OtakuBoards

Anime Suggestions

Guest chobitslover90

Guest chobitslover90
can anybody suggest any good action animes for my friend that have came out on dvd in america (preferably in box sets)?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Doomberg
a good action series I would segest would be fist of the north star,or if you like sci fi ghost in the shell stand alone complex[I own it and it rocks]also the second seison is called 2nd gig. :animesmil

Guest chobitslover90
i heard ghost in a shell was good but there are so many parts of the same series and my friend being a light anime fan would be confused (just like i was when i saw how many evangalion series there were jeez!)can anyone tell me which the best one is pleez

Er... there's only one Evangelion series.

Similarly, there's only one Ghost in the Shell TV series. It's fifty-two episodes long (just two seasons--not that complicated), but no box sets have yet been released.

The Read or Die OVA--not the TV series--is short, self-contained and has many well-done action scenes. It would help if you clarified what kind of action you're looking for, though (e.g. samurai action, mecha, something with guns, psychic powers, whatever). I do think s-CRY-ed is a nice example of a solid battle-oriented series. It's been packaged into three two-disc collections (under Bandai's "Anime Legends" line), so getting it shouldn't be that much less convenient than picking up a box set.

~Dagger~

Guest chobitslover90
well it sure as heck didnt seem like there was only 1 kind of evangalion when i first started watching anime i probably should have clarified that i thought that evangalion was many different series ,not that i do now sorry :o

[COLOR=Purple]Alright, around 1 year ago I picked up a PS2 controller, played Sly Cooper, and before I knew it I was completely uninterested in anime and had around 100 video games.

In the meantime, anime has been booming and I've been missing out. Now here I am, one year and 100 games later and I want to get back into anime again. So... where should I start? I like anything with a good story and charachters. The charachters are most important for me. I like all genres.[/COLOR]

Guest chobitslover90
ok first if you didnt alredy get it get chobits his and her circumstances
watch read or die its absolutely crucial after that watch berserk then azumanga dioh
then you would have seen my absolute favorites

some other goodies ive heard of would be fruits basket chrono crusades
also you should take a look at final fantasy unlimited just too lose the edge of pure gaming

the reason i am so zealous about this is beacause a similar thing happened to me
happy animeing

[QUOTE=chobitslover90]ok first if you didnt alredy get it get chobits his and her circumstances
watch read or die its absolutely crucial after that watch berserk then azumanga dioh
then you would have seen my absolute favorites

some other goodies ive heard of would be fruits basket chrono crusades
also you should take a look at final fantasy unlimited just too lose the edge of pure gaming

the reason i am so zealous about this is beacause a similar thing happened to me
happy animeing[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Purple]Holy hell thats a lot. Okay, lets slow down. Wat is His or Her Circumstances? I think I will try Chobits, I've heard a lot about it. Read or Die I've seen and that kicks mondo ***. Berserk I like but it's too dark for me. I like more lighthearted stuff. Azumanga Daioh I might consider, I just don't like that there is so little storyline. I know I'm going to buy Fruits Basket thats already been determined, Chrono I'll consider, and FF I'll buy eventually just because it's FF.

Anyone else?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Hug Monster][COLOR=Purple]Alright, around 1 year ago I picked up a PS2 controller, played Sly Cooper, and before I knew it I was completely uninterested in anime and had around 100 video games.

In the meantime, anime has been booming and I've been missing out. Now here I am, one year and 100 games later and I want to get back into anime again. So... where should I start? I like anything with a good story and charachters. The charachters are most important for me. I like all genres.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
You don't mind if I ask as well? Wouldn't make sense to clutter the forum with recommendation threads...

I'm an action-holic. I favor swordsplay (Rurouni Kenshin) and martial arts animes, but I also like gunplay as well. I don't really care much for the romantic type animes (maybe because I'm cold-hearted ^_^) I'm not into the kiddish shows. I don't particularly care for comedy, but if it's in there with the action (something like Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop) I'll watch it.

Anyways.... These are the animes I've seen and enjoyed.

Cowboy Bebop ***
Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X, all the movies)***
Yu Yu Hakusho***
Samurai Champloo
Vandread (where'd that come from)***
Ghost in the Shell: SAC***
Hellsing***
RahXephon
Gungrave
Ninja Scroll
Trigun***

Current shows that're being watched:

Evangelion (I'm somewhat disappointed in this)
Naruto (I can't really say that I'm enjoying it right now... seems more like inuyasha in a better form to me.)
Scryed (every now and then)
Inuyasha (..... I'm on the verge to stop following this show)
Full Metal Alchemist (every now and then.... I have urges to get pissed off at this show)

That's pretty much it. As you can see, I haven't seen many animes. My resources are very limited. As I don't have the time to download anime off the internet. I can only buy them or watch what's on tv. The shows with the stars are the ones I've enjoyed the most, and hoping to see shows on a similar basis. The shows don't have to have the same concept or anything. (Mainly just great action and I can be hooked)

Edit: I'll update this seeing that some of you are suggesting mangas.

The only mangas I've been reading are Naruto (I just read 284 yesterday) and Bleach. (204 day before yesterday) So I'm up-to-date on those.... ^_^

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Hmm... anime released/completed just this year?

As an avid GITS fan, I'd advise you to get [b]Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig[/b]. Even if the plot doesn't get you (took some time for me to figure it out), surely you will appreciate the aesthetics. It's chockful of lovely 2D and 3D animation (bleded seamlessly into each other) and action-packed sequences. I lovesss it to pieces.

[b]Bleach[/b] is another recent anime that I highly recommend otakus to watch. The plot's fathomable, the characters are interesting (well, 'tleast in the way they're presented) and it's a good mixture of comedy, action and (a bit of) drama.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raya][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][b]Bleach[/b] is another recent anime that I highly recommend otakus to watch. The plot's fathomable, the characters are interesting (well, 'tleast in the way they're presented) and it's a good mixture of comedy, action and (a bit of) drama.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Purple]That souns a bit much like Yu Yu Hakusho... is it's just a lot of action and humor with a slapstic storyline and characters like Yu Yu Hakusho which tries to create drama by showing the charachters like fighting to save each other, Im not interested, YYH just got very annoying doing that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]We all have our moments of forgetfulness :animeswea
[b]My recommendations:[/b]
[i]Rurouni Kenshin
Orphen[/i] <-----a bit old but it's still really good
[i]Naruto[/i] (manga [u][b]ONLY[/b][/u], they destroyed the anime with the English dubbing but you'll have to see for yourself)
[i]DNAngel
Wolfs Rain
Chobits[/i] (I know everyone else said it too but it really is good)[/COLOR]

[color=darkslateblue] Right now the only things I'm interested in are Fullmetal Alchemist (anime AND manga) and the Naruto manga. All three have a good storyline (FMA especially... it's pretty much the first of its kind*), and I personally think FMA has the greatest character development ever.

The Naruto and FMA manga are readily available to anyone with a quick search on Google (PM me if you're interested), and the FMA anime series is airing on Adult Swim. Of course, it doesn't really take a rocket scientist to find the many bittorrents of the whole series around the internet (and it has about two filler episodes, max).

The reason I'm not really recommending the Naruta anime is because there are so many useless filler arcs that you'll probably want to kill yourself half-way through. There's already 100+ episodes, which I wouldn't bother downloading. Best bets for anyone is to just stick to the manga, wait for the current Naruto anime filler arc to be over, and then start watching new episodes after it.

*As in the first anime to introduce alchemy as one of the main parts of the show, fresh main character design, the manga is basically amazing times ten, great plot, I freaking love this fandom. [/color]

[COLOR=Purple]Here, let me tell you what I've already got (NOTE I will put complete if I have the complete series, an ^ means I want to continue the series)

Manga:
.hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT BRACELET (complete)
Dragon Hunter
FLCL (^)
Gatekeepers
Getbackers
Hellsing (^)
Inuyasha (^)
King of Bandits Jing (^)
Naruto (^)
One Piece
Ragnarok (^)
Rave Master (^)
Rurouni Kenshin (^)
Saiyuki
Samurai Deeper Kyo

Anime:
.hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT
.hack//SIGN (^)
Escaflowne the Movie
Full Metal Panic
Generator Gawl (^)
Haibane Renmei (unsure)
King of Bandits Jing (complete)
Hellsing
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Orphen
Rahxephon
Record of Lodoss War (complete)
Robotech (^)
Rurouni Kenshin (^)
S.Cry.Ed (^)
Samurai Deeper Kyo (^)
Saiyuki
Samurai X (^)
Serial Experimants Lain (unsure)
Soul Hunter (complete)
Soultaker
Tokyo Babylon
Transformers the movie
X (^)

So I already know those ones. Some of them I will continue eventually, Im not really worried about anime as I like manga much, much more, so focus more on that. I know that I am going to buy the next volume of Ragnarok very soon and I want to get fruits Basket volume one as well. Anything else I should pick up?[/COLOR]

Guest chobitslover90
watch great teacher onizuka or read the manga their both good (if your into that kinda thing)

oh yea and is abenobashi any good i was thinking about buying the series on dvd ?

[COLOR=Purple]Oh yeah! GTO! Thanks man! *hugs chobitslover* I remember I saw the first 3 episodes and fell in love with it, but I had no money! I'll get that too.

Abenobashi is funny as hell. Each episode follows the two main chrachters fighting their way through another anime cliche and their family keeps showing up as strange side charachters. The show, while innocent in the fact that it doesn't have blood pr nudity, is funny in a very sexual way i.e. its chock full of sex jokes, so don't let the little kiddies get a hold of it.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Raya][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Hmm... anime released/completed just this year?

As an avid GITS fan, I'd advise you to get [b]Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig[/b]. Even if the plot doesn't get you (took some time for me to figure it out), surely you will appreciate the aesthetics. It's chockful of lovely 2D and 3D animation (bleded seamlessly into each other) and action-packed sequences. I lovesss it to pieces.

[b]Bleach[/b] is another recent anime that I highly recommend otakus to watch. The plot's fathomable, the characters are interesting (well, 'tleast in the way they're presented) and it's a good mixture of comedy, action and (a bit of) drama.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Not just this year.

I just seen the 1st episode of Gits: 2nd gig this past Saturday. I do plan on going after it. It's a must buy for me ^_^.

As far as Bleach goes. I only read the manga. (that is until it the anime comes to US shores) My time is very limited, and my computer is too crappy to download the animes.

[quote name='Gaara kun][COLOR=Navy][i]Naruto[/i] (manga [u][b]ONLY[/b][/u'], they destroyed the anime with the English dubbing but you'll have to see for yourself)[/COLOR][/quote]

Tell me 10 ways they "destroyed" the anime. I will not count voice acting, editting out blood, the new intro, or the cutting of the Naruto-Sasuke "kiss" scene as reasons. Also, you are not allowed to predict future edits because those probably won't happen. And before you say "THEY RUINED HAKU!!!1!1!" since you haven't watched the recent episodes, Haku is still a boy in the dub.

OK. Now you have no choice but to give in to me.

Guest chobitslover90
[color=navy][size=1]Please stop double-posting, and please start using punctuation more liberally. Thanks.

- Dagger[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Hug Monster][COLOR=Purple]Oh yeah! GTO! Thanks man! *hugs chobitslover* I remember I saw the first 3 episodes and fell in love with it, but I had no money! I'll get that too.

Abenobashi is funny as hell. Each episode follows the two main chrachters fighting their way through another anime cliche and their family keeps showing up as strange side charachters. The show, while innocent in the fact that it doesn't have blood pr nudity, is funny in a very sexual way i.e. its chock full of sex jokes, so don't let the little kiddies get a hold of it.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

hey i remember abenobashi now i just found some dvds lying around my house that i bought last year but never got around to watchin and you chould watch excel saga if you like abenobashi and np about gto i just saw a preview for it on a real bout highschool dvd (which you should check out as well)

HUGS ROCK!!! YEA!!

------

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Tell me 10 ways they "destroyed" the anime. I will not count voice acting, editting out blood, the new intro, or the cutting of the Naruto-Sasuke "kiss" scene as reasons. Also, you are not allowed to predict future edits because those probably won't happen. And before you say "THEY RUINED HAKU!!!1!1!" since you haven't watched the recent episodes, Haku is still a boy in the dub.[/quote]

OK. Now you have no choice but to give in to mwait therses still something left ok heres the 10 things
s
e
x
y
j
u
t
s
u
!

Guest chobitslover90
[quote name='sbsp13668][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]I think Inuyasha would be a very good place to start but that's just my opinion! :catgirl:[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

Yes shes right but while your watching that take a look at ranma 1/2 (the manga is hard to find but slightly better than the anime if only for the price tag sorry viz)

oh and btw if you can read the manga in my opinion its better than the animated series if your a guy if not stick with the animated series

[QUOTE=chobitslover90][QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]Tell me 10 ways they "destroyed" the anime. I will not count voice acting, editting out blood, the new intro, or the cutting of the Naruto-Sasuke "kiss" scene as reasons. Also, you are not allowed to predict future edits because those probably won't happen. And before you say "THEY RUINED HAKU!!!1!1!" since you haven't watched the recent episodes, Haku is still a boy in the dub.

OK. Now you have no choice but to give in to mwait therses still something left ok heres the 10 things
s
e
x
y
j
u
t
s
u
![/QUOTE]

That was in the original Japanese show tthe exact same way.

Saying you hate that means you hate the show in general whether it is in English or Japanese. That is perfectly acceptable. However, people who hate the dub and think it was "butchered" should be locked up in a mental asylum where they teach you how to... um... have good taste... or something...