OtakuBoards

Favorite Toonami Show

Guest the_band_guy

Guest the_band_guy
Whats your favorite toonami show? Mine is Naruto then One Piece

[SIZE=1][INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed]the_band_guy,
At Otakuboards, post quality and content are very important. This is because it's a forum for discussion rather than just spammy lists. Favourites threads are not allowed because they usually create spammy posts like yours.
Fortunately, this thread was saved by the EVA Unit 100 and Ayokano who both had great posts. They explained their choices and made an effort to use proper grammar and spelling.
In the future, if you create a thread with such a poor opening post again, it will probably be closed.
[b]If the posts in this thread degenerate into spammy lists, it will be closed.[/b] -Arvi[/COLOR][/INDENT][/SIZE]

One Piece WOULD be my favorite had it aired uncut instead of the hackjob that we got.

So in our real-world situation, the best show on Toonami is by far Justice League Unlimited. The characters, storylines, humor, animation, action, voice-acting, and soundtrack are all top notch. Once JLU is over Naruto will be the best show airing on Toonami. Despite Naruto's dozens of flaws, it still manages to have a heart and soul to it that many other kid-oriented shows lack as well as the universal appeal of ninjas kicking ***. Other than that, no real reason to watch Toonami other than the return of IGPX and special events such as Month of Miyazaki. Zatch Bell is watchable and Bobobo is so awful that it's ingenius, but the dub of One Piece is the worst dub since Warriors of the Wind and the 7PM is always wasted on filler and toy commercial shows. Toonami has shown improvement lately in terms of presentation and making things special. They have some good long-running shows. They just need a few new shows to liven things up. Bleach is a lost cause for Toonami but perhaps Prince of Tennis or Black Cat could join the block (or FUNi finally convinces CN that shojo is worth it and decides to air Furuba or Kodocha on Toonami, but when has that ever been even close to happening?). In a nutshell, Toonami's doing well as a programming block. That doesn't mean I have to watch half of their programming.

Old school wise, Thundercats or Ronin Warriors.

Nothing on Toonami has ever really interested me though. I liked most of the Gundam series they've aired, my favorites being Mobile Suit Gundam and The 08th MS Team. Even though Gundam Wing really started the more mature side of it, I never saw much of it. And G Gundam had a whacked out and confusing story.

Those or Big O and Blue Submarine No. 6. Both, like the Gundam series, were much more mature than pervious material. Blue Sub's CGI really blew me away as a kid, because I had never seen a cartoon with special effects like that. And Big O was Batman cool.

Too bad Toonami is back to airing more kiddy base stuff. That, and they got rid of their weekly schedule, to replace it with even [b]MORE[/b] kid stuff.

[size=1]I'm not much of a fan for Toonami.
When I was younger, around first/second/third grade, when they had Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo on Toonami, I loved watching it. Moreso for Sailor Moon. And they stopped the show at such a dramatic spot, I wanted to shoot my television.
And Tenchi Muyo, they aired it for a while afterwards, but then I wasn't as interested to watch it anymore because Sailor Moon was gone, replaced by more episodes of Tenchi.

Now, most of Toonami's shows don't interest me at all. I like Naruto, but they severely editted that show so it'd be okay for kids to watch. I liked Rurouni Kenshin when it was on, too. Once again, that was taken off.

Oh well. :rolleyes: [/size]

Rurouni Kenshin was one of my favorites. It stayed true to most of the manga and the animation looked like Watsuki-san's original art. They aired all of the episodes through the Kyoto arc. The rest of the episodes were just filler because they never animated the Jinchuu arc, so it did not bother to not see them.

Another show I liked was Yu Yu Hakusho, whch is older than a lot of anime but still one of my favorites (I am not a Hiei/Kurama fangirl, either). They did a decent job with the voices, and I can understand if they had to edit some parts. Goodness knows how much we hate violent television in America. :rolleyes:

Sadly, both are of Toonami. The Naruto edit isn't too bad, but I think that the past anime were better.

*edit* This is April 1, 2006. Last ep. of Yu Yu Hakusho was shown. Because it was on at [B]5:30 AM[/B]:mad:, and because I have not seen one ad for that time-slot, I did not get to watch. If they do continue to air it, it will be months before it is on again. This does [I]not[/I] make me a happy girl. Revenge will be exacted wthin 48 hours.

[quote name='hey_love']Now, most of Toonami's shows don't interest me at all. I like Naruto, but they severely editted that show so it'd be okay for kids to watch.[/quote]

They editted Sailor Moon, Tenchi, and Kenshin more than they editted Naruto.

Geez, I find it extremely obnoxious that people find it COOL to diss the Naruto dub. It was done better than anything else to air on Toonami and yet people still try to insult it in any way they can.

Yu Yu Hakusho, and by several miles, except that it's no longer part of their line-up. I suppose it's cliche to say that I miss the old days of Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Big O, all things Tenchi, et al, but I do. :p

The good side of this is that similar shows are, more often than not, shuttled over to Adult Swim and hence air with far fewer cuts. Nevertheless, I have very little interest in most of Toonami's programming (I would have kept watching Zatch Bell if you put out uncut DVDs, Viz!). At least it's doing well in the ratings.

~Dagger~

I don't get the whole "I miss the old days" routine most people have. Yes, the presentation was great back then and there was much more fan interaction (I have all the episodes of The Intruder downloaded on my computer), but most of the programming itself just wasn't that great. Thundercats and the like are only good for nostelgia (and I'm too young to be nostelgic about them, therefore I find them to be crap). DBZ and Sailor Moon are mediocre shows that were only hurt by subpar dubbing. Gundam Wing was awesome when it came out but when compared to the UC Gundam shows and even SEED there's very little to get excited about outside of the Endless Waltz movie. Tenchi's hilarious at first but eventually spins into a cycle of dull repetition. Outlaw Star is a good show but the editting for airing it on Toonami was simply too much. Toonami essentially only had 4 really solid shows back in the 1997-2001 era: Batman, Reboot, The Big O, and The 8th MS Team (5 if you count the on-again, off-again Powerpuff Girls). Several of the shows people miss that Toonami used to air (i.e. Kenshin, YYH, MEGAS) actually came out after the so-called "golden age" was over. Looking at Toonami today, they also have about 3 or 4 really solid shows: Justice League Unlimited, Naruto, IGPX, and occasionally Zatch Bell, along with an arsenal of amazing movies (honestly, who 5 years ago would believe that PRINCESS MONONOKE of all movies would be airing uncut on Toonami?). The presentation has been improving as of late (the music video and Guitar Hero review they did last Saturday were both awesome, and they seem to be using new bumpers), but there are still a few things lacking with Toonami. Actually, only 2 things really: variety and fan interaction. Toonami currently is dominated by Shonen Jump and they need something to spice things up. A shojo show and/or a more serious ongoing series (I'm thinking they could possibly have Bandai give them Mai Hime and Gundam SEED Destiny to fill both those requiremetns) would make the block seem that much more edgy like it was back in the day. And we need some sort of contest, poll, Total Immersion Event, or at least a less-sucky website just to show a higher level of communication with the fans. Toonami is not at its best currently, but it is arguably the best we've seen in a while.

Now let's do something fun: post your ultimate Toonami schedule using any shows that they've aired since they started! Have fun!

Here's mine:

7.0: Justice League Unlimited
7.5: Samurai Jack
8.0: Yuyu Hakusho
8.5: The Big O
9.0: MEGAS XLR
9.5: Rouroni Kenshin
10.0: Naruto
10.5: Gundam SEED

:cool:

My-HiME is [i]soooooo[/i] not shoujo. :animesmil

It would also never fly on Toonami, given some of its content. I wish to the high heavens that Adult Swim would take it, but I guess AS isn't ready for a show with a female-dominant cast. Even if it's made of pure rocking coolness plus a sprinkle of awesome.

I'm not madly in love with any of the series I mentioned, but the point is that I like all of them better than what's airing now (disregarding the Miyazaki movies, as they aren't a regular feature). Even more so than nostalgia--seriously!--that's just the way my tastes run.

~Dagger~

I have to say that I miss alot of the shows played in toonami's early days. I miss shows like Ronin Warriors and Thunder Cats. Yu Yu Hakusho is still on the line up, but it plays at 5 am on saturday mornings. I know this because I have the DVR so I've been watching. They have actually carried the series to completion this way since october.

But by far, the show I most miss on Toonami has to be, no surprise, Outlaw Star. I don't care if they finished it, I still want to see it again. It was a good show and they can run it again. It's been too long since that last time I saw that particular series.

I personally miss the daily toonami routine, and I am not a fan of this new thing they've got, Muguzi. That's Toonami's slot, that's where it belongs dammit.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I like YuYu Hakusho, (even though I have no idea when it's on... :animeswea) which is the whole reason I got into manga, but I won't bore you people with that story. I thought the Naruto dub was cool for a while, and then I got really critical about the amount of editing and script changing VIZ did to it. (I mean, com'n, when Nauto-kun bumps into Haku-san, in the original it didn't get all serious-- it got pouty! :animeangr) I'm also fairly fond of Zatch Bell, though they made it, too, a bit overly dramatic... And I love Rurouni Kenshin (and my reaction to when Shonen Jump proves it) though I don't think it's on the mineup, now, is it? (Even my mom likes Ruro. Ken.:animesmil) I liked G Gundum, while it was on, and that was pretty much it for the Gundum series-- I could never understand the other series' (probably because I pop in in the middle and can't decipher the plot...:animedepr)
I remember watching Toonami: Midnight Run after Cartoon Cartoon Fridays when I was little (and had Dish) and absolutely [I]loved[/I] the Tenchi series and Outlaw Star (how I miss those shows, now... :animecry:) and I thought that the ending themes were the coolest ever (despite the fact that I was unaware that they were anime and the ending themes were in Japanese.)
I think that the Midnight Run was way awesomer (my own word) than what they have now. The shows were cooler, and although they were still edited, they were less so than the shows on now are. I guess that could have been because that could be what later evolved into Adult Swim... I dunno-- that's just my theory...[/COLOR]

[quote name='Dark Neko-Chan][COLOR=DarkRed']I like YuYu Hakusho, (even though I have no idea when it's on... :animeswea) which is the whole reason I got into manga, but I won't bore you people with that story....[/COLOR][/quote]
Yu Yu Hakusho comes on at 5:30 on Saturday mornings. Unfortunately, the last episode aired today. Who knows how long they'll continue to air it now.... I wish they do start over but from the Dark Tournament (I still haven't seen most of those episodes.)

Here I am getting off-topic. My favorite show on Toonami. Hmm, when it was on IGPX. I know alot of people thought there was no story and such, but it still had what I like in animes. (animation, good voice acting, and most of all action.)

When Naruto did come on tv I did look at a few episodes, but unfortunately this was also the time where I started reading Bleach. And everytime I would look at Naruto I would lose interest in it. (And I would normally download Naruto mangas everytime there was a new chapter.) Now Naruto wasn't really all that bad atleast in my eyes it wasn't. (Granted that I've never seen the sub version.... don't plan to either.) My quarrels with it was due to most of Naruto himself. (Hell, I don't like any of the main characters outside of Kakashi) I don't like him. I can't stand those that seeks attention by playing jokes all day. Another thing was the voice acting.... (I know, most have heard it more times than they care to remember) I don't really get annoyed by anyone except for Naruto himself. (Believe it is something I can't bare to keep hearing in every episode.) But that wasn't it. I mostly found the voice acting in Naruto rather dull and boring. I nearly found myself halfway asleep listening to Sasuke and Kakashi. (So I guess in some ways you can say Bleach made me stop liking Naruto.... both the anime and manga)

But enough about that. I missed out on most of the shows back in the day. (The tenchi's, outlaw star etc etc) My favorite back in the day is Rurouni Kenshin. Even though most of it was editted... (I found this out when I actually decided to buy some of the tapes) But in all honesty, I could careless about animes being editted these days. (Especially on cartoon network because you know it's going to be editted if it has alot of blood so there's no point in getting flustered over it any more when you expect it to happen right?)

Another was Yu Yu Hakusho. (Alot more Yu Yu fans than I thought) I didn't see any of the episodes when it use to come on weekdays. I caught it when they aired it on Saturdays. 9:30 I think it came on either right before or right after Rurouni Kenshin went off.

Going back off-topic. (Way off-topic) That Funimation channel, is there any news or talk about it? All I've heard is that there's going to be a funimation channel and then that was it.

[quote name='Sting']Going back off-topic. (Way off-topic) That Funimation channel, is there any news or talk about it? All I've heard is that there's going to be a funimation channel and then that was it.[/quote]

Apparently, they are instead making a syndicated block for late at night on the CW as opposed to an entire ntwork. Smart decision, given that FUNimation doesn't have many shows and a lot of them are on Cartoon Network (DBZ, FMA), AS On Demand (Baki), and IFC (Samurai 7, and wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing Gunslinger Girl next there).

[QUOTE=Starwind]But by far, the show I most miss on Toonami has to be, no surprise, Outlaw Star. I don't care if they finished it, I still want to see it again. It was a good show and they can run it again. It's been too long since that last time I saw that particular series.
.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red]Bro buy the boxset its like $40 now since its been done by anime legends. Outlaw Star was so hacked up it made me sick. They cut out an entire episode. Toonami really went to alot of trouble trying to get that show on the air.

We do owe Toonmai however for introducing pepole to these animes. Althoguh they keep pulling the good shows which is a huge pain.[/COLOR]

Guest Stafal-chan
haha uhh well from a long time ago like shows they don't air anymore i loved Ruroni Kenshin and Yu Yu HAkusho...umm oh way bakc when they had Tenchi Muyo on.now...i like Naruto and Zatch Bell's okay...the month of Miyazaki has ben nice too haha i love one piece it's funny..and strangly i really find Bobo-bobobo to be highly amusing. ^_^..er maybe not strangly i'm kinda weird like that (haha cuz i loved FLCL and that show really jus didn't make sense ^_^)

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']They editted Sailor Moon, Tenchi, and Kenshin more than they editted Naruto.[/quote]

[size=1]Yes, well, I didn't realize that television would be evil enough to edit things like Sailor Moon and Tenchi when I was younger.

And I know they editted Kenshin, but as for what is on right now, I like Naruto, despite the editted version.[/size]

My favorite show on Toonami is One Piece, a old one Tenchi Muyo, and another old one Outlaw Star.
[INDENT]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Indigo][B]Naruto freak[/B], please put a little more effort into your posts. For example you could have explained why the shows you mentioned are your favorite. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff. ~indifference[/COLOR][/SIZE][/INDENT]

Guest Metal Dragon
Definetly Naruto then Zatch Bell. I like both for different reasons.
My little sister likes them both, too.