OtakuBoards

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Dagger

[quote name='KungFuChan']After watching the first episode i wasn't totally hooked it wasn't great after all it just seemed like an anime home video or something low budget...[/quote][font=trebuchet ms]It was meant to seem like that. 'Twas a parody.[/font]
[quote name='KungFuChan']...and the little ending theme song dance is just sweet.[/quote][font=trebuchet ms]By the end of our Haruhi-thon all my friends were trying to dance along, up to speed, while I just held my head in my hands. Apparently you can find videos on YouTube (where else?) where they've slowed it down to make it easier to learn the moves.[/font]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KungFuChan'] i did feel that some parts were some what rushed, not much depth was reached with the explanation of Mikuru from the future and the reason for another future her coming to the present for a brief time.. [/quote]
[spoiler]She came to tell Kyon about "Snow White" so that he would be prepared for the time when he and Haruhi became trapped in closed space.[/spoiler]

It's been confirmed that the R2 DVDs will have the episodes in chronological order. That's fine for Japanese fans who have seen Haruhi on TV, but I actually think it would be a bit of a shame if the show were licensed and released to DVD in North America in chronological order, instead of the broadcast order. Although the licensee probably won't have much choice in the matter.

~Dagger~

• 2 months later...
I've watched it in both chronological and broadcast order. I really love this anime, although I think I enjoyed watching episode 1 much more after watching the anime for a while and knowing a bit about the characters, it made it a lot funnier in my opinon. I would love to have this series on dvd but I'm unsure on how I feel about the show being licensed and released here because I'm not sure how they would handle the ordering of the episodes.

My favorite episode by far is episode 12. I don't know how many times I've watched it...

I know most of the dance by now. Heh.

Oh, and like everyone else I'm sure, I'm hoping for at least a second season.

I've been reading translated versions of the novels recently. SO far I'm part way through Volume 4. ANyway the novels themselves are out of order but the chapters within the novels are the correct order. From what I've read so far there is deffinitely the content available for a second series but it's possible that they won't make it. I do have to say that at times reading chapters of the novels covered by the anime has more perks then watching the show. I mean for the chapter Lone Island Syndrome [spoiler] having a drunk Haruhi is so much funnier than anything in the anime[/spoiler].

• 4 weeks later...
[size=1][quote name='Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS']Where can you find the novels in English? Since watching the series I've been interested in reading them, but I've tried Amazon and drawn a blank.[/FONT][/quote]
The novels haven't been licensed (yet). There's a fan translation project going on at the moment, however. I haven't checked out the novels myself, although I hear that some of the later books are must-reads for Yuki fans... I'm holding out because I figure that surely they'll be animated eventually.[/size]

--------------------------------------

[b]W00t![/b]

[url=http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20061109][u]Moonphase[/u][/url] reports that the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya will air in Fall 2007. But be warned that if you're interested in looking at the actual paragraph about it, you'll have to scroll down quite a bit. Anyway, this is great (albeit not terribly surprising) news. The hard part will be the wait, but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy Kyoto Animation's work on Kanon and Lucky Star.

~Dagger~

OMG I can't wait now. reading the novels I absolutely love the Haruhi Suzumiya series. I hope the second series primarily focuses on the Disappearance of Haruhi novel or the making of the film (similar to how the melcancholy of haruhi novel was the main focus of the first series with extra eps from other chapters)...2 of the best novels so far. But then again I'm only in the middle of reading volume 4.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]2007's looking like a good year all round. [i]Transformers[/i] movie, check; [i]Spiderman 3,[/i] check; now [i]Haruhi[/i] Season Two.

I haven't read the other novels, but I'd love if the new episodes mixed chronology with series one, making it even more fun to figure out the "right" order. Someone told me [spoiler]Kyon does some time travel[/spoiler], so I reckon it could happen.[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][I]Yay for necrophilia! *shot*[/I]

First off, I must say that the whole "Episode-00-is-really-episode-01-and-episode-01-is-really-02" shtick confused the heck outta me. I chickened out and watched episode one first, which was really episode two, so I skipped the REAL episode one, which is really episode zero! GAH!

Anyway, I might be jumping the gun when I say that Melancholy, as I call it, may be the greatest anime ever made after seeing just a single episode, but HOLY COW. I heard so much about it, but it just totally surpassed my expectations. The animation is purdy-ful, the ending theme is ZOMGADDITCINGLOLZ, and it's so bizzare that it might even surpass Excel Saga AND Furi Kuri. I'll just have to wait and see, but this is definately one I'll be keeping tabs on.[/size]

I'm glad you enjoyed it! That's a cute avatar, too. :catgirl:

I look forward to seeing your impressions of the rest of the series... especially the way in which the episodes are ordered and all that fun stuff. It's a stretch to call it crazier than Excel Saga or FLCL, haha, but the show definitely has its wild moments.

If you really dig the animation style, keep Kyoto Animation in the back of your head. They're the studio that did Haruhi, AIR, the second and third seasons of FMP, and Kanon 2006. Their upcoming project, Lucky Star (which will air after Kanon finishes and before the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya), is a based on a 4-koma manga that's similar to Azumanga Daioh, except that the main characters are female otaku. I'm really pumped about seeing their take on it.

Also, all of the series they've done the main animation production for have looked downright gorgeous. FMP: Fumoffu was their first independent project, and it way outshines the visuals GONZO gave us with the original season of FMP--and even then, it's still the weakest of Kyoto Animation's efforts. They've gotten better and better as time goes along.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I need to go edit my post in my top 5 anime of all time thread because this show definetally belongs in it!!! This could even be the best anime ever!!

What other show is this funny while still having a deep, intricate storyline?! What other show can play a first episode full of crazy wacko-ness and horrible MS Paint editing and not even show either of the main characters till the end and still be great?! What other show can go from having an episode where almost nothing happens to the very next one having an epic CG battle so cool your eyes get to big and explode?!?!?!

NONE I TELL YOU!!!!!

And the episode formatting, while scary, is ingenius! One thing that;s always bothered me about many anime -- how is it that the most eciting things conviniently fall at the end of the story? Why does the climax always outweigh the rest of the story? It's obvious why they do it, but it doesn't make sense!!!

In this fashion, the most exciting thing happens [spoiler]in chronology 4, 5, and 6[/spoiler] but they are dispersed so that you still get a wonderful climax without a non-sense-making story!!!

Also, all of this is 100% possible, so it's even more exciting!!! (some people's beliefs contradict this opinion, I don't care!!!)[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
ETA: [b]Best licensing announcement [i]ever[/i][/b].

[url=http://asosbrigade.com/][u]http://asosbrigade.com/[/u][/url]

------------------------------------

[SIZE=1][b]A big heads up:[/b] Haruhi Suzumiya seems to be licensed. That is to say, the bidding war is probably over, but we don't yet know who has grabbed it. Look at the front page of [url=http://www.animeondvd.com/][u]Anime on DVD[/u][/url] for a major hint. (The guy who runs the site has even changed to a Haruhi avatar, haha--darn him for knowing this kind of thing before the rest of us! :p)

In any case, [url=http://asosbrigade.com/][u]this site[/u][/url] looks like the show's English front page... I guess we'll have to wait until the 22nd for more news.[/SIZE]

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#656446]It's a clever marketing strategy, posting updates by the YUKI N. hours before the site launch. For all that hype, I find the video cheesy (props to Mikuru for being such a sweety).

Perhaps it's because Kyon wanted to meet normal people that, being Haruhi's antithesis, the exact opposite happened: after browsing through Kyon's myspace friends, I now firmly believe that he's just the type of guy who attracts odd beings wherever he goes.

PS: [quote][i]Stimuli observed. Reaction most intriguing. Do we do something to induce further actions?[/i][/quote]ASAKURA?!?

PPS: Any news on the second season? Is it [i]really[/i] gonna be Tsuruya-centric?[/COLOR]

[url=http://www.code-geass.com/][u][url]http://www.code-geass.com/[/url][/u][/url]

:animeswea

My favorite part was when the source code (semi-subtly) referenced a big Haruhi fan by username. And when the Anime on DVD user groups changed to Haruhi-related stuff. Heck, the webmaster kept switching his name to Haruhi for a few seconds at a time. Brilliant marketing all around, really. :animesmil

I assume the second season will follow the novels as usual... although it would be hilarious if they did some kind of Churuya + nyoro~n spinoff.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkOrange]XD!!! That was awesome!! And I now need to search down Youtube for a version in which someone has translated Asahina and Yuki-chan's parts.

I can't wait for the US release! I just hope they get a good voice actor for Kyon. His Japanese voice was awesome.

*imagines what a live-action Haruhi show would be like*[/COLOR]

There should be a subbed version of the video posted on the site sooner or later.

Check out [url=http://asosbrigade.com/auditions/a.php][u]this page[/u][/url] to listen to voice clips and vote on an English actress for Mikuru. To say the least, it sounds pretty... er, wild when taken out of context. :animeswea I voted for #2.

Also, the source code messages keep changing a couple of times per day.

~Dagger~

I found translations of the haruhi books, and can't stop reading them! I'm not sure I can wait until next year for the second season of the anime to come out. I'm pretty sure it's going to be taken mostly from "The Disappearance of Haruhi Yuzuriha", and the book was so good I can only just imagine what the anime interpretation will be.

Has anyone else read them? The novels are hysterical. There's a whole book dedicated to how the movie shown in episode 0 came to be, and I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard. There are so many things explained that the anime never touched on (the talking cat, for example), and so much more detail makes every scene in that 'movie' much more memorable.

Vote on [url=http://asosbrigade.com/auditions/arandomfile.php][u]Yuki's[/u][/url] voice!

Also, the video on the main site has indeed been subbed. (Speaking of which, they subtitled "psychics" as "espers." Wow, they really are trying to make everyone happy. :animeswea)

[i]

[/i]

~Dagger~

• 3 months later...
[COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Lol Thread Resurrection.

I recently started to get into this series by watching episode 1 (which I guess is episode 0?), and I am wholeheartedly in love with it. For being a fan video which (I think) has absolutely nothing due with the plot, it was really a joy to watch and made me laugh numerous times. Even without the crazy antics that were going on during the filming, many of the things from the narrator were pretty hilarious.

The reaction of all the group members towards the end of the movie was very amusing. Since they said that they were showing this to a festival of some sort I wonder what their reaction to it will be.

Since the entire series isn't very long (14 episodes if I remember correctly), then I should have this series done some time in two weeks unless I get greedy and watch more than one on the weekend which I probably will. Since I'm really loving this series.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I look forward to your thoughts on the rest of the show. :)

The Haruhi artbox + volume 1 set is absurdly expensive (seriously, anyone who isn't that into the show to begin with should resist the call of the gorgeous design and extras). Still, I'll be getting it... and I'm really curious about the Haruhi cosplay ribbon they're including. Not because I plan on ever cosplaying, but because if it's well-made, it should be cute enough to wear casually.

[i]If[/i] it's well-made. That's what I'm worried about, but we'll see...

~Dagger~

[color=#007520]Heh Heh. I'll be shelling out for the Boxset too.

I would have preordered it on rightstuf but I don't have a credit card. T_T What I'm looking forward too are the CDs. There should be one in each of the releases no?

What really sucks for me is that the boxsets are coming out two or three days after Anime North, the convention I buy most of my Anime/Manga at. No convention discounts for that one unless I can convince a dealer to take my preorder. T_T

-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Well god freaking damn it... this sucks.

That artbox thing is WAY too freaking expensive. I WILL buy it, but I don't even want to think about how much I have to save. And what the cheese?! The special edition of each DVD is 45 bucks?! (or was it 50?!) I can't afford that! I'm not made of money!

This ucks so much because my motto is 'if there is a special edition; buy it!' AND this is my alltime favorite anime, but I don't have this kind of money! that's around 200 bucks for only 13 episodes! I'm sorry but that's rediculous.

(although thank god we aren't in Japan where it came out to the equivelant of 350 or so)

and what's more, the previews for the dubbing sounded like ***. Haruhi's voice acter just plain doesn't work, and I can already invision myself sniping [B]Crispin Freeman[/B] the minute he murders my favorite Kyon lines. I will watch this anime dubbed only once -- when I am showing it to my lil bro -- and never again.

*angry*[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']and what's more, the previews for the dubbing sounded like ***.[/COLOR][/quote][color=#007520]Usually I find myself defending dubs... but this time I'm hoping that they'll sound better than I think they do.

They [i]were[/i] voted in by fans, though, if I'm not mistaken.

-r2[/color]

Some of the voices, but not all of them. They definitely took fans' votes into consideration; they just didn't make that the sole deciding factor (which was the way it should have been, I think).

I'm not that enthused about the dub either. People who went to SakuraCon have said that Crispin Freeman is very, very good as Kyon, but I'm not a fan of Wendee Lee (Haruhi) even at her best.

All the subsequent special editions (after v. 1) really get you are the broadcast order discs and the CDs--and the broadcast order can technically be recreated with the regular editions, if you have the energy for it. I think the CDs might also be sold separately.

~Dagger~

Chrispin Freeman is always a good choice for any character just about, but fits the role of Kyon perfectly. I also get the feeling that Wendee Lee isn't a bad choice for Harhui either (although i personally would rather see Jessica Calvello as the dub actor).

What I want to know is who the dub voice actor for Nagato is going to be. Good choice for her I think would be Luci Christian (played Rico in Gunslinger Girl) or Amanda Winn.