OtakuBoards

The Brothers Grimm

Dragon Warrior

Not many have seen this movie yet and not many have wanted to because they anticipate its failure, but it was really good. For those of you who hated Van Helsing, this one is okay to watch. For those of you who liked Van Helsing, this one is okay to watch... but it's still different. Basically it takes all the fairy tales that the Grimm brothers actually wrote and weaves one large fairy tale in the movie. It's really cool how they interpret all their tales like Snow White and Hansel & Gretel and everything else.

I'm not going to say much here because I'd just be repeating myself. I've already said my share on the movie in my review [b][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48145]here[/URL][/b]. So what say you on the movie, ya'll?

[COLOR=#006aaf][SIZE=1]Actually, I just got back from the mall after having watched The Brothers Grimm at the theater. I liked the film, even though there were parts that I thought were hard to understand, and the way Heath Ledger talked bugged me a bit, and the whole massive army of bugs grossed me out, too. Other than that, though, I really enjoyed the movie. =P

[spoiler]But the thought of Ledger kissing Damon was something I could have done without. I swear I'm going to have nightmares. >_<[/spoiler][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Loved the movie. I saw it on opening night with my best friends, only because I'm a Terry Gilliam fan girl.

Ended up [i]loving[/i] it and realizing that Heath Ledger doesn't suck, like I originally thought. He actually played my favorite character.

I'm seeing it again next Saturday for my birthday, but hopefully people will realize by then that the critics are wrong and that the movie doesn't suck the royal suck like they say it does and the movie will still be out in theaters XD

Definitely. Everyone is being way to critical on this movie. They're saying it's too confusing and complicated because of all the fairy tales and the one large storyline. If you want a confusing movie, watch the Matrix Trilogy. If you want a really cool fairy tale film of grimmy proportions, watch The Brothers Grimm.

And dude, Heath Ledger was awesome in A Knight's Tale. Please say you haven't seen that because then you have and still say he sucks, you must suck the royal suck, milady XD

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']And dude, Heath Ledger was awesome in A Knight's Tale. Please say you haven't seen that because then you have and still say he sucks, you must suck the royal suck, milady XD[/quote]

[COLOR=indigo][SIZE=1]No, I haven't. I saw him in Ned Kelly and was pretty let down. My best friend loves A Knights Tale, however, and has been trying to persuade me to watch it. I'm guessing I should?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][QUOTE]Originally post by [b]Muse[/b]
Loved the movie. I saw it on opening night with my best friends, only because I'm a Terry Gilliam fan girl.

Ended up loving it and realizing that Heath Ledger doesn't suck, like I originally thought. He actually played my favorite character.[/QUOTE]

I am glad to find another fan girl. [i]Brazil[/i] is my favorite. I agree that Ledger was the best part of the film. I liked it, but it didn't quite meet my standards for what I think Gilliam film should be. I don't know where the reports of confusing came from. I can't be that much smarter than the general audience. I really had no trouble following the movie.

[spoiler]I have to say though, the Italian guy really annoyed me, and in my thoughts Matt Damon should have stayed dead.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][SIZE=1]

I'm sad to say I haven't seen a lot of Terry's work, but I'm a fan girl of his Monty Python days. I've been longing to see [i]Brazil[/i] and [i]Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas[/i] but sadly... I have no money.

[spoiler] Yes, I hated him too. I'm not ashamed to admit that I clapped when he got shot and moaned when he popped back up again. Also... did anyone else laugh like a sadistic maniac when he killed the kitten? I did. Funniest part, besides Jacob being drunk XD [/spoiler] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have never seen any other Terry Gilliam films, so I had no expectations in that area. I was just excited about it being a movie about the Brothers Grimm :) And yes, you should definitely see A Knight's Tale. It's interesting and fun how they interpret some modern things into a medieval setting, like rock songs.

[spoiler]And he wasn;t Italian, he was French. He was, after all, in the French army. His name was Cavaldi and I didn't mind him once he changed sides. That kicking of the kitten part was unexpected and funny XD[/spoiler]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Ah, good to find a group of like-minded people who know how to appreciate a Gilliam film. The man is a genius. [i]Fear and Loathing[/i] is totally awesome, and not because it had Johnny Depp in it (although he [i]did[/i] portray Hunter Thompson smack on, from what I've heard). [i]Brazil[/i] is one I'm willing to give another chance, seeing as how I saw it when I was pretty small and it was a really surreal and depressing movie. Didn't Gilliam do [i]Twelve Monkeys,[/i] too?

Anyways, back to [i]The Brothers Grimm.[/i] I loved it. While it may not be as surreal or underground as his other works, it's still got that Gilliam flair. Whoever's idea it was to get Terry Gilliam to do a movie on the Grimm brothers and give him a big budget to spend as he pleased should be given a medal.

[spoiler]I'm afraid you're wrong there, Dragon Warrior. Cavaldi is an Italian name, and notice how he used the phrase "Ten little-a bambinas" in reference to the missing girls. I think he was supposed to be an Italian mercenary or something.

I was pissed off that Damon came back, too. I mean, it wouldn't have been that bad if he [i]just[/i] came back, but no, [i]of course[/i] he has to get the girl, regardless of the fact that it was [i]Ledger's[/i] character that revived her while Damon was happily [i]dead.[/i] Ah well.[/spoiler][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=indigo][SIZE=1]

Yes, he did make 12 Monkeys ^_^

[spoiler] And, Cavaldi was indeed Italian [i]and[/i] Jacob did actually get the girl. Not only does he say "And I got the girl!" at the end but if you look close enough you can see Angelika pulls him away to dance with him ;)[/spoiler][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[spoiler]I was aware Cavaldi was an Italian name and wasn't 'til a little bit after I posted that did I see my error. He is Italian since Italians often worked for the French army. Their accents are similar too. How embarrassing of me :) And yeah, Jake got the girl, but who knows if she'll be back in the sequel.[/spoiler]

I just watched Twelve Monkeys for my first time in my life because it was on TV the night I returned from The Brothers Grimm. What are the chances that they were both Gilliam films. I never knew!

I really enjoyed this movie. A friend and I went to go see it on opening night and we both adored it! It was just a good romp, and I really don't understand all the criticism it's been getting.

The only thing that [I]slightly[/I] bothered me was the cg usage. It wasn't *bad* (actually, I thought the bugs looked pretty good [and disgusting]), but that scene with the scarf (or whatever it was) kind of annoyed me in the visual sense. From my understanding though, this is the first flick Gilliam used cg in, right?

Jake was most definitely my favorite character here, though the other actors were entertaining as well. Cavaldi's just great ^^ [spoiler] I was so glad when he got up after getting shot. I knew he probably would, but that didn't stop me from being worried XD[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Lindus]I really enjoyed this movie. A friend and I went to go see it on opening night and we both adored it! It was just a good romp, and I really don't understand all the criticism it's been getting.

The only thing that [I]slightly[/I] bothered me was the cg usage. It wasn't *bad* (actually, I thought the bugs looked pretty good [and disgusting]), but that scene with the scarf (or whatever it was) kind of annoyed me in the visual sense. From my understanding though, this is the first flick Gilliam used cg in, right?

Jake was most definitely my favorite character here, though the other actors were entertaining as well. Cavaldi's just great ^^ [spoiler] I was so glad when he got up after getting shot. I knew he probably would, but that didn't stop me from being worried XD[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I'm not the only one who likes Cavaldi :^D [spoiler]I was worried too when he got shot. I knew he would get shot by that General, since he was an ***, but I wasn't sure how he'd survive it. I forgot all about the armor. It made me happy and I hope he's in the next one.[/spoiler]

My dad called Cavaldi the Jar Jar Binks of Brothers Grimm =/

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I haven't see the film yet, in fact I haven't even seen a trailer for it yet so this is something of a preview for me. As a young child I always found the tales of the Grimm brothers to be very entertaining, as well as intelligently written, in essence they were stories for anyone. When it comes out methinks I'll have to go giver it a gander. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Muse][COLOR=indigo][SIZE=1]No, I haven't. I saw him in Ned Kelly and was pretty let down. My best friend loves A Knights Tale, however, and has been trying to persuade me to watch it. I'm guessing I should?[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]That would be a definite yes, while I'm not a huge fan of that film it is quite funny and very enjoyable for the occasional viewing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Ah, I will be seeing this tomarrow, if everything goes as planned. I really don't know much about the movie, but it looks interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a Terry Gilliam film, so I have nothing to compare too. :/

I shall edit this post with my thoughts on the film once I've seen it.

Edit: I don't really know what to say. That was the strangest movie, I was confused throughout most of it. It wasn't really as good as I had antisipated either. [spoiler]That horse was the creepiest thing, lol.[/spoiler] It was like a fairy tale, in a corruped kind of way.[/SIZE]