OtakuBoards

Does anyone know of any good books?

Fall

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]

[color=deeppink]*sigh* Yes, I do. Problem?

Hehe, actually, the reason I posted that was because people are dumb when it comes to Harry Potter. Stupid fools have probably never even read the books. I assume that if you don't like it, you probably haven't either...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Weren't those Harrypotter is the tool of the devil ppls chucking a spaz about Pokemon and Digimon a couple of months ago?

Oh yeah, a really good book to read is 'Artemis Fowl' by Eoin Colfer i think. If you can't find that, Fabled lands is always good.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B][FONT=century gothic]Gee, those sure are cheerful books.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]yeah I know... but the important thing is that they are good books. even if they do make me extremely depressed...[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B]

[SIZE=1]yeah I know... but the important thing is that they are good books. even if they do make me extremely depressed...[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]::looks doubtful:: Yeeeeees...they are good books....but strange ones to pick as favorites....[/FONT]

anything by JRR Tolkien
anything by tom clancy
anything by john grisham
anything by michal critain(sp?)

man, i have read all of there books. i sure don't get out alot. :box:

[SIZE=1]Well I suppose animal farm was an odd choice. But 1984 completely started me on my obsession with reading... without it I would probably be spending all of my time watching TV. or on an internet message... oh my! *starts reading again*[/SIZE]

Non-Fiction:tons and tons of books...as far as war goes I prefere Stratgy and Tactician books...but hey thats me...if non fiction I suggest a famous general's Biography...like Paton

Fiction:*thinks*

Lord of the Rings((Jrr Tolken)),

Dragon Lance,

the Foundation Trilogy((Isaac Assamov)),

ChildHood's End((good book, not really bout war,Arthur C. Clarke))

ummms if I thinks of more post later...

[B][FONT=century gothic]::looks doubtful:: Yeeeeees...they are good books....but strange ones to pick as favorites....[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

Another good book to read is Lotd Of The Flies.
It was interesting psychological book...
If we're looking for the depressing section...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by D. Dark [/i]
[B]

Another good book to read is Lotd Of The Flies.
It was interesting psychological book...
If we're looking for the depressing section... [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Which we're not! Gosh....you people....good books, but I mean...honestly.....[/FONT] :p

[B][FONT=century gothic]Which we're not! Gosh....you people....good books, but I mean...honestly.....[/FONT] :p [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]What is with you girl? If I didn't know any better I would think the only types of books you like to read are Dr. Seuss or something. People like to read depressing books! geesh![/SIZE]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Well, my favorite novel , that told the best message was " My name is Davy, I'm an alcoholic". I swear, this book had the biggest impact on my life about drinking. I suggest all you "young bloods" to read this book!! You'll get a whole new perspective about drinking! - [b]Don't drink .... nor should you drink and drive![/b]

- MG[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B]

[SIZE=1]What is with you girl? If I didn't know any better I would think the only types of books you like to read are Dr. Seuss or something. People like to read depressing books! geesh![/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]LoL. I LOVE Dr. Suess. But he writes depressing stuff, too. Ever read the [i]Butter Battle Book[/i]?

And sure, I read depressing books, too. I've read the ones you guys are mentioning, or I would never let myself complain about them.

For anyone interested in a really thought-provoking series of books, try the [i]Ishmael[/i] Saga-- by Daniel Quinn, if i remember correctly.[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by liamc2 [/i]
[B]I know I shouldn't ask. . . but what is lord of the flies? All i know is that it was turned into a movie, and age of empires has a tower named after it :laugh:

Seriously though, what is it? [/B][/QUOTE]

What about my question?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by liamc2 [/i]
[B]

What about my question? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry...
Been busy...
Anyway, it's a book about how these boys get stranded on a desert island, and how they work together, and it has a large twist...
Basically, it's just a book about the human psyche...
It's a cool book...
Read it...

[COLOR=chocolate]Let's see here...
--the [i]Redwall[/i] series is good
--[i]Watership Down[/i], yes!
--the Prydain (o dear, sp?) series by Lloyd Alexander ([i]Book of Three, Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King[/i])
--[i]A Winkle in Time[/i] series
Sometimes I like to break with "traditional" books and venture into my comics collection--like [i]Calvin and Hobbes[/i] or [i]FoxTrot[/i]. Crichton's good ('specially [i]Jurassic Park[/i] and [i]Sphere[/i]). I remember reading [i]Christine[/i] by King. Man, never thought a book could scare me until I read stuff by King.
[i]Lord of the Flies[/i] is....[i]interesting[/i]...to say the least. The building and collapsing of a "primitive" society, but everyone should read that at least once. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shibo_Ogama [/i]
[B]I have only one name to say to you people.

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=courier new][COLOR=darkred]STEPHEN KING!!![/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Need I say more?? [/B][/QUOTE]

hmm, yes. that book, [I]Carrie [/I] is practically about me. & [I] The Stand [/I] is one of the best books i've ever read.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SSJ3 Trunks [/i]
[B]Yeah theres a sign outside a church were I live that makes a comment about Harry Potter. Ppl need to get thier heads outta thier butts. [/B][/QUOTE]

You, my friend, have a wierd way of saying things..........

And all these are good books........., but has anyone read something called Dinotopia, they're a series I think...........?

[COLOR=chocolate]Oh yes, most definitely the first one--I must say, the art is simply beautiful! My fab pic is the one where the TRex herd blocks the traveling procession of Bix and company. The puddle reflections...wow!
Or maybe the waterfall city--that was another good one.
Or the Gallimimus/erhm, what dinosaur, starts with O? jousting place.
Or...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B][COLOR=chocolate]
--[i]Watership Down[/i], yes!
[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I forgot about that one! People think it's strange to be reading a book about rabbits, but I even got one of my friends who doesn't like to read...to read it...and she loved it :D. I think I've started that book 3 different times, and only finished it once :blulaugh: [/color]

I love most of these books that you guys are talkin about...but I read this one the other day, it's called Girl with a Pearl Earring. It's by umm.....grrr....i can't remember! Oh well, it's a really good historical fiction that centers around a fictional muse of the Dutch painter Vermeer. It's kind of a coming of age story, in a way, but it's really quite good....I recommend it!

Also, definitely anything at all by Michael Crichton. I absolutely :love: LOVE:love: everything and anything he writes. You should try a book of his called A Case of Need...it's set when abortion was illegal and that's what it's about too...Check it out sometime, it's really great! Laters, cool guys :rotflmao: !

[COLOR=chocolate]Even though the book [i]Watership Down[/i] is long (400 pages) and about rabbits, it is definitely worth a read! Especially the bit about the tyrant General Woundwort. The only thing is, in order to get the full effort of why Woundwort is so awful is to read how the bucks begin their journey in their search for freedom. (In a way, I guess you could say it is a parody--well, um, maybe that's not the word I want to use, but *shrugs*--of the events leading up to and involving the American Revolution.) [/COLOR]

Guest Master O Beans
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Navi [/i]
[B]read a clockwork orange as well... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah - I read that over the summer...that's definitely a struggle to get through!! at least I thought so.

I don't really have anytime for pleasure reading anymore though, the last book I read was "The Hobbit" it was really good too. Right now I'm trying to read "The Inferno"...but lack of time, and the fact that it's really hard to read = little progress. But perhaps I'll do that over break..which starts Thursday! yay!:whoops: :wave:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B][COLOR=chocolate]Even though the book [i]Watership Down[/i] is long (400 pages) and about rabbits, it is definitely worth a read![/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]OHH!! I've read that book!! Lol, it's one of the few I've actually ever read. It is a good book, but my favorite rabbit type book would be [u]Perloo the Bold[/u] by Avi, I liked it, I read it all in one night even though its about 30 chapters long.. though, each chapters only about 3-5 pages long :p

Another good book is [u]And Then There Were None[/u] by Agatha Christie. I liked that one as well. And you can never leave out a classic like [u]20,000 Leagues Under the Sea[/u] :D[/SIZE]