Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Yeah, for Creative Writing class I had to make a kids' book (two actually... one for young kids and the other for toddlers). This book I'm about to present is the toddler one since I did it all on computer. It's a picture book about an alligator or crocodile (whichever you want him to be) named Arjal. He wishes to sail on his boat, so he does so, but winds up at an unknown island.

Enjoy.

[center][img]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8016/arjaltitle8yw.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4468/titlepage8zi.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2440/page13be.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2692/page29gk.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1645/page32vh.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2693/page40lm.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1835/page54ne.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7067/page69eu.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/589/page76va.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3420/page84xm.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3895/page96jp.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9520/page108pw.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4986/page114mc.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3734/page121jn.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9274/page138ti.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8645/page146wv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3425/page155by.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4190/page166sg.jpg[/img][/center]

Comments :^D

[b]EDIT:[/b] Pictures are fixed, obviously.
Posted
Well, the future professional upbringer in me says that the book hasn't got much pedagogic meaning in it (besides the obvious "friend in need is a friend indeed").

However, I understand that this isn't meant for the real thing (in the hands of small children), so I have to only raise my inexistant hat for your imaginative and vivid graphics. ;D

With a good writer to work with, I believe you could actually illustrate real children's books! Take it from the soon-to-be-pro. ;D
Posted
Actually, the story teaches don't judge a book by its cover, more or less :P Arjal sees the native squirrels, gets scared, runs, needs help, they help him, he finds out they're not so bad, and they're friends. Ta da :^D
Posted
Oh yeah, that too... Didn't get it from the first glance. ;P

I still stand by my words, though. Great cuddly graphics, but the story needs some development.

Some texts couldn't hurt, either, although I'm not sure to what age-group your aiming that book to. It's a bit too complex for toddlers, and a bit too simple for preschoolers. Definately could use some texts... ;D
Posted
My teacher told me to make a book for toddlers that the parents could read with them. So I didn't do what other people did (books with words), I just made a picture book and let the kids/parents have their own interpretation. To me, though, it's "Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover." But yeah.
Posted
Not bad...
You did a fine job of telling the story through just pictures, and without the use of words. Which is a skill that every good illustrator must learn.

I might have added a little more detail....but being that its a children's book, the simplistic art style works well.

Good job.
Posted
Wow, that was really cute! I love the part were they're all dancing around the fire. The only thing I didn't like was how Arjal's eyes are all <_> he seems really stupid XD but I doubt little kids would gather that.
Posted
I made Arjal goofy looking to appeal to the childrens' sense of humor. They like silly pictures. I wasn't aiming for stupidity, which older kids and adults like us would probably gather. The pictures are also simplistic 'cause I only had a few hours to make this XD
Posted
Haha, very imaginative. XP I liked how you handled the artwork, especially. I always liked the books without words the best when I was little. Frankly, I think they're more conducive to learning than books where the child is told precisely what's happening.

What's that font you used called? I like it a lot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...