OtakuBoards

Raising Children

Queen Asuka

I was just thinking...

When you all get good and ready to have kids, how are you planning on raising them? I want my children to be geniuses...so I'm going to read to them every single day until they can read for themselves. I'm going to teach them to be intelligent and mature individuals. I also want my kids to try out different stuff...so I'm going to let them try extreme sports and play musical instruments. But anyway...It was just a thought I had...

[SIZE=1]Well, I'm gonna raise my kid(s) to be their own. I'm not gonna give 'em toys and stuff to play with, I'm gonna give 'em a shovel and see what they can make of it :D I'll let them do most anything they want as long as its nothing bad. I'll need to keep the punk/alternative/rock influence in 'em so they don't grow up to be bad people (aka trendy, preppy, poser, etc) Hehe :p[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Well, I'm gonna raise my kid(s) to be their own. I'm not gonna give 'em toys and stuff to play with, I'm gonna give 'em a shovel and see what they can make of it :D I'll let them do most anything they want as long as its nothing bad. I'll need to keep the punk/alternative/rock influence in 'em so they don't grow up to be bad people (aka trendy, preppy, poser, etc) Hehe :p[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

A shovel, huh? Now why in the world does that remind me of Osama bin Laden? Oh yeah, must be my school's insane skits from the morning announcements...anywho...

Yeah, I want my kids to listen to that kind of music, too because I hate to see kids who are all the little preppies who ALL listen to rap like it's a gift from God. That gets on my nerves more than anything.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B]

Yeah, I want my kids to listen to that kind of music, too because I hate to see kids who are all the little preppies who ALL listen to rap like it's a gift from God. That gets on my nerves more than anything. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]:therock: I resent that. :p

Actually, my entire school would resent that...heh...sorta stereotypical.[/color]

[B]Yeah, I want my kids to listen to that kind of music, too because I hate to see kids who are all the little preppies who ALL listen to rap like it's a gift from God. That gets on my nerves more than anything. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I hate to see people with intentions to listen to all Rap style music... I despise it!

My children will be influenced in Punk, Metal, Heavy Metal, etc. and I want them to be clever so I will let them watch documentries on TV, and I'll see how they like anime too...[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]

[color=deeppink]:therock: I resent that. :p

Actually, my entire school would resent that...heh...sorta stereotypical.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, 90 percent of my school would resent that. The other 9 percent are rednecks who listen to country AND rap...then the other one percent are the people who like Rock and so forth...and the posers too probably.

[B]

Well, 90 percent of my school would resent that. The other 9 percent are rednecks who listen to country AND rap...then the other one percent are the people who like Rock and so forth...and the posers too probably. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Lol, interesting school :therock:

But do be careful when you generalize...I like both rock AND rap...but since you can't dance to today's rock...I dance to rap...and I enjoy it. Both are good...though I tend to like rap better :)[/color]

[B]

[color=deeppink]Lol, interesting school :therock:

But do be careful when you generalize...I like both rock AND rap...but since you can't dance to today's rock...I dance to rap...and I enjoy it. Both are good...though I tend to like rap better :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I hate rap of today. All it's about is sex. Can't they come up with something better than that to sing about? Oh wait, they DON'T sing, oh well. Well rock can be so mainstream, too....I just hate RAP. No offense to you, though.

[B]

Well, I hate rap of today. All it's about is sex. Can't they come up with something better than that to sing about? Oh wait, they DON'T sing, oh well. Well rock can be so mainstream, too....I just hate RAP. No offense to you, though. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]My veiws exactly... RAP SUCKS period.[/SIZE]

[color=crimson] I think I will let my kids choose their own kind of music, I think it is all right to let your kids be around the music you like but I doubt very much that it will have much of an impact on your kids. I don't know what kind of parent I will make but I do know that I will allow my children to be individuals and to make their own mistakes. And when I think they need help I will give it to them and when they ask for help I only hope I will be able to be there for them.[/color]

[color=dark-blue](however, I don't like rap either) all hail the Lizard King:flaming: [/color]

[color=royalblue]I really don't like all that much rap of today, mostly because, yes, it is all about sex and gettin some booty. I dance to it all the time though, but I have found that contrary to popular belief, you can dance to today's rock and roll. It's a matter of interpretation. And there's always slam dancing and moshing too. Both of which are very much fun until somebody loses an eye. heh...anyways, my kids are gonna rock if I ever have any, that is. They will grow up on bands like the Sex Pistols and the Ataris...and such blah. This is getting long and boring, so I think I will stop now. bye bye

peace, love, and punk rock forever :flaming:
Katie/Athena[/color]

If I ever have kids I want to try really hard not to impose any of my preferences on them. I want to show them all the different types of music, teach them about all of the religions, philosophies, make sure they are well educated and then let then decide for thenselves. I think it's very important in our culture dominated by marketing as it is that kids are left to form their own opinions about things, armed with as much knowledge as we can give them. The only thing I will teach my kids are morals and mannars as these cannot be learned from birth, and then they are on their own. Of course I will always be there if they want any help or guidance, but only if they ask.

Yeah, it's kinda... impossible for me to have kids....

If I do adopt... depends on what my partner wants... then I'll raise them to be smart, but they'd know how to have fun... They'd probably play sports, if they wanted... growing up with two dads might make his/her life difficult. They'd be open minded and able to speak their own opinion to me and hopefully others, about anything. They be able to think what they think. They wouldn't be influenced by others. An open mind is the most important thing.

[B]

Well, I hate rap of today. All it's about is sex. Can't they come up with something better than that to sing about? Oh wait, they DON'T sing, oh well. Well rock can be so mainstream, too....I just hate RAP. No offense to you, though. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]No offense taken ;)

The only thing wrong with saying all rap is about sex is: that's like me saying all rock is about wanting to kill yourself and hating the world. Generalizations suck...so do stereotypes.

*shrug* Go figure.[/color]

[b]Ah heck, people sure do change...Afore, I used to despise rap/garage, and now I'm some weirdo that likes that stuff...
But I don't really fit into any group. I like songs, rather than bands, but Gorillaz, Oxide & Neutrino, and So Soild Crew, are mainly what I prefer...
(Last 2 are Garage MCs and DJs from London)[/b]

like transic said, the most important thing is an open mind, thatis what my parents have gifted my bro and me with. i shudder to think what kind of redneck i'd b if i had been raised by one of my uncles or my grandparents. don't get me wrong, i do love them, but when my grandpa and uncle get going about those **** mexes, i just want to scream :mad:
yeah, my parents taught me that even if i disagree with how another person lives, or who they are, it doesn't mean that i have any right to judge them, that's the main thing i want to give to any kids i may have in the future.
another thing i would do is encourage them to try out stuff, like different sports, jobs, or other activities (just as long as they're not any harmful ones)

Me? I'll try to expose my kids to all kinds of things, and let them chose for themselves. Because the chances are that if you force them into something they end up hating it. I've seen it happen before. As for music, they can listen to whatever, but I'll monitor, so they won't end up sounding like rappers.:smirk:

I sing and write songs that are mostly R&B, so if they get my singing genes, chances are that they'll follow suit. But I'll listen to whatever I hear and like. (Can't really stand country though)

[color=indigo]I would raise my kids to be open-minded and really quite tolerant because that is the one thing I hate about people today....the closed-mindedness....it drives me crazy. There's nothing I can do about it, though. I just don't want my kids to end up like that. I'll let them learn everything they want to know and if they ask me why, I'm not gonna just say because. I'll tell them what I know and if they want more, I'll help them look it up somewhere or ask some people who would know. As for the music deal, I'd let them listen to anything, but I would most definitely raise them on good old rock and roll. If they end up listening to people like Britney Spears *gag* I'll still love em. This is only if I have kids, which is an incredibly huge if. Well I'm gonna hafta leave it at that....Laters cool guys!

love yas
Katie[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl[/i]
[b][COLOR=deeppink]but since you can't dance to today's rock...I dance to rap...[/COLOR][/b][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]Lol, you can too dance to todays rock... it's just a different [i]kind[/i] of dancing! :gulp: What do you think we do at shows? Sit there and :smoke: or :alcohol: or whatever? You just gotta go with the flow after you find it :bow: Hehe, it's great fun I tell ya.. I've heard just about every kind of music out there in my lifetime so I believe I do have the right to judge it, and I've settled the punk/ska/emo/rock/alternative :cussing: is the best! :hippy: And that's how I would want my kid to grow up.[/SIZE]

I'm not sure I want to have kid. I do like babies, they're very cute.
If I ever have kid, I would raise them to be open mined and well-manner. I won't force to study hard to get a very high grade or make them be the best. I just let them be themself and enjoy their life.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Lol, you can too dance to todays rock... it's just a different [i]kind[/i] of dancing! [/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]This is tru'...perhaps I should specify before I post :blush:

I [i]personally[/i] cannot dance well to today's rock...I can jump around to it if I have enough energy or if I've had enough sugar...but my real self comes out when I'm listening to the ghetto stuff. That's when I get down and dirty...er...yes :rotflmao:[/color]

[B][color=deeppink]but my real self comes out when I'm listening to the ghetto stuff. That's when I get down and dirty...er...yes :rotflmao:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]Hehe.. :flasher: You get down and dirty in mosh pits... but it's not quite the same way your talking about I dont think, lol. You should listen to some Pomeroy, they're a local band here and have a pretty neat sound to 'em, you could probably dance to it, 'specially the song "Roboflow" lol, I've been looking for it to put in my sig but have not been successful, but ya... man this topic is kinda off topic, lol... Though you can't really talk about raising children without talking about yourself (that goes to most here, not all) because we're still being raised ourselves...[/SIZE]

You can get down and dirty in mosh pits and listening to rap....i do both all the time...there's a club downtown that has teen night every now and then and you should see me when I get up on the bar...;) heh heh heh....spotlight and everything. I'd let my kids do that...dancing is a huge part of my life, so why should I deprive them of it? I just wish my mom would let me do stuff like parties more often...i had one last night and it was crazy...i have bruises from the mosh pits and my legs are sore from gettin "down and dirty" and it totally rocked!! Laters yous guys:smooch: :whoops: :D