OtakuBoards

How important is it to you?

Darkness

Not to long ago, I came out of a three- year long relationship. Yeah, we were in love and everything, but we were complete opposites. I like anime, videogames, fantasy, and etc; things that she never even attempted to get into. But, I've never met any girl who was into the same things that I am into(so far as what I just listed). We lasted pretty long to be so different. [COLOR=skyblue]What I want to know is, how important do you think it is to have alot of the same interests?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=firebrick][SIZE=1]I honestly suppose it comes down to how two people can communicate on a more emotional level. You could be all about anime, and she could be all about clothing, but if when you talk to her the two of you relate on a totally different level, there is something there that just makes you 'click'

I don't really have experience with girlfriend relationships, but I have MANY friends who are total opposites to me, and we get along great when we just have a chat. Hope any of this helps, if not, throw a book at me and I usually shut up. :D[/SIZE][/COLOR]

*Throws book[b]'s[/b] at Noryko*

I just had to do that....

But i agree with Noryko, It all comes down to communication. If you can't communicate with some one or relate with somone why would you go out with them anways?

It all depends on the people involved- obviously.:rolleyes: Anyway, you know the thing that's often referred to as the "chemistry" in a relationship? It's kind of like that emotional stuff that the others were talking about. You could have the world in common, but if you don't have chemistry, you don't have that extra spark. Now, it [i]is[/i] good to have some common ground to walk on every now and then, but it's also good to be with different people to become more well-rounded yourself. Some opposites will attract eachother and some won't. Some people who are almost exactly alike will attract eachother and some won't. It just depends on chemistry and how willing the two are to go out on a limb to have a new experience.

I don't have experience with dating.
My parent don't have a lot in common, but they lived with each other for almost 30 years, and they fight a lot too. My brother broke up with couple of his girlfriends because they don't have the same interest. As long as you can find a way to communicate with each other, I don't think sharing same interest matter much.

[color=crimson]Interests are not as important as chemistry in a relationship, but yes, you must have some of the same interests. If you dont have anything in common, then you would sit and fight all of the time trying to make the other person see your point of view, and that wouldnt work. The chemistry is what makes you look over the insignificant differences that you have. :love: ;) [/color]

[color=deeppink]If it were to come down to interests (which, it doesn't I don't think...but that's beside my point) then you guys would have a hard time finding a chick who would sit and play video games with you for hours or watch anime...

For us, on the other hand, it's quite easy...almost every guy I know loves to play console games...as do I :p[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by coolkam007 [/i]
[B]if you want people with the same type of interests go out to places with people that like that kind of stuff (like.. if you want a gf that likes anime.. goto an anime convention :p) [/B][/QUOTE]

i don't mean to sound rude, but that's not the point. I know, as well anyone should, where to find people with similar interests. I just want to know your opinion on how important it is to have the same interests in general. How would you feel if your mate was almost completely different from you, would it matter at all?

Hmm, my g/f and I are completely alike. Same interests and all but we do have some differences. But in my opinion, I don't really think about having the same interests. Just have the same feelings for each other. If it really matters as much, I think you should talk about it. Hey, it's working for me. Use reason. But don't overdo it in the reasoning. That's my tip right there.

Another one of these topics, eh?

Well, to be nice (since I'm in such a good mood cuz I just got off the phone with my girlfriend) I'll avoid going into Neo Love Nazi mode.

As far as common interests go, I don't see it as very important. It's certainly not the MOST important part, that's for sure. It does help, though, as the two of you can do things that both of you will enjoy.

Common interests, Stacy and I have many. But it's really our personalities that are so much alike. Even our mothers agree on that. We're perfect for each other. I'm in love with Stacy, and she loves me, that's all that matters. She's not [B]in love[/B] with me, that she's not sure of. But I don't care, I'm not going to pressure her into making a decision.

So anyways, having all the same interests doesn't matter very much to me. It's a part of the relationship, but it's not the biggest deal.