't want to sell them because they're special to only us.

As for me, I highly cherish my Brown Teddy Bear. We've been parteners in crime since... I can remember. His head's fallen off, he's had paint on him, but I've always been able to restore him to his former glory. He looks like he's only a few years old.

To match, I prize a small (I'm talking a foot off the ground) fluffy chair with a teddy bear head on it. My granddad got it for me when I was little, and my grandparents still have it for me. I think I'm never going to get rid of it. So many memories.[/SIZE]

Yes, I have several myself. The first and most important is my Bambi Blanket. My aunt sewed it herself when I was born and I've had it all my life. She lives in Cali so I have only seen her a few times, which is sad. The stitching has mostly faded away now so you can only see the outlines of Thumper and Bambi and such but I still treasure it and sleep with it.

Second item up is my Sarah doll, with is a stuffed humaniod rabbit doll that is pink and fuzzy and wearing purple overalls. I also gave her an earring when I was little and she doesn't look complete without it. Anyway, my Grandma bought her for me when I was about three and I've always had her. I still hug her when I'm especially sad.

Oh and lest I forget, I have two photos that mean a lot to me. One is of my dad and me when I was 5 and still happy with him (we won't get into that) and the second is of my dog Duchess of Chewbacca cuddling with me when I was very ill. She's gone now...

Ok, enough sad stuff ^^;; Those are the things that mean the most to me.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]First and foremost in my mind is Radar the Bear. My mom claims I named him after Big Bird's teddy bear...but I'm fairly certain I named him after Radar from M*A*S*H, which I remember my baby-sitter watching.

Radar was a present for me when my younger sister was born, sortof a consoulation prize for the little girl who didn't understand why the [i]new[/i] person was getting all the presents. XD

Radar just turned 17 a few weeks ago. His head has fallen off mmore times than I care to count, each limb has fallen off more than once, he's been stolen by a dog, and left up in a tree all night. He was once furry and fluffy, now his fur is all matted down and dark brown, as opposed to the pretty golden brown he used to be, and he's half of his original size.

He's so fragile now that I hardly play with his; he lives on my headboard with a few other stuffed animals. But every now and then, I find myself snuggling him when I'm unhappy. It makes me feel like the little girl I was ten years ago, when Mommy and Daddy could solve every little probelm I ever had. :)[/COLOR]

[quote name='Ozymandius Jones][color=darkorange']First and foremost in my mind is Radar the Bear. My mom claims I named him after Big Bird's teddy bear [/color][/quote]My boyfriend's treasured thing is a "Radar the bear" as well =) But he did name him after Big Bird's teddy bear. It's very fragile by now since he's over 20 years old.

My treasured items are many, but these are what I can think of right now:

My wedding ring - I'm divorced, but I still keep it in my handbag in the little zipper compartment. I'd hate to get rid of it. It just reminds me of better times, and the simpler life that I had when we started out, that will never be as simple again. It's difficult to be divorced with a kid, and also have another SO in your life that your ex may or may not ever get along with! Plus, I do NOT hate my ex. I still have a lot of love for him, but we are too different to ever work out.

A fairy ring I had that recently broke - also reminds me of the same things as my wedding ring, but in addition reminds me of the great time we had on one day trip to a special place we would go. I also think I bought it the day I got pregnant.

I used to have a thing I called "puppy pillow", but I had to leave it behind in TX when I left, and I never got it back. It used to look like a puppy head, but it was a pillow (sounds strange, but you'd get it if you saw it), and by the time I left it, it was just ears. Had that since I was born.

My SON! He's not an item, but I had to mention him.

Lots of my stuffed animals have significant meaning. I have this little pink beany piggie which I purchased at the Farm Sanctuary, and I would hate to see anything happen to it as well.

This is strange, but I have this email I've been saving from an ex saying goodbye when he was moving. It's really the only thing I have from him. That's a long story. So I've been saving it for about 5 years now.

I'm sure I have more, but those come to mind :)

[SIZE=1]Isn't it strange how pretty much everyone has a treasured stuffed toy they've had since childhood.

I myself have a bear named Rainbow, since he is multicoloured like one. Most of his fur has fallen out so now he wears small sweaters that my mam knitted for him to keep him warm ^_^.

I have a pocket watch that I was given as an 18th Birthday present from a dear friend of mine. It isn't something I can really wear without looking odd but I still treasure it because of its uniqueness.

I also have a poetry book that is rather old, just over 100 years old actually. It isn't by any poet who is particularly well known but I do love it because it is musty and stained somewhat and just exudes the toll of life and time. I love it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]A razorblade /emo.

>>;;

Hm, I don't really think I have a personal item of sentimental value, apart from my friends (pause for awww), yeah, 'cause they're my property. I lock them up in cages and stuff, they love me though!

Nah, a necklace that my girlfriend gave to me quite a while ago, I wear it all the time, the only time it's off is when I have a shower/bath, or in water of any sorts. Really because I feel naked without it on, I took it off for a shower once and forget to put it back on, I was distressed all day.

^_^;
[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Most people do have a stuffed toy they care about most... I'm one of those people ^_^

She's a Minnie Mouse doll that my mother gave to me once we got home from the hospital (I don't remember due to the fact that I was only a few days old, but I've been told.) Now she's falling apart and stained, but she's still one of my most prized possesions.

My guitar. I'm not very good at playing it (I can play whatever music you put in front of me, but I can't write good songs. I did this cool remix of Twinkle Twinkle Little star, though... No, seriously!), but I love it nonetheless. My little brother picked it out for me, and he started to play the Clarinet so that we could be in the Homeschool Band together. Then he got bored and quit. But it's still sweet.

My computer. I know you all just think I'm obsessed now, but my computer is my outlet of creativity (Writing, art, creating WarCraft maps...) and it's also my only means of communication with cousins, half-siblings, friends, my Dad, etc. You get the point.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

I think for me, there are a number of things- mostly musical things. My guitar, bass and keyboard are all very important to me, in that order :p. And as of a few days ago, I have a small Djembe (a kind of African drum) and this bizarre shaker thing which has the beads netted round the outside rather than inside it- both of which I got as a gift for looking after someone's house the other week.

So yeah.. music is very important to me. And if my computer were to die, erasing all of the musical stuff I'd been playing about with, I think I'd probably have a heart attack.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

The item most valued in terms of sentiment to me is definitely the ring left to me by my deceased granduncle Anton, the ring has huge significance to me because Anton wore it the whole time when he was alive and it was something he took great pride in. Put simply Anton was like a grandfather to me, because my actual grandfathers are dead, he and I shared my interests and had very similar personalities and we got on well most of the time. When he died for him to leave me his ring in his will was something huge to me, given that he wouldn't even take the ring off his finger when he was alive. It's probably worth a fair bit, but I wouldn't part with it for all the money in the world.

In terms of childhood toys, I have a huge blue stuffed bear who I never gave a name to. He's about four foot tall and has many bursts in him which for the love of me I can't keep closed, any time he's stitched another tear opens or the stitching doesn't hold. I keep him in a closet along with a giant stuffed dog named Bruce, who belongs to my brother, but he's always taken out every once in a while and given a good look over to make sure he's intact. Another childhood toy would be a Boba Fett figurine I bought in London over six years ago, it's about five/six inches tall with a swivel base that says [I]Boba Fett[/I]. I keep him near my Star Wars books for the simple sake of keeping like with like. [/SIZE]

[color=darkviolet]Whoa boy to I have a list a very long exstensive list:

[b]My pink and white baby blanket and the clothes I came home in.[/b]- I'm adopted and those are the only two things I have left from my birthmom.

[b]my yellow baby blanket with the holes in it[/b]- it's like a security blanket I even slept with it when Lincoln was in Iraq.... I wonder where it went to.

[b]Pictures, letters, cards and gifts from friends[/b]- I'm even keeping the things from Lincoln, I still have cards from when I left my elementary school that's more than ten years ago!

[b]My daughter's first dresses including her two Christmas dresses and the ones she had her picture taken in and the one Lincoln bought her- the first and only one he ever picked out.

I'm not sure what else to add. Oh yeah!

[b]My stuffed cow CLover[/b]- She's even got udders, but the scumball has her in Texas and I won't ahve her back until next month. I've had her since I was a baby :animecry: [/color]

An item of great sentimental value to me is my knife. It was passed down to me by my grandfather (who got it from his grandfather). it is mostly ornimental, but still retains some of it's old sharpness.
Another item of sentimental value is my family's coat of arms.

I have mentioned this several times but I never get tired to talking about my special guy. No, not my husband. Charlie my stuffed horse. When I was in the hospital after a farming accident my parents bought me a little stuffed horse. I named him Charlie. I thought it was odd how the grown ups would giggle when I told them I had a Charlie Horse. (ha ha, get it, like the leg cramp.) Hey, I was 3 years old, I didn't know how punny it was.

Anyway. Charlie has been with me since August 28, 1979...which makes him older than many of you reading this! He was with me when I was alone in the hospital room to the night of my rehearsal dinner for my wedding. Good times and bad he has always been there supporting me. Needless to say he is looking like he's getting on in years but that is to be expected for a horse of his age. I really should throw him a birthday party this year. After all, the day when he came into my life is fast approaching!

I wonder if it was all the "veterinary care" (sewing up split seems, putting stuffing back in, etc.) I gave him over the years that lead me to a career in vet med? I guess I have him to thank for that too. Let me tell ya, I can suture up a wound like you wouldn't believe!

The thing i hold dear to me is my stuffed rottweiller. He reminds me of my late rott warlock. He was given to a friend when i couldn't keep him anymore. But then that person died and warlock died of a broken heart.

The stuffed dog looks just like him; and i nearly cried when i saw him at Target.

[SIZE=1]I'll try not to be to mushy lol.

I'm probably most sentimental about a certain stuffed animal, stereotypical I know. But this May my mom passed away, and being the smart woman she was, went to build-a-bear and made a bear for me. There's an option of putting a voice box inside, and she did. So everytime you squeeze the hand I can hear her voice, saying how much she loves me, how things'll be ok, etc. I know it sounds cheesy, but it means a lot to me.[/SIZE]

Guest karu the kitten
[QUOTE=Kamuro][SIZE=1]I'll try not to be to mushy lol.

I'm probably most sentimental about a certain stuffed animal, stereotypical I know. But this May my mom passed away, and being the smart woman she was, went to build-a-bear and made a bear for me. There's an option of putting a voice box inside, and she did. So everytime you squeeze the hand I can hear her voice, saying how much she loves me, how things'll be ok, etc. I know it sounds cheesy, but it means a lot to me.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
:animedepr i hold onto the pillow that my cat died on.........its my death pillow it represents death and its very very important to me. :animedepr :animedepr

I have this little charm on my keyring, it's a golden heart that's pretty faded and worn out. I found it in the middle of a dirt field one day. The reason it's so special to me, is because it was the same day I fell in love for the first time. And as all firsts, she is really special to me, so whenever I take a look at it - I think of her.